General feeling of fanbase, more likely... winning AFC Championship? or missing playoffs altogether?

zow2

There are some National talking heads that have the Bills on the decline...mainly due to other teams rising up in the AFC and Buffalo's tough schedule.  For whatever reason, while still respected, the Bills are not a sexy pick this season to do much of anything.

Does the fanbase feel they have a better chance at playing in the Super Bowl?  or not making the playoffs?   

I know most of us here are homers... and personally I'd be more surprised if they miss the playoffs.  The O looks to be really solid, the D is a question for me and how effectively McDermott tweaks it.

I think they will make the playoffs and probably win the division. The schedule is tough for everybody in the AFCE. I will say 10-12 wins is the floor/ceiling. Will they make or win the Super Bowl. Who knows as anything can happen in the playoffs. It will be a challenge to get by KC/CIN. Hopefully they don't get hit to hard with the injury bug this year. As everyone knows injuries can ruin the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I’ve read that the Bills are favored to win the AFCE, and frankly until they are unseated as the division champs, everyone one else is looking up at Buffalo, ya gotta beat the man to be the man, as the saying goes, as said above the odds for any team to win it all are poor. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Look the Bills mirror the Washington Capitals…for years under Ovi they were a favorite if not the favorite in the Eastern Conference and would always get tripped up at some level in the playoffs. 

The year they were kinda an afterthought they won the Stanley Cup. 
It is the Bills time now to do so. 

They have more talent top to bottom than just about any team they face. The only thing that can stop the Bills is themselves. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I admit that I am a homer & I expect that the Bills will make the playoff this year. However - for any NFL team it is way more likely to miss the playoffs entirely than winning a conference championship or a Super Bowl. A key injury or two can take down any franchise's season. Winning a Conference title or a Super Bowl requires a lot of things to go just right for a team. After about fifty years of being a Bills fans I am hoping that this is finally the year that Jupiter aligns with Mars for the team & the team goes all the way. A guy has to dream a little...   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think statistically speaking it's more likely for the Bills to miss the playoffs than make the Super Bowl. As stated before (and as we saw last year) one or two key injuries can prematurely end a season. Add in other off field factors and issues...it's a long road to make it and only 1 of 16 in the AFC will. 

However, I believe the Bills make the playoffs. Be it division winners or even a wild card and if healthy and playing sound football they can win anywhere against any team and ride to the Super Bowl.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 1

i think the bills are at a point where they'll be a very good regular season team for years to come.  that doesn't mean they'll necessarily win the east, but i'd be shocked if they missed the playoffs.  the only way that happens is if josh gets hurt.

the playoffs on the other hand...they need to prove to the fan base that this malaise once the post season starts isn't a habit.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To answer the question, the Bills are more likely missing the playoffs all together than winning the AFC championship. Making the Super Bowl is always a long shot (except for the Chiefs). Better question would’ve been missing the playoffs or reaching the AFC championship.

I’d be surprised if the Bills finish outside of 9-11 wins. Call it 10-7 and that’s no guarantee to win the division nor make the playoffs. Dolphins and Jets should both be near that same win range (I think Dolphins take the division).

• Disagree 4
  • Agree 1

Injuries, as mentioned in this thread are a huge factor.  But let's face it, KC and Cincy have just as good a chance at having key injuries ruin their season as Buffalo.  It's not even a matter of "injuries" because every team will have multiple.  It's a matter of WHO gets hurt.  Every good team in the AFC has Top-50 players in the NFL, or top-100. Injuries to those specific players are devastating.  Especially QB, obviously.

The Bills are loaded.  Let the media fixate on the Bengals.  AFC East is more competitive for sure.  But it's on paper at the moment.  The AFC West was loaded last year and it was on paper too.  My gut tells me Josh and Co will be there when it matters.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Bills have a top 3 QB and multiple other good to great players. 

They could easily only win 10 or 11 games and still be an excellent team come playoff time. The AFC is loaded and it will be hard for any team to get to 13 wins. 

Anything less than a deep playoff run however will be a massive disappointment and another black mark on this coaching staff. 

We all know we are stuck with McDermott so all we can do is hope Allen wills this team to a SuperBowl just as Manning did with Dungy. 

• Agree 1

I really don't get the pessimism.  This was a 13-3 team last season while dealing with multiple injuries to very important players, crazy weather, a teammate dying on the field, a first year OC, and huge expectations.  Their 3 losses were by a total of 8 points, including the most insanely improbable loss I've ever seen against the Vikings and a game in Miami that was decided by the heat and lack of shade on the Bills sideline.  The only significant player loss is Edmunds, and most people don't feel that he was a difference maker.  They improved the O line, drafted one of the best receiving TE prospects in years, and one of the top guards.  They added solid depth players/possible starters such as Leonard Floyd, Poona Ford, Damien Harris, Trent Sherfield, and Latavius Murray.

