We're onto Miami(Miami's headed to Buffalo)...opening line BUF -10! Game at 1:05 PM SUN 1/15

Big Turk

I'd be shocked if Tua doesn't play, even though it seems to me that the line has to be reflecting people thinking that is not the case.. either way, if he plays, the Miami Dolphins (and by extension the NFL), better hope nothing happens to him.  

After what our guys just went through, it would be just grotesque to see him go down again like we've seen multiple times this year. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'd be shocked if Tua doesn't play, even though it seems to me that the line has to be reflecting people thinking that is not the case.. either way, if he plays, the Miami Dolphins (and by extension the NFL), better hope nothing happens to him.  

After what our guys just went through, it would be just grotesque to see him go down again like we've seen multiple times this year. 

the league would be really dumb to let him take the field again this year. If he gets another head injury….”player safety” is out the window and the national media will focus on the violence of football

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

I just assumed there was zero chance Tua would play, regardless of where he remained in the protocol, simply because of the potential fall out another concussion would have...If he has a full offseason, and gets concussed again next year, at least they can say they were overly cautious...

I just think it's a massive risk for the kid...But if he plays he plays. The Bills better just assume it, and then adjust if he's officially out...B-)

• Agree 3

54 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Do you run the scheme that doesn't work but your players can handle, or run the scheme that does work and coach the damn players to run it? These guys are paid a lot as coaches. Go and coach.

Sorry what about our cover 2 shell doesnt work?  we held them to 171 and 217 yards in the two games so far.  Thats 2 of their 5 lowest outputs for the season.  Including only Tua starts thats 2 of his 3 lowest outputs.  I think youre referencing what the Chargers did to Tua, which at 127 was obviously great, but everyone else that has tried to replicate that has not been as good as we have done.  If we dont disguise cover 2 or mix up coverages some then yeah i worry we would get carved up.  But frazier has shown he can contain tua.  188 rushing yards (most of the year) scares me and run fits from cover 2 are harder, but you seemed to imply that cover 2 couldnt stop their pasisng attack.  

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Casey D said:

That is not what was reported, but OK.

They said all week the bills were fired up to play?  I don’t remember hearing that but I could be wrong.  

14 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I just assumed there was zero chance Tua would play, regardless of where he remained in the protocol, simply because of the potential fall out another concussion would have...If he has a full offseason, and gets concussed again next year, at least they can say they were overly cautious...

I just think it's a massive risk for the kid...But if he plays he plays. The Bills better just assume it, and then adjust if he's officially out...B-)

I think it’ll be bridgewater trying to read through the lines of what McDaniel has been saying.  Sounds like he was just about ready yesterday 

2 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I agree.  Ever since the bye week, it feels like this team has been coasting and (mostly) getting by on just having better raw talent than the other guys.  They learned last year that they can flip the switch when they need to, and I think we're going to see that switch get flipped next weekend.  Our injury-riddled and heat-stroked roster completely outplayed the Dolphins back in week 3 despite losing a close one.  With the tables turned and the stakes much higher, I expect a pounding.

Another cause for calm is that if the upset occurs and we lose to a Tua-less Miami team, there won't be any need to worry about "what if" since we were never getting past the Bengals and Chiefs in that case.  

I dont disbelieve this, as its been 2 years in a row (hopefully three). I do get very nervous about it though, as I cant really think of a logical reason for this to be true.

Sincere question:

anyone have any solid reason this is true? Or a logical explanation of how/why this would even be possible?

I dont get it, and would like to somewhat ease my anxiety about the next month.  Like why would we coast? Or if we can just simply throw that switch that easy, whats stopping us from doing it?

Only logical one i can come up with is Josh's OSHA approved safety vest can come off by the staff. Allowed to run people over and take more calculated risk with running/designed runs in general. 

What else?

Sincerely,

Fan who should know better by now, but is still anxiety written

50 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Have heard reports that Tua said he wants to play - if that's true I can't believe he wouldn't just tell the doctors what they need to hear to clear him

Almost every NFL player  will always say he wants to play, especially in the playoffs.  Yes he can say what he thinks they want to hear BUT ALL eyes are on Tua and Miami and whatever doctor clears him.  I put the odds of Tua playine as very very low.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I dont disbelieve this, as its been 2 years in a row (hopefully three). I do get very nervous about it though, as I cant really think of a logical reason for this to be true.

Sincere question:

anyone have any solid reason this is true? Or a logical explanation of how/why this would even be possible?

