ESPN Layoffs

Process

These pundits are paying for ESPN’s bad business decisions. Yes some of these pundits were on bloated contracts and every few years some people get let go or not resigned to deals. But ESPN has to do massive cuts because they failed to develop anyone or any programming meaningfully. 

56 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

I get it.  This was Howard Sterns schtick for a while too.  Honestly, personally, I change the channel if I see him, and it stops me from watching ESPN when he is on.  I honestly can't stand him.  I do the same with Hoda Cotb in a non-sports arena.   So it's not working on me....except I do greatly dislike him. lol.

Smith is a disgusting narcissist. 

Edited by ToGoGo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

As long as he's allowed to keep running his show the way he does now, hell be fine.

diseny gonna squeeze him, though. it won't last or sustain.

edit. plus his schtick is not going to last. he's the jim kramer of sports.

Edited by boyst

1 hour ago, JimBob2232 said:

I get it.  This was Howard Sterns schtick for a while too.  Honestly, personally, I change the channel if I see him, and it stops me from watching ESPN when he is on.  I honestly can't stand him.  I do the same with Hoda Cotb in a non-sports arena.   So it's not working on me....except I do greatly dislike him. lol.

Same with me.

Stephen A is particularly obnoxious. His takes are far too predictable, wildly over exaggerated rants.    I bet you didnt know he hates the cowboys and the cowboy fan base.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

A trickle down of players making 50 million a year.

That’s not how this works
That’s not how any of this works

Keyshawn Johnson is a known bills hater. Don’t feel bad about this at all.

8 minutes ago, Special K said:

Forget Kolber, what about Ashley Brewer....her legs alone should keep her from being unemployed for long!

This is very sexist
Which is why I feel bad that I agree with you

• Haha (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

Mcafee has to be thinking that he made a huge mistake

WTF? Why would he think that?

He signed an $85 Million deal with ESPN, then the layoffs came. They are moving towards a streaming workflow. On-air Broadcast" is dead. They got it right for once. Canada is moving towards the same thing with Bell, Rogers and The Score creating streaming studios that rival old-school Broadcast studios in budget. Technology has changed and ESPN had to cut the rope. It's streaming from here-on-out boys. Within the next 3 years most "Broadcast" stations will have only one studio and it will be controlled remotely for time zone content. Look up a company called: BirdDog PTZ cameras.

They are EVERYWHERE now... killing the need for $120K cameras and expensive cameramen. Just one tiny example.

McCafee uses this stuff...

3 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

If Steven A keeps his job...

Shouldn’t that be:

IF STEVEN A KEEPS HIS JOB

I personally don’t enjoy being yelled at. Maybe it’s just a me thing?  🤷‍♂️

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

WTF? Why would he think that?

He signed an $85 Million deal with ESPN, then the layoffs came. They are moving towards a streaming workflow. On-air Broadcast" is dead. They got it right for once. Canada is moving towards the same thing with Bell, Rogers and The Score creating streaming studios that rival old-school Broadcast studios in budget. Technology has changed and ESPN had to cut the rope. It's streaming from here-on-out boys. Within the next 3 years most "Broadcast" stations will have only one studio and it will be controlled remotely for time zone content. Look up a company called: BirdDog PTZ cameras.

They are EVERYWHERE now... killing the need for $120K cameras and expensive cameramen. Just one tiny example.

McCafee uses this stuff...

ESPN could have developed their own shows from the ground up cheaper, I think circa 2018 they could have outright hired McAfee for a fraction of the cost he went for later on and been more ahead of the pack instead of playing catchup and having to buy into the market at a premium cost. 

It's sad that these people are out of jobs because the company they work for couldn't adapt and had to dramatically shift resources over to streaming. But yeah the time would have come eventually just sad to see that this likely is going to impact other office and production workers and not just the well off pundits. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

diseny gonna squeeze him, though. it won't last or sustain.

edit. plus his schtick is not going to last. he's the jim kramer of sports.

That's what I'm afraid of.  As soon as they censor him they are both screwed.

Jim Rome has been doing it for decades now.  You build a big enough following and they will stay anyways.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Shouldn’t that be:

Smith will likely keep his job, he is one of the few "personalities" they have left that has any mainstream recognition. Largely because he is the only one they have promoted for a long time but he has his fans I guess. 

I hate for anyone to lose their job, but some of these guys like Keyshawn and Booger add absolutely nothing of value, and they should be set for life already. I wonder if they are making cuts at lower, non-visible levels too? Those folks I’d feel much worse for. They’re working to feed the kids and pay the bills. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That’s not how this works
That’s not how any of this works

Keyshawn Johnson is a known bills hater. Don’t feel bad about this at all.

It's exactly how it works.  It has gotten way too expensive to keep up with the increased costs the NFL demands to host MNF.  NFL and the players are greedy as heck and will do anything for an additional dime in their pocket.

Just waiting for the day for the NFL to price themselves out of more networks and they will end up on some dumb streaming platform that will kill their audience.

NFL is playing with fire with the amount of greed they are trying to obtain.  I can assure you, the NFL isn't what it is today, without MNF for all these years on ESPN or ABC.  They are currently biting the hand that is feeding them.  It may not seem like its an issue now because the money is flowing, but the harder it is to find the games or buy a service to watch the game, the more future fans you are throwing away.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

Shouldn’t that be:

I personally don’t enjoy being yelled at. Maybe it’s just a me thing?  🤷‍♂️

Text on a screen makes no sound.  I hate this routine that people insist on repeating once they see someone else do it.

Give us some original material, Augie! Not rehashed trash from the internet.

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

He'll gamble it away in 5 seconds.

This is so true.  The guy is such a hardcore gambler.

He is the kind of guy (and he has conceded as such himself, on air) who will place a bet with anyone about anything, literally for the sake of betting.  Like he'll stand on a street corner waiting to cross with a friend and he'll try to get a bet going regarding the color of the next car that passes them or something like that.

Just any, insignificant random thing, for the sake of gambling.

:lol:

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Text on a screen makes no sound.  I hate this routine that people insist on repeating once they see someone else do it.

Give us some original material, Augie! Not rehashed trash from the internet.

Well, here’s the thing - I have no idea what you are talking about. 

I don’t like people screaming around me and all talking at the same time. That seems to be largely the ESPN formula. I can’t take too much of their schtick. If other people have noticed that, maybe there is a reason. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

It's exactly how it works.  It has gotten way too expensive to keep up with the increased costs the NFL demands to host MNF.  NFL and the players are greedy as heck and will do anything for an additional dime in their pocket.

Just waiting for the day for the NFL to price themselves out of more networks and they will end up on some dumb streaming platform that will kill their audience.

NFL is playing with fire with the amount of greed they are trying to obtain.  I can assure you, the NFL isn't what it is today, without MNF for all these years on ESPN or ABC.  They are currently biting the hand that is feeding them.  It may not seem like its an issue now because the money is flowing, but the harder it is to find the games or buy a service to watch the game, the more future fans you are throwing away.

Huh!  All this time I thought it was the networks bidding themselves into oblivion that was setting the market. 

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

the kind of guy (and he has conceded as such himself, on air) who will place a bet with anyone about anything, literally for the sake of betting.  Like he'll stand on a street corner waiting to cross with a friend and he'll try to get a bet going regarding the color of the next car that passes them or something like that.

Just any, insignificant random thing, for the sake of gambling.

:lol:

i feel personally attacked

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.