Jim Kelly vs. Lesean McCoy

Shemp

If Jim wanted to be petty, all he would have to say is that the only titles Shady has are from games he was benched for and didn't even play a snap in.

Regardless, this is all stupid.  The argument has nothing to do with Super Bowls or whatever each guy has or doesn't have.  This was about whether the Bills need a top flight RB or not.  We don't. 

This is a passing league and pass catching weapons are where it's at.  Now, does the prospect of having a star RB running against light boxes have intrigue?  Of course it does, but I think the guys we have here can manage that just fine if we get better blocking up front.  Better blocking up front opens everything up in both the pass and running games.  That's why we all wish our front office took it more seriously than they have shown in the past.  Improve the o-line and the backs we have on the roster will be more than good enough to get the job done for the amount of time I want to spend running the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Thurman had a great O-Line. it's why he did what he did

It was good for sure but not great. Emmit Smith used to run through some gaping holes.  Haha

• Like (+1) 1

Always said he'd be perfect for this junk-grade media sh!t.

Has a totally reasonable,  OBVIOUS,  take that another WR would be more helpful RB............but spins it into enough controversy with a gratuitous shot at another former player to get himself and that irrelevant show he appeared on some clicks.   

Ultimately.........the dude is just a super-creep off the field.........and he's off the field forever now........so probably just a matter of time before he does something stupid and gets himself cancelled.

But maybe all the overzealous, celebrity worshipping Bills fans who worshipped him for all the wrong reasons will wise up to their gullibility now, though.  

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Thurman Thomas was the greatest RB of all time, IMO and ahead of his time. If he played in today's game he would be unstoppable. He basically was anyways. 

McCoy was a very good to maybe great RB. That's the difference. 

Thurman wasn’t the best RB on his college team.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Eassyyyy Shady.  You're talking about one of our Rushmore guys here.  I've liked you since you became a Bill and after, but that can change reall quick when you go after a Buffalo legend.

I get it with LeSean taking it easy and maybe watching his words but he's not wrong,  and I will admit that for years I have always wanted Kelly to just be a fan and stay out of the way. 

10 hours ago, Gregg said:

When you look at the Bills history with QB's there are only 4 worth mentioning. Kemp, Ferguson, Kelly, Allen. 

I’m still irritated Bledsoe couldn’t get us past the Steelers’ 3rd string roster to get into the playoffs, or he’d be on this list too. Honorable mention for Flutie…and his Flakes were top notch! 

Jim Kelly could NOT have even existed in the era of social media. So let's please all take his sanctimoniousness with a grain of salt. He's not unimpeachable. 

LeSean McCoy is ALSO not known to be the most decent dude in real life (because of increased access to information). But McCoy never took shots at Jim Kelly's career (or holier-than-thou views) until Jim Kelly took shots at McCoy's efforts to amplify civil rights. 

All that being said (two flawed dudes on opposite ends of the political spectrum), this topic is mostly just a tribal whistle. It's not really germane. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Dislike 1

#1- they are absolutely both in agreement the bills need a "top dog" / "star" RB

#2 - then to transition to throwing shade at Kelly for 4 SB loses ?? sounds like he has an ax to grind...probably the kneeling issue

#3- when shady was with buffalo....i always admired how candid he was with the press instead of the corporate speak. now he's a talking head on TV and trying to make a mark.....but he came out on this too strong against kelly and seemingly out of nowhere.... poor taste.

#4- some truth to Kelly getting more credit and less blame than is deserved. he personally played horrible in those SB games and was completely surrounded on offense with alot of elite talent....thomas, reed, lofton, hull, richter, ballard, wolford ....my goodness

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, papazoid said:

#1- they are absolutely both in agreement the bills need a "top dog" / "star" RB

#2 - then to transition to throwing shade at Kelly for 4 SB loses ?? sounds like he has an ax to grind...probably the kneeling issue

#3- when shady was with buffalo....i always admired how candid he was with the press instead of the corporate speak. now he's a talking head on TV and trying to make a mark.....but he came out on this too strong against kelly and seemingly out of nowhere.... poor taste.

#4- some truth to Kelly getting more credit and less blame than is deserved. he personally played horrible in those SB games and was completely surrounded on offense with alot of elite talent....thomas, reed, lofton, hull, richter, ballard, wolford ....my goodness

Kudos to your nuanced post here. The ability to embrace ambivalence is so essential to reasonable discourse.

One question, though: why was McCoy uniquely acting "seemingly our of nowhere...poor taste" in criticizing a person (Kelly) who had previously criticized him? Why wasn't Kelly also classless years prior in his initial criticism of McCoy trying to amplify civil rights? 

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Kudos to your nuanced post here. The ability to embrace ambivalence is so essential to reasonable discourse.

One question, though: why was McCoy uniquely acting "seemingly our of nowhere...poor taste" in criticizing a person (Kelly) who had previously criticized him? Why wasn't Kelly also classless years prior in his initial criticism of McCoy trying to amplify civil rights? 

I think there's a fine line between trying to amplify civil rights and disrespecting the flag. That's how many people viewed the kneeling, although he didn't kneel, he "stretched." If shady (good nickname, he likes to throw shade) was intending to get a rise out of people, he did. His response to Kelly's criticism of this action came years later...and appeared to come out of nowhere. Was he grinding an axe all this time?

• Like (+1) 2

I love Jim, and I love Shady too.  But man... Kelly ought to have looked in the mirror before his comments on Shady.  Although he has certainly done a complete turn around in the years since, Jim starting out his relationship locally by saying that he "cried when Buffalo drafted him", is not exactly a statement dripping with respect.