I dont get it, and would like to somewhat ease my anxiety about the next month.  Like why would we coast? Or if we can just simply throw that switch that easy, whats stopping us from doing it?

Only logical one i can come up with is Josh's OSHA approved safety vest can come off by the staff. Allowed to run people over and take more calculated risk with running/designed runs in general. 

What else?

Sincerely,

It's just hard to carry that level of intensity and focus through a long 17 game season week in and week out and be at your best.  KC deals with that a lot as well...they play a lot of close games against inferior opponents...the games are close but most of the time you still think the other team would have to do something extraordinary to win tho.  I imagine that is how most of the Bills games feel for opposing fans.  They might be close, or tied, or even ahead, but you know it's only a matter of time and you are trying to hold off a 50 foot wave that is incoming.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Almost every NFL player  will always say he wants to play, especially in the playoffs.  Yes he can say what he thinks they want to hear BUT ALL eyes are on Tua and Miami and whatever doctor clears him.  I put the odds of Tua playine as very very low.

right. If those Doctors clear him and he has a head injury….their careers are in jeopardy

Mosert has a broken thumb. His status is up in the air but I can't imagine a RB playing with a broken finger.

Maybe I'm wrong. I finished a baseball game as a catcher where I fractured my thumb in the 4th inning.  Then was put in a cast and was out for the year.

These guys are much tougher than me but as a RB I can't imagine him playing RB with a broken thumb. Turnover risk is too high. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, gjv said:

I like that we are playing the Dolphins. Another opportunity to even the overall record with Miami. Currently, the record is in Miami's favor; 61–52–1. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We won't be even til we sweep them 10 years in a row.  I remember the pain.

Just now, Johnnycage46 said:

His back will be all healed up for limited practice on Wednesday and Thursday, full on Friday and play on Saturday.  Magically of course.

Anybody thinking Tua isn't going to start for the Fish on Sunday is fooling himself.  And I say bring it on.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jletha said:

No football activity on a Monday this many days into the protocol means he is in rough shape.  If he was going to play this weekend they would have put him in the non-contact jersey by now.  

It doesn't matter who they play at QB. Bills are going to destroy Miami.  

3 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Mosert has a broken thumb. His status is up in the air but I can't imagine a RB playing with a broken finger.

Maybe I'm wrong. I finished a baseball game as a catcher where I fractured my thumb in the 4th inning.  Then was put in a cast and was out for the year.

These guys are much tougher than me but as a RB I can't imagine him playing RB with a broken thumb. Turnover risk is too high. 

Go ahead and play him with a broken thumb. Then force two fumbles.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Sincere question:

What else?

Sincerely,

Talking about "flipping a switch" is just nonsense that sports fans invent and then discuss.

It's not a part of reality, just like "trap games", "momentum", and tons of other commonly discussed sports topics.

These guys are pros; when the game starts they go out and try to play their best. Some games go better than others.

No one is coasting; no one is "saving the good plays for the playoffs," and no one is pressing harder on the accelerator in a playoff game.

We just have to hope that it all comes together in the right way for a few games, and we'll be back to the SB.

Luck is a real thing, as are injuries.  Let's hope both of those are on our side.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

My point is that as part of the protocol when they ask him if he is feeling any symptoms he could lie and say no.  If a player says he is having no symptoms and goes through all the steps of the protocol dont see how they prevent him from playing

Edited by stevewin

17 minutes ago, jletha said:

13 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No football activity on a Monday this many days into the protocol means he is in rough shape.  If he was going to play this weekend they would have put him in the non-contact jersey by now.  

It doesn't matter who they play at QB. Bills are going to destroy Miami.  

Go ahead and play him with a broken thumb. Then force two fumbles.

I will say they probably weren't practicing today anyway but it's not a great sign though maybe they're just trying to look like they're taking it seriously. Either way though coming back after being out for multiple weeks isn't easy either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think the bills will beat them either way.  Having said that - i think Tua will be forced to sit.  The league and NFLPA are probably pressuring Miami to force their hand.  I think they'll make formal changes to concussion policy in the off-season but for now, mcdaniel's press conferences seem to me like him/tua don't really have a say in this no matter what.   

Screwed up finger on throwing hand.  He has small hands, and its a cold weather game... my guess is he's inactive.

You know what they say about guys with small hands... especially when its cold.......

38 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Sincere question:

What else?

Sincerely,

Anxiety written? 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Talking about "flipping a switch" is just nonsense that sports fans invent and then discuss.

It's not a part of reality, just like "trap games", "momentum", and tons of other commonly discussed sports topics.

