Jets are releasing WR Denzel Mims if they can't trade him.

Gregg

Brian Costello on Twitter: "The Jets plan on releasing WR Denzel Mims if they can’t find a trade partner first, according to sources. Mims, a 2020 second-round pick, will get a fresh start somewhere else." / Twitter

Unless he is due a roster bonus I dont see the sense in letting him go to camp with anyone else.   Seems like he is going to go the way of many Baylor wideouts who come into the NFL, cant get off the press and cant run NFL level routes.     He isn't even a good red zone threat like he was in college. 

If he is released he may be worth a flyer but I think he his career will play out similar to another player we took a flyer on a few years back, Corey Coleman.  Different players, but similar issues.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Unless he is due a roster bonus I dont see the sense in letting him go to camp with anyone else.   Seems like he is going to go the way of many Baylor wideouts who come into the NFL, cant get off the press and cant run NFL level routes.     He isn't even a good red zone threat like he was in college. 

If he is released he may be worth a flyer but I think he his career will play out similar to another player we took a flyer on a few years back, Corey Coleman.  Different players, but similar issues.

Spot on.

I dont think the Bills should waste their time with him unless he is just a camp body.

35 minutes ago, eball said:

Nobody is suggesting they would.  The thread is about signing him if he is cut.

Passing a reading comprehension exam should be a posting requirement.  🤷‍♂️ 

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

3 years....0 TD's....45% catch rate....pass.

With what QBs? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's easy to put up good numbers in the Big 12, not exactly a conference built of defensive powerhouses. Feel like Mims came into the league thinking he'd dominate DBs the way he did at Baylor in the Big 12 and was thoroughly humbled by how hard it is to even get NFL open in the NFL.

I'd pass, even though he's played with meh QBs. Good wideouts get NFL open and shine even when the quarterback is so-so.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

The Jets have had a ROUGH history with drafting WR’s. They finally got a good one in Wilson but prior to, they had a drought Bills-like run.

True, it's been a long time since the hit on top flight WR.  Unfortunately I think Wilson is going to be even better than good.   He reminds me of Steph Diggs, but more explosive.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I hope I'm wrong but Justin Shorter reminds me a bit of him.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, uninja said:

It's easy to put up good numbers in the Big 12, not exactly a conference built of defensive powerhouses. Feel like Mims came into the league thinking he'd dominate DBs the way he did at Baylor in the Big 12 and was thoroughly humbled by how hard it is to even get NFL open in the NFL.

I'd pass, even though he's played with meh QBs. Good wideouts get NFL open and shine even when the quarterback is so-so.

I can't pass on him as depth. Harty is small, Sherfield overrated, Shakir was super inconsistent last year, this guy has a chance to be our 5th WR.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, boyst said:

I can't pass on him as depth. Harty is small, Sherfield overrated, Shakir was super inconsistent last year, this guy has a chance to be our 5th WR.

I agree with all of that- but I’d be shocked if he was better than any of the above at this point.  I think he’d be battling shorter for WR6.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Spot on.

I dont think the Bills should waste their time with him unless he is just a camp body.

Nope we have to sign him so we can do a blecheeiot and get all of there info on the jets system then release him.

12 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

doesnt announcing this essentially guarantee no one will trade for him?

Bold strategy, Cotten

i dont think theyre showing their hand to a competing trade market lol this is a bottom of the barrel "throw us SOMETHIN', and u wont compete with waiver wire". theyve already exhausted their initial demands efforts prior to announcing this

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

i dont think theyre showing their hand to a competing trade market lol this is a bottom of the barrel "throw us SOMETHIN', and u wont compete with waiver wire". theyve already exhausted their initial demands efforts prior to announcing this

That’s about it.  Basically saying, here’s an incredibly gifted guy, who you can have for a 7th rounder OR you can compete to sign him, hopefully we get something.. anything.. 

• Haha (+1) 1

The release if we can’t trade him are hilarious. On paper, seems like a great guy to kick the tires on. But the. You release Baylor receivers never really learned route trees and played in a gimmick system. 

minus Garret Wilson (who’s a stud), Jets are almost as bad as the Pats at finishing wrs 

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

I hope I'm wrong but Justin Shorter reminds me a bit of him.

Even if you are not, Shorter's a 5rh round shot to nothing who is a very able special teamer. Mims was a very early 2nd rounder who can do nothing but run fast in straight lines.

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Even if you are not, Shorter's a 5rh round shot to nothing who is a very able special teamer. Mims was a very early 2nd rounder who can do nothing but run fast in straight lines.

So...."Smoke" Brown!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.