Kyler Murray - Torn ACL Confirmed

Draconator

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

It looks like a lot of the QB's that got "big" contracts recently, are are not exactly living up to them so far;  Stafford, Murray, Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Watson. I believe Lamar will be next. I am wondering what effect this will have on QB salaries, if any.

Stafford won a SB, Rodgers has lost a step and weapons, Watson, well too soon. Wilson, yikes who saw that coming? 

Lamar will get franchi$ed, maybe twice before moving on (like Cousins). Just another way of cashing big.

Hate to see injuries.  They can happen to anybody at anytime. 

That said, if I'm the Cardinals owner, I might consider doing my very best to blow the whole thing up and start from scratch.  Fire coach and GM, see about trading Murray (even if it means including picks/players based on his cap hit).  Honestly, the Murray deal was stupid to begin with.  It's almost as if fate intervened, giving ownership a difficult and uncomfortable way out of this mess.  The short term pain of blowing everything up would be considerable, but keeping Murray, Kingsburry etc. is a losing scenario over the long term.  Better to recognize the error now, deal with it at the expense of 2 bad seasons and emerge down as a potentially stronger team. 

Edited by saundena
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I am not sure the Cardinals are a bigger train wreck with or without Murray.  They should be able to find a decent fill in this offseason and figure it out from there.  It might be an opportunity to get some actual leadership at that position and an offensive design that can actually be executed.  Then again, Kliff Kingsbury is an idiot, so there is that.

Kingsbury talking about Kyler:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/13/kliff-kingsbury-confirms-kyler-murray-tore-his-acl-he-will-be-highly-motivated-for-the-offseason/

“Both of us heard enough this year to be highly motivated for the offseason,” Kingsbury said. “I know he will be, too. Those surgeries have been proven recently that guys are coming back and faster and stronger, and I know he’s excited about that process.”

Kyler Murray right now as I type:

"Squad Up!!!"

kyler-murray-twitch-nfl-pro-bowl.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

I am not a fan of Murray as a QB, nor do I think he was worth the money he got even though I get why AZ had to do it.  But I never like to see someone get hurt like this, so for that I feel bad for him.  

But, doesn't change my stance that I think he is mentally weak and afraid of contact when he plays on the field.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

230 million dollar contract 165 mil guaranteed 

This right here is proof that the cardinals owner, GM, and HC heads are buried up their respective backsides, kyler Murray is not and never has been or will ever be a franchise QB, he is currently the most expensive bridge QB in the league. 

I hope Murray has a speedy recovery, don’t wish injury on anyone (I have yelled “rip his head off!” occasionally, but that was directed at Brady). What happens to that franchise? Murray will be out most on next year and has a big long term contract. Kingsbury is signed through 2027. Do they eat his contract? What a mess.

3 hours ago, H2o said:

He didn't lose his opportunity. His marriage to the Cardinals will last until at least 2026 because of that contract they handed him. 

I should clarify.  He has lost his opportunity to PLAY from now until he is recovered from the ACL injury and back on the field.  He certainly did not lose his opportunity to GET PAID.

Even pre-injury, the contract the Cardinals game him was terrible, but they had backed themselves into a corner when they drafted him #1 and made him the leader and focal point of their team.  You can't NOT pay your franchise QB and expect to have fans in the seats, but it was obvious to many (including me and many of our comrades on this board) that the return on this investment by the Cardinals was not going to be a good one.  The team went all-in on Murray, Kingsbury and Kiem and will regret it for years to come.  The Cardinals are an organization like the Bills used to be.  Would it be diplomatic to use the term "clown show?"  I can't state enough how happy I am that the Bills have competent management in place.

Edited by msw2112

34 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I hope Murray has a speedy recovery, don’t wish injury on anyone (I have yelled “rip his head off!” occasionally, but that was directed at Brady). What happens to that franchise? Murray will be out most on next year and has a big long term contract. Kingsbury is signed through 2027. Do they eat his contract? What a mess.

