Gregory Rousseau is becoming elite

Mikie2times

3 hours ago, Big C said:

He said “becoming elite.” Do you have to be a buzzkill for a guy that’s showing elite traits as well as continuous improvement? 

Not being a buzzkill having a conversation.   Should every thread just be a person making a statement and the rest of the board applauding their ability to do so?    Man, not agreeing with someone doesn't automatically make you a buzz kill or a killjoy.   

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

He didn't even play in college the year he was drafted...and was super raw the year before that even tho he dominated.

When they say the sky is the limit, that is definitely true for him.

They basically said the same thing about Mabin. I’m still at a ‘wait & see’ position, but easily acknowledge he’s trajecting upwards faster & better than Boogie or Epenesa.

6 hours ago, BillsVet said:

The only thing in common between Edmunds and Rousseau is they were both taken by the Bills in the 1st round.  Their NFL careers are at different junctures and the former may not even play on the team next season. 

The only way our Pro Bowl, Defensive Captain isn’t on the Beane/McDermott team going forward is if he accepts another teams’ extraordinary, can’t refuse offer next Spring. Face it, haters. The Bills love ‘Maine! 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

He is becoming a good starting defensive end rather than just a guy in a rotation.   Elite is a pretty strong term.  Maybe he will be there but right now elite is a long way off.  

The loss of Von Miller won't be felt until crunch time in the playoffs.  I don't see the young guys stepping up just yet like Von has proven he can and has.   Bills will be highly  competitive the whole way, but Miller was the missing piece.   

Top 5 roster for sure, but it will be a huge dogfight to get to the SB and win it, without Miller, Hyde, Beasley and Daboll, a pile of guys out each week and with Josh not 100%.  They look alternately invincible and beatable .   

Really hard to know what each game will produce other than a great fight out of the Bills.  Lets go play the games and see what we see.

17 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

The loss of Von Miller won't be felt until crunch time in the playoffs.  I don't see the young guys stepping up just yet like Von has proven he can and has.   Bills will be highly  competitive the whole way, but Miller was the missing piece.   

Top 5 roster for sure, but it will be a huge dogfight to get to the SB and win it, without Miller, Hyde, Beasley and Daboll, a pile of guys out each week and with Josh not 100%.  They look alternately invincible and beatable .   

Really hard to know what each game will produce other than a great fight out of the Bills.  Lets go play the games and see what we see.

You can say that about every team. They all have the same issues. Injuries, slumps, etc. It’s a long season made even longer since last year. 
KC almost lost to Denver. Miami lost to the chargers. No team really looks dominant this year. We have just a good a shot as any team to win it all.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I say this statement alot but his presence is def felt. He's the Edmunds of the DL. Even if he didn't put up stats on the play, his size and length impacted the play that won't show up on the stat sheet

That's just an attempt at pumping up Edmunds.    Edmunds is a great athlete but he is not a play maker.   Rousseau is.    Very different.   They are almost the opposite in this regard.   Groot gets sacks.   He gets his hands on more passes than Edmunds.   He creates turnovers.   He lead the NFL in run stops by a DL last season.    The only thing MORE ridiculous would be to compare Edmunds to Allen or Diggs.  

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I'm hoping they tough out some ugly wins to close the season and enter the playoffs comparatively healthy.  Not having Von is a huge loss.  But we can still make a run to the SB if the rest of the stars (particularly Josh and his elbow) are feeling good.  

7 Sacks on the year just noticed that. He's been great when in. I love that he exploits his size (6'7) and it's so noticeable out there. Might be one of those freak talents if he can keep on this pace. Would be huge given the Miller loss if he can step up here in the next 5-8 weeks.

6 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Man, you are really making a lot of excuses for failure.

He’s not elite yet, most of his sacks are really coverage sacks or somebody else pushing the QB to him.  He’s got some more moves than he had, I’d like to see him stunt inside more, he’s an absolute problem when he does.  He does a great job against the run and his length definitely causes issues. His pass rush still has a long way to go to be considered elite.  He’s a legit starter at DE in the NFL and that’s a great start.  I’m hoping for Campbell 2.0.

7 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Becoming very good. If and when he get 14 or more sacks that's top-5 and elite to me.

That’s ridiculous.  He’s missed 3.5 games. You’re saying that he can never reach elite status if he misses a handful of games each year due to injury. 

in the last 20 years, how many players have been top 5 in sacks after missing more than 3 games?  2- a juiced up Shawn Merriman and a probably juiced up clay Matthews.  

