NFL Week #14 - Jets at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

Who's the asshat who asked the question about 4:14 in?

"This offense has struggled to find its rhythm for 6 games now.  Is that a concern for you?"

(Josh says no, we're 10-3, just playing smart, complimentary football, not putting ourselves and our defense in bad situations etc)

"This doesn't look like an offense that's good enough to win the Superbowl right now"

Josh: "Okay"

I don't want to assume it was Sullivan.  Who was it?

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

"This offense has struggled to find its rhythm for 6 games now.  Is that a concern for you?"

(Josh says no, we're 10-3, just playing smart, complimentary football, not putting ourselves and our defense in bad situations etc)

"This doesn't look like an offense that's good enough to win the Superbowl right now"

It was Sully.  He did the same to Knox also trying to get something out of him by insulting the offense.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Consensus reaction on the twitter clips of it seemed to be Jerry though there were a few guesses of Wawrow. 🤷‍♂️

• Thank you (+1) 1

For what it's worth, last year the Bills finished 11 - 6.  Currently the Bills are 10 - 3.  The Bills have been hit with several key injuries that have required reserve players to fill in as starters.  Yet we keep on winning.

The AFC East is arguably the best division in the NFL top to bottom.  The Bills will most likely win that division and secure the #1 or #2 seed in the AFC.

This is a team that deserves our support. 

Why knit pick and worry about what might happen in the playoffs?

Take the example of our players.  Live in the moment, enjoy the victory, then focus on the next game.

6 years ago we would all have been ecstatic to be in the situation we find our favorite team in currently.

McDermott will have our team ready for the playoffs.

Let's enjoy the next 4 games.

It's time to run the table. 

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Consensus reaction on the twitter clips of it seemed to be Jerry though there were a few guesses of Wawrow. 🤷‍♂️

That was a bridge-burning question, by which I mean a question that burns through any bridge of trust and rappore between reporter and player.

I don't see Wawrow asking bridge-burning questions.  He asks tough questions sometimes, but the last bit wasn't even a question, it was a statement of the reporter's personal opinion.

A fair question might be, "You mentioned that the offense wasn't in sync early and has stuff to clean up.  That seems to have been a theme for the last several games.  Why, and what can you do to fix it?"

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The only DBag in the media who would ask that question is Sullivan...he has to have one every year it seems.

Last year it was asking the D if they were embarrassed after the Patriot game. Right around this time of the year too.

Maybe it's something about this time of year that brings it out in him...probably hates Christmas and has issues dealing with it.

• Thank you (+1) 2

This was a good game by the Bills to win “ugly”. The Bills defensive gameplan was great it took away the ground game for the most part and forced Mike White to execute into small windows of well disguised coverages while trusting the Dline to bring pressure.

The offense got off to a slow start but got the big TD drive to cap off the first half then when the Jets offense kicked into gear and tied the game the offense scored the next 13 points to take control of the game.

Nitpicks here or there but this team getting wins fairly comfortably in bad conditions against a really good defense is a big time positive. Hopefully no injuries and the team can get Phillips back next week against the Fins. 

Bills can choke out the division with a win against a tough Fins team.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

1. The Jets have a great defense. 
2. the weather was bad. 
3. we had a couple of drops. 

Those 3 things alone probably account for 95% of the issues we had on offense in the first half. 

Actually, I think offensive line penalties and the pressure/sacks they were trying to prevent had a good bit to do with offensive problems in the first half, though I had some frustration with playcalling (the weather sucks, it's 3rd and 2 - can't we run it?)

2nd drive - 3rd and 10 - sack

3rd drive - penalty on Morse (busted play), penalty on Dawkins,1st and 20 incomplete pass, penalty on Saffold (declined, 4 yd run), 3rd and 16 incomplete pass

4th drive - 9 yd sack makes it 2nd and 19

5th drive - Penalty on Dawkins, Penalty on Dawkins (declined due to 6 yd sack)

6th drive - TD (no holding penalties, no sacks)

End of half

Basically, 5 penalties on the OL (2 declined) and 3 sacks.  I don't wanna finger point because we all know Dawkins was playing on one leg and the Jets DL is really fierce, but seems like these accounted for a lot more than 5% of our early offensive issues.

1st 3 drives in the 2nd half, we scored.

Edit to add: I can see where a rebuttal would be "those problems are all because the Jets have a great defense", but, I kind of view them as separate issues - we've played other teams with good defenses and while Josh has had pressure, he's been able to function and we haven't had all those penalties.  NE, Ravens and Titans all have good Ds (8, 9, 10 on points); Patriots have more sacks and a higher pressure % than Jets.

Edited by Beck Water

41 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That was definitely Sully. I recognize that whiney voice from various village establishments back in the day. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

For what it's worth, last year the Bills finished 11 - 6.  Currently the Bills are 10 - 3.  The Bills have been hit with several key injuries that have required reserve players to fill in as starters.  Yet we keep on winning.

