Gabe Davis is a 2023 Captain...let the board erupt!

eball

20 hours ago, Success said:

Gabe is going to quite a few critics this season, imo.  

And then a lot of people are going to be saying we should have extended him while he was less expensive.  

I don't see how he'll stay on the team if he has the big season that we're expecting.  

All these captains are talented, dedicated, hard-working, elite or near-elite.  The Bills are trying to promote a core group of leaders to solidify the roster's will to fight.  I think this goes back to the playoff loss to the Bengals, where for whatever reason the team came out flat and never recovered.  The brass is trying various things to keep the team motivated through the postseason.

The risk is that factions will coalesce around various players, and instead of unifying the team, there could be pockets of guys talking only to each other. 

I hope this works out and the team stays completely unified, while each captain seeks out and destroys slackerhood and defeatism.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Yeah, they were all banging on the door willing to sign for the minimum 

They didn't this fa period but there are alot of young talented qbs in the league now that are intriguing  to talented  wrs.  As Josh does pull away from the pack to cement his skills as superior (I believe he will prove he's the best) more and more of the top guys looking to have a chance at a ring will be giving the Bills a lot of consideration.  Not every top wr will be open to taking a lower paying contract but there will be those that will trade  salary for opportunity for Lombardi.  Then you got some players that only want to play for their favorite teams they grew up cheering for.  I expect we will see more vet signings with Bills because they are a top contender.  I prefer some vets that want the ring but firmly believe they are a missing piece to a talented contender rather than the vet who wants a ring and doesn't need to feel he contributed in any big way.  Like shady McCoy ended up with 2 Rings but in either case do any of us feel he earned them by his stellar playing during those winning teams sb seasons?  I certainly don't think he was a f a coordinator in either of his sb winning seasons, other than being on those teams rosters.

The best time of year right now, extension season. Between the end of preseason and the start of regular.

You gotta thing beane and his agent have been talking for sure.

If it doesn't happen now I don't think it's going to and he's gone.

Edited by The Wiz

10 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

I think he hasn't been a captain since 2020, maybe I'm off a year.

Difficult to argue with the list, and think it's strictly player-voted.

But yeah to your point, Dion is definitely a team leader/great teammate from various reports.  Nice to have a group of young/vet leaders, pretty good balance on both sides of the ball.  Another reason I like the Kirksey signing too, he's another leader-type that should help.

Maybe they’re letting Dion know.  Holding him accountable.  Lose some weight fatty.  Get in better shape.  Work harder.  Like Gabe.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

why does the board need to erupt over this?

Because @eball has a terrible track record of brutally bad takes stretching from the drought to today............so in an attempt to offset that he creates totally false narratives so that he can shout them down and look like a voice of reason.     That's @eball as a straw man.

It's just another version of a bad take by him but it fools those who think that someone has actually been banging the drum against the idea that Gabe Davis liked by his teammates.

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t think so. Saw the same guy vs Chicago in preseason. He’s not very good overall. He’ll get numbers because he plays with Josh Allen in a heavy passing offense.

In fairness....... @Success said "quite"(quiet I believe he meant) "a few" of his critics.   

Gabe could rise to 150th in catch % and still have a passer rating that's way below Josh Allen's average(like a 90) with only 8% drops and still be largely the same player.........but those would all be improvements.........so that might quiet "a few" critics even if he just keeps looking like he has pretty much since his rookie season and doesn't have that break-out season.

Success would have to be more specific about what he expects..........he's left it exceptionally vague intentionally, I believe.

• Like (+1) 1

A couple of points about Gabe's catch percentage.

Its not like Gabe plays in a short precision, timing passing WC offense like Reid and Mahomes with tons of YAC.

Gabe plays in a different deep ball EP system where routes are typically 40-45 yard deep outs to him.  He's playing the Z position where Diggs is playing the X position.

On top of that, as it gets colder its much tougher to catch longer passes in 8 degree buffalo weather, frozen field where the ball is hard as a rock.

Would Gabe flourish in miami or san fran for example that has the WC system in warm weather on natural grass ?  Tough to say.

My point is catch percentage in our system/weather is not an apples to apples comparison to a warm weather WC system.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/30/2023 at 4:41 PM, Virgil said:

This is going to sound terrible, but I'm so afraid of him going off this year since he's due for a new contract.  

The guys who find a way to finally put it all together in the last year drives me nuts

I'm more worried about him being extended, mid-season, before he proves himself worthy of such.  

