Two Bills Drive being correct on the Draft: Who did we get right?

Mikie2times

I'm looking for examples from the forum that ended up being either available or very close, the player ended up being good, and the board was on him. The biggest example I can think of is Haloti Ngata. I think 90% of the forum wanted him.  We ended up with Donte Whitner instead. Anybody else stand out to you?

• Like (+1) 1

This is always one of my favorite topics. I think more than half the time the board consensus would have been better than the GM and personnel experts, despite half the available information. I always think that level of hubris needs to be factored in to BPA and other discussions.

Recent examples:

- Creed Humphrey over Boogie Basham

- Breece Hall over Kaiir Elam

There are so many examples from earlier that left everyone scratching their head

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

What's Maybin doing these days? I heard he was doing some mayhem with a paint brush or something? 

Just recently read an Article where he claimed the Lamar Jackon situation was racism...which made me question what race Mahomes, Russel Wilson, and Deshaun Watson are they seemed to have no problem getting a huge contract, then i realized he has no clue what he is doing on or off the field   

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

There are those who still insist Josh Rosen was the most NFL ready QB but was put in a bad situation. They must be correct. 

I was one of those who wanted Josh Rosen so there's that. I also was happy with the Zach Moss and AJ Epenesa picks.

In 2006 I definitely wanted Ngata over Whitner.

In 2009 I much preferred Robert Ayers over Aaron Maybin and though I was correct, not by a particularly large margin.

The one from the past that stands out as being correct was in 2010 when I wanted the Bills to take Brandon Graham instead of CJ Spiller. I felt that Graham was a fair version of Dwight Freeney. Graham is still playing at a high level even to this day.

The 2012 Draft was memorable because we took T.J. Graham at #69 when two players I really liked, Russell Wilson (#75) and T.Y. Hilton (#92) were available.

Also in 2012 I really liked the Cordy Glenn pick in the 2nd round though the person I really wanted the Bills to draft there was Lavonte David. Bobby Wagner was also available when we picked Cordy. I think Cordy could have had an excellent career but it seems like he got the big contract and lost motivation. He's still only 33 years old.

6 minutes ago, Pirate Angel said:

Just recently read an Article where he claimed the Lamar Jackon situation was racism...which made me question what race Mahomes, Russel Wilson, and Deshaun Watson are they seemed to have no problem getting a huge contract, then i realized he has no clue what he is doing on or off the field   

Dude didn't even like football. He can go paint Rex Ryan's toes for all I care. He's been unlikable in any avenue I've seen him in. 

Gives off major ranch vibes too, but even that's too much credit. Dips his wings in tartar sauce, and huffs the violently fiberous farts. Dork

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, harmonkillebrew said:

This is always one of my favorite topics. I think more than half the time the board consensus would have been better than the GM and personnel experts, despite half the available information. I always think that level of hubris needs to be factored in to BPA and other discussions.

Recent examples:

There are so many examples from earlier that left everyone scratching their head

Time will tell on Hall v. Elam I think.  And lots of people here would freak about picking a RB in the first round. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Recent examples:

TSW eternal ignorance absolutely adores it's non-premium positions in round 1.........but those low hanging fruit choices at RB and C are a big non-difference maker organizationally.   

Boogie Basham was a poor choice IMO but pass rushers and CB1 talents are premium positions that make a difference and cost real money.    That's what the early rounds are for.  You can get centers and RB's that produce on day 3 every year.

• Like (+1) 12

1 hour ago, KzooMike said:

I'm looking for examples from the forum that ended up being either available or very close, the player ended up being good, and the board was on him. The biggest example I can think of is Haloti Ngata. I think 90% of the forum wanted him.  We ended up with Donte Whitner instead. Anybody else stand out to you?

I think just as many posters wanted Broderick Bunkley as Haloti Ngata, including myself.:bag:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I remember a few people here were really high on Aaron Donald before the draft and said he was the best player in the class. Some may have even said he was a generational talent, but my memory is a bit foggy.

I've always wondered who those people were and what made them think that as he wasn't even a top 10 selection. And also what other players they had strong opinions on.

4 hours ago, Pirate Angel said:

Marcel Dareus over JJ watt 

Aaron Maybin over Brian Cushing and Brian Orakpo 

I have no recollection of this board suggesting that we take JJ Watt with the 3rd overall pick in that draft.

Sounds like pure hindsight.

• Agree 5

5 hours ago, Pirate Angel said:

Aaron Maybin over Brian Cushing and Brian Orakpo 

The Maybin and the Manuel pick were the only two where I swore at the tv.  I couldn't believe Orakpo was available although I thought he'd be better than he actually turned out to be.  Still better than the undersized one year wonder from Penn State though who apparently is more passionate in drawing things.

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

TSW eternal ignorance absolutely adores it's non-premium positions in round 1.........but those low hanging fruit choices at RB and C are a big non-difference maker organizationally.   

