Media predictions for the AFC East

newcam2012

4 hours ago, dma0034 said:

The AFC East has been dominated by the best QB since the turn of century. That isn't going to change this year.

Bills injuries were insane last year, I can't see how it can be that bad again. Their whole secondary missed multiple games. 3 out of 4 DLine. Allen was hurt and Davis was hurt. 

It was a nightmare season last year WRT off-field incidents and on-field player losses/injuries.  The off-field stuff won't come close to what happened last year and hopefully they can be healthier this year.

I've seen this sentiment around.

The Bills are taking a step back.  Miami & NY are poised to challenge for the division. If you read any stuff from New England, pundits and fans there think that they're "sneaky good" and that everyone is underestimating them.

It actually wouldn't shock me to see the Bills wrap up the division by mid-November.  This is the best Bills team in my lifetime.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

https://twsn.net/2023/06/the-buffalo-bills-will-not-win-the-afc-east-in-2023

Who is this writer? Certainly, makes some good points but leaves out several too. 

I still think the Bills have to be considered favorites in the division. 

Why would you dignify that nonsensical crap by making a thread out of it. This unknown sorry excuse for a NFL contributor is proud of his groundbreaking prediction but unfortunately all his reasoning is flawed. First, his assertion the Bills haven’t added talent is just silly. On defense, Floyd,Ford, Rapp, Williams,Dantzler not to mention the return of Hyde, Miller. On offense, McGovern, Shell,Edwards, Sherfield, Murray, Hardy, Harris and Kincaid. Why is this unknown qualified to say how good our running backs will be? How does he know Tua will be good enough to win a division? Does he know how the Jets , who haven’t made the playoffs in many years will overcome their O-line issues or their #1 RB coming off an ACL will play. Aaron Rodgers is an all time great, but he’s 40 on his next birthday and gets hurt every year. Give me Josh any day and always respect the champs until someone vanquishes them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I kinda like the thought of playing the Fins in Miami if they win the division.

With his track record I'll take JA17 in Miami on a 40-50 degree January day everytime. 

It will be nice having the sun shining on the Bills' bench...

• Haha (+1) 1

What the writer says does has some truth and value to it. If that is "dignifying" then so be it.

As you correctly pointed out many improvements to the Bills roster was omitted. 

I'd ask why do you seem so defensive and even angry? 

I posted it because I think it's stimulating to get alternative viewpoints. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Disagree 1

The Bills had arguably the worst injury luck in the league last year and still only lost 3 games by a combined 8 points. Despite what this nobody says, they also clearly got better in the off-season. 

We are definitely not a lock to win the division with the Jets and Dolphins making huge strides, but we're still the favorite for good reason.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

What the writer says does has some truth and value to it. If that is "dignifying" then so be it.

Ok…

Out of interest… do you think if the guy predicts the Bills to win the Division.. does anyone care?

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

His level of writing reminds me of my high school newspaper 

When I was an editor in college I have seen worse and most of them were English or Journalism majors doing articles or columns to meet requirements for degree.  Had one professor ask for originally submitted articles from me and since he was the University's official representative as well as their professor I did so but I also told the staff that we would be doing verbal reviews from now on before they gave me their first drafts.

So it’s been determined just find something else to do with your Sundays in the fall as this individual has determined how the season will go before a snap has been taken. 
No need to buy tickets or goto a game or even buy Bills merchandise since it’s clear they are the worst team in the division now that how it works?  

16 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

You’re confusing being defensive and angry for being less tolerant of shock value commentary that is designed to diminish the achievements of a team that was built to compete for as long as Josh is a Bill. I mean why would you give credence to an unknown Bills hater who offers up a prediction of abject failure by one of the elite teams in football. Poor reasoning, a serious lack of preparation in knowing personnel and an ill conceived optimistic perspective on unproven teams, is not a reason to doubt a known entity and a 3 year division winner, who finished 13 and 3 just last year after being decimated by injuries. These predictions don’t deserve serious discussions. 

38 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

You’re confusing being defensive and angry for being less tolerant of shock value commentary that is designed to diminish the achievements of a team that was built to compete for as long as Josh is a Bill. I mean why would you give credence to an unknown Bills hater who offers up a prediction of abject failure by one of the elite teams in football. Poor reasoning, a serious lack of preparation in knowing personnel and an ill conceived optimistic perspective on unproven teams, is not a reason to doubt a known entity and a 3 year division winner, who finished 13 and 3 just last year after being decimated by injuries. These predictions don’t deserve serious discussions. 

Lots of assumptions here. I'll leave it at that. 

13 hours ago, MPL said:

This bozo clearly doesn’t know that we do things differently in the AFC East. In the AFC East, when a team is the division champ, they reign for at least 10 years. Those are the rules. 

