Like many here, Jim Kelly says JA can’t do it all. Here’s his solution

BillsFan619

Get a star RB.

I think most here would agree with JK’s statement about needing to take some pressure off of JA. But, there could be different opinions on how to most effectively make that happen.

Many here this off-season have wanted us to get a star RB and many here have wanted us to get a star #2WR (or #1bWR).

While both pieces would be nice, which is a more vital piece in your opinion to taking more pressure off of Josh and getting us a Super Bowl victory?

JK obviously knows offense. Because he played QB, if there’s anyone that knows what will take pressure off of a QB, it’s him. Is he right, is the more vital piece a star RB?

On the other hand, JK played in an offense from a different era where the RB position was a lot more important. Is the more vital piece a star #2WR?

Thoughts?

If you want to hear JK’s thoughts, click on play. Go Bills!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Jim would know. Those offenses from the Super Bowl era were led by Thurman. Jim even mentioned at the time that when Thurman was having a good game (which was most of the time) that it opened everything else up. Jim also played behind a good OL. Allen doesn't.

• Agree 12

Now if only McB could understand this concept. They've had 5+ years to improve the OL and they failed miserably. Andy improves his OL in one off season.  If I identify my qb as a generational superstar,  I'm sure as hell going to surround him immediately with weapons & OL.  Not dick around picking failed D lineman.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

The one player answer is obvious.........get him a star WR2.

Another SB has passed and another team that won without a star RB.........it was a "trend" 18-20 years ago(when teams started going to split carry backfields)..........now it's blatantly obvious that you don't need or even want a star RB taking the ball out of your stud passers hands.

McBeane should really clam up about Allen running too much if they don't intend to get him a better receiving corps............only an idiot thinks that Josh Allen running is a result of the RB's not producing.........he doesn't run on run downs he runs on passing downs...........he runs because the receivers aren't open, are dropping passes or the pass pro broke down.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

The rules of the game have changed. Football as Jim played it is gone to the tide. Now you win by passing the ball and if you're good at it they just can't stop you.

If you want to keep up with the best of the best it is imperative you take full advantage of pass defense and pass rush being made illegal. 

The Bills have Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs—they're close! They don't need to reinvent the wheel.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Jim would know. Those offenses from the Super Bowl era were led by Thurman. Jim even mentioned at the time that when Thurman was having a good game (which was most of the time) that it opened everything else up. Jim also played behind a good OL. Allen doesn't.

The year after Wolford left, Thomas went from being a guy who averaged nearly 5 ypc every season between 1988-1992 to a guy averaging 3.7 in 1993. And his yards per reception, which had always been between 10.2 an 11.6 up to that point, shrank to 8.1. It was the line. Wolford was a HOF quality LT who left after 1992, and in 1993 both Hull and Ritcher missed games too. Thomas went from being elite to a decent player. They made the SB that season not because of the offense but because the defense generated 47 turnovers. To be fair, the Bills' line steamrolled the Chiefs D in the championship game, but that's because the Chiefs' d-line was made up of pass rushers. As people may recall, Derrick Thomas was benched midway through that game.

Anyway, Kelly is a HOF player, but I think the line is a lot more important than the RB (not that RB quality doesn't matter).

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Jimbo as you can see from my avatar is a hero for a lot of us, but that was a different league and different rules.

We need a stud #2 WR.  if we get Hopkins on draft day another TE should be a top priority as we’re surrounding JA17 Super Allen a plethora of weapons like what KC and Cincy have done.

A1st RD RB is a mistake.  They know it as well.

Lastly, better G’s is important to make to the running game work where it’s not Allen.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

It's a different game now. If Josh put up Jim's stats we would be wondering if we should be looking at QB's in the draft. You want to take the ball out of your best players hands? No thanks. Jim should sit this one out 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Fix the OL and add more receiving weapons. This idea that we need a star RB, as if you can just go to the store and get one, in order to win a SB is stupid. I don’t care that it’s Jim Kelly saying it, it’s dumb. 

How can anyone watch our recent playoff failures and conclude that not having a star RB was our downfall

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 6

22 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Get a star RB.

I think most here would agree with JK’s statement about needing to take some pressure off of JA. But, there could be different opinions on how to most effectively make that happen.

Many here this off-season have wanted us to get a star RB and many here have wanted us to get a star #2WR (or #1bWR).

While both pieces would be nice, which is a more vital piece in your opinion to taking more pressure off of Josh and getting us a Super Bowl victory?

JK obviously knows offense. Is he right, is the more vital piece a star RB?

On the other hand, JK played in an offense from a different era where the RB position was a lot more important. Is the more vital piece a star #2WR?

Thoughts?

If you want to hear JK’s thoughts, click on play. Go Bills!

It makes perfect sense for Jim to feel that way.  He wants Josh to have what he had, in Thurman Thomas.

I'm not sure it makes perfect sense for the Bills to go after a star running back at this point. 

