Bills-Jets week 1

Pete

20 minutes ago, wppete said:

Some Bills confident in Rousseau will be dominant. Hoping he has a huge breakout year starting Monday!!! Let’s go! 

The skills are there. He hasn't become that player who can take over games yet - but I feel like he could this season.  

It would be pretty big for this team's future if he does.  Excited to see how it all starts off on Monday. I have a good feeling he'll be getting to AR a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

Another player I have my eye on Monday is Torrence.

How many times did we see Singletary or another back get the ball, only to immediately run into the defender at the line?

I think Torrence is going to open up holes for the backs that we haven't seen in quite a few years.  I'm excited about seeing Cook & Harris have something to work w/ when they get the ball.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I was referring to the specific statement only you posted that said, "fans will get a good measuring stick of Bills team from week 1".

There's no way to base anything off any team from week 1. 

Really? Care to comment on the KC wide receivers? There's another thread with ample posters talking about their poor WRs. 

Detroit is feeling really good after that big win. They have to have a huge belief that they can compete and beat anyone after that big win on the road against the champs. 

Like I said it's one game don't overreact. You still can get valuable information from one game. 

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Another player I have my eye on Monday is Torrence.

How many times did we see Singletary or another back get the ball, only to immediately run into the defender at the line?

I think Torrence is going to open up holes for the backs that we haven't seen in quite a few years.  I'm excited about seeing Cook & Harris have something to work w/ when they get the ball.

For what? It's just one game and you can't conclude anything from one game. That seems to be the theme of some in here. 

19 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Really? Care to comment on the KC wide receivers? There's another thread with ample posters talking about their poor WRs. 

Detroit is feeling really good after that big win. They have to have a huge belief that they can compete and beat anyone after that big win on the road against the champs. 

Like I said it's one game don't overreact. You still can get valuable information from one game

What about them? They had a few drops and one or two of them had a bad game. Those things tend to happen once in a while.

A couple drops in the very 1st game of the season doesn't mean they automatically have poor WRs

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Some Bills confident in Rousseau will be dominant. Hoping he has a huge breakout year starting Monday!!! Let’s go! 

In large part his preseason tape showed it. He probably had more instant wins off the snap than anyone I've seen in a preseason since Pat Williams, and he didn't have a ton of reps.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

What about them? They had a few drops and one or two of them had a bad game. Those things tend to happen once in a while.

A couple drops in the very 1st game of the season doesn't mean they automatically have poor WRs

Perhaps, that's one way of seeing it. Many are saying the Chiefs need an upgrade at the position. That's after seeing the first game. Both arguments have validity. 

However, it goes completely against your thesis. 

Stop digging your hole Patrick Duffy. Perhaps you should use a measuring stick while digging. It might help even if you just started digging. 

🤔

Edited by newcam2012

5 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

2003 season opener.  Bills shut out the Patriots 31-0.  Buffalo would go into the bye week 4-4 and lose 6 of their last 8.

Patriots went 14-2 and won the Super Bowl.  

Take week 1 with a grain of salt.

I remember that game well. Bills signed Lawyer Malloy on a Tuesday, and he played a heckuva game on Sunday. 

I thought theBills were going places that year. 

On 9/7/2023 at 12:03 AM, Beck Water said:

The Bills overall record against the Jets since Allen was drafted is 7-3, but Allen didn't play 1 of the losses and 1 of the wins

It's probably more reasonable to ask how Allen has played since Saleh took over as Jets HC

Game 1 Bills 45 Jets 17.  Allen 21 of 28 (75%) for 366 yds 2 TD 1 INT rushing 2 for 3 yd, 0 TD  Sacked 0 times.

Game 2 Bills 27 Jets 10.  Allen 25 of 46 (54%) for 254 yds 2 TD 0 INT rushing 5 for 63 including 32 yd long run  Sacked 0 times.

Game 1 Bills 17 Jets 20.  Allen 18 of 34 (53%) for 204 yds 0 TD 2 INT rusning 9 for 86 yd, 2 TD.  This was the game Allen was sacked 5 times and injured UCL

Game 2 Bills 20 Jets 12  Allen 16 of 27 (59%) for 147 yds 1 TD 0 INT  rushing 10 for 47 yd, 1 TD  3 sacks.

Looks to me like he had 1 poor game out of 4 in the last 2 years.  Also looked to me like if the OL keeps him clean, we're good.

Perhaps you might want to explain what you mean by "plays terrible"

Those two game vs Jets last year were the offenses worst of the season. I still cannot shake the one RZ pick Allen threw directly to a defender standing 5 yards in front of him in the RZ lol it was perplexing! 

I don’t think he was terrible, but not up to standard. And with this team the way it’s built, if you’re playing a valid opponent, Allen has to be who he is paid to be.

Maybe the additions of Kincaid, the IOL upgrades and the (hopeful) emergence of Cook as a force will give the Bills another way to win when Allen and the air show is stifled. 

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes Allen was bad that first Jets game… and I don’t think it was anything the Jets did in particular, think he just had an off game… his INT in the 3rd quarter was also another head scratcher right to the defenders chest with no one around him. 

I think it was a combination of running for his life and not seeing the coverage he expected to see. I don't think Dorsey had a good gameplan over all and it just wasn't working.  As the game goes on Allen got frustrated and let emotions get the best of him.

1 hour ago, pennstate10 said:

I remember that game well. Bills signed Lawyer Malloy on a Tuesday, and he played a heckuva game on Sunday. 

I thought theBills were going places that year. 

One of the greatest starts to a season ever, though it did not turn out well in the end.  

2 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

He's a better blocker and much bigger than a WR. But he can run routes and catch like a big WR. Good is relative.

