NFL Week #14 - Jets at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

No question.   Sullivan told Allen the offense isn’t Super Bowl caliber right now. 

…and while I don’t think Allen should have to answer that, I kind of love that he did….

I hope it reverberated through the locker room.  

Because it was disrespectful, but also very true.  

I may be in the minority but I don't mind them being called out to be honest. That goes for Beane too. The entire offense was garbage today. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Josh Allen had that rough patch where he through too many interceptions.  With the weather turning miserable, I think he's trying to be cautious, maybe too much so at times.  Or maybe it's Dorsey who's being cautious.  There will certainly be a game coming up where Buffalo needs to be able to compete in a shootout, Cincinnati, if not Miami.  The Bills will also need their offense to be running smoothly in the playoffs. 

Do you think that elbow is effecting Allen's throws? Maybe he can't feel the ball as well? 

5 minutes ago, Process said:

I may be in the minority but I don't mind them being called out to be honest. That goes for Beane too. The entire offense was garbage today. 

IMO, Allen doesn’t deserve that, but he’s the face of the Offense, so he has to deal with it.   

I’d agree with you.  Maybe someone can light a fire under them. 

Hopefully we look back and that clip is replayed if/when they figure out how to be a competent offense again. 

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

They will… twice next year. And the year after that.  And the year after that…

I’m pretty sure it was in reference to a rubber match. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

This is what you get when your HC & GM refuse to value the OL. Allen masks the problems sometimes, and at other times, even he can’t hide the fact that this is a bottom 10 OL. 

They suck!!!

I think everyone is living in the past with the Jets...feeling like we should dominate them because they have always sucked.

Coming into this game, the Jets defense was 3rd in the league in yards/game surrendered, 4th in sacks, and 5th in points allowed per game. They were also 2nd in the league in QBR against. Not many QBs have had a good game vs. the Jets this year. And Saleh is a damn good defensive coach. Look what he did in San Fran.

In their last 10 games, only 2 teams have scored more than the 20 points the Bills did against the Jets today: New England in week 8 (22 pts) and Minnesota last week (27 pts). And though it wasn't a killers row of QBs, you certainly can't say the Jets were just playing JAGs. That stretch included Tua, Rodgers, Wilson, Allen (twice), Cousins, Fields, Pickett, and Jones (twice).

We all know we don't have one of the top offensive lines in the league, but to say they are one of the worst in the league (in bold, no less) after an 8-point victory over a top-5 defense seems a bit of an over-reaction. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, WideNine said:

He looked good.

He started off a bit slow, but seemed to get more comfortable as the game progressed - really happy for him.

Elam is a rookie, and some time to reflect and focus on what the defensive staff are trying to teach him will be good for him. Folks expect rookies to start - especially first rounders these days so they can get the most out of those rookie deals, but it is never a lock that they can hit the ground running.

I’d have no problem with them slowplaying Elam if Jackson wasn’t going through his struggles. I think Jackson needs some time to reflect too. I wish Benford didn’t get dinged because they seemed to trust him. At least give Rhodes some run. 

Games like this are helpful when posters say things like we have a bottom 10 OL…

Herbert is under siege every play.  

OL’s around the league struggle … a lot.  

QB play masks much of it ie pre-snap and mobility.   More noticeable when we dial up deep throws nonstop. 

Doesnt mean we shouldn’t draft some guys this off-season, but we have an average group … and you can win with that. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I believe they have really drilled into Allen's head about taking care of the football better and as such he is being exceedingly safe now.

No doubt he was told to take care of the ball. Agree there.

Since that KC game the offense has really changed. The Bills are no longer a quick strike long strike offense. Often they have reverted to long long drives 10 plus plays and numerous third down conversions. That's a hard way for the offense to make a living. My confidence in the offense has really gone down. Seems like they are trying to find their identity. Sure there are some legit excuses like weather. I guess im not used to seeing this kind of offense from Allen and the Bills. I expected the offense we saw in the first 5 or 6 games of the year. Hoping they can get that kind of swagger back. 

25 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Reporter stated the offense doesn’t look Super Bowl caliber. Wanted some thoughts. Allen just wasn’t having it 

Sullivan, who is a miserable human being, could have asked that same question after the Atlanta and Jets late season games last season. Yet we saw what the offense could do twice against NE and at KC at the end of the season.  It was a stupid and unnecessary question after a hard fought quality win against a very good opponent.

