NFL Week #14 - Jets at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

Perspective: A win is a win, 10-3, still #1 seed with 4 regular season games to go. NYJ have a strong D and are trending in the right direction. They have to feel good even losing. However, our team and coaching staff continue to make too many mistakes. Happy with the win but not happy with how they won.

OFFENSIVE:

Weather was atrocious but Dorsey thought long developing pass plays was the way to go which had me shaking my head.

Almost totally abandoned any semblance of a running game.

McKenzie, Knox, Devin with some critical drops. Would love to see the Bills draft Josh Downs, slot WR from NC.

Diggs and Davis needed to be more involved and it’s inexcusable they weren’t.

Josh continued to not take the easy positive yardage plays especially in the 1st half.

OL struggled mightily in the first half. Dawkins had a wicked block at the goal line for a TD.

They only converted on TWO 3rd downs.

Another bad coaching challenge by McDermott. How hard is this?

I keep waiting for some creativity by Dorsey but don’t think it’s coming.

GREAT GAME BY T BASS!

DEFENSE:

Only gave up 10 points.

Groot made impactful plays. BIG hits by Ed, Milano and others on White.

Almost 50% success rate on 3rd down by NYJ. That’s unacceptable and has been a trend in the wrong direction.

Solid game by the DL and LB’s. However they were much better when they attacked.  When they didn’t results weren’t good.

Continuing the negative trend of bad tackling. 

Secondary gave up way too many easy passes.

AGAIN yes this team is winning but the lack of execution, game planning, poor tackling and giving up 3rd down conversions are very worrisome. Can’t recall if this team has played even close to a complete game yet. Everything seems way too hard right now. I’m sure some may say it’s far too negative but if this team is going to reach its goal, they’ve got to get better. 

LETS GO BUFFALO! Now let’s take care of MIA!

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Tulsabillsfanz said:

I think your point is correct. We need at least one other receiver to step up. Davis did last season, hopefully he will again.  McKenzie just can’t drop so many passes. I keep hoping Shakir will step up.  Almost every time I thought Josh threw a bad pass, the replay would show a good pass that was a drop or the defender outfighting the receiver.  Did we make any contested catches today?  

We've made very few this year.  None today.

16 minutes ago, finn said:

That Jets defense is excellent, maybe better than ours. Really impressive at all levels. But they didn't even need to be that good to slow our offense down. Our O-line is below average, Knox is ordinary, Gabe Davis is a very nice fourth or fifth WR, and MacKenzie should be on the practice-squad. Very few national commentators have realized that, outside of Allen and Diggs, this is a mediocre offense. Allen especially makes everyone else look far better than they are. 

Complete lack of talent and yet top 5 in yards and scoring and even today vs a defense “ better than the bills” and in awful weather they score 20 and have zero turnovers. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, folz said:

What I really liked about today's game was that we were the more physical team. The Jets kept the game in range, but physically, we beat them up pretty good. And not just Mike White. How about Dion's block on the TD run? Jets receivers were taking big shots all day. Lots of gang tackling, etc.

And I've seen a lot of posters calling out Dane Jackson (he sucks, he needs to sit, another bad game by Jackson). He didn't give up a TD, I never saw a receiver he was covering running free, and he had two really good plays late in the 4th quarter to help seal the win. What are you posters seeing that I am not? I'm not saying he is spectacular, but did I miss some really bad plays by him today? He came up big down the stretch.

With Dane it has just been his inability to get his head around and play the ball.

He has been the favorite target of opposing QBs for a reason.

Decent recovery speed, and when he can keep plays in front of him with an eye to the QB, like the zone he played today, he is able to knock balls down and disrupt passes.

7th rounder who has drawn some tough assignments this season. 

9 minutes ago, Tulsabillsfanz said:

Defense is the key to winning big games. As frustrating as our offense was today, our defense really played well, especially when it counted.  The d-line wanted to show they’re very good, even without Von Miller. I think they showed they are. 

Today the defense played well. However, it was against a mediocre Jet offense, a career back up QB, number 2 WR hurt, best RB hurt, Bills at home, and cold/rainy conditions. Nevertheless, they stepped up and were a huge part of the win. 

Hope they can do the same to Miami. 

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I get that. Many on here aren't crapping on the win. I'm so happy and at peace this Sunday because of the win.

