Bills-Jets week 1

Pete

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think the Jets have the best or one of the best secondaries in the NFL. 

Their defense, top to bottom, will be one of the best in the NFL. And that secondary allows them to bring an aggressive pass rush. Allen will have happy feet by the second drive, but hopefully he can muster a few big plays to keep it close.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Their defense, top to bottom, will be one of the best in the NFL. And that secondary allows them to bring an aggressive pass rush. Allen will have happy feet by the second drive, but hopefully he can muster a few big plays to keep it close.

Lots of new offensive pieces added by the Bills. Might take some time to gel and get into sync. 

The hostile 911 crowd isn't a great place to get the kinks out. 

Allen is going to have to be at his best. Scrambling and creating big plays. 

48 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Lots of new offensive pieces added by the Bills. Might take some time to gel and get into sync. 

Allen is going to have to be at his best. Scrambling and creating big plays

If we have to rely on those in this game, then we wouldn't be in a good situation. With their DL, there will be moments when he has to do that but it shouldn't be early and often. I would want him to dink and dunk, OL to chip the DEs and to tire out their D . Big plays can come after that 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree. I'm interested to see if the Jets try to bully the softer Bills in the trenches. Smash mouth football sort of speak. 

Additionally, that Jet secondary might be one of the best in the league. Diggs might be taken out of the game and what WR for Buffalo is reliable? 

It will be the emergence of our X factor…Kincaid baby!!!

On 9/5/2023 at 8:09 AM, newcam2012 said:

I think the Jets D will give the Bills O problems. If the game is won in the trenches then the Jets have the advantage. 

The Bills will win if Allen wears his cape. 

idk. They have a terrible ol, we should have at least an average ol, hopefully above average.  Both got very good dls. Should be a dog fight but we should have the advantage

I think ARod will look similar to last year and he was bad. Many games barely over 200 total yards. Their only WR or TE that's scary is Wilson. Tre and some S help can handle him though. 

Our run D looked great in pre season minus that big run and I expect McD to send pressure all night. I liked the DB blitzes i saw in pre season.  First real game Hyde Po and Tre will play together since Thanksgiving of 21 which I'm excited to see 

This'll be the biggest gm majority of that roster played. Our group been in a bunch

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Allen is going to have to be at his best. Scrambling and creating big plays. 

Same with the Jets O. New OC and everything.  Plus a really bad ol that hasn't played together all pre season.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Airseven said:

World beaters these Jets

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Rockinon said:

I think the TEs are going to go off in this game.  12 personnel is going to be a problem for the Jets. Quick hitting timing routes and not knowing who stays in to block and who runs a route. Is it going to be Knox or Kincaid? There may be some screens to TEs or RBs. There may be a couple of dump offs to the slot. Then watch that safety start creeping closer and closer. That's when one of the outside WRs will run a go route deep and the TEs will stay in to block.  The Jets may have a fine defense, but there are just too many weapons to cover.

I think Josh finally learns to take what the defense gives him and works his pieces into the game with short passes and timing. The Jets will be stunned by this, make adjustments to the defense then the deep ball will open up. You don't try to beat the Jets in a trench war. Use your speed, use your head.  The beauty of giving the TEs a bigger workload, is that they can also dish out some punishment by simply being bigger than the secondary players that have to tackle them.

I'm looking forward to the game. Maybe I'm way off base, but I  don't think the 5000 pass yard per year Josh Allen is going to stand for another depressing stat line against this team.

I was thinking same thing watching hard knocks last night.  The best way to beat this "historical" defense out of the gate is execution on quick hitting plays.  Don't need chunk plays - be patient and move the chains.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Predictions:

Brown and Torrence create some space for Cook, but Cook dances and mostly gets tackled for little or no gain. 

Brown whiffs spectacularly at least twice and is generally leaky.

Kincaid has 5 catches for 85 yards.

Allen gets sacked five times, Rogers twice.

Breece Hall gains 130 yards. 

Bills fan howl at Sauce Gardner mugging Diggs and Davis time after time without flags.

Bills win because Allen shows he's the best player in any position the league has ever seen. He carries the team all by himself. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This Bills team is the worst 13-3 team in the history of the NFL, maybe even the CFL too idk but I can't imagine any team having a worse roster/ GM/ coach, 4th string joke safety. 2nd round draft failures, Wyatt Teller, worst OL in the league, Kiiar Elam, and why do we keep rostering a FB? 3-14 team if I ever saw one

fire everyone trade josh allen fold it up

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

TF did I just hear?

https://youtu.be/A6uLBUOjkXQ?si=HeUFoIIjZR1SMt-2

6:13 in, in case that doesn't work.  Coach McDermott just said that there isn't a lot of film on Hackett and Aaron Rodgers together; said that they've been around each other, but not in the roles they're in as OC and QB.

But, Hackett was in GB for 3 years as titular OC!!!! 2019 - 2021

During those 3 years, GB was 13-3, 13-3, and 13-4 and Rodgers went to 3 probowls and was 1st team all-pro 2x and league MVP 2x.