These guys are pros; when the game starts they go out and try to play their best. Some games go better than others.

No one is coasting; no one is "saving the good plays for the playoffs," and no one is pressing harder on the accelerator in a playoff game.

We just have to hope that it all comes together in the right way for a few games, and we'll be back to the SB.

Luck is a real thing, as are injuries.  Let's hope both of those are on our side.

Momentum is real -- it is simply a spike in morale caused by belief.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In his career Josh Allen against Miami(9.5 games):

3,238 yards(2,684 pass/554 rush)

27 TDs + 4 TDs rushing

5 INTs

QB Rating 106.1

Effectively on a per game basis:

341 yards(pass/rush)

3.26 TDs(pass/rush)

0.52 INTs

Dolphins worst nightmare 

image.png.79afbd23e81e83db3e1af2547829791b.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BRH said:

The league is not interested in anything that would elevate the chances of another Hamlin-type incident so soon after what just happened... ESPECIALLY if it can't be explained away as a freak 1-in-a-million accident. They all saw what happened to him on that Thursday night in Cincinnati.  If Tua goes out there Sunday and has another fencing episode, or worse.... this might be hyperbole, but the NFL just might be over for the year.  At best they're going to face all kinds of lawsuits and be dragged through a terrible PR wringer.

Tua's not playing Sunday.  And that's not his fault.  That's McNerd's fault, and he should be fired for it.

Without the DH incident, this should have already been the correct guess by you.... but i was still a bit skeptical. The backlash from that Cinci fencing has died down, maybe they could spin it....

I hadnt even taken into consideration the effect of the DH accident, as far as tua playing Sunday.

The more I think about it, 100% no way Tua plays. Its big enough to take down Roger, lead to the biggest lawsuits imagineable, maybe even flirt with taking down the league as a whole. Even for the NFL, its too much risk, no way they can put him out there!!!

• Like (+1) 3

To those saying that the league will somehow step in and not let Tua play...

I'm not really sure what mechanism they would have to be able to do that.

If doctors clear Tua from concussion protocol, I don't see how there's anything the league can do about it.

They as a league can not WANT him to play, sure, but I don't see them having much choice.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

To those saying that the league will somehow step in and not let Tua play...

I'm not really sure what mechanism they would have to be able to do that.

If doctors clear Tua from concussion protocol, I don't see how there's anything the league can do about it.

They as a league can not WANT him to play, sure, but I don't see them having much choice.

It won't be the league, it would have to come from social pressure.  If there is no real talk from sports writers, talking heads and tons of twitter talk then that could pave the path for him seeing the field (provided he passes the medical tests).   If there is lots of talk about it, then I don't see how they start him.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, eball said:

Anybody thinking Tua isn't going to start for the Fish on Sunday is fooling himself.  And I say bring it on.

Most  people who think Tua is starting haven't thought it out much. 

Of course it's a huge risk for Tua, but the real reason is the incredible risk it would be to the league.  If Tua gets Mike Whitishly pulverized and goes unconcious from it, or even has to leave the game, the whole wild card weekend of playoffs is overshadowed.  The league can not have another D Hamlin type event during wild card weekend.

Miami will get a discreet phone call and publicly announce how they are going to be cautious.  The alternative of risking tens/hundreds of millions to the league in terms of goodwill won't be allowed.  Miami has already been exposed for working outside the rules, the league shouldn't let them risk it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, appoo said:

I always assumed it was what Girardi said. Trauma is the worst stuff on earth. Steps recovering from it can inspire swings upward, but ultimately trauma is incredibly draining of spirit and body. The Bills pulling that win out anf getting STRONGER in the 3rd and 4th is among their very best performances of the season, and likely multiple seasons. 

As a side note, I fear the PTSD impacts on players. Tre was showing classic PTSD symptoms, I hope he'd getting the help he needs and deserves. I would hope any of these players look beyond the game, and take care of their soul and spirit first. 

You watched a brother die in front of you. Don't minimize that 

Are you talking about directly after? Or something else since then i missed? Also, out of curiosity, what exactly was the symptom you're referring to? I saw him crying, but seems like everyone was as well? Just curious

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Have heard reports that Tua said he wants to play - if that's true I can't believe he wouldn't just tell the doctors what they need to hear to clear him

Concussion protocal isnt something you can fake your way through.  Aside from teams fudging things, the only way to beat it is to throw off your baseline test before the season starts.  Theres some type of vitals test involved you cant talk your way around

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.