Cam Newton open to backing up Buffalo Bills’ Josh Allen

HOUSE

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

* Lamar Jackson has entered the chat *

Lamar Jackson has a $32M 1-year non-exclusive franchise tag contract from the Ravens awaiting his signature.

No one else wants him because they'd have to give the Ravens 2 first round picks.

Different situation entirely than Cam right now.

Heathy Cam >>>>> Kyle Allen

people hate him, and get it to an extent, but if he’s healthy (and that’s a huge if), he’s the perfect backup to Allen. Former MVP, played in a SB, was said to be a great team guy in NE.  It won’t happen but I feel a million times better winning a game with him than Josh’s friend Kyle. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Lamar Jackson has a $32M 1-year non-exclusive franchise tag contract from the Ravens awaiting his signature.

No one else wants him because they'd have to give the Ravens 2 first round picks.

Different situation entirely than Cam right now.

I hear ya. My opinion of him as a clown is more akin to a fool. Was listening to Sirius XM NFL yesterday. The Ravens have offered him 6 years, $270 million with $150 million guaranteed. More than Bills paid Josh Allen. More fully guaranteed money than Josh. He declined. That is the epitome of “clown”. 

15 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I hear ya. My opinion of him as a clown is more akin to a fool. Was listening to Sirius XM NFL yesterday. The Ravens have offered him 6 years, $270 million with $150 million guaranteed. More than Bills paid Josh Allen. More fully guaranteed money than Josh. He declined. That is the epitome of “clown”. 

In billion dollar business where owners make billions for being terrible (Dan Snyder is going to make a billion dollar profit for being the worst owner in sports), players who can be cut at any time when they get injured, how is a player a clown for maximizing their value? You can question his tactics which is reasonable but how does that make him a clown?

also because something is reported, how do we know that is true? If you thought you were the best or one of the best at your job and someone you thought you were better than got a better contract than you, you would just be ok with that? I think you would be a clown to just be ok with that. 

41 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

Why did he pick certain players he's will to back-up. It's a back-up position. You're on the bench or sidelines. I don't get it.

The more I think of it, It's actually a little creepy. 

He was picking qbs who his style is similar to. I do agree he probably should humble himself and realize he has little leverage now. 

37 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

This is like being an airline pilot, "Yeah I crashed a few planes , ran out of gas twice but I will only work for Delta, American Airlines, Jet Blue and Eastern. "

But the pilot also was a decorated military pilot who won several awards before crashing those planes. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

In billion dollar business where owners make billions for being terrible (Dan Snyder is going to make a billion dollar profit for being the worst owner in sports), players who can be cut at any time when they get injured, how is a player a clown for maximizing their value? You can question his tactics which is reasonable but how does that make him a clown?

also because something is reported, how do we know that is true? If you thought you were the best or one of the best at your job and someone you thought you were better than got a better contract than you, you would just be ok with that? I think you would be a clown to just be ok with that. 

Is Josh Allen a clown for accepting less than YOU perceive his market value?

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Is Josh Allen a clown for accepting less than YOU perceive his market value?

Huh? The whole clown thing is just a garbage way to describe someone looking for a contract. It’s a billion dollar business. Stop getting in your feelings about it. Worrying about another man’s money is clown behavior. Either he gets it or he doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Because he is outside looking in, didn't even play last year.  He is not even a luke warm commodity 

Well, duh. I never said that any team should sign him. I never  even argued against any point in the post I quoted here. Obviously there is very little upside and a whole lot of downside for a team that would sign him - especially if he tries to mentor a young player. No disagreement there.

But explain to me why a player who has made so much money already should play for vet minimum (or close) to play somewhere he doesn’t want to play?. 

32 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Heathy Cam >>>>> Kyle Allen

people hate him, and get it to an extent, but if he’s healthy (and that’s a huge if), he’s the perfect backup to Allen. Former MVP, played in a SB, was said to be a great team guy in NE.  It won’t happen but I feel a million times better winning a game with him than Josh’s friend Kyle. 

except he was terrible his last couple of seasons

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Huh? The whole clown thing is just a garbage way to describe someone looking for a contract. It’s a billion dollar business. Stop getting in your feelings about it. Worrying about another man’s money is clown behavior. Either he gets it or he doesn’t. 