He'll likely be back in October. They'll roll with McCoy who's very popular. Cardinals need to focus on their OL and allow the skill positions to settle into place (just like another team I know). 

5 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I am not a Murray fan.  I more or less despise him.  That said, I wish him a speedy recovery.  If he worked his way out of the NFL with poor play or a bad attitude, I would be fine with that, but I hate to see a guy lose his opportunity due to an injury and an injury that occurred while he wasn't doing anything that would be remotely considered risky or stupid.

Man, what did he do to you to make you despise him? I can't think of anyone I despise.

6 hours ago, Utah John said:

With the injury so late in the season, it's likely that Murray won't return until just before the 2023 playoffs.  Which the Cardinals without him won't get to anyway.  It'll be 2024 before he can play a full season.  What a shame for him, the team, and the city.

His lack of availability may lead them to bail on the 2023 season, shed some veteran salaries, and undertake a limited rebuild.  I think they will need a better bridge QB than McCoy.  There will be some QB's looking for a home next season, so AZ should have some options.  Overall, it's a bad time to be a Cards fan.  Things at a franchise can flip from promising to a dumpster fire at the blink of an eye.  We all need to enjoy the Bills and their success because it can disappear quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

This should be a cautionary tale for Josh Allen. At 250 lbs, is knees are going to take a helluva lot more pounding than pip-squeak Kyler Murray.

Every runner and NFL player can injure a knee on every play. Having torn all 3 of the major knee ligaments at once , the Brady “terrible triad” injury , I can tell you that no player is immune from it but the biggest protection from it is the muscle groupings in your legs and mid section. So your assertion that a player like Allen is as susceptible as Murray are wrong. Smaller guys like Murray and Lamar have much more probability of tearing them then guys with tree trunk bodies like Josh or Herbert. Much more stabilization in all of the muscle groups surrounding the joint and waist. 

Edited by Locomark

• 4 weeks later...

Injured December 12, diagnosed with ACL tear on December 13th .. surgery on January 4.  What is the likelihood that the best QBs in the league, Mahomes, Burrow, JA17 wait 3+ weeks to get this surgery? I am thinking 0.0%.

He just does not seem to be focused on being the best he can be and doesn't seem to care to much for what is best for the team.  Maybe there was some extenuating circumstances .. just doesn't smell right.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/cardinals-kyler-murray-undergoes-successful-surgery-reportedly-needed-acl-reconstruction-and-meniscus-repair/ar-AA15YSFa

2 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Injured December 12, diagnosed with ACL tear on December 13th .. surgery on January 4.  What is the likelihood that the best QBs in the league, Mahomes, Burrow, JA17 wait 3+ weeks to get this surgery? I am thinking 0.0%.

He just does not seem to be focused on being the best he can be and doesn't seem to care to much for what is best for the team.  Maybe there was some extenuating circumstances .. just doesn't smell right.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/cardinals-kyler-murray-undergoes-successful-surgery-reportedly-needed-acl-reconstruction-and-meniscus-repair/ar-AA15YSFa

I believe that Edelman waited around the same amount of time to get his done. I believe it depends on the amount of swelling. Either way, I don't believe Murray really cares about football. He just wanted his big $$$ contract and now he's set. He may miss the entirety of next year. If he does come back next season, he won't be the same hobbit running around like he did before.  

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, H2o said:

I believe that Edelman waited around the same amount of time to get his done. I believe it depends on the amount of swelling. Either way, I don't believe Murray really cares about football. He just wanted his big $$$ contract and now he's set. He may miss the entirety of next year. If he does come back next season, he won't be the same hobbit running around like he did before.  

Agreed on the swelling.  I tore both my ACL's in separate hockey seasons.  The first time it was ACL, MCL and meniscus with a lot of swelling.  I waited 3 weeks for surgery.  The 2nd time and other knee was just ACL with little swelling and surgery was in a week.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

It has to do with the swelling associated with the injury. That isnt a crazy timeline to get ACL surgery 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.