😆 Not too far wrong:

Dolphins won 10 AFC East championships in 15 years (from 1971-1985)

Buffalo won 6 AFC East titles in 8 years (from 1988-1995)

New England won 19 AFC East titles in 24 years (from 1996-2019)

Tough to be a Jets fan:

Team              # of AFC East titles*

Pats                        22

Phins                      13

Bills                        13

Colts                       6    (Balt/Ind was only in the AFC East from 1970-2002)

Oilers                      4    (haven't played in the AFC East since 1969)

Jets                        4     (they do have their Broadway Joe, historic Super Bowl though)

*From Wikipedia, counting from 1960 (starting as the AFL Eastern Conference).

I actually like that the division got tougher and won't be a cakewalk. Should make for some good, old school football, where division games are heavyweight bouts. We haven't seen that in the AFC East since before the rise of Tommy and the Hoodie at the turn of the century. And in the long run, hopefully it will just make the Bills more battle-tested for the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I wasn't going to dignify the article link with a click after reading many of the responses here, but I wanted to respond to your post:

The writer's alternative viewpoint is crap. His main premise is incorrect:

"However, teams around the league are getting better, and the Bills are staying the same."

Obviously, that is clearly untrue with the additions of Kincaid, Torrence, Harris, Murray, Harty, Sherfield, Floyd, etc., the re-signings, and addition by subtraction with the departure of Frazier. Not to mention the return of a fully healthy White and eventual return of Miller, as well as Dorsey having a year under his belt.

So, after that, anything he writes is not worth reading. That's why I agree with the poster who said it wasn't worth dignifying his article with a post. At the same time, I have no problem with you posting it, but the article's conclusion doesn't bother or worry me, or is stimulating with new info or analyses. Maybe I am a homer though and should be worried?

Edited by chongli

41 minutes ago, chongli said:

I wasn't going to dignify the article link with a click after reading many of the responses here, but I wanted to respond to your post:

The writer's alternative viewpoint is crap. His main premise is incorrect:

"However, teams around the league are getting better, and the Bills are staying the same."

Obviously, that is clearly untrue with the additions of Kincaid, Torrence, Harris, Murray, Harty, Sherfield, Floyd, etc., the re-signings, and addition by subtraction with the departure of Frazier. Not to mention the return of a fully healthy White and eventual return of Miller, as well as Dorsey having a year under his belt.

So, after that, anything he writes is not worth reading. That's why I agree with the poster who said it wasn't worth dignifying his article with a post. At the same time, I have no problem with you posting it, but the article's conclusion doesn't bother or worry me, or is stimulating with new info or analyses. Maybe I am a homer though and should be worried?

Fair post. I agree with the theme of your post.

I welcome all viewpoints from negative to positive and optimism to pessimism. That's the true beauty of this forum. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Fair post. I agree with the theme of your post.

I welcome all viewpoints from negative to positive and optimism to pessimism. That's the true beauty of this forum. 

I can appreciate the buzz the Dolphins are generating for the upcoming season. It's the level of confidence many of the pundits are projecting that bugs me. Many are dismissing the fact (as chongli mentioned) the Bills have gotten better. Cowturd has mentioned many times how McDaniels out coached McDermott 3X last season yet the Bills won 2 of the 3 and still generated 500 yards of offense in their only loss. Tua is a Milano and Miller crunch sandwich away from missing half the season. A secondary with a fully healthy White, Hyde, Poyer and 2nd year Elam should prove formidable. A new interior OL will open up the run game a bit more and give Josh more time to make better decisions that aren't rushed and turnover worthy. The beefy D front of Ford, Oliver and Jones should clog up opposing runners which was a problem against the more physical O Lines they faced last season. 

Honestly if Rodgers pans out in NY they may be more of a threat IMHO...  

• Like (+1) 3

On 6/16/2023 at 6:57 AM, Big Turk said:

This is awesome...the Bills and McD LOVE playing the underdog/get no respect role and this gives them all they need to play it...

It’s not about being disrespected. They got their respect, became consensus favorites, and failed. This is about other teams improving around them and the Bills plateauing.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Airseven said:

It’s not about being disrespected. They got their respect, became consensus favorites, and failed. This is about other teams improving around them and the Bills plateauing.

Leave it to the resident Dolphin fan to come up with some nonsense as usual.

I'd say the Bills improved quite a bit from last year.

At the end of the year, the Bills will win the division by at least 2 games. Book it.

That's the best part...it doesn't matter what all the talking heads or the fans say, it's what happens on the field that counts.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Leave it to the resident Dolphin fan to come up with some nonsense as usual.

I'd say the Bills improved quite a bit from last year.

At the end of the year, the Bills will win the division by at least 2 games. Book it.

That's the best part...it doesn't matter what all the talking heads or the fans say, it's what happens on the field that counts.

Great. But my post addressed the topic of the thread. And your reply offers no actual point other than the typical dose of wishful thinking.

5 hours ago, Airseven said:

Great. But my post addressed the topic of the thread. And your reply offers no actual point other than the typical dose of wishful thinking.

Don't need wishful thinking, they have the best QB in the division. And yes that includes some 40 year old who looked like a shell of himself last year.

Talk about desperate to hitch your wagon to a QB who doesn't win in the playoffs and is about to get a lesson from Father Time.

