ESPN Layoffs

Process

2 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

If Steven A keeps his job...

You understand that your outrage is what keeps him employed. Seeking him out so you can be outraged is attention and that is his job.. to keep your attention and he does it very well. He knows this. You apparently don't.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Rights fees have hit the point where networks can't break even anymore, and people don't want to pay through the nose for games on TV.

My daughter works in corporate strategy for a major network/cable company - she recently was involved in a project assessing regional sports networks.  Total mess. The biggest takeaway was that they would not be sustainable/viable with the rights currently being charged by the leagues.  MLB was especially obscene

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Malazan said:

You understand that your outrage is what keeps him employed. Seeking him out so you can be outraged is attention and that is his job.. to keep your attention and he does it very well. He knows this. You apparently don't.

Well, his name IS “JimBob”. What do you expect?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, stevewin said:

My daughter works in corporate strategy for a major network/cable company - she recently was involved in a project assessing regional sports networks.  Total mess. The biggest takeaway was that they would not be sustainable/viable with the rights currently being charged by the leagues.  MLB was especially obscene

Correct.

But the other side of the coin is networks can no longer demand the fees from cable/satellite providers that they need to float. Cable/satellite is hemorrhaging from people moving to internet based media.

16 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I get it.  This was Howard Sterns schtick for a while too.  Honestly, personally, I change the channel if I see him, and it stops me from watching ESPN when he is on.  I honestly can't stand him.  I do the same with Hoda Cotb in a non-sports arena.   So it's not working on me....except I do greatly dislike him. lol.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

How do they let Kolber go?  That’s crazy.

She doesn't generate clicks and revenue like Smith or other loud talking heads people like to get butthurt about

Gone our the days of journalism and conversation. In the ways of bias, rage, and energy to stir emotions.

ESPN dying is what needs to happen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

It’s crazy how much they have fallen off the last 10 years, especially the last 5. Sad for the people losing their jobs (they’ll be fine, I’m sure). But hopefully they get back to having decent sports shows again and not a bunch of former players bickering all the time

20 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Hate Kolbet is gone.  Love her!

10 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I'm ok with kolber going.

10 minutes ago, Rico said:

Poor Sassy Suzy. :(

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

How do they let Kolber go?  That’s crazy.

4 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Susy Kobler had 27 years.

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

She doesn't generate clicks and revenue like Smith or other loud talking heads people like to get butthurt about

Would ya?

suzy-kolber.jpg

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Correct.

But the other side of the coin is networks can no longer demand the fees from cable/satellite providers that they need to float. Cable/satellite is hemorrhaging from people moving to internet based media.

I'd be curious to know how much worse off specific networks are based on availability with over-the-air broadcasts.  I know they are still measured in the Nielsen ratings OTA but I'm sure it took a hit on their bottom line from it not being watch on cable/satellite. 

Early at the start of streaming media I switch to Roku and bought a good digital antenna and pointed it at Buffalo to pick up the games that were only aired in market to get by.  Everything was just streaming for me. (still puzzles me how Rochester was IN MARKET for blackout but OUT OF MARKET for local broadcast only).

11 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Kellerman used to be good on HBO boxing

I could see that.  Never really cared much for boxing until the last year or so but he does have that same type of delivery that I see from the commentators and announcers now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.