Just now, TheProcess said:

I’d have no problem with them slowplaying Elam if Jackson wasn’t going through his struggles. I think Jackson needs some time to reflect too. I wish Benford didn’t get dinged because they seemed to trust him. At least give Rhodes some run. 

If Tre can go full speed down the stretch we have a lot of young players with promise to compete for that CB2 position.

Not a bad problem to have and bodes well for depth down the road for this team.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Because it won’t. Play like they have been and they will be bounced. 

Irrelevant. Each week is its own animal. All they need to do is score more points than the other team in a given game.

The whole "oh no...they aren't playing well" argument is less applicable to football than any other sport.  Each game is very specific in regards to matchups, gameplan, what they are trying to accomplish etc.

It's pretty hard to beat this team. I like our chances. Even more so since they seem to figure out ways to win differently each week.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Sullivan, who is a miserable human being, could have asked that same question after the Atlanta and Jets late season games last season. Yet we saw what the offense could do twice against NE and at KC at the end of the season.  It was a stupid and unnecessary question after a hard fought quality win against a very good opponent.

Right. And while I’m SLIGHTLY unsettled about the recent offensive issues, I’m over the moon that this squad has FINALLY shown they can finally get their hands dirty and win a mucked up game, in 2 of the last 3 weeks, instead of buckling late. 

For me it was never that they couldn’t win close games. They could… as long as they kept themselves relatively clean… But it was these ugly grinders, such as todays game along with Detroit that have I didn’t have much confidence in before recently. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

As Allen said...

"By 1 or 100...it don't matter. Win on 3! 1, 2, 3...Win!"

With the way this defense has been playing we don't need to win by a lot.

We have not had to get into a scoring race with any teams really, and that is a good thing. Our offense has been better recently when they have gotten into the red zone and more importantly they have not been turning the ball over.

Punting or settling for field goals is better than forcing the ball into bad decisions and it is important for Allen to remember that playing smart and winning by a smaller margin is more important than forcing things simply to pad stats.

Nothing wrong with reinforcing that mindset for a competitor like Allen who can struggle at times giving up on plays when they are not there.

44 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

He made some great throws today.  A couple of catches that were dropped and this might not have been a close game.

Perhaps but I really didn't see it that way. I saw an offense struggling to move the ball. Drops are part of the game. The offense had zero points with a minute or 2 or so to go in the 1st half. The Jets gave the Bills an early offside Xmas gift. Most likely the Bills offense would have scored no points going into halftime. I'm sorry they have to play better and hopefully they will. I'm pretty concerned about the offense. Not since the KC game have they looked right.  

Edited by newcam2012
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Perhaps but I really didn't see it that way. I saw an offense struggling to move the ball. Drops are part of the game. The offense had zero points with a minute or 2 or so to go ib the 1st half. The Jets gave the Bills an early Offside Xmas gift. Most likely the Bills offense would have scored no points going into halftime. I'm sorry they have to play better and hopefully they were. I'm pretty concerned about the offense. Not since the KC game have they looked right.  

The Jets have a great, top 5 defense.  The weather conditions were terrible.  Offenses are going to struggle.  I'm not particularly concerned. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Perhaps but I really didn't see it that way. I saw an offense struggling to move the ball. Drops are part of the game. The offense had zero points with a minute or 2 or so to go ib the 1st half. The Jets gave the Bills an early Offside Xmas gift. Most likely the Bills offense would have scored no points going into halftime. I'm sorry they have to play better and hopefully they were. I'm pretty concerned about the offense. Not since the KC game have they looked right.  

Like a cockroach that just won’t stay under the floorboard

• Thank you (+1) 1

There is a lot that can be said about this game, but the most important thing is the W.  That is not lost on me for sure, but it is hard to ignore what are becoming obvious issues.

