Question for OC Dorsey

JMM

Are you familiar with the following concepts: RB screen, TE screen, bubble screen, draw, delayed draw, quick slant, quick out, go and stop, etc.  I'm no OC, but it seems to me that there are experts in the NFL that believe these are effective concepts against cover zero. Thanks for your attention.  Now...back to calling your seven step drop duo go routes.....

• Like (+1) 12
  • Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 27
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 6
  • Dislike 2

Just now, JMM said:

Are you familiar with the following concepts: RB screen, TE screen, bubble screen, draw, delayed draw, quick slant, quick out, go and stop, etc.  I'm no OC, but it seems to me that there are experts in the NFL that believe these are effective concepts against cover zero. Thanks for your attention.  Now...back to calling your seven step drop duo go routes.....

I don’t think the Bills have run a non qb draw this year. They just run zone read left…zone read right. 

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I don’t think the Bills have run a non qb draw this year. They just run zone read left…zone read right. 

Cook literally scored a long TD within the last few weeks on a draw. Do people even watch games anymore or do they just randomly comment with having no knowledge?

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I do not think Dorsey called a good game at all really. But we have 34 points. Two touchdowns from short fields where you give the D an assist but you can't knock the results. It wasn't pretty but it got the job done.

I can’t believe we saw no crossers. Idk if they didn’t expect so much cover zero but Josh and Diggs have murdered cover zero with that crossing right and I’m not sure we ever ran that. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

We have to get back to josh running the ball  to have any chance against Bengals or Chiefs.  

Anyone know why that didn’t work today?  Were they spying him?  Just seemed like Josh had nowhere to go.

Dorsey has a lot of faults. But Josh is not blameless in this either. Some questionable decisions. The interception down deep. The handoff to Cook that was supposed to be a run. He’s been making mistakes all season that we haven’t really seen for a few years. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, VaMilBill said:

Dorsey has a lot of faults. But Josh is not blameless in this either. Some questionable decisions. The interception down deep. The handoff to Cook that was supposed to be a run. He’s been making mistakes all season that we haven’t really seen for a few years. 

Unfortunately this is very true.  We can point the finger at Dorsey all we want, but at the end of the day Josh has made some very costly mistakes.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

He went a bit Dabollish a couple times but I thought he called a good game for most of the day

The plays may have been fine but it’s a tempo/feel thing.  Bills were up 17 nothing and ripped off two great long runs and he dials up a bomb that gets picked.  Maybe it was Josh audibling and Smoke shouldn’t have stopped but it was the worst thing to call at that moment of the game and it seemed to completely change the rhythm of it all.  It’s a game flow thing that gets me with Dorsey - he needs to be Josh’s governor but instead, it’s like he’s up in the booth eating pop rocks and chugging 4 Loco.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 9
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I can’t believe we saw no crossers.

That was bothering me too.

I do think the depth the Phish secondary was setting up in ahd something to do with that.

They were still available with some minor tweaking though.

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The plays may have been fine but it’s a tempo/feel thing.  Bills were up 17 nothing and ripped off two great long runs and he dials up a bomb that gets picked.  Maybe it was Josh audibling and Smoke shouldn’t have stopped but it was the worst thing to call at that moment of the game and it seemed to completely change the rhythm of it all.  It’s a game flow thing that gets me with Dorsey - he needs to be Josh’s governor but instead, it’s like he’s up in the booth eating pop rocks and chugging 4 Loco.

This is a great post.

I hated the fact that the turnover came on first down but at that point in the game they were having really good success finding openings in the secondary on 1st downs and I get what he was trying to do on that particular down. I wonder what Josh passed up to chuck that prayer instead; I'd bet that one of his first two options was available and he couldn't help himself

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Simon said:

I wonder what Josh passed up to chuck that prayer instead; I'd bet that one of his first two options was available and he couldn't help himself

That looked identical to the one Brown caught last week against NE.  A better throw and it could have been a TD

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Beast said:

If Shakir was able to hang onto a ball and Josh was a little more accurate on those deep balls the Bills would have hung a 50 burger on the Fish.

Well yea, but that’s the point isn’t it? Those are tough, low percentage throws.  Easier, higher percentage plays are good too. And better is many circumstances.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, JMM said:

Dear JMM,

You should have stopped at “I’m no OC”

Sincerely, 

Ken OC Dorsey

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, peterpan said:

Well yea, but that’s the point isn’t it? Those are tough, low percentage throws.  Easier, higher percentage plays are good too. And better is many circumstances.

The amount of points on a scoreboard at the end of a game will always matter the most. The Bills should have had 50 today.

I guess bad things never happen in the short passing game…like that throw to Beasley that went for a pick, right?

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The back to back deep shots once we started getting momentum in the third was PAINFUL from a rhythm standpoint. I get that the play was there to be made. Just felt like a low percentage call when we needed to generate a longer drive.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

The amount of points on a scoreboard at the end of a game will always matter the most. The Bills should have had 50 today.

I guess bad things never happen in the short passing game…like that throw to Beasley that went for a pick, right?

But again, “should”.  Maybe if we had more than one WR of the team the 7 step drop hail Mary’s would produce better 

21 minutes ago, JMM said:

What’s puzzling to me is that the Bills have Joe Brady and Mike Shula on staff. Both are  tenured NFL offensive coaches with years of experience who should be available for counseling and mentoring the first year OC. Can they not help Dorsey to have more imagination with play design and implementation?

In a previous posting I asked the question ‘is Dorsey a frustrated ex-QB who’s living vicariously through Allen and just wants to throw bombs all day?”

in 2022, Josh has frequently regressed back to ‘the hero ball’ novice he was 3 or 4 years ago.  He’s become impatient, careless with the ball, improvising too much, and his inconsistent accuracy has receivers often reaching high or scooping from the turf to make catches. 

The Bills are winning, but they’re living dangerously. Unless they eliminate sloppy play and start playIng like a Championship team, we may have just seen our last Bills victory of the 2022 season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, JMM said:

How about a trick play?!

Not that it’s a trick play… but I’d like to see them run an actual option . Why not

I just want to see the slightest bit of creativity!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.