Gregory Rousseau is becoming elite

Mikie2times

7 sacks in 10 starts this season. His length is disruptive. You cant get into his radius and come out ok. He seems to have a really good head on his shoulders. Has said he keeps learning from Von. I wonder how many sacks Von has added by just training with our line? My guess would be at least 5.

Groot looks like he will become a force  

• Like (+1) 34
  • Agree 7

2 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

7 sacks in 10 starts this season. His length is disruptive. You cant get into his radius and come out ok. He seems to have a really good head on his shoulders. Has said he keeps learning from Von. I wonder how many sacks Von has added by just training with our line? My guess would be at least 5.

Did not know he had 7 sacks this year. Pretty impressive. I think he makes the leap into the elite category next year, but he is looking mighty good. Great draft pick 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He's like a fly trap. If you get near him it triggers and you're done. I think he's the best pass rush finisher we have right now. Remember, he has been out for awhile. So as Von departs, Groot rejoins the party. It might even end up being a + situation. He's developing so quickly. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He is becoming a good starting defensive end rather than just a guy in a rotation.   Elite is a pretty strong term.  Maybe he will be there but right now elite is a long way off.  

He's pacing for 12 sacks in his 2nd year. He's clearly different physically. His body is just different. He was puppy raw out of college. He sets the edge like defending the run matters just as much as generating sack totals. I think he's closer to elite than you're giving him credit for.  

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He is a force against the run also and sets the edge tremendously well

If there’s something he’s “elite” at, it’s defending the run. He needs more moves when he’s rushing the QB, but it’s pretty much pointless to run at him 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

On one series he basically wrecked the play on every down.

If he can do that multiple times a game over an entire year than he will start getting into that elite category.   Its probably just semantics but when I think elite, I think top 1 or 2 players at a position in the league.

6 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

He's pacing for 12 sacks in his 2nd year. He's clearly different physically. His body is just different. He was puppy raw out of college. He sets the edge like defending the run matters just as much as generating sack totals. I think he's closer to elite than you're giving him credit for.  

I could be wrong, but I think he is on pace for 10 sacks this year, granted he missed time.  I will give him credit for racking up sack stats in a defense that doesn't usually allow for that. 

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If he can do that multiple times a game over an entire year than he will start getting into that elite category.   Its probably just semantics but when I think elite, I think top 1 or 2 players at a position in the league.

I could be wrong, but I think he is on pace for 10 sacks this year, granted he missed time.  I will give him credit for racking up sack stats in a defense that doesn't usually allow for that. 

I was pacing out what his production would equal if he didn't miss any time this year. He also matched his total on QB hits for all of last year already this season while missing a huge portion of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KzooMike said:

I was pacing out what his production would equal if he didn't miss any time this year. He also matched his total on QB hits for all of last year already this season while missing a huge portion of it. 

Fair enough.  I think he is a good player and getting better by the week.  Just an issue of semantics. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

He didn't even play in college the year he was drafted...and was super raw the year before that even tho he dominated.

When they say the sky is the limit, that is definitely true for him.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, KzooMike said:

There’s no question Von’s injury takes a major asset off the field, but it’s pretty clear just having him around will still

be of some genuine benefit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

He’s Tremaine Edmonds to me as far as a trajectory. Done some things and crazy young with a big future. Gotta wear shades 😎

The only thing in common between Edmunds and Rousseau is they were both taken by the Bills in the 1st round.  Their NFL careers are at different junctures and the former may not even play on the team next season. 

Edited by BillsVet
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

He is becoming a good starting defensive end rather than just a guy in a rotation.   Elite is a pretty strong term.  Maybe he will be there but right now elite is a long way off.  

He’s not becoming a good starting end.  He was a good starting DE last season.  He’s becoming elite 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Epenesa is right behind him.  He hasn't always had many snaps but he seems to have turned the corner and is noticeably better than last year.  Still would love to have Miller but I think our pass rush is better than last year even without him.

Espenesa is certainly improved. Flashing, no question it's his best year. Also no question even with Von gone, pass rush is better. I would even say significantly better. Von was the icing and damn, having that closer element was awesome but we have been trying to build that unit up for awhile now. I think we are seeing a combination of maturity along with Von's influence. Groot is legit and Epenesa is flashing more. Then Oliver has been borderline dominant at times. This is just three guys in a pretty big rotation.   

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He was definitely the right pic when we drafted him

I'll admit, I was very iffy on the pick. Clearly he was a physical freak, and his one year at DE looked impressive. But there were so many unknowns for a first round pick.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Epenesa is right behind him.  He hasn't always had many snaps but he seems to have turned the corner and is noticeably better than last year.  Still would love to have Miller but I think our pass rush is better than last year even without him.

I thought today was easily Ajs best game as a pro.  Keep it up 57, we need you

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KzooMike said:

I agree and AJ Epenesa is turning it on now at the right time as well with 4.5 Sacks and 1 FF.

• Like (+1) 1

No doubt about Groot. I was and continue to be impressed by Shaq Lawson. He seems reborn and a man possessed when the intense need moments count. He just looks like a different player than his first tour with the team. Shaq, Groot, Basham and Oliver pressing the middle still makes this Bills team so formidable. Heck, even Espenesa had the bat down of the game. Go Bills! 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

He said “becoming elite.” Do you have to be a buzzkill for a guy that’s showing elite traits as well as continuous improvement? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RenoNVBillsfan said:

No doubt about Groot. I was and continue to be impressed by Shaq Lawson. He seems reborn and a man possessed when the intense need moments count. He just looks like a different player than his first tour with the team. Shaq, Groot, Basham and Oliver pressing the middle still makes this Bills team so formidable. Heck, even Espenesa had the bat down of the game. Go Bills! 

• Like (+1) 2

He's also just 22 years old and only played one year as a starting DE in college. Nowhere close to his ceiling yet. He has elite physical traits, elite instincts, and you can tell he's a very cerebral player. I think next year he'll be in the conversation for top 10 at his position.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, RenoNVBillsfan said:

Shaq clearly felt disrespected elsewhere and came back to show what he could still do.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.