They just used a high draft pick (2nd) on a good pass catching RB who gained 5.7 Y/A and converted 25 1D on 89 touches last season, plus another 5 1D and 8.6 Y/R in the passing game.  Kid only saw 269 snaps; if he can handle a larger workload, he could contribute very nicely.

The thing is, Jim and Thurman also had Howard Ballard, Kent Hull, Jim Ritcher, and Will Wolford on OL.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Fix the OL and add more receiving weapons. This idea that we need a star RB, as if you can just go to the store and get one, in order to win a SB is stupid. I don’t care that it’s Jim Kelly saying it, it’s dumb. 

How can anyone watch our recent playoff failures and conclude that not having a star RB was our downfall

Poor OL and a paper tiger defense who only plays well against bad/mediocre teams but gets destroyed against good offenses is the reason why they fail in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

If Josh was playing when Jim was playing the answer would be get him a star running back. Now? Not so much. 

Personally I think it starts up front. Get Josh better protection. He will make receivers better. We have already seen it so far in his career. That isn't to say I don't want an upgrade, I do, and I said it before last season too. But the protection is the bit where I just think give him an extra half second a play and you'd notice a huge difference in the rhythm of the offense. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The year after Wolford left, Thomas went from being a guy who averaged nearly 5 ypc every season between 1988-1992 to a guy averaging 3.7 in 1993. And his yards per reception, which had always been between 10.2 an 11.6 up to that point, shrank to 8.1. It was the line. Wolford was a HOF quality LT who left after 1992, and in 1993 both Hull and Ritcher missed games too. Thomas went from being elite to a decent player. They made the SB that season not because of the offense but because the defense generated 47 turnovers. To be fair, the Bills' line steamrolled the Chiefs D in the championship game, but that's because the Chiefs' d-line was made up of pass rushers. As people may recall, Derrick Thomas was benched midway through that game.

Anyway, Kelly is a HOF player, but I think the line is a lot more important than the RB (not that RB quality doesn't matter).

And unfortunately Jim clearly doesn't want to accept that the structure of the modern game makes it ill-advised to go back to his glory years formula.    Those happened right before the full onset of unrestricted free agency when you could keep players in development forever because there wasn't freedom of movement.  

This was huge for the quality of offensive line play.  It allowed the lines to be better and more cohesive.   One of my favorite examples from that period was OT Ray Brown.   The Redskins kept him around on the bench mostly for 4 years(after 4 years prior as a reserve elsewhere).    Then in year 8 he became a full time starter and started almost every game for the next 11 years!   That kind of development simply could not happen in todays NFL.    Because of things like this there was an entirely different rhythm to the game back then and it was much less complicated.

Free agency fractured the continuity aspect of the game and created openings for the more diverse and complicated game we see today.

It's not necessarily better but everything happens A LOT faster nowadays.   From the personnel side to the on-field play.   Jimbo needs to recognize.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Great. Listen to a QB from the eta where RBs were special in this league. 

thomas

sanders

smith

Watters

craig

payton

dockerson

faulk

martin

bettis

almost every good team had a really good RB. 

while I’m firmly a believer to draft an early round stud at the position I don’t think this is the year. I know, everyone loves Bijan. I just don’t see it. 

I just find it funny that for years nobody wanted an early round RB now all the sudden those people are changing their minds and want one. Right @IronMaidenBills

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And unfortunately Jim clearly doesn't want to accept that the structure of the modern game makes it ill-advised to go back to his glory years formula.    Those happened right before the full onset of unrestricted free agency when you could keep players in development forever because there wasn't freedom of movement.  

This was huge for the quality of offensive line play.  It allowed the lines to be better and more cohesive.   One of my favorite examples from that period was OT Ray Brown.   The Redskins kept him around on the bench mostly for 4 years(after 4 years prior as a reserve elsewhere).    Then in year 8 he became a full time starter and started almost every game for the next 11 years!   That kind of development simply could not happen in todays NFL.    Because of things like this there was an entirely different rhythm to the game back then and it was much less complicated.

Free agency fractured the continuity aspect of the game and created openings for the more diverse and complicated game we see today.

It's not necessarily better but everything happens A LOT faster nowadays.   From the personnel side to the on-field play.   Jimbo needs to recognize.

The new free agency structure appeared in early 1993 as I recall, and the first thing that new structure did was kick the Bills organization in the face and then follow that up with a curb-stomping. I'm talking about the Will Wolford contract shenanigans. That was ridiculous.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The one player answer is obvious.........get him a star WR2.

Another SB has passed and another team that won without a star RB.........it was a "trend" 18-20 years ago(when teams started going to split carry backfields)..........now it's blatantly obvious that you don't need or even want a star RB taking the ball out of your stud passers hands.

McBeane should really clam up about Allen running too much if they don't intend to get him a better receiving corps............only an idiot thinks that Josh Allen running is a result of the RB's not producing.........he doesn't run on run downs he runs on passing downs...........he runs because the receivers aren't open, are dropping passes or the pass pro broke down.