The AFC East is arguably the best division in the NFL top to bottom.  The Bills will most likely win that division and secure the #1 or #2 seed in the AFC.

This is a team that deserves our support. 

Why knit pick and worry about what might happen in the playoffs?

Take the example of our players.  Live in the moment, enjoy the victory, then focus on the next game.

6 years ago we would all have been ecstatic to be in the situation we find our favorite team in currently.

McDermott will have our team ready for the playoffs.

Let's enjoy the next 4 games.

It time to run the table. 

GO BILLS!!!

It's ridiculous because the NFL more than any other sport is a week to week game where very little carries over from a previous game. It's about matchups, flow of the game, and taking advantage of situations in the game. A strength in one game could be a weakness against a different team. 

Worrying about what "might" happen 5-6 weeks from now is pretty pointless.

The Bills are doing what they need to win THIS week. It might be completely different next week.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

Saleh apparently called his shot, saying they’ll see us again. 

His tough guy act is worn out for me.  Enjoy running your defeat stairs tomorrow coach

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

1st 3 drives in the 2nd half, we scored.

THIS is something to celebrate and build upon. Halftime adjustments and winning the 2nd half. Opposite game script of those back-to-back losses. 

"You either figure it out, or get figured out."

Hopefully the Bills are in the process of figuring it out. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It's ridiculous because the NFL more than any other sport is a week to week game where very little carries over from a previous game. It's about matchups, flow of the game, and taking advantage of situations in the game. A strength in one game could be a weakness against a different team. 

Worrying about what "might" happen 5-6 weeks from now is pretty pointless.

The Bills are doing what they need to win THIS week. It might be completely different next week.

To a certain extent you are correct. However, teams have strengths and weaknesses and that cannot be ignored or washed away on a game by game basis. Of course, game plans change and are dependent on several variables like weather, injuries, and the opponent.

As a Bills fan, I'm happy the team is winning games. I don't think the team is hitting on all cylinders. Josh himself said the offense is playing "complimentary football" and doesn't want to put the defense in bad situations. Is that a glowing statement of confidence? At some point, the offense is going to have to be more consistent, dynamic, and explosive. There is no doubt this team is very good and capable of representing the AFC. No team seems to be truly elite and unbeatable including the Bills. The team is experienced, tough, and gritty. Good teams find ways to win despite not playing their best. I believe that's what we are seeing in the Bills especially on offense. Winning heals everything. However, at some point it feels like the Bills need to find a new gear offensively.

It is a week to week game but it's also important for teams to hit their best stride going into the playoffs. We have seen that proven to be true. I'd sure like to see this offense hit its stride come playoff time. Complimentary offensive football probably won't get it done. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

I haven’t listened to a second of Howard and Jeremy this morning, but I suspect it sounds like:

Howard: I was swearing and kicking things down in my basement. I was so worked up my wife had to bring me my dinner.

Jeremy: Pass, pass, pass, pass, don’t ever run, pass, pass, pass. Defense doesn’t matter. Pass, pass, pass. It’s kind of like a Par 3 you know? 

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

He wasn’t wrong. The Bills O right now doesn’t look like it keep up with the Chiefs and definitely not the high flying Eagles O. What makes it a dumb question is the Bills D is damn good and capable of perhaps containing both those O’s as well. 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

He wasn’t wrong. The Bills O right now doesn’t look like it keep up with the Chiefs and definitely not the high flying Eagles O. What makes it a dumb question is the Bills D is damn good and capable of perhaps containing both those O’s as well. 

Rex Ryan just said on KJM that the Bills offense lacks creativity. I kinda agree. The Bills should run more misdirection plays. Roll Josh out more to avoid the pass rush, etc

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Sullivan's premise is 100% correct. His question or comment could have been more toned down and worded differently. Another poster said it well. 

I'd would like to focus on what Josh said. This Bills offense has been playing complimentary football. Not wanting to put the defense in bad situations. Not my words but Allen's. Those statements do tell us the mindset of Allen and the offense. Sullivan and others missed an opportunity to really question those statements. I have no issues with media asking the tough questions. 

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Rex Ryan just said on KJM that the Bills offense lacks creativity. I kinda agree. The Bills should run more misdirection plays. Roll Josh out more to avoid the pass rush, etc

I agree but Rex Ryan is a jackass. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

THIS is something to celebrate and build upon. Halftime adjustments and winning the 2nd half. Opposite game script of those back-to-back losses. 

"You either figure it out, or get figured out."

Hopefully the Bills are in the process of figuring it out. 

I hope so. The Bills were 2 for 13 on third down conversions yesterday. The Jets D isn't the 85 Bears D. The Bills offense has to improve. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Wasn't even a question it was a statement. Don't know what he expected Josh to say to that. Sullivan needs to be a journalist & ask questions & leave the statements to the experts: the fans. 

