Annual “Black Monday” - (Insert NFL Coach’s Name) has been released - Thread

BuffaloBill

8 hours ago, Draconator said:

I can see Mark Davis backing up Carr and getting rid of McDaniels. Davis is weird.

Rumor has it that Davis is not a big fan of Carr. Though, like you say, it is the Raiders, so you never know.  There was also a story earlier in the season that McDaniel's was likely safe, simply because Davis is broke, and can't afford to pay another coach, not to coach.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Won't happen. Totally different defensive philosophy from McDermott. 

My guess would be Washington would be promoted if Frazier did get a HC job. IF they were to go outside, I Wouldn't mind a Swartz return if possible though. What about someone like Gus Bradley?

8 hours ago, Buftex said:

Rumor has it that Davis is not a big fan of Carr. Though, like you say, it is the Raiders, so you never know.  There was also a story earlier in the season that McDaniel's was likely safe, simply because Davis is broke, and can't afford to pay another coach, not to coach.

After seeing Irsay hire a former player as a coach, Davis is now bringing Janikowski back as his coach, Jamarcus Russell as his OC, and the ghost of John Madden as his GM

23 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

If the Titans miss the playoffs, I could see Vrabel being fired. That was a pretty bad collapse and they already fired their GM

Yeah it is unusual that a GM gets hired and then doesn’t get to pick the coach.  Beane and McDermott show it is not unprecedented. It is, however, not the norm. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/6/2023 at 12:13 AM, cle23 said:

Billionaires are all about efficiency.  Show me a haircut more time efficient than that!

Davis is an exception, his family business & wealth all come from football [Thanks to Ralph for keeping Al Davis afloat back in the 60's],  He's usually ranked as the least wealthy owner [excluding the Packers].

On 1/5/2023 at 2:58 PM, mushypeaches said:

Kliff Kingsbury

Should be, I do wonder if he somehow parlays Murray's injury as an excuse for another year though.

On 1/6/2023 at 8:13 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

If the Titans miss the playoffs, I could see Vrabel being fired. That was a pretty bad collapse and they already fired their GM

Add that to the plan of game manager QB+King Henry has not gotten the job done for a few years in a row now, seat has to be getting a little warm at least.

McVay reportedly ‘considering his future’ at Rams ..

Makes a bit of sense … coming off terrible year, Limited draft picks and cap space and an aging QB with injury worries…Doesn’t sound overly attractive destination for coaching “big  names”..

Possible  opportunity for our man Leslie? 

30 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Nice work Denver, 😂

Dov Kleiman is wrong.  Payton is allowed to talk with other teams with NO's permission.  He is not allowed to talk IN PERSON with any team until 1/17.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

5 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Dov Kleiman is wrong.  Peyton is allowed to talk with other teams with NO's permission.  He is not allowed to talk IN PERSON with any team until 1/17.  

So he's allowed to interview via phone and zoom, he just can't interview in person?  Seems kind of odd.

1 minute ago, 17islongenough said:

Who would take this job? 2 coaches fired after one year.  

And he gave them the middle finger on the way out by going for two late in the 4th to win instead of tie and go to OT, costing them the #1 pick.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Just now, Big Turk said:

And he gave them the middle finger on the way out by going for two late in the 4th to win instead of tie and go to OT, costing them the #1 pick.

They could have still won the game in OT..

Dont see a lot of point playing for OT though regardless of the draft pick thing..  

4 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

Who would take this job? 2 coaches fired after one year.  

Lovie Smith was just a one year placeholder. His job was to right the locker room, endure this horrific season and then step aside. He is being paid very well for it. By all accounts he’s very well respected in NFL circles and is considered to be an outstanding human being so I’m happy to see him go out with a W. 

With all due respect Lovie did an amazing job and they where practically in every game. Despite the obvious talent deficiencies. Why anyone would go there with how dysfunctional that front office and ownership is…is beyond me. 
If they have a coaching list where the coach has options I doubt they touch this job. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Lovie Smith was just a one year placeholder. His job was to right the locker room, endure this horrific season and then step aside. He is being paid very well for it. By all accounts he’s very well respected in NFL circles and is considered to be an outstanding human being so I’m happy to see him go out with a W. 

They did that last season with Culley.  It’s not good business practice regardless of the money they pay him.  An established coach with options  probably isn’t taking that job.  A hot, assistant coach with a budding reputation might choose to wait another year rather than take that job.

51 minutes ago, boyst said:

If we lose Frazier I'd take smith. 

If we lose our DC and can finally move on from the Tampa-2, you'd want to replace him with the only other dinosaur that still runs a Tampa-2?

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, 947 said:

If we lose our DC and can finally move on from the Tampa-2, you'd want to replace him with the only other dinosaur that still runs a Tampa-2?

McDermott hired a DC who believes in the same defensive principles he believes in.   As most head coaches with a defensive background do.   At some point you will have to accept it.  If you want a different defense then you want a different head coach. 

But McDermott became a head coach because his defenses were successful.  The Bills defense has had a lot success.  And like every other defense they get their azz whupped sometimes.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, 947 said:

yes. if we keep poyer specifically. if we keep edmunds, it'd be great.

i was watching the patriot defense yesterday and thought how great edmunds would be in that defense.

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

That was a crippling move, so bad for the team to lose the #1.  You have to truly hate the organization to be that selfish. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.