What TF is McDermott talking about?  Is he implying actually, Matt LaFleur was the OC and Hackett was OC "in name only"?  I hadn't heard about LaFleur calling the plays etc., but did he?  Is that why people felt Hackett was so unqualified to be Denver's HC?

Or is McDermott confused, which would not be a good sign (and seems unlikely)?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

TF did I just hear?

6:13 in, in case that doesn't work.  Coach McDermott just said that there isn't a lot of film on Hackett and Aaron Rodgers together; said that they've been around each other, but not in the roles they're in as OC and QB.

During those 3 years, GB was 13-3, 13-3, and 13-4 and Rodgers went to 3 probowls and was 1st team all-pro 2x and league MVP 2x.

What TF is McDermott talking about?  Is he implying actually, Matt LaFleur was the OC and Hackett was OC "in name only"?  I hadn't heard about LaFleur calling the plays etc., but did he?  Is that why people felt Hackett was so unqualified to be Denver's HC?

I honestly have no idea what he's talking about

and not for nothing but he also said Hyde wasn't practicing and he actually was out there

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I honestly have no idea what he's talking about

and not for nothing but he also said Hyde wasn't practicing and he actually was out there

That last kind of thing (McDermott says a player won't practice, but he's out there) has happened before.  

I think there are two reasons for this:

1) the player is out there for warm-ups and position drills/1:1s, which is all the media is allowed to watch - but does not participate in the team part of practice

2) the trainers communicated to McDermott that a player was injured and needed to be held out, but then after treatment and warm-ups the injury improved to where they said "OK, let's give it a try and see where you are"

Pretty sure today is likely to be a walk-through in shells for the team portion, so it's a practice an injured player could handle in theory.  We don't owe the NFL an injury report until tomorrow, so we won't get any more info.

On 9/5/2023 at 8:14 AM, 78thealltimegreat said:

I really like the Bills in this one but…
One factor that really has me watching this is the officials. Based on all the X Factors Sept 11, Primetime, Aaron Rogers first game with the New York media pumping up the jets tires like the second coming….have to watch for the inevitable Refs wearing green jerseys deal…heck we saw it in a meaningless preseason game in Pittsburgh where the Bills in the first half breathed in the wrong direction and it was a penalty. 

This is what concerns me the most. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Terrell Bernard named starting MLB.

Not shooting the messenger here, my response is to the content only. Didn’t Bernard play a scant amount at best in preseason? So much for the “competition “at MLB … Kirksey , how soon can you learn this defense ? 

46 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

TF did I just hear?

It's no secret that Hackett did NOT call plays in Green Bay.  La Fleur said after the 2020 season that he might decide to cede the play calling to Hackett....but he did not.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, K-9 said:

The more I watch replays from last year’s meetings with the Jets, the more I’m convinced it’s OK for Josh to use his legs as much as he sees fit. 

He may not have a choice. This might be the best DL the Bills face all year. 

3 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

Do you remember when these "week #" threads would get pinned and there would be a bunch of info like tweets from reporters who were at practice?  What happened.  I know, I know....no YOLO.

I was just thinking how strange it was that the weekly game thread was only 6 pages on Wednesday and knew the reason  why instantly.  

36 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

It's no secret that Hackett did NOT call plays in Green Bay.  La Fleur said after the 2020 season that he might decide to cede the play calling to Hackett....but he did not.

Fair.  I missed the memo, but that's not a surprise.   Is Hackett thought to have had any input into the design of the offense, or was that thought to be all LaFleur?

3 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

Do you remember when these "week #" threads would get pinned and there would be a bunch of info like tweets from reporters who were at practice?  What happened.  I know, I know....no YOLO.

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I was just thinking how strange it was that the weekly game thread was only 6 pages on Wednesday and knew the reason  why instantly. 

Y'know, in the time it took ya both to whinge about this, ya coulda gone to Twitter (I mean X) and found some content to share.... I miss Yolo too, but I'm trying to be part of a solution, not part of a precipitate. JS'n

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Fair.  I missed the memo, but that's not a surprise.   Is Hackett thought to have had any input into the design of the offense, or was that thought to be all LaFleur?

Y'know, in the time it took ya both to whinge about this, ya coulda gone to Twitter (I mean X) and found some content to share.... I miss Yolo too, but I'm trying to be part of a solution, not part of a precipitate. JS'n

I’d rather comment on this post and read other content on the board as opposed to scrolling on Twitter. I’ve probably opened the app and scrolled on it 200 times in my lifetime.  

edit: but thanks for doing it for me 😉 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Gregg said:

He may not have a choice. This might be the best DL the Bills face all year. 

Certainly won’t see one any better, that’s for sure. But our O is used to playing dominant front fours. The Oline won’t win every down, but they need to win most of them, especially Dawkins and Brown, who are critical to being able to double QW inside. A tall order to be sure, but a good scheme by Dorsey can mitigate a lot and I have confidence that Allen will continue to do what he always does when things break down. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That was a lot of the debate last year in Denver: how much of Hackett's success as OC was installing LeFleur's system for Aaron Rodgers in his prime?

Because other than that, he had one year with an above average offense (2017, with the strong rookie outing of Leonard Fournette) and three below average years with the Bills and Jags. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.