Rousseau is a dominant force rushing the passer…..and is even better vs the run.  He’s borderline elite right now based on his play in 2022. 7 sacks in 9.5 games while being one of the best run stoppers around.  I just hope we can afford the 30M+ aav contract he’s going to get in 3 years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

That’s ridiculous.  He’s missed 3.5 games. You’re saying that he can never reach elite status if he misses a handful of games each year due to injury. 

in the last 20 years, how many players have been top 5 in sacks after missing more than 3 games?  2- a juiced up Shawn Merriman and a probably juiced up clay Matthews.  

Rousseau is a dominant force rushing the passer…..and is even better vs the run.  He’s borderline elite right now based on his play in 2022. 7 sacks in 9.5 games while being one of the best run stoppers around.  I just hope we can afford the 30M+ aav contract he’s going to get in 3 years. 

Cool your jets. I didn't remember that. I still maintain he's more at the "very good" rather than elite level but he may get there soon enough.

He’s a good above average starter on his way to becoming great with elite potential.

Between his current career trajectory, style of play, likelihood to stick around for a while, personality, and my own love of the MCU and therefore anything Groot-related…

I think a front runner for my next jersey purchase has emerged. 

Happy Dance GIF

22 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Cool your jets. I didn't remember that. I still maintain he's more at the "very good" rather than elite level but he may get there soon enough.

That’s why everyone said he’s a very good player that, if he continues to play at this level, will become elite.  His play has been all pro level imo.  

In the first meeting, the jets had 3 points when he left with injury.  They scored 17 after he left and did a ton of damage on the right side.  He was sorely missed the second he left.  Then we lose the Vikings game, with him out.  I think we win both games if he didn’t get injured.  

he’s developing into a special player,  get used to it.

4 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

He’s a good above average starter on his way to becoming great with elite potential.

Between his current career trajectory, style of play, likelihood to stick around for a while, personality, and my own love of the MCU and therefore anything Groot-related…

Happy Dance GIF

He’s not an “above average starter” right now.  Watch him on every snap-  he’s a monster. 

10 hours ago, Westside said:

You can say that about every team. They all have the same issues. Injuries, slumps, etc. It’s a long season made even longer since last year. 
KC almost lost to Denver. Miami lost to the chargers. No team really looks dominant this year. We have just a good a shot as any team to win it all.

the Eagles look pretty dominant so far but that can change come playoffs

22 hours ago, KzooMike said:

7 sacks in 10 starts this season. His length is disruptive. You cant get into his radius and come out ok. He seems to have a really good head on his shoulders. Has said he keeps learning from Von. I wonder how many sacks Von has added by just training with our line? My guess would be at least 5.

Groot looks like he will become a force  

Credit where credit is due...

22 hours ago, KzooMike said:

7 sacks in 10 starts this season. His length is disruptive. You cant get into his radius and come out ok. He seems to have a really good head on his shoulders. Has said he keeps learning from Von. I wonder how many sacks Von has added by just training with our line? My guess would be at least 5.

Groot looks like he will become a force  

But , but Boogie is more NFL ready !!! 

5 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Above average starter means he’s - what - a top 20-30 NFL DE?

I think it’s fair to place him there until he sustains his production over a longer span of time. 

He's been manhandling NFL Tackles on the edge for two years now.

23 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Did not know he had 7 sacks this year. Pretty impressive. I think he makes the leap into the elite category next year, but he is looking mighty good. Great draft pick 

In only 10 starts, and he missed games to the ankle sprain, which slows you for a while when you try to come back. Von may be right about his ceiling. That’s a GREAT thing! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yep, Groot's going to break the bank...

36 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Happy Dance GIF

Part of me is hoping Von sticks around a little longer than expected, just to rub off on him more. It seems they have ALL benefited from Von’s presence.

I know, there is only so much money, but Groot is young. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Pass rushers don't usually hit immediately, I think he is well on his way. His length will be an issue for opponents. 

I really hope he becomes a Bosa type player that makes an impact week in week out.

Even Bruce Smith wasn't  HoF Bruce his rookie year.  He grew into his dominate play as he learned how to train his body to work as well as it did.

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Yep, Groot's going to break the bank...

That was what Bruce used to do, and it turned out OK. Worth every penny of MY money!  😋

I kid, winning makes you wealthier. Groot will help you win. GREAT pick IMO. Fun guy to watch, too. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.