OMG, we're Soo screwed! The offense is a disaster, receivers dropping balls, Josh looks off, the O-line's a mess. We'll never beat KC, Cinci & Phili to win a SB like this. Fire everyone, blow it all up & start over! (See Jerry that's how it's done. I know those thoughts went through my head during the first half until the TD)

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

11 hours ago, Warcodered said:

If you didn't know beforehand you might think the Bills lost based on McD's demeanor.  Humble and hungry i guess.  Was asked direct questions about CB play (bristled at "Do you trust Dane Jackson") and 3rd and long D.  Interesting too he wasn't having at all the weather be an excuse for dropped passes.  He knows the issues that exist - now its a matter of cleaning it up in this last stretch

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Irrelevant. Each week is its own animal. All they need to do is score more points than the other team in a given game.

The whole "oh no...they aren't playing well" argument is less applicable to football than any other sport.  Each game is very specific in regards to matchups, gameplan, what they are trying to accomplish etc.

It's pretty hard to beat this team. I like our chances. Even more so since they seem to figure out ways to win differently each week.

100% relevant. But it’s fine ignore the massive offensive struggles since KC game. That’s fine. 

• Eyeroll 1

They're doing what it takes to win.  Their mantra is to go "1-0" every week - That's the right mindset.  Lots of positives yesterday, including no turnovers and minimal, if any, injuries.  Defense was on fire and offense scored 20 (with crappy weather 1st half and against an elite D) and played conservatively at the end to protect the lead.  And looking back at recent games, the Lions are a much better team than given credit for, and we played them at their house on a 4-game winning streak IIRC.  All that said, complementary (notice the spelling) football will mean the O stepping up if the D lets a team like the Chiefs roll on O.  So the concerns expressed about the recent O performance make sense in the context of a game like that.  Go Bills!!

Edited by TheWei44
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Wasn't even a question it was a statement. Don't know what he expected Josh to say to that. Sullivan needs to be a journalist & ask questions & leave the statements to the experts: the fans. 

OMG, we're Soo screwed! The offense is a disaster, receivers dropping balls, Josh looks off, the O-line's a mess. We'll never beat KC, Cinci & Phili to win a SB like this. Fire everyone, blow it all up & start over! (See Jerry that's how it's done. I know those thoughts went through my head during the first half until the TD)

He answered it perfectly. GMFB talked about it this morning. It wasn’t a Question. It was Sullivan stating his opinion. Instead of Allen getting defensive and saying they won their last 4, all that matters is a W, etc. he just acknowledges his opinion, but declines to engage with it and moves on. He knows his opinion doesn’t matter and made him look irrelevant. At the same time, Josh knows there are issues that need fixed and isn’t going to act like there aren’t.  Loved it. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

If that Eagles - Giants game was a fight it would have been stopped in the 1st RD. That was a bigtime KO they put on the Giants yesterday.

22 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

100% relevant. But it’s fine ignore the massive offensive struggles since KC game. That’s fine. 

When they lose then we can talk. Until then I don't care. Allen clearly is being coached to avoid turnovers and be more careful with the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Get Up crew postulated as well that the Bills offense is not built for playing in WNY weather, i.e. bad running game, mediocre offensive live, too many 3rd and hopes. 

Just now, Roy Hobbs said:

Get Up crew postulated as well that the Bills offense is not built for playing in WNY weather, i.e. bad running game, mediocre offensive live, too many 3rd and hopes. 

We barely ran the ball yesterday.  The previous half dozen or so games, our running was at the very least above average.  

I'm happy the Bills are 10-3 and winning these sorts of games they would have lost last season.  All teams are playing ugly ball now.  It's late in the season.  

My concern is growing that the offense grinds to a halt without hero ball from Allen/Diggs.  It has a flavor of being one-dimensional.  It requires the Josh Allen awesome run or the Diggs magic to move down the field.  There will be a defense, or defense+weather that manages to degrade both enough, and the Bills will need to rely on someone else.  I wouldn't wait to the divisional game to draw those plays up.  The Bills need to sell that everyone can be a weapon in that offense.    

2 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Average to below average OL with average RB's. These Bills are not even close to the Kelly led Bills who had a much better OL and #34. Those teams were balanced offensively. Kelly could throw the ball all over the place, but they could also run the ball down teams throats. These Bills can't do that. I really hope Beane focuses on the OL this upcoming offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s a combination of Dorsey still learning on the job and not having any elite weapons other than Diggs. 

After the NE game I thought he had see the light. Multiple formations, motion, running the ball and actually attacking a defenses weaknesses.

This gameplan didn’t attack the Jet’s weaknesses which were the middle of the field and their LBs in coverage. It worked, but it worked because our D played lights out and Allen did Allen things without turning the ball over.

Look at a play caller like Reid - he schemes open players who aren’t any more skilled than our guys on the regular. 

Dorsey doesn’t do that yet consistently. He’s got 4 more games to improve before the stakes get real high.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Yet they continue to win. Gee, how is that happening?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.