Cam Newton open to backing up Buffalo Bills’ Josh Allen

HOUSE

3 hours ago, jaybills said:

So he's willing to back up any black QB, first and foremost. Got it, Cam. 

Or he listed QBs who are likely to get injured due to their age, history, and/or playing style.

10 hours ago, HOUSE said:

It's never a good Idea to set conditions when there is little to no interest anyway.

His agent needs to sit him down and have a long chat about reality ..

He should hire Lamar Jackson as his agent!  Heck, back up Lamar and they both can’t get a job this year!

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While I don't personally have a lot of interest in Cam, I can't for sure say Kyle Allen is a better backup than Cam would be (although I do think Allen is based on what we last saw from Newton).  But if Cam was willing to come in cheap and compete with Allen, I don't have a problem with that.  Let the better player win.  At least with Cam, the mobility component that Josh brings to the game would be able to stay in the game plan, but the real question is whether or not his arm is dead because it sure looked dead last he played in NE.

That being said, I think they feel fine with Kyle Allen and I do not expect them to bring in Cam or anyone to compete.  Just saying if they did, I would be ok with it as long as he was as cheap as Kyle would be.  It also would not surprise me to see them draft a QB at some point later in the draft if someone they were intrigued by was there to groom as a potential future backup QB on the cheap.

Wow Alpha, you're a very good poster with a lot of good insight but I invite you to re-read your post.  It is completely backwards to what a team

wants from a backup QB. 

You end your Cam post with, "but the real question is whether or not his arm is dead".  Let me ask you this.  Let's say for the sake of argument, that

Cam can still run the way he did in 2016.  I say he can't, but let's say some fans say he can.  Is this the QB you want to bring to camp for the 2nd team?

I can't think of a QB less qualified to help the Bills 2nd team offense during camp than Cam.  I say this because his arm IS DEAD.

Don't waste time with an old washed-up former MVP QB.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Wow Alpha, you're a very good poster with a lot of good insight but I invite you to re-read your post.  It is completely backwards to what a team

wants from a backup QB. 

You end your Cam post with, "but the real question is whether or not his arm is dead".  Let me ask you this.  Let's say for the sake of argument, that

Cam can still run the way he did in 2016.  I say he can't, but let's say some fans say he can.  Is this the QB you want to bring to camp for the 2nd team?

I can't think of a QB less qualified to help the Bills 2nd team offense during camp than Cam.  I say this because his arm IS DEAD.

Don't waste time with an old washed-up former MVP QB.

Thanks, and no worries.  First to be clear, I think you might be misinterpreting what I was saying.  I opened my last post stating I am not personally interested in Cam and ended it with I don't think the Bills will have any interest either.  

But, I am not sure I follow what you are trying to say here with what I bolded above.  I referenced 2 backups battling to win the back up spot.  I mean that is the very definition of camp and exactly what a team wants at all times, competition.  I was not even advocating for it, all I said was that I wouldn't have a problem with it if they did bring him in cheap to compete with Allen.  I even stated his arm looked dead to me in NE too, so we are not even in disagreement on that. 

I will say this though, there are many cases where I have seen fans say certain players are washed and done just to see them go on to prove that wrong.  I mean this board said Hughes was done after posting 2.5 sacks his final year here just to see him put up 9 sacks in Houston this year.  

To be clear, I am no way saying Cam is gonna have some resurgence, as I already stated, I too believe his arm looked dead last we saw him play in NE.  Just saying if they kicked the tires to see what was actually left in the tank, I wouldn't have an issue with it either.  That being said, I don't have a personal interest in Cam and I don't believe the Bills will either.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

Why did he pick certain players he's willing to back-up. It's a back-up position. You're on the bench or sidelines. I don't get it.

The more I think of it, It's actually a little creepy. 

Yeah, as if he has any choice.  And he would be thrilled with any team showing any interest at all, of course.  None will.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To be clear, I am no way saying Cam is gonna have some resurgence, as I already stated, I too believe his arm looked dead last we saw him play in NE.  Just saying if they kicked the tires to see what was actually left in the tank, I wouldn't have an issue with it either.  That being said, I don't have a personal interest in Cam and I don't believe the Bills will either.  

No way do I want Cam on the roster week 1 even if he could do better than the other Allen in training camp and preseason.  If he is on roster week 1 he is paid entire year and when a QB's arm is weakening it gets worse the more the snaps he gets.  Cam might be okay as 1 or 2 game substitute if game plan and opponent is right but there is no way he can last season especially one of the primary jobs of backup QB is to be the QB on the scout team.

If Cam says "Sure I'll take a spot on practice squad and if you need me to be escalated for a game I will show what I have left", I'd say it is worth a chance even if he is just reviewing game plans with OC like Davis Webb did but I am not even sure he can RUN as well as Davis Webb. i was really impressed with his TD for Giants.

Sorry for commercial.  Hate NFL.com showing commercials longer than replay.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/davis-webb-enters-beast-mode-on-powerful-14-yard-td-run-in-fourth-quarter

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Huh? The whole clown thing is just a garbage way to describe someone looking for a contract. It’s a billion dollar business. Stop getting in your feelings about it. Worrying about another man’s money is clown behavior. Either he gets it or he doesn’t. 

He’s already lost more than he’ll ever recover.  I’ll go with idiot, instead of clown, how’s that?

• Like (+1) 1

Cam could have some value as a short yardage QB like teams have done w/ Brissett. 17 rushing TDs in his last 23 games. His arm is shot, but he’s def still got the wheels. Obviously we are good in that department, but he may be able to contribute elsewhere.

Love or hate him, he’s one of the best physical specimens of all time up there w/ Jamarcus Russell, Luck, Culpepper, Vick, Allen, etc. And he was one of the few able to actually put it all together. His run was brief, but he revolutionized the position. Without Cam Newton there 100% would be no Josh Allen playing for the Bills for obvious reasons. Put some respeck on his name. 

3 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Will this Topic reach 200 comments?

Of course it will, it the off season,😁👍

On 4/6/2023 at 10:58 AM, Nextmanup said:

No thanks, Cam.

Here are some of my favorites:

Cam_Newtons_fashion.5.png

cam-newton_4jpg.jpg

image8.jpeg

nbc_pft_bestofmonday_171211.jpg

FMkKZ4OLLjjPylkSnQzMy1OaFo96S9tUke-vb5ow

Really, is this a guy you would want as your backup QB.  He always wants to be the centre of attention.

59 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Sooo seeing how both these threads are running back to back. 

Having to choose between Peterman and Newton who do you take as QB 2. These are the only two options available 

Go!

Do you choose to hang yourself with the intestines or cut your balls off and choke to death swalllowing them?

Go!

Sometimes choosing or proposing the choices is the bad choice.

Bills are not restrained by the 2 choices you have provided.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.