BROCK PURDY: for real or fools gold ?

Italian Bills

1 hour ago, Italian Bills said:

Ok.. from what i see it seem that the major of you think that he could become a good one but not elite, very helped by Shanahan system that you say it’s great. 

So my next question is: would our Allen lead offense be unstoppable with Shanahan ? 

Our offense is not so explosive because our poor run game (OL and backs factor) and because we don’t relate on short passing game enough ? I mean very few curl, slant, jet sweep, etc ? 

I’ve said in another thread if Buffalo had made the trade for CMC you O be too 5 ALL Time. The only thing your team needs is someone in the backfield who is truly feared. 

14 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Yesterday he had another great game, it seem he has been in control all the game, very accurate and more. 

You that know the game much more than me, what’s your take on this ? 

If he’s for real the 49ers can have a serious shot to the SB. 

I think at this point, it’s more about San Francisco’s QB friendly offensive system.  If Shanahan can run his offense and has good personnel,  QB’s are usually successful if they do a decent job reading the field and don’t turn the ball over.  

We saw this not only with Jimmy G but also with mediocre QB’s like Nick Mullens and CJ Betheard both who started out fast.  Historically though, there’s been a limit with how far they can go before defenses catch up.  We’ll see what happens this season

15 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Yesterday he had another great game, it seem he has been in control all the game, very accurate and more. 

My take is that if he continues to play at this level, the 9ers will have a bounty of draft picks after trading Jimmy G and Trey Lance in the offseason. 

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I’ve said in another thread if Buffalo had made the trade for CMC you O be too 5 ALL Time. The only thing your team needs is someone in the backfield who is truly feared. 

Unfortunately we didn’t go for CMC. But i’d love to see Beane to do something to improve our OL (don’t know if some very good one is available out there), improve our receivers corps (a slot typo or…. OBJ). 

I think we need those two spot fixed if possible. 

not sure how great he is, but he might be as good as Jimmy G, which is all they need.

Don't turn it over and make a few throws. 

I see the guy taking some serious shots though already, and I worry he won't last. He's already nicked up with an oblique injury.

Obviously I love his game this past week!

Edited by TheFunPolice

18 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

6 games, 6 games of Tape for NFL DCs to break apart and then come talk to me.

• Like (+1) 1

I've seen Purdy play in college.  He won a lot of games.  He's a gamer - scrappy, intense, competitive, football-smart, coachable, etc.  Those are great attributes to have as a QB.  They may not get you to All-Pro status, but if you have enough athletic ability and a good team around you, you can have some success and I think Purdy will have some.  I think that Purdy will have a successful NFL career as a backup with some starting mixed in.  I don't know that he'll ever be a "franchise QB," but with SF's current offensive scheme and defense, the team can win with him.

What teams really want is a gamer (scrappy, intense, competitive, football-smart, coachable, etc. ) who ALSO has top end athletic ability.  Buffalo is fortunate to have just that in JA17.

So back to the question posed by the original post - "for real or fools gold" I would say "for real" as long as you define what that means.  Does it mean Purdy is the 2nd coming of Josh Allen, no, but does it mean that Purdy can play QB in the NFL and win some games, yes.

Edited by msw2112

4 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

No.  We need an offensive line that doesn’t absolutely suck.  

No offense can be top 5 of all time with a terrible OL. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have a family member that plays at Iowa state.  Had played with Brock for the last three years.  He is a great kid, leader, and had started a lot of college games, including most of his true freshman year at Iowa state. He really doesn't get rattled.

The issue is he is not the most physically gifted, but all the intangibles are there. 

20 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I’m impressed.  Josh wasn’t that decisive in his first two games.  Amazing find. 

Agreed. My biggest worry with him is his size. He looks small out there and at 6'1'' 220, he is small by NFL standards. Without any special talent, i think he could struggle. But Kudos to SF for finding this guy.

As someone mentioned, taking a QB with crazy numbers and a 3-4 year starter late in the draft is worth it. Some guys just know how to win

Case Keenum was like that. At worst, you get an experienced backup

He seems to have just enough mobility to actually make him dangerous in that offense. Solid run game, easy schemed throws, the ability to extend a bad play an extra 3 seconds is huge. 
I don’t think he’s going to be a long term starter as of right now, but I think they can still win meaningful games including playoffs with him. 

29 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Allen hides a lot of warts on the O line with his legs.. I’m asking.. is your line as bad as the Pats?

I don’t watch enough patriot football in detail to know.  Just like you don’t watch enough bills football in detail to know that Mccaffery would make our offense top 5 all time.  

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t watch enough patriot football in detail to know.  Just like you don’t watch enough bills football in detail to know that Mccaffery would make our offense top 5 all time.  

CMC IMO just that special of a talent on O. If nothing else would give Allen another reliable receiver.

19 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

CMC IMO just that special of a talent on O. If nothing else would give Allen another reliable receiver.

Don’t get me wrong, he’d be phenomenal in our backfield…..but top 5 offenses ever….. with Ken Dorsey calling plays, Mckenzie in the slot, Gabe David WR2-  Saffold, Spencer brown and Ryan bates starting in the OL? Cmac is special.  Josh is even better.  But there are too many holes that can’t be covered up by a RB in order to make this O top ever.  Not even close

• Like (+1) 1

Their D looks pretty impressive.  With a conservative game manager type QB they could go deep into the playoffs.  He's looked like more than just a game manager the first 2 games.   A big question for me will be if they get into the playoffs, will he wilt under the pressure of it all, or keep playing with the confidence he's been showing?

On 12/12/2022 at 3:39 PM, FrenchConnection said:

The Shanahan system makes things easy for a QB. It’s the same reason that Tua is so much better this year. They just get the ball to playmakers in space and let them do the work. In fact, the Deebo injury will be more impactful than the Garoppolo injury.

Yes, this is the opposite of the Bills offensive system, where veteran and rookie receivers can’t just be plugged in because it’s too complicated.

On 12/13/2022 at 6:46 AM, Steptide said:

Didn't the 9ers start a backup a qb a few years back who had like 3 or 4 really good games and then collapsed? Can't remember his name off the top of my head. 9ers have a really good team though. Mcafrey is a stud. Purdy doesn't have to be as good when you have playmakers like that 

there are dozens of recent examples. A few from the niners. Are you thinking of Colin kaepernick?

29 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Yes, this is the opposite of the Bills offensive system, where veteran and rookie receivers can’t just be plugged in because it’s too complicated.

unfortunately, it ends with needing to pay a lot of elite play makers PLUS a mediocre qb getting the biggest pay check of all- making it hard long term. 

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

there are dozens of recent examples. A few from the niners. Are you thinking of Colin kaepernick?

unfortunately, it ends with needing to pay a lot of elite play makers PLUS a mediocre qb getting the biggest pay check of all- making it hard long term. 

No, I was thinking of nick Mullens 

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok… maybe it could seem exaggerated, but i really hate Brock Purdy. 

I hate the fact that people talk about him like the next Tom Brady. 

Will this Purdy circus-bandwagon end soon or will i have to tolerate this long time ? 

Can’t stand his fake-baby face any longer… and his raucous voice while at the snap count. 

4 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

Ok… maybe it could seem exaggerated, but i really hate Brock Purdy. 

I hate the fact that people talk about him like the next Tom Brady. 

Will this Purdy circus-bandwagon end soon or will i have to tolerate this long time ? 

Can’t stand his fake-baby face any longer… and his raucous voice while at the snap count. 

I’m with ya. But look at the guys supporting cast… McCaffrey, Debo, kittle, gimme a break I can QB that team. I’m sick of the Brock love too

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.