I welcome the fact that the media is overlooking this team.  Most of them have realized that pissing off Bills fans equals clicks and attention and they are really just click whores anyway.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I'm going to be honest about how I am feeling, and it's just really negative at this moment. This doesn't mean I am right, and most likely probably not right in the slightest, but I just don't feel good about things. I don't even know where to begin. I wasn't happy with how last season ended, and it has carried through this whole off season. It wasn't even just the injuries piling up, I just felt like all the games in the latter half of the season felt like a huge struggle. We often came back and won those games, but I never felt good or comfortable with them. I never feel satisfied with our defense.

I wasn't crazy about the moves we made in the off season, or lack thereof. I am not thrilled with our WR room. I love Diggs, but am tired of having to rely on him to be our savior. I look at Miami's offense, and they are IMO crazy talented and explosive, and then I look at ours, and I don't feel good about it. I don't think Tua is half the QB Josh is, but he is good, and "good" with receivers like Waddle and Hill is scary. I guess we will see.

I kind of love the pairing of Josh with Hailee Steinfeld. I think they are adorable, and she seems like a better fit than Brittany, but I do worry about him focusing on the team and all that while being in a relatively new relationship, and how it affects things. It's new, and his time will be taken up once the season starts, and if it causes any rifts it could impact his play. I don't know, it's his relationship and his business, but I do lowkey wonder if he will be distracted. 

I felt more confident last season and the season prior, but I guess we will see.

I also wanted to add that I do think we improved in some areas for sure, but I feel like the teams in our division have as well, on top of them giving us a hard time last year(splitting games with The Dolphins and Jets, and winning close ones against them instead of blowing them out like we did in the past).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I really don't get the pessimism.  This was a 13-3 team last season while dealing with multiple injuries to very important players, crazy weather, a teammate dying on the field, a first year OC, and huge expectations.  Their 3 losses were by a total of 8 points, including the most insanely improbable loss I've ever seen against the Vikings and a game in Miami that was decided by the heat and lack of shade on the Bills sideline.  The only significant player loss is Edmunds, and most people don't feel that he was a difference maker.  They improved the O line, drafted one of the best receiving TE prospects in years, and one of the top guards.  They added solid depth players/possible starters such as Leonard Floyd, Poona Ford, Damien Harris, Trent Sherfield, and Latavius Murray.

I welcome the fact that the media is overlooking this team.  Most of them have realized that pissing off Bills fans equals clicks and attention and they are really just click whores anyway.

I don't think its pessimism as its more of the fact that AFC and AFCE are stronger which will make it harder for the Bills. I expect all the games between the Bills, Dolphins, Jets to be extremely physical, intense, close games.

1 hour ago, wjag said:

The Bills are loaded.  Let the media fixate on the Bengals.  AFC East is more competitive for sure.  But it's on paper at the moment.  The AFC West was loaded last year and it was on paper too.  My gut tells me Josh and Co will be there when it matters.

You know for a Jago..  you’re pretty smart.  I’m just kidding brother.  We are loaded and we are well managed and coached.  Now matter how many chicken littles get on this board or hot takes on espn.

Floyd was a nice addition.  I’m hopeful Harty and Sherfield are upgraded over Beasley and Mcakenzie.

I don’t expect DK2 to be Kelce, but he should have a pretty immediate impact.  Hey at least OBJ and D Hop went to teams with crappy QB’s.

13 is a tough number, but 12-5 is a pragmatic expectation of they stay healthy.

Gotta say, I’m a little disillusioned this year.

I hate this about how I feel but I can’t not feel it.

For me, a Lombardi is the only thing that makes this season a success. I am not super excited to wade through another regular season with another inexplicable playoff loss waiting at the end of it. BTSD….Bills traumatic stress Disorder 

The coaching staff is on my personal hot seat. Faith isn’t hope. Faith is something that’s been demonstrated recurring. What has been demonstrated in the playoffs is 💩 by this staff two years in a row.

If the team comes out of the gate and just starts crushing teams and looks balanced this might abate but I gotta say. I’m not expecting that and hope I am WRONG😕

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 2

As long as Josh is healthy and in his prime I feel fine that they will make the playoffs every year with a shot at the SB. Even last year when the Bills were the SB favs their odds were like 12% to go the distance. Brady & Rodgers both won SBs as a WC, Stafford and the Rams were the 4 seed in 2021-22 and went the distance. Take Brady out of the equation and you realize almost all the top QBs since the 90s who get a ring needed a little luck or right situation (or both) when their time comes. 

This years Bills roster is almost equal on paper minus Edmunds gone and the offense right now I feel better with then last year. Division is tougher as is the AFC, but playoffs still should be an absolute. After that its where fortune and Allen can take us.

These conversations are getting old.

The Bills will be a better team than they were last season. They will easily win the East. Their record may slide a game or 2, but they will be better overall.

In 2023 the Bills will have: a fully healthy Josh Allen, a fully healthy Tre White, and a fully healthy Hyde and Poyer. We'll get Von Miller back for the stretch run. Dorsey will no longer be a 1st year play caller, and McDermott is calling the D. 

This garbage has to stop. How did the Bills in any way, other that losing in the second round of the playoffs, display ANYTHING THAT RESEMBLES TAKING A STEP BACKWARDS last year? Let's get real. Haters gonna hate.