3 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

A couple of points about Gabe's catch percentage.

Its not like Gabe plays in a short precision, timing passing WC offense like Reid and Mahomes with tons of YAC.

Gabe plays in a different deep ball EP system where routes are typically 40-45 yard deep outs to him.  He's playing the Z position where Diggs is playing the X position.

On top of that, as it gets colder its much tougher to catch longer passes in 8 degree buffalo weather, frozen field where the ball is hard as a rock.

Would Gabe flourish in miami or san fran for example that has the WC system in warm weather on natural grass ?  Tough to say.

My point is catch percentage in our system/weather is not an apples to apples comparison to a warm weather WC system.

It's 2023... There is a huge difference between verbiage systems and schemes now

For all intensive purposes, since you compared the EP and WC...  Today they are verbiage systems ... Aka how you get the play in ... Not necessarily the type of play 

"South Right Clamp Fake 67 Slant Naked Right Zebra Slide Can 67 Slant"

That could be a call in the West Coast... Very wordsy 

The same call in EP offense could be ...

F Right 72 Ghost/Tosser... Simpler and easier to get out 

Every single play has been run.. it's 2023 football is well over 100 years old

You can run a west coast zone run scheme  with an EP system ... 

Sure there is a west coast scheme but when you compare it to EP, you are comparing verbiage systems , only 

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I dunno, looks more like mcgregor to me.  Either way, it's a good one.

conor-mcgregor-walk.gif

Definitely the Vince strut 

He's been doing it since Connor was in diapers

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Its not like Gabe plays in a short precision, timing passing WC offense

Well he would be terrible in that kind of offense. We have seen that when he is targeted on slants, curls, and digs - the sorts of plays you're talking about - he is below average as a separator.

He also struggles to catch the ball in those situations where there's any kind of traffic around him.

His usage isn't a function of the offense, it's a function of the player.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Well he would be terrible in that kind of offense. We have seen that when he is targeted on slants, curls, and digs - the sorts of plays you're talking about - he is below average as a separator.

He also struggles to catch the ball in those situations where there's any kind of traffic around him.

His usage isn't a function of the offense, it's a function of the player.

Yeah @JakeFrommStateFarm.............c'mon dude...........you are here all the time you haven't seen all of these graphics about Davis' extreme variance between his strengths and weaknesses?

The Bills had an excellent short passing game in 2020 when Cole Beasley was the clear cut WR2 and an All Pro as a slot receiver........and they had a good short game in 2021 despite Beasley's drop-off.

And even then Davis was just a 56% catch guy over those two seasons.

His efficiency dropped more in 2022 because he moved up the pecking order and it's hard to find 6 good targets per game for him with his limitations.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

I don't see anything wrong with this. Just hope Terry Pegula shuts down any idea of prematurely extending Davis and let things play out this year with him because still not sure what he really is and he's another player on a long list in which injuries are an annual issue.

Well now we know @FilthyBeast wants to sign him to the Chiefs once the season is over.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Career year upcoming.

Kincaid will free up Davis downfield.

Even the most skeptical of Davis' critics would have to agree that he should have a career year regardless of whether Kincaid breaks out like we hope or not.

Because Gabe only just became a starter for the first time last season.........and I'm not sure he can do worse than 10% drops and only 50% catches.   

On 8/31/2023 at 4:46 PM, Thrivefourfive said:

Hate it. Manufactured and looks desperate. 

when was the last time we had a non-QB rookie be named / voted a Captain?

because that's when you know Captain is an earned honor on that team.  And also that you have drafted quite well.  Your team is full of mature men who give credit where its due.

otherwise, if its just a popularity contest or coach-driven, or a gift to the media who have nothing else to cover for 2 weeks of dead time, then fans like us / me will wonder "what's really goin on?  and why should i care?"

12 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I'm more worried about him being extended, mid-season, before he proves himself worthy of such.  

if he is extended but hasnt proven much, I'd suspect he gambled on himself preseason, saw he was losing that bet, and approached the team to see what he could get.

so, since we do (apparently, according to well reasoned opinions about him in our system) have use for him, i'd be happy.  because it would mean it was not a top-dollar deal, for somebody we were gonna keep in 2024 almost no matter what.

17 hours ago, Virgil said:

If they can extend him now for less than 15 mil, I think I’m all for it 

I was going to complain about the number, but looked up receiver contracts. 

Kind of wild, you only have to be serviceable to earn 8 figures at the position.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.