Your initial response to me asked why a player (who might get injured) wouldn’t want to maximize their earnings in a billion dollar industry. Do you not understand what “fully guaranteed” money is? He declined over $150 million of fully guaranteed money. Ok, I’ll qualify my characterization of him “foolish clown” 

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

That’s why it’s if he is healthy. His shoulder was shot. It’s also more of what I think of Kyle Allen. I think he might be the worst backup in the league next to Peterman. Josh is a monster but we have been really lucky with him not getting too majorly hurt. 

I would feel better with Cam running a wishbone than Kyle Allen. JMO. 

6 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Your initial response to me asked why a player (who might get injured) wouldn’t want to maximize their earnings in a billion dollar industry. Do you not understand what “fully guaranteed” money is? He declined over $150 million of fully guaranteed money. Ok, I’ll qualify my characterization of him “foolish clown” 

Agree to disagree. IT’s negotiations and a lot of rumors being reported. I don’t blame any player for getting every penny they can. Every other sport has guaranteed contracts. Why not the sport that has the shortest careers? 

if in a few years, the nfl has guaranteed contracts, will Lamar be a clown or a trendsetter? 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s why it’s if he is healthy. His shoulder was shot. It’s also more of what I think of Kyle Allen. I think he might be the worst backup in the league next to Peterman. Josh is a monster but we have been really lucky with him not getting too majorly hurt. 

I would feel better with Cam running a wishbone than Kyle Allen. JMO. 

I'd feel better watching Cam Newton suck the meat off of a wishbone on Thanksgiving than to ever see him in a Bills uniform.

I've always been a Cam Newton fan, but he absolutely sucks now.  Healthy or not.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I think Cam Newton is far better in his own mind than he is under center.

But that separates great athletes from regular people. You have to be overly confident. I’m sure he just thinks he is still young enough and sees awful qbs getting paid good money and knows his resume. 

but he should have someone in his ear telling him to just do a fake grateful for the opportunity and I’ll do whatever it takes to help the team act because it would help him get signed. People surround themselves with too many yes men.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'd feel better watching Cam Newton suck the meat off of a wishbone on Thanksgiving than to ever see him in a Bills uniform.

I've always been a Cam Newton fan, but he absolutely sucks now.  Healthy or not.

That sounds oddly specific 

and he probably is shot. I just think a GM’s job is to constantly try to make the team better. Why not bring him in for a workout? 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why not bring him in for a workout? 

Because it's a needless distraction and there is no chance of us actually signing him. He can't physically play the position anymore. The Bills did exactly what they should have done at backup QB - sign the cheapest guy available that has some experience taking snaps. If Josh goes down our season is over anyways. Bargain shopping for his backup is our best bet. But it has to be someone that can physically play the position, not a reclamation project.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Because it's a needless distraction and there is no chance of us actually signing him. He can't physically play the position anymore. The Bills did exactly what they should have done at backup QB - sign the cheapest guy available that has some experience taking snaps. If Josh goes down our season is over anyways. Bargain shopping for his backup is our best bet. But it has to be someone that can physically play the position, not a reclamation project.

But that’s crap And thank god you aren’t the GM. The Eagles won a SB with their backup. The 49ers had backups set in and win games.  We signed Keenum last year who has won playoff games. 

obviously it’s a monster drop off if Allen got hurt. But it’s a slap in the face to the rest of the teams and fans to not have the best backup they can (I do agree price is a factor).  Hell, Teddy Two Gloves is out there still. He might take less to compete for a SB.

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

His last 3 seasons have been bad, real bad.  Add to it, he didn't even play last year.

His record during his "swan song years" is 7-15 with all 7 wins playing for NE.  2 of those wins against the 2-14 Jets.

His final season with Carolina, Cam's record was 0-5.  4 Passing TDs, 5 INTs, 54% completions, 4 Fumbles.  He did do well as a short yardage RB!

Kyle Allen will be nothing more than a backup QB in the NFL going forward and his career record is 7-12 playing for Carolina, Washington

and Houston.  During those times Allen beats Cam in just about every QB passing statistic.

Cam was a great QB in his prime and helped usher in a whole new type of QB play into the NFL.  He will be remembered for that!

