Gregory Rousseau is becoming elite

Mikie2times

43 minutes ago, bouds said:

This pick is really carrying the last couple of Beane drafts, 20/21 look rough for long term starters outside of Greg R.

Ehh...Bass is a big hit for Beane and Davis in the 4th round is not nothing.  For as much hate as he gets around here, 800 yards as a #2 WR isn't nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Ehh...Bass is a big hit for Beane and Davis in the 4th round is not nothing.  For as much hate as he gets around here, 800 yards as a #2 WR isn't nothing. 

Despite his 800 yards, I don't see Gabe’s year as a success, at least not as successful as I hoped. I had hoped that Gabe could establish himself as a big enough threat so teams couldn't roll coverage towards Diggs or at least make them pay for it. Or stop defenses from using a defender to spy Josh. Neither has happened to date.

I think in part my disappointment comes down to he has so many advantages that most other #2 WRs don't have. 2 less defenders to worry about(extra guys assigned to Diggs and Allen), a pass happy offense to play in and 1 of the top QBs in the league to sling him the ball. 

He literally only has to beat the guy covering him on most plays. With 2 defenders assigned elsewhere there's little help to offer DBs covering him most of the time.

I would call him a boom or bust WR. The Steelers game was awesome, but he's not going to get many 3 catch, 171 yards & 2 tds games in his career. His game against them accounted for over 21% of his yards and over 28% of his tds towards his yearly totals. His best 4 games(Rams, Steelers, Chiefs & Vikings) account for 426 out of his 799 yds and 5 of his 7 tds. He only has 373 yards & 2 tds in his other 10 games. 

His catch rate is bad, really bad, like 154th in the league bad. Alot of people on this board are on McKenzie for not catching the ball, somwtimes rightfully so, he ranks 60 spots higher than Gabe.

Imo his true position is a deep threat #3 WR in this league. Unfortunately not what I was hoping for or expecting. Still a solid WR though.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

He has decent stats because he is the Bills #2 WR, Josh Allen is his QB and he gets a lion share of the WR snaps.  He’s a decent WR to date.  There’s no one to push him for snaps. Slightly better than a JAG imo.  

He’s not what we were all hoping for and that’s why he receives “hate”.  Based on what I’ve seen from him this season, I don’t think he’ll be getting an extension from us unless he gives us a nice discount.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Despite his 800 yards, I don't see Gabe’s year as a success, at least not as successful as I hoped. I had hoped that Gabe could establish himself as a big enough threat so teams couldn't roll coverage towards Diggs or at least make them pay for it. Or stop defenses from using a defender to spy Josh. Neither has happened to date.

I think in part my disappointment comes down to he has so many advantages that most other #2 WRs don't have. 2 less defenders to worry about(extra guys assigned to Diggs and Allen), a pass happy offense to play in and 1 of the top QBs in the league to sling him the ball. 

He literally only has to beat the guy covering him on most plays. With 2 defenders assigned elsewhere there's little help to offer DBs covering him most of the time.

I would call him a boom or bust WR. The Steelers game was awesome, but he's not going to get many 3 catch, 171 yards & 2 tds games in his career. His game against them accounted for over 21% of his yards and over 28% of his tds towards his yearly totals. His best 4 games(Rams, Steelers, Chiefs & Vikings) account for 426 out of his 799 yds and 5 of his 7 tds. He only has 373 yards & 2 tds in his other 10 games. 

His catch rate is bad, really bad, like 154th in the league bad. Alot of people on this board are on McKenzie for not catching the ball, somwtimes rightfully so, he ranks 60 spots higher than Gabe.

Imo his true position is a deep threat #3 WR in this league. Unfortunately not what I was hoping for or expecting. Still a solid WR though.

>  He literally only has to beat the guy covering him on most plays

That is definitely not true.  You can see on several replays of his completions as well as drops that he is double covered.  His ability to get separation means that a safety is always trailing him. 

> His game against them accounted for over 21% of his yards and over 28% of his tds towards his yearly totals.

This wiwll be true for many players.  Last year if you took Derrick Henry's stats -  He had big lumps of 150+ yard in a few games.  Even Diggs has not been productive last 2-3 games.   If you take Josh's TD against Miami, he suddenly may look pedestrian for rest of his games!

> He only has 373 yards & 2 tds in his other 10 games. 

What you are saying is that Davis not consistent week in week out.  However, we should check if someone else benefited in those weeks.  The Bills spread the ball around and not focus only on their top two WRs.  We have TD catches from Shakir, Hines, Morris, Gilliam, Cook, Singletary etc. 

> Imo his true position is a deep threat #3 WR in this league. Unfortunately not what I was hoping for or expecting. Still a solid WR though.

Davis never had the elite speed.  That is what pushed him to the 4th Rd in the draft.  You are asking for what you cannot get.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

He has decent stats because he is the Bills #2 WR, Josh Allen is his QB and he gets a lion share of the WR snaps.  He’s a decent WR to date.  There’s no one to push him for snaps. Slightly better than a JAG imo.  

He’s not what we were all hoping for and that’s why he receives “hate”.  Based on what I’ve seen from him this season, I don’t think he’ll be getting an extension from us unless he gives us a nice discount.  

Davis is available for one more season.  The Bills will not be in a hurry to extend him next year.

20 minutes ago, ganesh said:

That is definitely not true.  You can see on several replays of his completions as well as drops that he is double covered.  His ability to get separation means that a safety is always trailing him. 

> His game against them accounted for over 21% of his yards and over 28% of his tds towards his yearly totals.