18 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Eassyyyy Shady.  You're talking about one of our Rushmore guys here.  I've liked you since you became a Bill and after, but that can change reall quick when you go after a Buffalo legend.

Yeah, the legend who never won us crap. 

No free passes. 

19 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Thurman Thomas was the greatest RB of all time, IMO and ahead of his time. If he played in today's game he would be unstoppable. He basically was anyways. 

McCoy was a very good to maybe great RB. That's the difference. 

I love Thomas but best all time… come on man 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

If Bills kicker had made a 47 yd field goal we wouldn’t be having this conversation. 

20 hours ago, corta765 said:

Heck if the defense could've made a tackle on 3rd down they could've won by two scores lol.

20 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

and if Kelly worked the clock better he could have put Norwood in a better position to kick the winner.

All the above are true... and Frank Reich had the laces pointing to the right... which will make the kick fade to the right. 

19 hours ago, Gregg said:

When you look at the Bills history with QB's there are only 4 worth mentioning. Kemp, Ferguson, Kelly, Allen. 

This is an interesting point. Those 4 QBs played a total of 24.5 seasons for the Bills alone. The Bills have completed 62 seasons. So that means the above 4 played 39.5% of the Bills history.

I wonder how that compares with other NFL teams? I suspect that any perceived "QB curse" in Buffalo is not really as bad as it feels.

19 hours ago, nucci said:

Thurman had a great O-Line. it's why he did what he did

Thurman had an excellent offensive line but he had a great feel and instinct (vision?) for finding cracks and crevices. Many times he made his blockers look good by maximizing what was there.

22 hours ago, Blah Blah said:

Ooch. Ouch. These two guys are now going at it.

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/lesean-mccoy-jim-kelly-trash-talk/

I like both Shady and Kelly.  I do agree that Kelly’s comments about Allen might have been a little antiquated but got Shady to criticize him for not winning Super Bowl’s is a bit much.  He won a ring by standing on the sidelines in warm ups.  

Also remember where Shady works….FS1.  The same channel that’s the home to Colin Cowherd, Nick Wright, Emmanuel Acho etc… they encourage their talents to go over the top with their opinions 

4 hours ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

You don't say that a survivor like Kelly is "still losing" you f-ing moron.  Every day he gets is a gift.

Yep. That’s what a lot of “Bills fans” here seem to forget as well.

***** Shady McCoy. 

• Like (+1) 1

Both men have their points but McCoy wasn't a Bill long enough to earn the stripes to sound off on Jim Kelly, disagreement or no. I wonder if he was as critical of the Eagles QBs during his tenure that also failed to win the big one. I suspect not.

I will say however that many veterans seem to hang around a little too long as though they are still kings.

Exhibit A - Terry Bradshaw's slandering of Ben Roethlisberger. I know Ben has his off the field history but Terry was petty and jealous of being usurped in team passing history.

Shady makes some good points but why? What is the end game? 2/3 of people will support Jim. Shady is constantly talking stuff about someone. Shady might want to look in the mirror. In particular his personal life has some drama. Entitled to his opinion. With your opinion you’re gonna get a response. Really don’t much care. Kelly is not untouchable. 

On 4/21/2023 at 8:55 AM, NUT said:

Kelly has always been kind of a dumbass. And McCoy is right, four time loser.

Sure, because you have lived a perfect life, and your accomplishments, far too many to mention.  

Edited by BillsNutHawaii
Added content

The comments here, to this specific post - attempting to denigrate Jim Kelly, have to be some of the most ignorant on the entire internet.  
For Jim Kelly’s critics, what makes you so perfect ? What have you accomplished?  What makes you superior to him?

Sure, JK has had flaws, he’s admitted it, shared some regrets, and since then has contributed FAR more to the Western NY community than most.  To be blunt, if you’re a critic of Jim Kelly, you’re a total loser! And if the moderators here need to ban me for it, so be it.  But anyone with an ounce of sense knows I’m right. Cant believe this nonsense is even being discussed - especially here in a Bills fan forum no less. 
For those too young to remember or to have observed, Jim Kelly has donated a tremendous amount of his time, money, resources, friendship and personal concern to many, many thousands of Western New York residents.  For that, he will always be loved and admired, and in this case be defended -at least by me! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

The comments here, to this specific post - attempting to denigrate Jim Kelly, have to be some of the most ignorant on the entire internet.  
For Jim Kelly’s critics, what makes you so perfect ? What have you accomplished?  What makes you superior to him?

Sure, JK has had flaws, he’s admitted it, shared some regrets, and since then has contributed FAR more to the Western NY community than most.  To be blunt, if you’re a critic of Jim Kelly, you’re a total loser! And if the moderators here need to ban me for it, so be it.  But anyone with an ounce of sense knows I’m right. Cant believe this nonsense is even being discussed - especially here in a Bills fan forum no less. 
For those too young to remember or to have observed, Jim Kelly has donated a tremendous amount of his time, money, resources, friendship and personal concern to many, many thousands of Western New York residents.  For that, he will always be loved and admired, and in this case be defended -at least by me! 

Fine words...100% agree.

Jim was more of a team leader in 1 week than McCoy was in his whole career.

Jim has done more for WNY in 1 day than McCoy could in a lifetime.

Beware those who try to build themselves up by tearing others down.

My sense of McCoy when he occasionally played was he was a fake, glad my sense was confirmed. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.