I can't help but to be realistic about the team. It just doesn't seem like a Super Bowl team despite their winning. I guess it's all about how you see things. For example, look at the 10-3 Minn team. How many think they are a Super Bowl team? Tenn Titans Number 1 seed last year. See my point? 

And again you're trying analyze things you cannot. We have no idea how or who we will play in the playoffs. But live in the now the rightnow. We are 10-3 with a realistic shot to be the number 1 seed in the afc. Just because you don't see this team as Super Bowl caliber doesn't mean people who believe we are, are being unrealistic. We have flaws but every team has them as well. No team is perfect and only one team can win the whole thing and to sit here and say we don't have a good a shot as anyone is in my opinion a bad take.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I get that. Many on here aren't crapping on the win. I'm so happy and at peace this Sunday because of the win.

I can't help but to be realistic about the team. It just doesn't seem like a Super Bowl team despite their winning. I guess it's all about how you see things. For example, look at the 10-3 Minn team. How many think they are a Super Bowl team? Tenn Titans Number 1 seed last year. See my point? 

Bengals and Rams, last years SB teams...were both extremely streaky.  One week looks great, next looked like a different team.

This team just needs to get the offensive rhythm going....same problem as LY, heading into playoffs.  How quickly we forget the offense wasn't clicking on all cylinders consistently.  

Defense and S/T are playing consistent right now, and that's going to be huge come playoffs

17 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

We must be watching different games. I never felt like the Bills were going to blowout the Jets. They had chances to close the game and didn't.

May I ask you about the Jets jumping Offside on 4th and 1? That "gift" lead to a Bills TD and a 7-0 halftime lead. Does that configure into your math equation? 

Hey man— just trying to have an interesting conversation; not sure I deserve a def con 3 level of snarkiness! 

2 hours ago, FLFan said:

You are an idiot.  Apologies to DC Tom.  

Guess you didn't bother watching the game.  If you think that team looks like a legitimate super bowl contender, i see why you're so triggered by an opposing view point... low intelligence. 

Edited by ArtVandalay

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

Complete lack of talent and yet top 5 in yards and scoring and even today vs a defense “ better than the bills” and in awful weather they score 20 and have zero turnovers. 

See the last line in my post. Allen throws the ball into the hands of his receivers and sometimes they even catch it. If not, Allen runs the ball and, at times, Singletary and Cook also pick up yards. I would say that sometimes Saffold and Brown pick up their assignments, allowing Allen to take his time in the pocket, but I don't want to exaggerate.

No one but Chris Simms and the NFL Films guy seems to be seeing the obvious: Except for Allen and Diggs, this offense is mediocre from top to bottom. 

Let me put it another way. Say you put an truly incredible player--maybe the best overall player the league has ever seen--in an offense with just one blue-chip player. How would you say that would work out. Answer: the 2022 Bills. 

"Next Gen stat of the game: Mike White was pressured on 19 of 47 dropbacks (40.4%; 19.5% in previous two starts). He was 7 of 16 for 95 yards when under pressure (20 of 28 for 173 yards when not pressured)."

-per nfl.com

This is why you need to blitz more leslie on third & long #######

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

He’s right. -4 yards on two drives when you have to run the clock out is completely unforgivable in my book. This is worse than Daboll ever was. 

You're drunk too. Is it possible the result of those two drives was execution, not play calling? By advocating that they can the guy right now, your credibility is crap. Big picture...

2 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Yeah because the Chiefs scratching and clawing against the LV Raiders makes them not a super bowl contender. They better straighten there ***** out too 😂

Division games are tough. We've routed the AFC East the last 2 years, we are bound to drop a couple some years.

I'm sorry but have the Chiefs been in a rut for 6.5 weeks? This team has. 

We have issues we need to iron out, that's not ground breaking unless you got you're head in the sand. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

The AfterGlow

1.  Weather was not an issue in the stands..  So much fun.

2. The 4th down Offside was an enormous play in this game.

3. White took a pounding..

4. Tre not quite up to it yet.. His coverage was loose.  His tackling looked okay.

5.  Some monster sacks for both teams in this one.

6.  2-0 turnovers  was really what separated both teams

7.  From my angle I could not tell if the drops were bad throws or bad drops

8. Jets LBs are fast.  They close to the ball really well.

9. 10-3 baby

10. Beautiful TD to Knox... 

11.  The 1st down play to Knox almost worked.  Mosely had good coverage.

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Slack_in_MA said:

You're drunk too. Is it possible the result of those two drives was execution, not play calling? By advocating that they can the guy right now, your credibility is crap. Big picture...