He’s adequate blocker. All he needs to be able to block from the slot . Kelce isn’t in-line. He’s out wide or in the slot

hes on the team bc he’s elite hands , route running and body control 

Edited by balln

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

In large part his preseason tape showed it. He probably had more instant wins off the snap than anyone I've seen in a preseason since Pat Williams, and he didn't have a ton of reps.

Phat Pat may be my favorite Bill of all time but don't forget Kyle Williams first preseason when they had him out there against future insurance salesmen and he was just wrecking everything in sight. :lol:

It was so ridiculous that I convinced myself it was my imagination and didn't believe it was for real until he started embarrassing NFL Guards a few weeks later.

24 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I assume they will do some god awful 9/11 tribute with cops, firefighters, and a huge American flag...

The game will probably start WAY late.

👎

Sorry to hear you'll be inconvenienced <_<

• Like (+1) 10

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Those two game vs Jets last year were the offenses worst of the season. I still cannot shake the one RZ pick Allen threw directly to a defender standing 5 yards in front of him in the RZ lol it was perplexing! 

I don’t think he was terrible, but not up to standard. And with this team the way it’s built, if you’re playing a valid opponent, Allen has to be who he is paid to be.

Maybe the additions of Kincaid, the IOL upgrades and the (hopeful) emergence of Cook as a force will give the Bills another way to win when Allen and the air show is stifled. 

The back view of the red zone pick confirmed that he had the wrong diagnosis of the coverage and was also perfectly screened so he couldn't see the guy who stepped in the lane until just after he decided to throw. Bad coverage, but sorta lucky on the jets part that the guy was perfectly hidden for just long enough behind brown I believe 

27 minutes ago, balln said:

He’s adequate blocker. All he needs to be able to block from the slot . Kelce isn’t in-line. He’s out wide or in the slot

hes on the team bc he’s elite hands , route running and body control 

Kelce lined up on the line 37% of the time last year. 

34 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This game is in NYC on 9/11.

I assume they will do some god awful 9/11 tribute with cops, firefighters, and a huge American flag...

👎

Well, that’s gonna be an unpopular opinion, shared by nobody…

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Thought it was interesting in Stef press conference this week he basically said they've moved past the 1/11th thing.  Said the are asking guys to give more than just their 1/11th - do more than just do your job

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

👎

1st off the game is in NJ. As a New Yorker that lived through 9/11 any tribute they do won't be as awful as living in NYC on that day.  This was easily the dumbest thing I've read in this forum and I've read my amount of dumb things here.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Rodger's over the last two years.  Watch the Youtube video links,  You can see when and the type of Int's he typically throws.

QB Pressure will be our friend on Monday Night and our DL must get their hands up in the air in his face at the LOS.

Year     Passing yards     Passing TD      INT

2022           3.695                 26               12

2021            4,115                  37                 4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlH4adggLb0       2022-23

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm6IKWshN80      2021-22

It's kind of funny but the Lions, Eagles, Saints, really got their share of Int's from him.  More than the any other teams that he faced.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

I'm expecting a prime time win on the road against a division opponent.  I don't care what or how it happens, it must happen.

Are the Jets improved, yes.  Are they talented, yes.  So are we.  

We are built for this ***** and we will prevail. 

This team desperately needs to get the taste of that ridiculous Cincy loss out of their mouths. It will be close and low scoring but we will win.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

👎

Yeah screw all those family's who lost loved ones we want football. Go team. 

(thats sarcasm for anyone who thinks otherwise.)

Edited by Goin Breakdown

There are a lot of reasons to not like the matchup on paper, then add in it is MNF on the road, it is in NYC (ok Jersey) with the 9/11 ceremony, and Rogers, etc.   

Given all that the Bills will probably win by 2 TDs.   

Go Bills!  

15 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

👎

This is just an awful take.   Wow.  

15 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

👎

As a first responder myself I find this post to be disgusting and disrespectful. 

Im going to the game and can’t wait for the ceremonies. 

Be better 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DJB said:

As a first responder myself I find this post to be disgusting and disrespectful. 

Be better 

I’m sorry you saw something like this.

Unfortunately, first responders often hear the urgent (“Help me!” or the complaint (“You didn’t do enough!”)

Today, please hear this:

Thank you for the sacrifice you give to make your community a safer place. May your faithfulness and loyalty to people be an example to many. Thank you for staying committed and doing your part to keep your community the best it can be. Well done!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I remember the season when Brett Favre was a Jet. He was still Brett Favre and the Jets were still the Jets. As I listen to their Rex Ryan style bloviating, I am reminded that no one has ever talked their way into a Superbowl. Yet, the Jets still try.

They brought in Rodgers to distract people from the fact that they, as an organization, are incapable of developing a young QB. Joe Namath and Ken O'Brien were outliers in a sorry history of schmucks. 

I don't deny that Saleh has built a good defense but you can tell that he has effectively ceded head coach authority to Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers, like Russell Wilson, thinks he should have GM like powers and brought in his old buddies from GB in Lazard and Cobb. The NFL is not the NBA but the Jets are now Aaron Rodger's country club. Rodgers might be enough to nudge them into the postseason but country clubs don't work as a football business model.

I too expect a low scoring game but more because the first three weeks of the NFL are effectively preseason quality football. We have the advantage of organizational and roster continuity. The Jets don't. Bills win 24 - 17.

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, stevewin said:

Thought it was interesting in Stef press conference this week he basically said they've moved past the 1/11th thing.  Said the are asking guys to give more than just their 1/11th - do more than just do your job

the 1/11th thing is a nice cliche. Josh Allen is like 80% of this entire team. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.