Bills-Jets week 1

Pete

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Certainly won’t see one any better, that’s for sure. But our O is used to playing dominant front fours. The Oline won’t win every down, but they need to win most of them, especially Dawkins and Brown, who are critical to being able to double QW inside. A tall order to be sure, but a good scheme by Dorsey can mitigate a lot and I have confidence that Allen will continue to do what he always does when things break down. 

The last time we saw our OL Vs a good DL we committed 4829 penalties is 3 minutes.  Or something like that.

I’m not saying that our OL is going to get rolled…..but I think Dorsey needs to call himself a great game.  

Dorsey and OL……. 🙏🏻 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I honestly have no idea what he's talking about

and not for nothing but he also said Hyde wasn't practicing and he actually was out there

I thought to myself that he’s acting a bit differently this year.  Doesn’t seem as self assured.  Almost as if being the DC and calling plays while also being the HC is more difficult that he anticipated.   I feel that he’s feeling the gravity of it all.

or maybe I’m just clueless and have no clue what I’m talking about.

For the DC/playcaller to be unaware of rodgers and HACKetts past is beyond strange 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I thought to myself that he’s acting a bit differently this year.  Doesn’t seem as self assured.  Almost as if being the DC and calling plays while also being the HC is more difficult that he anticipated.   I feel that he’s feeling the gravity of it all.

For the DC/playcaller to be unaware of rodgers and HACKetts past is beyond strange 

it's like Urban Meyer level weird

who knows, maybe he didn't get enough sleep or something. But it's a very odd thing to say

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

McD says few things publicly that don't have a purpose.  His comments about Rodgers and Hackett, to me, send the message that he knows Hackett hasn't "called" a game with Rodgers in his career.

• Like (+1) 4

Bills have the firepower to win this, but when you consider sleepy beane's record in the 2nd round of the draft and our head coach who didn't know hackett was the OC in green bay a few years ago, I think the Jets win by 40. That's not even considering our meme 4th safety who has to be the worst 4th safety in the league by far

Bills 4-13 on the season

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The last time we saw our OL Vs a good DL we committed 4829 penalties is 3 minutes.  Or something like that.

I’m not saying that our OL is going to get rolled…..but I think Dorsey needs to call himself a great game.  

Dorsey and OL……. 🙏🏻 

IMO, the last time we faced a dominant Dline was against Miami in the wildcard game. True, Allen was sacked 7 times but he still managed 352 yards passing and three TD passes. And we only had two penalties for 13 yards in the game. 

16 minutes ago, eball said:

McD says few things publicly that don't have a purpose.  His comments about Rodgers and Hackett, to me, send the message that he knows Hackett hasn't "called" a game with Rodgers in his career.

This (not sure why so many people seem to be confused by it).  At least he didn't reference Nate doing "one of worst coaching jobs ever" (though he was probably thinking it) 😛 

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

Pete Prisco week one pick.

Buffalo Bills (-2.5) at New York Jets

Monday, 8:15 p.m. ET (ESPN, fubo)

The Bills are still the team to beat in the AFC East, even if the Jets have received most of the preseason hype. Yes, Aaron Rodgers got them that, and he will play well, starting here. But the Jets have to learn how to win. Buffalo has won big games and playoff games. That matters. Josh Allen -- remember him? -- gets the best of Rodgers and the Jets. 

Pick: Bills 24, Jets 19 

• Like (+1) 4

53 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Dorsey and OL……. 🙏🏻 

Agree but it's not exactly a ringing endorsement for the Bills. I'm hearing the Bills oline is likely to have problems and issues dealing with the talented Jets Dline. 

Thus, the Bills are reliant on a quality OC Dorsey's play calling. That is a bit concerning after what we saw last season. 

I think the game comes down to Allen playing super man and if any Robins emerge. 

• Dislike 1

30 minutes ago, K-9 said:

IMO, the last time we faced a dominant Dline was against Miami in the wildcard game. True, Allen was sacked 7 times but he still managed 352 yards passing and three TD passes. And we only had two penalties for 13 yards in the game. 