Hey, by the way, if we didn't have so many blowouts in the beginning of the season, and have the Hamlin game cancelled we would most likely have had the #1 offense in the NFL. How's that for the Dorsey nay sayers.

Yeah, the Bills are trending down :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 4

I have consistently said we are in for a regression year for many reasons, not the least of which is our main competitors have moved ahead of us and we were behind them to begin with.  I expect us to make the playoffs, but not make it to the AFC Championship game.  

Even if you look at the Patriots with BB and Brady in their PRIME...every year was not "the year" for them either.

There are going to be ups and downs along the road of Josh's career.

I see this as a moderately down year.

• Eyeroll 1

Has noone offered the football gods any atoning sacrifices to ensure Victory this season?

my snarky point being that the variables that go into winning in the NFL are many.  2 that come to mind are health of the roster and Officiating snafu- blunders that affect the final outcome in games.

there are zero gimme games in the NFL. The Bills roster is sacked and lets say I think we have an excellent Chance. with a bit of luck and a prayer to those danged football gods.

Edited by muppy

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

The odds of any team winning the SB are less than 20%.  On the other hand, one or two key injuries could make this a team around middle of the pack and in turn, easily miss the playoffs. 

In fairness, any team in the league is always 1 QB season ending injury away from having a terrible season.

But I know what you mean here.  I want to see what the Jets are all about.  We might have trouble winning the division this year.  Or we might not.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The only way this team misses the playoffs is if Kyle Allen starts 6 games or more 

Agreed. However, it may only take 4 or 5 to push the Bills out.

I also agree with the thought that Bills are their own worst enemy. Since Josh's arrival, The Bills screwed themselves in every playoff game, except perhaps the KC AFCCG where they were mostly outplayed. They also shot themselves in the foot in a couple of regular season games, aka Vikings. 

They may not win the division, but I fully expect they'll be in the playoffs. I'm just wondering what this year's playoff thing will be. And what will everyone label it. 

27 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Same. I have a strange optimism this season that I did not have last. 

Good, but it's not strange: Hyde is back; White should be fully healed (or as good as he's going to get); Miller will be playing most of the season; we have bruising running backs for short yardage; we have an improved O-line; we have a phenomenal short to intermediate threat in Kincaid; McD will call a more aggressive D; we have WR upgrades over McKenzie; Josh should be healed and should be playing smarter this year; we have a new 10-sack lineman in his prime.

There's lots to love about this year's team. I'm willing to make a bet with anyone who foolishly claims we won't win at least 11 games. I think 12 is far more likely and possibly 13.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm a little apprehensive.  I think this team is truly right there with the Chiefs, Eagles and Bengals if our older stars can stay relatively healthy this season.  But again, we are dependent on major production from a lot of players that are nearing 30 or are already on the wrong side of it.  And as Josh stacks seasons under his belt and racks up hits on his body, the potential for injury or physical decline increases.  This year feels like a "now or never" moment, before we have to go into a bit of rebuild period.

Per DraftKings, Bills are +500 to win the AFC. In others words, DraftKings is saying the Bills have a 20% chance of making it to the SuperBowl. 

Do the Bills have a 20% chance of missing the playoffs?  I don’t think so, my guess is about a 10% chance of missing the playoffs. If they get a rash of key injuries and bad bounces. 

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Per DraftKings, Bills are +500 to win the AFC. In others words, DraftKings is saying the Bills have a 20% chance of making it to the SuperBowl. 

Do the Bills have a 20% chance of missing the playoffs?  I don’t think so, my guess is about a 10% chance of missing the playoffs. If they get a rash of key injuries and bad bounces. 

That's not what that means

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, zow2 said:

There are some National talking heads that have the Bills on the decline...mainly due to other teams rising up in the AFC and Buffalo's tough schedule.  For whatever reason, while still respected, the Bills are not a sexy pick this season to do much of anything.

Does the fanbase feel they have a better chance at playing in the Super Bowl?  or not making the playoffs?   

I know most of us here are homers... and personally I'd be more surprised if they miss the playoffs.  The O looks to be really solid, the D is a question for me and how effectively McDermott tweaks it.

We were a little too sexy for our own good last year. We’re a playoff team and probably win the AFCE. I hope we peak for the playoffs rather than do it in reverse like we did last year. I’d rather be sexy when the playoffs roll around and skip the attention right now. 

• Like (+1) 3

I would bet a lot of money against them winning the AFC championship game (barring an injury to Mahomes/Burrow), but I also think there's no way they miss the playoffs. With the playoffs increasing to 7 seeds plus a 17th game, they would have to lose Allen for most of the year for that to happen and even then. More seeds+more games gives a massive edge to better than average teams and even on a decline the bills are certainly in the top 20% of the NFL.

A Better proposition might be more likely to win AFC championship game or lose the division. Int hat case I'd pick lose the division, even if I think it's likely they win the AFCE and get bounced by the Bengals or Chiefs in the playoffs again.

Edited by BullBuchanan

23 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

So THATS what that means! All this time I've been betting wrong.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.