That said, I have major concerns about the offense.  The fact is with Davis not becoming the #2 we had hoped he was ready for, this offense only has 2 players to fear......Allen and Diggs.  That's it.  Those are the only guys that put any type of fear into you as a defense.  They are for sure good enough to beat you even with this being the case, but make no mistake about it, this offense has a serious lack of talent.  The offensive line is good at LT and C.  Not good enough anywhere else. Outside of Diggs, we have a bunch of "guys" that may be #3, #4, or #5 WRs. Last year, Daboll did a good job of scheming guys open and creating mismatches.  Dorsey is not helping these guys at all.  There is very little creativity.  Anyone that has watched this team can get a pretty good idea of what is coming before the snap.  And if we know what's coming, our opponents definitely have a good idea as well.  Our best plays only come when Allen goes off script and scramble drills ensue.  Very little happens within the structure of the actual plays called.  Dorsey is an issue for sure, but we better get used to it because he's not going anywhere.  Just have to hope he figures out we need to do something different once in a while.

As for the defense, I am not going to say much because they have been playing well for the most part.  Yes, Jackson continuing to be on the field baffles me.  He isn't good, but never comes off the field.  I'd much rather see Elam of Rhodes opposite White, but everyone else sees this as well.  The 3rd down defense is terrible.  I have never seen such a talented team like we have give up more 3rd and longs.  Just get off the field.  And, of course, they continue having trouble tackling at times.  But points matter and they have been good in that respect.  But against good offenses, you have to get off the field when you have the chance.

Of course there is a lot more to all of this.  And I hate picking at the bad things especially after a win.  And make no mistake about it.....the Jets are pretty good.  They probably have the best defense we will see the rest of the season.  But man, we had several chances to put this game away a lot earlier than we did and I think that is what is so frustrating to us.  But a win is a win, especially at this time of year.  Find a way to keep stacking them.  Got a really big test on Saturday.  Already having bad thoughts about having Jackson matching up on those WRs.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

I'm sorry but have the Chiefs been in a rut for 6.5 weeks? This team has. 

We have issues we need to iron out, that's not ground breaking unless you got you're head in the sand. 

The team is on a 4 game win streak so a rut is your opinion, not fact.

You also must not be watching the Chiefs games.

If the Bills barely beat the Titans and their rookie backup qb, barely beat the chargers, lose to the Bengals, and barely beat the Broncos, you'd say they were struggling.

In fact I can see the posts now:

"Allen can't put up enough points to pull away from the Titans and their backup QB"

"Allen and the Offense came away with a victory against the chargers but it had to be in the last 31 seconds against an inferior team"

"Allen and the offense can't match up with the talent of the Bengals"

"Allen and the offense struggle with 3 picks against a bad Russell Wilson led 3-9 Broncos team"

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Perhaps but I really didn't see it that way. I saw an offense struggling to move the ball. Drops are part of the game. The offense had zero points with a minute or 2 or so to go in the 1st half. The Jets gave the Bills an early offside Xmas gift. Most likely the Bills offense would have scored no points going into halftime. I'm sorry they have to play better and hopefully they will. I'm pretty concerned about the offense. Not since the KC game have they looked right.  

1. The Jets have a great defense. 
2. the weather was bad. 
3. we had a couple of drops. 

Those 3 things alone probably account for 95% of the issues we had on offense in the first half. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

He did the same thing to the defense last year to Hyde and Poyer where they walked out after the Tampa game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Heathcliff said:

Admittedly I have only read to age 21 but no mention of the two fumbles we recovered?  Hallelujah, the damn ball finally bounced our way!

That blocked punt bouncing out of the back of the end zone for a safety was a sneaky bit of luck too.  If it was recovered by the Jets for a TD that would have been extreme, super, mega sphincter-clinching time.

(Only saving grace would have been that we would get the ball back, I guess).

Edited by RiotAct
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

No one is miserable about winning. We’re looking ahead to when games will matter and seeing that our recent play won’t cut it. Glad we won today but Josh throwing under 200 yards isn’t going to cut it. 

There seem to me to be a number of people who are miserable about winning.  They want style points.

Josh and the offense played a clean game in nasty weather where cold fingers and wet footballs could easily result in fumbles or tips and picks.  That's really important because turnovers are pretty correlated to losing.

I'm a little curious about your statement "throwing under 200 yds isn't going to cut it", because Josh threw for ~200 yds for the last 4 games - and we've won.  Last game he threw for >300 yds, the Vikings, we lost.  Passing yards are not correlated to winning.  The Bills offense put up an offensive clinic in Miami - 497 yds of offense, 382 yds passing, almost a 2:1 advantage in 1st downs and TOP - and we lost.  Getting the ball in the end zone or through the goal posts matters.

Would I like to see us field more offense, sure, and we will.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.