Then we have a team with a QB that hasn't played a full season since his senior year in High School and is in danger of being out of the NFL with one more concussion which likely will come within the first 5 games next year. 

Finally, we have little Maccy. 

Exactly who am I supposed to be afraid of?

Edited by Big Turk

Older guy here; I remember the late-80's - early-90's Bills were not always favored to win the division, it always seemed the pundits would predict the Dolphins w/Shula and Marino would take the crown.  After living thru the 0-20 1970's it was so heartening to see the Bills take the division more often than not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Don't need wishful thinking, they have the best QB in the division. And yes that includes some 40 year old who looked like a shell of himself last year.

Talk about desperate to hitch your wagon to a QB who doesn't win in the playoffs and is about to get a lesson from Father Time.

Then we have a team with a QB that hasn't played a full season since his senior year in High School and is in danger of being out of the NFL with one more concussion which likely will come within the first 5 games next year. 

Finally, we have little Maccy. 

Exactly who am I supposed to be afraid of?

Afraid of the Chiefs and Bengals who are in most people's eyes better than Buffalo. Likely to play at least one of them in the playoffs. 

Concerned about other teams like Miami, Jets, Chargers, and Jags. 

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Afraid of the Chiefs and Bengals who are in most people's eyes better than Buffalo. Likely to play at least one of them in the playoffs. 

Those two teams are not in our division.

Edited by Big Turk

Is it really a hot take?  

Jets — great defense and supposedly were a QB AWAY. They now have Rogers now, and are the media darlings. My take — This is the Jets the will screw this up and finish in 4th place.

Dolphins — look like they improved their D and that O is scary good with 2 GREAT WR and an OK QB in Tua. My Take — Tua last 4 games before he sadly gets another head injury and they struggle and barely make the playoffs.

Pats — their biggest change is actually getting a real OC to replace dumb and dumber. The D was top 3 last year but anyone watched the game saw they did awful against good QBs. They did beef up the D threw the draft with a potential Stud CB and some good LB who may be able to cover people. My Take — they win 10 games if DHop signs and Jones win Comeback player of the year. They miss the playoffs by a 1 win AGAIN. 

Bills - (not saying as it seems any breakdown is scrutinized way to much) last year they had a great regular season but IMO Ran out of steam in the playoffs. my take? They win the division and lose in the AFCCG to Cincy.. 

basically the Bills are SB contenders and win the division but IMO fall just short of the ultimate goal.

Edited by PatsFanNH

• 1 month later...

I really don't care what the talking heads say but I do find this amusing:  The four analysts on ESPN's "Get Up" show predicted who would win the AFCE.  Louis Riddick and Domonique Foxworth chose the Miami Dolphins while Harry Douglas and Mike Greenberg picked the New York Jets.  No one picked the Bills.  

The schedule is tougher.  The AFCE competition is tougher.  But I still think the Bills have a somewhat better chance at the Lombardi this year than they did last season.  

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/four-espn-analysts-predict-afc-east-winner-zero-pick-the-bills/ar-AA1e5ffW?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cb493f972a2c402bb17b007d2da65c7f&ei=72

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/16/2023 at 8:14 AM, newcam2012 said:

https://twsn.net/2023/06/the-buffalo-bills-will-not-win-the-afc-east-in-2023

Who is this writer? Certainly, makes some good points but leaves out several too. 

I still think the Bills have to be considered favorites in the division. 

Clearly with name "Cam" it is unreliable just as post was by not putting name in subject.

Would "Cam Sanderson Predicts Bills won't win AFC East" posted by newcam2012 get as many hits?

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/17/2023 at 10:20 PM, newcam2012 said:

Meanwhile Vegas >>>> MOST people.  

Vegas has us as the 2nd favorite in the AFC.  

but do you

On 6/18/2023 at 2:03 PM, PatsFanNH said:

Is it really a hot take?  

Jets — great defense and supposedly were a QB AWAY. They now have Rogers now, and are the media darlings. My take — This is the Jets the will screw this up and finish in 4th place.

Dolphins — look like they improved their D and that O is scary good with 2 GREAT WR and an OK QB in Tua. My Take — Tua last 4 games before he sadly gets another head injury and they struggle and barely make the playoffs.

Pats — their biggest change is actually getting a real OC to replace dumb and dumber. The D was top 3 last year but anyone watched the game saw they did awful against good QBs. They did beef up the D threw the draft with a potential Stud CB and some good LB who may be able to cover people. My Take — they win 10 games if DHop signs and Jones win Comeback player of the year. They miss the playoffs by a 1 win AGAIN. 

Bills - (not saying as it seems any breakdown is scrutinized way to much) last year they had a great regular season but IMO Ran out of steam in the playoffs. my take? They win the division and lose in the AFCCG to Cincy.. 

basically the Bills are SB contenders and win the division but IMO fall just short of the ultimate goal.

Most every team falls short when you can only predict one SB winner. 

luckily for us, your (not anyones) opinion doesn’t mean Jack.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.