This wiwll be true for many players.  Last year if you took Derrick Henry's stats -  He had big lumps of 150+ yard in a few games.  Even Diggs has not been productive last 2-3 games.   If you take Josh's TD against Miami, he suddenly may look pedestrian for rest of his games!

What you are saying is that Davis not consistent week in week out.  However, we should check if someone else benefited in those weeks.  The Bills spread the ball around and not focus only on their top two WRs.  We have TD catches from Shakir, Hines, Morris, Gilliam, Cook, Singletary etc. 

> Imo his true position is a deep threat #3 WR in this league. Unfortunately not what I was hoping for or expecting. Still a solid WR though.

Davis never had the elite speed.  That is what pushed him to the 4th Rd in the draft.  You are asking for what you cannot get.

Davis is available for one more season.  The Bills will not be in a hurry to extend him next year.

Wish we could put Hodgens hands on to Gabe Davis’s body lol

9 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Yeah it's hard to decipher your response from mine, not sure why you did it that way.

So opposing defenses are doubling Diggs AND Gabe while still covering McKenzie, Knox and either Singletary or Cook, while devoting a guy to spy Josh? That's 8 defenders right there, so teams have only been rushing 3 people? We both know that's not true. Not saying he never gets doubled, but that not even close to the norm.

Yes we have been spreading the passing offense out, for exactly 2 games. Of the players you listed, half caught their only receiving td in the last 2 weeks, Knox has caught 3 of his 5 in the last 3 weeks. We've just started to spread it out, it’s been far from that for most of the year.

What does Derrick Henry have to do with receiving? And you're streeeeeetching it just a bit to bring up a 2-3 game slump by Diggs vs 10 games for Gabe. Diggs has plenty of big games this year and has been do it since he got here. One is a proven commodity, the other isn't. One is top 3 in the league even though he gets doubled, the other isn't.

Lastly, I mentioned nothing about Gabe’s speed, I said deep threat because up to and including the Steelers game this year he's had a knack for getting open deep alot based on the number of snaps he's played in his career. He's been our deep threat till lately. My comment had nothing to do with his speed. But the long passes have dried up the last couple of months also.

On 12/17/2022 at 5:21 AM, GunnerBill said:

Yea Mario is one of the greatest bull rushers I have ever seen play. But that was his only rush. He was so naturally, physically dominant that he never developed the nuances. He just bull rushed and got home.

And I say that as someone, like you, that was a huge Mario fan and appreciate his time as a Bill. 

Nuances are hard to come by in 300lb men ;)

And you know why he's becoming elite? Because they actually drafted a guy with elite measurables. He's got elite size and great athleticism. 

They invest too many draft picks into undersized lunch pail high motor guys, especially at a position as physical as defensive line. You can't do that with first rounders.

I've loved the Rousseau pick from day 1, i just wish they would make more of those. 

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

Yup-  he’s got work to do if he wants another contract from us

8 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

And you know why he's becoming elite? Because they actually drafted a guy with elite measurables. He's got elite size and great athleticism. 

They invest too many draft picks into undersized lunch pail high motor guys, especially at a position as physical as defensive line. You can't do that with first rounders.

I've loved the Rousseau pick from day 1, i just wish they would make more of those. 

I’m not sure how you have come to this conclusion

Both Groot and basham are both huge guys with good measurable’s

Ed Oliver is a stud

If anything, they are drafting guys that have elite measurable’s, and then trying to turn them into elite football players

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m not sure how you have come to this conclusion

Both Groot and basham are both huge guys with good measurable’s

Ed Oliver is a stud

If anything, they are drafting guys that have elite measurable’s, and then trying to turn them into elite football players

Yeah, the Bills like drafting "toolsy" guys. Josh...Edmunds...Spencer Brown and Elam more recently...

Elite? I would consider an elite DE to be a game wrecker. The guy that makes the big play when it’s needed. Who is unblockable. Is G.R. that guy? He is definitely good and has the tools. I wouldn’t call him “elite” yet. I want to see some of that “elite” stuff starting now!

1 hour ago, bmur66 said:

Elite? I would consider an elite DE to be a game wrecker. The guy that makes the big play when it’s needed. Who is unblockable. Is G.R. that guy? He is definitely good and has the tools. I wouldn’t call him “elite” yet. I want to see some of that “elite” stuff starting now!

I think working towards being elite is more accurate

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Bangarang said:

I’m not sure how anyone who has watched him play thought he was anywhere close to being elite. 

This thread (and many like it) are started by the kool aid drinkers who are all GONE RIGHT NOW because they always jump ship when things don't go well.

He is not elite; he is probably an easy upgrade but that won't happen b/c he was hand picked by this administration and moving on from him amounts to an admission of failure.

• Agree 2

On 12/30/2022 at 9:43 PM, ArtVandalay said:

IIRC Jeff George had elite measurables too 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I never recall calling Rousseau elite but I think he's turning into a really solid pass rusher for us, it's unfortunate he didn't show up today when we needed him but he isn't a bum like Epenesa that's for sure.

I disagree. I think he’s marginally, at best, better than epenesa and Shaq Lawson. Groot is probably topping out at 6-8 sacks a season. Those a Chris Kelsay numbers. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, CapeBreton said:

Do we need to single out Rousseau? Everyone sucked. Only memorable play was Boogie Basham going offside and chasing down Burrow. 

we do, when Bean spent #19 on him.  But he has great measurables, what a great prospect, blah blah blah.  Perhaps one of these players will become eliter when Allen retires, we don't have time to waste.  

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Oliver, Rousseau, Epenesa and Basham didn't do squat today against 3 backups.  Yes Von seemed to raise their level of play early this year but I saw no heart from them today.  

they can all leave, and take their emotionless DC with them.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.