Media predictions for the AFC East

newcam2012

This bozo clearly doesn’t know that we do things differently in the AFC East. In the AFC East, when a team is the division champ, they reign for at least 10 years. Those are the rules. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There certainly is the possibility that The Bills don't come out on top in the AFCE. Football is a weird sport and things happen. 

That said, the road to the AFCE goes through Buffalo. Yes, on paper the Jets got better. On paper the Dolphins got better and you could even argue that despite being the 4th best team in the AFCE, the Pats improved. But so did the Bills. "If Tua stays healthy", "If Rodgers can bounce back", "If having an actual OC helps Mac" then it will be competitive.

Reminds me a lot of last year when many were excited that the AFCW was "stacked". The arms race was sure to make the Chiefs lose a few in their division and be nowhere NEAR that 1 seed. Right? I mean, the Chargers had Herbert and added to that defense. Denver brought in Russ...with all those young talented weapons. Heck, even the Raider got Adams. 

Doesn't that sound a lot like:

"Wow Jets brought in Rodgers"

"Wow, Miami has added to that defense"

And even possibly:

"Heck the Patriots got DHop"

History sometimes repeats itself. 

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So just a reminder not winning the AFCE is not the end all be all. Bucs won the SB in 2020 despite being a Wild Card and beat the Saints in their house who won the division that year. Rodgers only SB win came as a Wild Card. Steelers won the SB with Big Ben as a wild card in 2005. Elway's first SB in 1997 actually was as a WC team that beat ironically the Chiefs in their house who won the division. It is not uncommon at all for Wild Cards to make runs, generally though it is a top QB that drives that train which we have in Josh.

This is the most resistance Buffalo has faced on paper heading into a season since 2019 in division. The run NE had for the division was unprecedented in NFL history and won't be repeated as much as I would love Buffalo to. Not saying this year Buffalo won't win the division I think they are still the favorite at this time, but the resistance is real at least heading into the season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Unfortunately, it's not crazy to think the Bills could fail to win the AFC East. 

It's very possible the Bills don't even make the playoffs this season.

Even last year (13-3 overall record), the Bills managed to lose to both the Dolphins and Jets.  

Their victories over those teams were all close games and weren't dominant wins in the slightest.

The Jets only true weakness was QB, and they added a guy who has won MVP two of the last three seasons.  That's nothing to scoff at.

The Dolphins season was derailed by Tua's concussions.  It's not a forgone conclusion that he will get hurt again, like some here seem to believe.

Last year, the Bills went from losing a bunch of one-score games to finishing 6-3 in those contests.

On paper, this year's schedule looks tougher.  And if that stat flips backwards again this year, we are looking at a 9-10 win season.  

In an absolutely brutal AFC, that could be enough to miss the postseason.

• Haha (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

https://twsn.net/2023/06/the-buffalo-bills-will-not-win-the-afc-east-in-2023

Who is this writer? Certainly, makes some good points but leaves out several too. 

I still think the Bills have to be considered favorites in the division. 

We aren't who they thought we weren't. 

We're still the favorites.

We're still winning the East.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Who is this writer? Certainly, makes some good points but leaves out several too. 

He appears to be a photo journalist from Cincy.

https://muckrack.com/kareem-elgazzar

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

The Bills are the favorites but I can see them losing the division 

Division title would be nice but as long as we make the playoffs (which we will) I'd much rather they were at the top of their game in December than peaking in September. There are lots of new pieces so I expect that it will take awhile for the parts to mesh and I'm fine with that. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MPL said:

This bozo clearly doesn’t know that we do things differently in the AFC East. In the AFC East, when a team is the division champ, they reign for at least 10 years. Those are the rules. 

Which bozo, the one in the link or the OP?

• Haha (+1) 2

I think the Bills are more likely to win the AFCE than the Jets, Fins, or Pats.

But every year funny, unexpected things happen in the NFL so nothing is guaranteed.  

The funny, unexpected thing that I hope happens this year in the AFC is that the Bills beat both the Chiefs and Bengals on their way to the Lombardi.  

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Rico said:
1 hour ago, MPL said:

Which bozo, the one in the link or the OP?

In the words of Sean McDermott: "yeah, I appreciate your question but I'm not going to get into that." 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

….and I think he probably puts mint jelly on his toast. Take THAT! 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Unfortunately, it's not crazy to think the Bills could fail to win the AFC East. 

It's very possible the Bills don't even make the playoffs this season.

Even last year (13-3 overall record), the Bills managed to lose to both the Dolphins and Jets.  

Their victories over those teams were all close games and weren't dominant wins in the slightest.

The Jets only true weakness was QB, and they added a guy who has won MVP two of the last three seasons.  That's nothing to scoff at.

The Dolphins season was derailed by Tua's concussions.  It's not a forgone conclusion that he will get hurt again, like some here seem to believe.

Last year, the Bills went from losing a bunch of one-score games to finishing 6-3 in those contests.

On paper, this year's schedule looks tougher.  And if that stat flips backwards again this year, we are looking at a 9-10 win season.  

In an absolutely brutal AFC, that could be enough to miss the postseason.

