Past Bills teams' Offensive Plays you would like to see Dorsey incorporate in 2023 Bills offense

freddyjj

While we wait for this years version of the Bills to begin their quest for the Super Bowl trophy, I thought it might be a fun exercise to have our members pick a play from Bills history to give to Dorsey for this years playbook.

My selection from the Ground Chuck years ..1980-1982

TE Screen to #86 Mark Brammer

Maybe recreate it with our new #86!

Edited by freddyjj

I just want him to use all the plays that work and to stay away from the plays that don’t work. Is that too much to ask? Also, whatever he is doing I want him to do the other thing. If Josh is throwing deep passes, then he needs to be calling running plays. But if he calls running plays then he needs to be calling deep passes. If Josh is taking checkdowns then I’ll scream at my TV that Dorsey needs to be more aggressive but if Josh throws a deep incompletion I’ll yell at him for not taking what the defense is giving him.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

While we wait for this years version of the Bills to begin their quest for the Super Bowl trophy, I thought it might be a fun exercise to have our members pick a play from Bills history to give to Dorsey for this years playbook.

My selection from the Ground Chuck years ..1980-1982

TE Screen to #86 Mark Brammer

Maybe recreate it with our new #86!

Screen?  With this team?  Are you nuts?

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I just want him to use all the plays that work and to stay away from the plays that don’t work. Is that too much to ask? Also, whatever he is doing I want him to do the other thing. If Josh is throwing deep passes, then he needs to be calling running plays. But if he calls running plays then he needs to be calling deep passes. If Josh is taking checkdowns then I’ll scream at my TV that Dorsey needs to be more aggressive but if Josh throws a deep incompletion I’ll yell at him for not taking what the defense is giving him.

Lol. I think you’re actually serious with this post. “Plays that work.”

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lol. I think you’re actually serious with this post. “Plays that work.”

No, its a joke. It drives me nuts that the same fans who yelled about Tyrod not pushing the ball down the field now want Josh to start checking the ball down. They want what they don't have. Also, every play that doesn't work was the wrong call by the OC. It's never a good defensive play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

No, its a joke. It drives me nuts that the same fans who yelled about Tyrod not pushing the ball down the field now want Josh to start checking the ball down. They want what they don't have. Also, every play that doesn't work was the wrong call by the OC. It's never a good defensive play. 

The reason I laugh at fans complaining about Dorsey is because fans complained about Daboll. I know because I defended Daboll here. 

One of the hardest things to do is replace a top player or coach. The reason is because expectations are at an unrealistic level. Daboll had a top 3 offense so those are the expectations. Dorsey met those expectations but he wasn’t perfect. The offense had some flaws. Improved in some areas but declined in some areas.

We might see a similar situation with McDermott taking over for Frazier. Unless the defense looks much more improved there will be criticism, even if it’s a top 5 defense.

Same thing for the next head coach if McDermott were let go. Our expectations will be so high. Super Bowl or bust. The next coach won’t have a honeymoon period.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I came to say Chan Gailey drawing up screens 

I was thinking similarly.  I couldn't diagram them but I remember Chan drew up some short passes for CJ to get easy completions and give Spiller some space.  I'd like to see that with Cook.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It was crazy how good Fred was at runs up the middle and just how incredible Shady was off tackle. It doesn’t seem feasible that the guys we have now are that much worse…I don’t know why we can’t block up anything run wise. The players on this teams are much better then those drought era Bills teams….we can we never spring any decent runs? It’s been years now. And we have an actual passing game that puts fear in a defense. If anything we should be able to run almost at will. 

not to derail the idea of the thread (which i like)

i would love for Dorsey to ask Diggs to choose 2 plays per week.  One for when we are winning and one for when we are losing.  And promise him i will call at least one of them every single week.

then i would remind him that, as a team leader and Captain, he should sometimes give me plays that dont go to him.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Or crap execution by the offensive players. When plays fail on offense or defense it is always the coordinator's fault. I learnt that here. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.