I think Pittsburgh has a dominant dl.  I was alluding to the preseason game 

Just now, NewEra said:

I think Pittsburgh has a dominant dl.  I was alluding to the preseason game 

I think the Steelers have a dominant D line as well, but I don’t put any stock in preseason games except to see if guys are winning their one on one battles and yeah, our guys got abused up front. But there was no game planning, which is critical when it comes to blocking schemes vs. various teams and personnel. 

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think the Steelers have a dominant D line as well, but I don’t put any stock in preseason games except to see if guys are winning their one on one battles and yeah, our guys got abused up front. But there was no game planning, which is critical when it comes to blocking schemes vs. various teams and personnel. 

I put some stock into preseason performances.  It’s all we can go on at this point.   We can’t go on last year….Saffold and Bates won’t be out there.  It’s a different OL. 

36 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Pete Prisco week one pick.

Buffalo Bills (-2.5) at New York Jets

Monday, 8:15 p.m. ET (ESPN, fubo)

The Bills are still the team to beat in the AFC East, even if the Jets have received most of the preseason hype. Yes, Aaron Rodgers got them that, and he will play well, starting here. But the Jets have to learn how to win. Buffalo has won big games and playoff games. That matters. Josh Allen -- remember him? -- gets the best of Rodgers and the Jets. 

Pick: Bills 24, Jets 19 

Well said by Pete

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Y'know, in the time it took ya both to whinge about this, ya coulda gone to Twitter (I mean X) and found some content to share.... I miss Yolo too, but I'm trying to be part of a solution, not part of a precipitate. JS'n

Sounds reasonable....until you consider I'm a geezer who's never been on the Twitter.  But this is looking very YOLO-esque.  Thank you.  Now....if we can just get somebody to pin it.

My take is the NY Jests signed Dalvin Cook for what he did last year to Buffalo with that 62-yard TD run. They gotta be planning to run the ball a whole lot to keep the heat off of Rodgers.

How good is that Buffalo run defense with their new LBer who is more of a coverage LBer? If he has to face pulling guards...

OTOH, I can only hope Buffalo has been working on quick-strike packages to keep the heat off of Allen. Didn't Williams have like 11 sacks in preseason? 

Perhaps Buffalo needs to get their Cook working in the ground game. Either way, I want the Bills to end this NY Jets playoff talk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

All i can see is Dawkins getting ragdolled like he was against the Bengals. He's a softer player since he was annointed a good left tackle a few years ago.

Jets 33 Bills 13

I think that Q Williams will be eager to test rookie OG Torrence ability's early and often. I like Torrence a lot, hopefully he's up for the challenge

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Jets 31 Bills 17.

I am starting to feel like this will be close to the final score, but I don't know which team will be the winner. I think it will a close slog for 2.5 quarters and then one team will start to pull ahead and ultimately win by 2 scores. If it's the Jets it will be because our defense wears down over time and our offense never pulls it together. It it's us it will be because Allen puts the team on his back and wills us to tough TD drives late in the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I am starting to feel like this will be close to the final score, but I don't know which team will be the winner. I think it will a close slog for 2.5 quarters and then one team will start to pull ahead and ultimately win by 2 scores. If it's the Jets it will be because our defense wears down over time and our offense never pulls it together. It it's us it will be because Allen puts the team on his back and wills us to tough TD drives late in the game.

Will probably come down to 2-3 key plays - a turnover here, sack there, punt return, unchallengeable questionable call… etc.  Game really could go either way and I don’t know how anyone can predict it esp Week 1.

28 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Getting some bad vibes… McDs odd answering to a question about Hackett/Rodgers and just don’t sense any sort of increased urgency facing a team that’s talked a lot of ***** and has accomplished nothing….maybe that’ll change as they get closer to game day….also the Jets have better starters mostly everywhere on defense and I suspect their defensive line gets the better of our offensive line as opposed to vice versa.