I don't think it's "very possible" the Bills don't make the playoffs.  Even though the division and conference have improved, so have the Bills.  Is the difference between how much other teams got better and how much we got better enough to knock us out of the playoffs?  I have a very hard time believing that.  I mean, Bills not making the playoffs would be a monumental failure with the roster and expectation.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

So just a reminder not winning the AFCE is not the end all be all. Bucs won the SB in 2020 despite being a Wild Card and beat the Saints in their house who won the division that year. Rodgers only SB win came as a Wild Card. Steelers won the SB with Big Ben as a wild card in 2005. Elway's first SB in 1997 actually was as a WC team that beat ironically the Chiefs in their house who won the division. It is not uncommon at all for Wild Cards to make runs, generally though it is a top QB that drives that train which we have in Josh.

This is the most resistance Buffalo has faced on paper heading into a season since 2019 in division. The run NE had for the division was unprecedented in NFL history and won't be repeated as much as I would love Buffalo to. Not saying this year Buffalo won't win the division I think they are still the favorite at this time, but the resistance is real at least heading into the season.

Yeah not sure I even want to playoff games in WNY in January... Bills prob better on the road in a good weather situation, the way they play the game.  Hell, they barely beat the Fins in frostbite conditions and completely bogged down against Cinci in the slop.  

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Yeah not sure I even want to playoff games in WNY in January... Bills prob better on the road in a good weather situation, the way they play the game.  Hell, they barely beat the Fins in frostbite conditions and completely bogged down against Cinci in the slop.  

They had the best offensive performance in NFL history vs NE when it was frigid. CIN game was one game, they beat BAL in a similar cold slugfest. I will always take home games first, but I do have confidence with them on the road.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, corta765 said:

They had the best offensive performance in NFL history vs NE when it was frigid. CIN game was one game, they beat BAL in a similar cold slugfest. I will always take home games first, but I do have confidence with them on the road.

1 minute ago, ProcessTruster said:

Fair enough.  It seems to be, as Steve Tasker always says, with a single elimination tournament, you just need to play better on that day.  How you played prior doesn't matter very much and is not particularly indicative of how any single game (against a top 4 team) in the future will go.   

Edited by ProcessTruster

Buffalo has stalled in the playoffs for a few years now.  That makes pundits reluctant to keep favoring them.  The NY Jets and Miami gave the pundits alternative picks for the division title because of their strong off seasons.  It's their right if they want to pick somebody besides Buffalo.  I think Buffalo wins the division but it is certainly getting more competitive.

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Well, I would say this, which I didn't see mentioned, we have the same schedule as the other three teams, except that we play the Jags, @ Cincy, & Tampa;  the Fins play Carolina, @ Baltimore, & Tenn;  the Jets play Atlanta, @ Cleveland, & Houston

Assuming that the Jets sweep those games, that'd be a one or two game edge on us.  I wouldn't bet on us right now @ Cincy.  Presumably they'll be favored.  Jags will be much tougher this season with Lawrence in his third season and after having posted numbers over the last half of the season that had he done all season would have placed him in the top-5 QBs, and they finished their season 7-2 and 6-1.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Buffalo has stalled in the playoffs for a few years now.  That makes pundits reluctant to keep favoring them.  The NY Jets and Miami gave the pundits alternative picks for the division title because of their strong off seasons.  It's their right if they want to pick somebody besides Buffalo.  I think Buffalo wins the division but it is certainly getting more competitive.

A lot of people outside of Buffalo are also starting to question our coaching.  If the Strength-of-Schedule holds, this will be the most difficult schedule that McD's ever had to work against either here or in Carolina.  I've already pointed out in another thread that of the last 23 seasons (the drought era), McD's tenure and the drought years, he's had 5 of the 9 easiest SoS's working for him.  2021, our best season, was the third easiest during that time.  

Last season we split with the Jets and Fins and the Jets are definitely better this season.  As it was, four of the five games vs. the Fins & Jets were by 3 points or less.  The game that we beat the Jets we were actually outplayed and their two fumbles were the difference in that game.  We couldn't score more than 20 points in either Jets game.  

If we're as good as we all think and if McD's really a good coach, we should easily win the division.  Allen alone gives us that edge.  What happens after that is another thing.  

12 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

I wouldn't bet a nickel that Tua stays healthy the entire season.  

• Agree 1

The AFC East has been dominated by the best QB since the turn of century. That isn't going to change this year.

Bills injuries were insane last year, I can't see how it can be that bad again. Their whole secondary missed multiple games. 3 out of 4 DLine. Allen was hurt and Davis was hurt. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

The Bills are the favorites but I can see them losing the division 

If KD is a disaster again, that is, the Bills come out flat….

or,

Hyde, Poyer and Tre run into injury problems….

i can see the Bills losing the title to the jets….

but if KD has the O looking sharp and our secondary gets better than ever, which it easily could with Elam and Benford, 

Then, There is no way we lose the division, imho….

The offense should be fine for 20+ points even against great defenses.

The defense will be the best McD ever fielded despite missing Edmunds. 

And our STs should also be outstanding.

I think Klein opens up at ILB because we don’t want to put that much pressure on a very young LB…. Week one, Monday Night, road game….AFC East huge game. It shouldn’t really phase Klein. But eventually I see Milano calling the D and one of the young LBs playing in his spot. The young LB going out on 3rd and long replaced by Rapp.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.