He needs to admit to himself that it's over.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bulldog said:

The way Cam tends to dress he'll fit right in on the streets in Western New York - he'll blend into the crowd so well that he'll hardly be noticed.

image.png.35fd185ba528f013164a4cd6313bfe72.png

Is zoot suit city still there?  I think i have a new celebrity spokesman for them!

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Sure, and he had a $1.6 million cap hit. We're tight against the cap as it is. We have to make concessions somewhere. Backup QB is easily the best spot to do that.

I’m not really arguing with you specifically. I know there is a cap on what we can spend on a backup qb.  But I know we can do better than Kyle Allen. It’s too important to just settle for a guy because he’s friends with Allen. 

5 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Is zoot suit city still there?  I think i have a new celebrity spokesman for them!

Maybe the David Byrne "Big Suit" can be the new game day look for the team. If it is made a little more colorful - then I am sure that Cam would be on board for it. Come to think of it, given the physique of some of our offensive lineman (I'm thinking of you Dion Dawkins) the Big Suit might not look silly at all.  

image.thumb.png.d35850852a0c906daeb9d052aa8f70b7.png

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m not really arguing with you specifically. I know there is a cap on what we can spend on a backup qb.  But I know we can do better than Kyle Allen. It’s too important to just settle for a guy because he’s friends with Allen. 

I think we settled on Kyle Allen because his salary is low enough to help us qualify for a 3rd round comp pick for Edmunds. Anyone else we signed for that salary would be of similar quality. Would I take a slightly better backup at the cost of a 3rd round pick in 2024? Absolutely not.

6 hours ago, HOUSE said:

“I’m a big fan of Josh and he’s actually getting coached by a person I know extremely well in Ken Dorsey,” Newton said back in 2020. “He was my quarterback coach the year I won the MVP.”

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2023/04/former-nfl-mvp-open-to-backing-up-buffalo-bills-josh-allen.html

So he's willing to back up any black QB, first and foremost. Got it, Cam. 

• Haha (+1) 1

While I don't personally have a lot of interest in Cam, I can't for sure say Kyle Allen is a better backup than Cam would be (although I do think Allen is based on what we last saw from Newton).  But if Cam was willing to come in cheap and compete with Allen, I don't have a problem with that.  Let the better player win.  At least with Cam, the mobility component that Josh brings to the game would be able to stay in the game plan, but the real question is whether or not his arm is dead because it sure looked dead last he played in NE.

That being said, I think they feel fine with Kyle Allen and I do not expect them to bring in Cam or anyone to compete.  Just saying if they did, I would be ok with it as long as he was as cheap as Kyle would be.  It also would not surprise me to see them draft a QB at some point later in the draft if someone they were intrigued by was there to groom as a potential future backup QB on the cheap.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While I don't personally have a lot of interest in Cam, I can't for sure say Kyle Allen is a better backup than Cam would be (although I do think Allen is based on what we last saw from Newton).  But if Cam was willing to come in cheap and compete with Allen, I don't have a problem with that.  Let the better player win.  At least with Cam, the mobility component that Josh brings to the game would be able to stay in the game plan, but the real question is whether or not his arm is dead because it sure looked dead last he played in NE.

That being said, I think they feel fine with Kyle Allen and I do not expect them to bring in Cam or anyone to compete.  Just saying if they did, I would be ok with it as long as he was as cheap as Kyle would be.  It also would not surprise me to see them draft a QB at some point later in the draft if someone they were intrigued by was there to groom as a potential future backup QB on the cheap.

I think the Bills found there backup for the next 5 years. Kind of like Frank Reich. JMO

I guess I watched the Twitter feed 10 times today.

Maybe it's my twisted sense of humor but the entire clip needs to be archived for future generations to enjoy 

This clip has everything,  big ego, no interested teams, fancy outfit and a carefully prepared list of QBs that excludes some of the best,  Burrows, Herbert, Purdy, ect

Nope won't be a backup there.

You know, I think Antonio Brown wrote this speech 

Amazing , nice job

In a pass happy NFL when top quarterbacking is king even an average quarterback is sucked through free agency and overpaid by millions 

What we have here is insufficient sucking :w00t:

Edited by HOUSE

When Ralph asked Marv to step in as GM, Marv told him he'd rather be the head coach. I think that comeback would have stood a better chance of success than Cam coming back as a QB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.