I definitely don't have a great feeling about it. Going off what you said about the urgency, one thing that irks me about this regime is it seems like every offseason we have a competition for at least one full time starting position that lingers into the season. It's been an issue on the OL in particular for years now, halfway through every season they're still tinkering with it. I feel like I don't see other contenders going through that sort of thing year after year.

This year RG was unsettled until last month, although that is at least understandable given they had to implement a rookie into the position so I give them a pass on that. But CB2 was also unsettled until very recently. And of course the disaster at MLB where our starter is a 2nd year player who looked awful last year, played ZERO snaps in preseason, and was losing the job until his competition blew his opportunity. Last year we brought in washed up WRs onto the PS, this year we did that with Kirksey. I don't claim to pay attention to every little detail throughout the league but do other contenders really go through this crap?

All of this means we're heading into the season with 2-3 full time starters that have very little time on task, and all of them are young players that really needed that time. None of those players are locked into their jobs either, so once again it kind of feels like their audition is going to linger into the season.

One thing that gives me confidence against the Jets in particular though is that they're facing the same sort of problems. Their OL is still getting sorted out at almost every position. Rodgers may eventually be the answer for them, but I think we can all agree that the very best case scenario is that he ends up being their version of Bucs/Brady and Rams/Stafford, and those QBs struggled early on in their new tenures. So in my opinion we are getting the Jets in their stadium at the best possible time.

Despite some clear advantages that their defense has over our offense, I'd like to think that a little Josh Allen magic is enough to make up the gap and then some. And our defense hopefully can take advantage of the relative inexperience of a new group of players on the Jets offense, enough to slow them down at least while our offense gets their feet under them.

Edited by HappyDays

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

So basically like every year since Josh?…. We need him to be amazing and carry the team again so he can hide deficiencies  due to poor personnel signings/draft picks/decisions made in the offseason?…. Sounds about right. 

No. We just need him to throw the ball to Dalton Kincaid.  Let Dalton be amazing and carry the team.  Then they’ll stop bracketing Diggs and it’ll his time to shine.

This is the way

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’d rather comment on this post and read other content on the board as opposed to scrolling on Twitter. I’ve probably opened the app and scrolled on it 200 times in my lifetime.  

edit: but thanks for doing it for me 😉 

I Get It.  Just sayin' I don't mind sharing some tweets, but we can't replace what Yolo did with one ordinary human's contributions.  Need 3 or 4.

Not wanting to carry a bone, but just for anyone who's interested you can see tweets (or X's or whatever they are ) through a web browser, no app necessary (but it is requiring you to log in now a days - can use a google account, not necessarily your primary lol)

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No. We just need him to throw the ball to Dalton Kincaid.  Let Dalton be amazing and carry the team.  Then they’ll stop bracketing Diggs and it’ll his time to shine.

This is the way

Dalton Kincaid.  James Cook.  Deonte Harty.  Dawson Knox.  Trent Sherfield.  Latavius Murray.  maybe even Davis, if he's open short and quick?

Any of these guys.  Just don't alternate between targeting Diggs, and throwing long, low % throws, to Davis.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This is the way

Agree.

To me, trying to compare our offense vs Jets defense (from LY games) is just as bad, as comparing our defense vs a Jets offense without Rodgers.

Much more talent in our middle field/slot options and what should be a better oline/ground attack.  We shouldn't have to rely on Josh being a magician, he has more talent to count on.  He also made some bad decisions in both Jets games LY, he'd likely be first to admit that.

Bills 33 Jets 23

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I Get It.  Just sayin' I don't mind sharing some tweets, but we can't replace what Yolo did with one ordinary human's contributions.  Need 3 or 4.

Not wanting to carry a bone, but just for anyone who's interested you can see tweets (or X's or whatever they are ) through a web browser, no app necessary (but it is requiring you to log in now a days - can use a google account, not necessarily your primary lol)

Dalton Kincaid.  James Cook.  Deonte Harty.  Dawson Knox.  Trent Sherfield.  Latavius Murray.  maybe even Davis, if he's open short and quick?

