Gabe Davis is a 2023 Captain...let the board erupt!

eball

2 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Ok cool, so Josh made the team. I hadn't read anything about it. 

I think they just decided to go in alphabetical order so Josh gets first crack at keeping the starter job but they are close  with j  and k being so close in pecking order.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

LOL.  Yes, I've heard Milano speak.  

Before one of the Ravens playoff games, he caused a bit of a kerfluffle by saying "We're pretty confident in being able to contain him."about Lamar Jackson.  After the win, he posted this:

Another classic Milano-ism was when he said in an interview that he was trying to become more vocal on the field.  One of the reporters asked "how do you become more vocal?" to which Milano replied, deadpan, "You talk more"

Micah Hyde says that Milano is one of the biggest internal trash-talkers on the team.  That must require talking.

Matt Milano should only be referred to by his nickname of the guido torpedo

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

They should really limit the number of captains you’re allowed to name. 8 out of 53 players? 

Thats 15% if of your team. It should be 2-4 max. 

Yep. Do it like the NHL. One captain and two asst captains. 

13 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

I have no problems if he does.  And don't think the Bills worry either.  Plenty of talented wrs will wanna have Josh as their QB.  

Yeah, they were all banging on the door willing to sign for the minimum 

13 hours ago, MPL said:

Diggs is more than a C in my book. He's an A+

Has anyone actually ever heard Milano speak? Like, does he speak? I'm not saying one has to speak to be a captain, but speaking kind of seems like a part of the job. 

Milano is Italian for Mongo

image.thumb.jpeg.c261bd3bce8ab324fc421eaed4420166.jpeg

Edited by freddyjj
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

They should really limit the number of captains you’re allowed to name. 8 out of 53 players? 

Thats 15% if of your team. It should be 2-4 max. 

That gave me a flashback to an episode of MASH where Pierce starts an exchange where they all nod and say “Captain!” Captain!”

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HiMark said:

Wow, no Shnomwan?

I think he hasn't been a captain since 2020, maybe I'm off a year.

Difficult to argue with the list, and think it's strictly player-voted.

But yeah to your point, Dion is definitely a team leader/great teammate from various reports.  Nice to have a group of young/vet leaders, pretty good balance on both sides of the ball.  Another reason I like the Kirksey signing too, he's another leader-type that should help.

17 hours ago, Virgil said:

This is going to sound terrible, but I'm so afraid of him going off this year since he's due for a new contract.  

The guys who find a way to finally put it all together in the last year drives me nuts

True. But on the flip side, many of those guys regress back to their average once they get paid. Getting a monster year of production, then a 3rd round comp pick, can wind up easing the pain a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Virgil said:

This is going to sound terrible, but I'm so afraid of him going off this year since he's due for a new contract.  

The guys who find a way to finally put it all together in the last year drives me nuts

It's not like he's been terrible, last year was his 1st season starting opposite Diggs and put up 48 REC, 836 Yards, 7 TD, 1 Fumble, 9 drops (for the record Diggs had 7 drops last season). Davis was 11th in the league in yards amongst WR 2, Tied for 5th in WR2 TD in the league. Add in those 9 drops and I bet he's well over 1K yards and a TD or 2 as well. I expect him to be a force this season.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

It's not like he's been terrible, last year was his 1st season starting opposite Diggs and put up 48 REC, 836 Yards, 7 TD, 1 Fumble, 9 drops (for the record Diggs had 7 drops last season). Davis was 11th in the league in yards amongst WR 2, Tied for 5th in WR2 TD in the league. Add in those 9 drops and I bet he's well over 1K yards and a TD or 2 as well. I expect him to be a force this season.

He was also a top 10 overall wr in catch % for first downs, catching 73% of his targets that would move the stick.

He also averaged over 9 yards per target. 

Yes he has to clean up some of his drops, but I'm not sure if those 7 drops had nearly as significant a negative impact as his 35 receptions for first downs. 

I'd be perfectly happy if some combination of Davis, Knox, Cook and Kincaid amount to 3 or 4 #3 type targets around 65-75 each. 

But if Gabe improves 3-4% from his first two seasons in catch percentage, I won't fault the Bills for giving the clear #2 number targets, around 100... 

I'm happy with 58 reactions on 100 targets, over 850 yards, over 30 1st downs, over 7 TD's and less than 7 drops.

22 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I don't disagree.  But if he breaks 1k yards this year, his contract will be a ton different than if he were to get one now

17 hours ago, Beck Water said:

LOL.  Yes, I've heard Milano speak.  

Before one of the Ravens playoff games, he caused a bit of a kerfluffle by saying "We're pretty confident in being able to contain him."about Lamar Jackson.  After the win, he posted this:

Another classic Milano-ism was when he said in an interview that he was trying to become more vocal on the field.  One of the reporters asked "how do you become more vocal?" to which Milano replied, deadpan, "You talk more"

Micah Hyde says that Milano is one of the biggest internal trash-talkers on the team.  That must require talking.

Internal trash talker makes me think he doesn't trash talk someone but you can just see in his eyes that he's just thinking the most terrible things about you.

45 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don't disagree.  But if he breaks 1k yards this year, his contract will be a ton different than if he were to get one now

True. But a few comments that he's recently made - like listening to his mother tell him, "You're living the dream. Don't get caught up in the money" - suggest that he might be amenable to a team-friendly contract. Remember a few years ago when we had three key players whose contracts were up and most of us (myself included) thought Beane would only re-sign one. Well, all three signed. This year, many of us thought Poyer was Miami-bound, but he's back.

Gabe seems happy, the team is a contender, and he may realize that he's not a #1 but a solid #2 opposite Diggs. Let's hope his mom keeps him humble.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 2

He's a hard working overachiever and a good guy...........I don't see any problem with it.

Has nothing to do with the fact that he lacks the talent to get open on most routes and has bad hands.

He doesn't insist they throw the ball to him.........it's on the organization to find ways to put him in better position to succeed..........which is as the clear WR3 or WR4 option.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.