He runs power sweeps. He runs on short yardage downs. I've been saying for YEARS that the Bills need a "threat" at RB. I've stomped on this forum for Jonathan Taylor, Breece Hall. I feel that the Bills reached for Cook last draft. It's going to be impossible for them to get Bijan Robinson, but if there's a chance they better strike. 

• Agree 1

I’m not really sure how any of us can think a middle linebacker in the first round moves the needle for this team to get to the super bowl. We need weapons. Weapons that are signed beyond next season. It would totally suck if we took a defensive player that doesn’t scare anyone and teams like the chiefs or bengals sit there and take offensive players that abuse our shiny new defensive player for years to come. Rinse and repeat with some of you. Time to wake up and realize this is the new age nfl. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

If it were the 90's Jim would be right. Unfortunately, that ship has sailed.

Plus Cook is a pretty damn good back for the needs of this offense. Far underrated by fans (and Kelly apparently). And Harris can be that Rb2 we need for tough yeards.

Please no on drafting an early RB or trading for one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

Great. Listen to a QB from the eta where RBs were special in this league. 

thomas

sanders

smith

Watters

craig

payton

dockerson

faulk

martin

bettis

almost every good team had a really good RB. 

while I’m firmly a believer to draft an early round stud at the position I don’t think this is the year. I know, everyone loves Bijan. I just don’t see it. 

I just find it funny that for years nobody wanted an early round RB now all the sudden those people are changing their minds and want one. Right @IronMaidenBills

Heyyyy!!! I've wanted the Bills to draft a RB in the 1st round since the playoff loss to the Texans. We used one to acquire Diggs. I've pounded the table for Taylor/Hall, but the "value" wasn't there🤷

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

Heyyyy!!! I've wanted the Bills to draft a RB in the 1st round since the playoff loss to the Texans. We used one to acquire Diggs. I've pounded the table for Taylor/Hall, but the "value" wasn't there🤷

Ettiene and Hall would have been amazing for this team. 

count me in the side that believes Cook can be an every down back though. And since I don’t think anyone is worthy of a first round pick this year, the addition of Harris and resigning of Hymes, I don’t believe it’s worth it to take an early round pick on a RB this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

Jim had a hall of fame offensive line to open up holes for the running game & a coach who had the intent to run. Its not as simple as just getting a rb.

You gotta be able to block for them & actually commit to running the ball once & awhile.

Thank you, it’s like Jim forgets that aside from having Thurman in the backfield, they were also operating behind probably the best OL in Buffalo Bills history in the early 90’s.  It’s not a coincidence that once the O-line started to fall apart that the Bills went through a 20-year QB carousel.  

The franchise luckily struck gold in landing Allen, but it doesn’t make sense to try to land a “star” RB given the team already drafted Cook last year, traded for Hines and signed Harris.  PLUS, the league has evolved to be more passing focused, so the team would be better served to further shore up the O-line and receiving corps (WRs or TEs).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally I think it starts up front.

Burrow was able to get his team to the SB and AFCCG with a Swiss cheese offensive line. Mahomes before that. Folks try to downplay the impact of Pacheco/McKinnon in the SB wins for the Chiefs. A threat at RB would've slowed down the blitzing by Bengals in the playoff game. Slows down the pass rush. Cook was never a full time RB at Georgia for a reason. I'm glad Beane acquired Harris in FA. He's gonna help the offense tremendously providing he stays healthy

3 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

It’s not a coincidence that once the O-line started to fall apart that the Bills went through a 20-year QB carousel.  

The choices at QB had NOTHING to do with this🙄

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Burrow was able to get his team to the SB and AFCCG with a Swiss cheese offensive line. Mahomes before that. Folks try to downplay the impact of Pacheco/McKinnon in the SB wins for the Chiefs. A threat at RB would've slowed down the blitzing by Bengals in the playoff game. Slows down the pass rush. Cook was never a full time RB at Georgia for a reason. I'm glad Beane acquired Harris in FA. He's gonna help the offense tremendously providing he stays healthy

Burrow is a better processor. He is the best of the three of them at reading a defense in a split second. And even then I think him getting there with the line he had in 2021 was a bit of an anomaly tbh. I don't think a running back is more important than protection. Certainly not for this team and not for this QB. 

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If Josh was playing when Jim was playing the answer would be get him a star running back. Now? Not so much. 

Personally I think it starts up front. Get Josh better protection. He will make receivers better. We have already seen it so far in his career. That isn't to say I don't want an upgrade, I do, and I said it before last season too. But the protection is the bit where I just think give him an extra half second a play and you'd notice a huge difference in the rhythm of the offense. 

This. JK's OL was head and shoulders over what we have now.  No denying that Thurman was a stud, but left to right, JK's OL was clearly superior. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.