Any of these guys.  Just don't alternate between targeting Diggs, and throwing long, low % throws, to Davis.

Yeah I know, I’m just having fun showering my boy with 💕 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I definitely don't have a great feeling about it. Going off what you said about the urgency, one thing that irks me about this regime is it seems like every offseason we have a competition for at least one full time starting position that lingers into the season. It's been an issue on the OL in particular for years now, halfway through every season they're still tinkering with it. I feel like I don't see other contenders going through that sort of thing year after year.

Depends upon the contender but at times you are definitely mistaken

In any case, we aren't having a competition on OL.  It's Dawkins-McGovern-Morse-O'Torrence-Brown

If that isn't getting it done, then we'll see change - same as other contenders do, especially if they have injuries to contend with

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This will go over well.

Personally, I don't even care about all the controversy earlier this year.  I never liked Budweiser and don't care for any light beers, even Labatt Blue Light. (Regular Blue is great, though).  Although, light beer does remind me of a great Monty Python joke...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8aPABF7nW4

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/5/2023 at 12:38 PM, eball said:

For every NFL matchup you can sit down and come up with a half dozen reasons why one or the other team will win, but it typically comes down to who is more talented and who makes fewer mistakes.

When I look at this matchup it comes down to the following:  whose OL will do a better job?  Both teams have excellent defenses with strong fronts and secondaries.  Which OL will give their QB the chance to make plays?

On paper the Bills' OL is much better than the Jests' OL.  I think that will be the difference maker...Allen will get enough time to make plays, while Rodgers will be constantly harrassed.

The Bills now have the players to run legitimate 12 personnel sets.  They haven't had that before, and it puts pressure on the Jests' D.

I don't think this will be a one-score game.  Bills by 10.

This is a good point. Teams at the beginning of the season are just learning themselves and the type of team they want to be. The Jets offense is a completely new unit. I believe that they will have some growing pains.

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Fair.  I missed the memo, but that's not a surprise.   Is Hackett thought to have had any input into the design of the offense, or was that thought to be all LaFleur?

Y'know, in the time it took ya both to whinge about this, ya coulda gone to Twitter (I mean X) and found some content to share.... I miss Yolo too, but I'm trying to be part of a solution, not part of a precipitate. JS'n

I don't have X.  So I look forward and enjoying seeing the clips here. 

Thank you for helping out!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Good God....we are truly alone. 

LOL Kyle Brandt playing both sides, pretending to be a Bills fan while sucking up Aaron Rodgers.

Kyle, man, he's won league MVP 2 out of the last 3 seasons, that's hardly an edgy or ground-breaking prediction.  The Jets even signed 2 of his receivers.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Hate to say it, but I just have a bad feeling about this one…Plus, Allen plays terrible against the Jets…

The Bills overall record against the Jets since Allen was drafted is 7-3, but Allen didn't play 1 of the losses and 1 of the wins

It's probably more reasonable to ask how Allen has played since Saleh took over as Jets HC

Game 1 Bills 45 Jets 17.  Allen 21 of 28 (75%) for 366 yds 2 TD 1 INT rushing 2 for 3 yd, 0 TD  Sacked 0 times.

Game 2 Bills 27 Jets 10.  Allen 25 of 46 (54%) for 254 yds 2 TD 0 INT rushing 5 for 63 including 32 yd long run  Sacked 0 times.

Game 1 Bills 17 Jets 20.  Allen 18 of 34 (53%) for 204 yds 0 TD 2 INT rusning 9 for 86 yd, 2 TD.  This was the game Allen was sacked 5 times and injured UCL

Game 2 Bills 20 Jets 12  Allen 16 of 27 (59%) for 147 yds 1 TD 0 INT  rushing 10 for 47 yd, 1 TD  3 sacks.

Looks to me like he had 1 poor game out of 4 in the last 2 years.  Also looked to me like if the OL keeps him clean, we're good.

Perhaps you might want to explain what you mean by "plays terrible"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.