Boogie Basham was a poor choice IMO but pass rushers and CB1 talents are premium positions that make a difference and cost real money.    That's what the early rounds are for.  You can get centers and RB's that produce on day 3 every year.

not sure what center went after Humphrey that is an all-pro and can also play guard.  Note: we had very weak guard play the last few years.  

• Like (+1) 1

I remember being at the Buffalo Bills draft party in the field house in 2013. We'd just gotten there and cracked open our first Bud light (sans bullet holes thank you Kid Rock...) and I got a text from my friend who insisted we were trading up to draft some quarterback named EJ Manuel.

We all laughed....

• Haha (+1) 3

15 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I was one of those who wanted Josh Rosen so there's that. I also was happy with the Zach Moss and AJ Epenesa picks.

In 2006 I definitely wanted Ngata over Whitner.

In 2009 I much preferred Robert Ayers over Aaron Maybin and though I was correct, not by a particularly large margin.

The one from the past that stands out as being correct was in 2010 when I wanted the Bills to take Brandon Graham instead of CJ Spiller. I felt that Graham was a fair version of Dwight Freeney. Graham is still playing at a high level even to this day.

The 2012 Draft was memorable because we took T.J. Graham at #69 when two players I really liked, Russell Wilson (#75) and T.Y. Hilton (#92) were available.

Also in 2012 I really liked the Cordy Glenn pick in the 2nd round though the person I really wanted the Bills to draft there was Lavonte David. Bobby Wagner was also available when we picked Cordy. I think Cordy could have had an excellent career but it seems like he got the big contract and lost motivation. He's still only 33 years old.

I recall loving Wilson as a prospect, getting excited when the Bills traded up in the 3rd round, and then wondering why we took a track guy with a 7th round grade.

• Like (+1) 2

In 2006 I wanted and thought Ngata would be the pick and didn't like the Whitner selection.

To make that draft even worse, they traded back into the first round #26 and selected John McCargo, who did very little in the NFL, when they could have chosen Nick Mangold, a hall of famer.

I think the last 1st rounder I guessed right was Marshawn Lynch.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Recent examples:

Creed was a massive whif. 

I still believe Elam will have a better career than Hall. His acl injury is  just another reason you don't draft RBs that high. We've seen countless RBs look amazing and fall off- Gurley , Zeke just to name a cpl recently. 

As well as many late rd RBs turn out to be great. 

I think Cook has the potential to be very good

13 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Can't tell you about the board in general...But I can tell you about what I got right...And admittedly I don't get everything right.

1. I stated right here ad nauseam that Pat Mahomes was the #1 overall prospect in the 2017 Draft and was the next big thing. I said it. Meant it. And that was a grand slam HR for me...

2. Chris Jones was the best D-Lineman in the 2016 Draft and I wanted the Bills to Draft him SO much...He was my favorite player from that Draft. They took Shaq.

3. I wanted DK Metcalf at #9 overall in 2019...But when he was still available in the 2nd, and the Bills passed on him, I almost had a coronary. Some folks here were trying to tell me N'Keal Harry was a better prospect...That's still hilarious to me. 

4. George Pickens was "my guy" last year. And I definitely would have taken Tariq Woolen in the 2nd. I was SUPER high on him. I liked Cook, but assumed they could get him in the 3rd...

That's a few... B-)

• Like (+1) 3

Not a big cfb guy. The only selection I really had an opinion on was Joshua Allen. Was praying we'd get him at that time

1 minute ago, KOKBILLS said:

Can't tell you about the board in general...But I can tell you about what I got right...And admittedly I don't get everything right.

1. I stated right here ad nauseam that Pat Mahomes was the #1 overall prospect in the 2017 Draft and was the next big thing. I said it. Meant it. And that was a grand slam HR for me...

2. Chris Jones was the best D-Lineman in the 2016 Draft and I wanted the Bills to Draft him SO much...He was my favorite player from that Draft. They took Shaq.

3. I wanted DK Metcalf at #9 overall in 2019...But when he was still available in the 2nd, and the Bills passed on him, I almost had a coronary. Some folks here were trying to tell me N'Keal Harry was a better prospect...That's still hilarious to me. 

4. George Pickens was "my guy" last year. And I definitely would have taken Tariq Woolen in the 2nd. I was SUPER high on him. I liked Cook, but assumed they could get him in the 3rd...

That's a few... B-)

Who's your guy this year . Respectable track record

15 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I have no recollection of this board suggesting that we take JJ Watt with the 3rd overall pick in that draft.

Sounds like pure hindsight.

You are correct. Newton, Miller and Dareus were the consensus #1, 2 and 3 on EVERY mock draft that year. If Denver didn't take Von before us he would've been a Buffalo Bill, not Dareus and certainly not JJ Watt.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.