Yes it is. You don’t need a long pass play. Just run it up the gut where Williams used to be and force them to call time outs.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So I guess I should have a rabbit's foot for luck now? What happened to our dominant football team?

Cheer up Promo. You are not far off, but the Bills did manage to pull out the win.

The loss of Daboll cannot be just swept under the carpet. He was a good coach. 

Drove me nuts sometimes, but was able to find a way to get a lot of weapons involved on offense and get points on the board.  He has not done too shabby with the NYG in his first season to help right that ship.

Winning has brought its own challenges and losing coaches and FO personnel is going to be part of that equation.

Also, every team brings their "A" game against the Bills. Winning programs like ours are considered a benchmark for teams to measure themselves. 

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

Cheer up Promo. You are not far off, but the Bills did manage to pull out the win.

The loss of Daboll cannot be just swept under the carpet. He was a good coach. 

Drove me nuts sometimes, but was able to find a way to get a lot of weapons involved on offense and get points on the board.  He has not done too shabby with the NYG in his first season to help right that ship.

Winning has brought its own challenges and losing coaches and FO personnel is going to be part of that equation.

Also, every team brings their "A" game against the Bills. Winning programs like ours are considered a benchmark for teams to measure themselves. 

Loss of Beasley.

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Yes it is. You don’t need a long pass play. Just run it up the gut where Williams used to be and force them to call time outs.

If Josh leads Knox a little more on that pass... If Cook doesn't miss the block on the screen to Diggs... you'd have been high-fiving your dog. It's OK, you can admit. Even Josh said they need to do a better job finishing. I'll admit that I'm concerned with our ability to run the ball when we need to (except for Josh...)

Just now, JohninMinn. said:

Loss of Beasley.

I won't get drawn into a Beasley-specific discussion, BUT I would agree that this offense hums when it has a true posession slot WR.

I think Crowder was just starting to come along when the injury bug hit again and left us with no great options for the slot.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

I won't get drawn into a Beasley-specific discussion, BUT I would agree that this offense hums when it has a true posession slot WR.

I think Crowder was just starting to come along when the injury bug hit again and left us with no great options for the slot.

This x 1000

14 minutes ago, finn said:

See the last line in my post. Allen throws the ball into the hands of his receivers and sometimes they even catch it. If not, Allen runs the ball and, at times, Singletary and Cook also pick up yards. I would say that sometimes Saffold and Brown pick up their assignments, allowing Allen to take his time in the pocket, but I don't want to exaggerate.

No one but Chris Simms and the NFL Films guy seems to be seeing the obvious: Except for Allen and Diggs, this offense is mediocre from top to bottom. 

Let me put it another way. Say you put an truly incredible player--maybe the best overall player the league has ever seen--in an offense with just one blue-chip player. How would you say that would work out. Answer: the 2022 Bills. 

The drops were bad today but you are getting a little overly excited.   This was going to be a tough game.  The jets are physical and play hard. The weather was an equalizer. Division games can be tough to win. Sometimes you have to just be happy to get the win and be 10-3 and in the one seed.  Other teams struggle at times too.  See the forest through the trees. 

5 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

If Josh leads Knox a little more on that pass... If Cook doesn't miss the block on the screen to Diggs... you'd have been high-fiving your dog. It's OK, you can admit. Even Josh said they need to do a better job finishing. I'll admit that I'm concerned with our ability to run the ball when we need to (except for Josh...)

Do you think the offense that Dorsey called on the last two drives is good enough to hang with the Dolphins or Chiefs?

15 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I'm sorry but have the Chiefs been in a rut for 6.5 weeks? This team has. 

We have issues we need to iron out, that's not ground breaking unless you got you're head in the sand. 

Chiefs lost last week and have already given up 28 points to the pathetic Broncos offense this week.  Meanwhile we're on 4 straight wins.  So who's in a rut?

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

Well how about a few 1st downs instead of multiple 3 and outs to close out a game? Terrible and predictable play calls. Great win but unnecessary drama. We have to learn to close these games out.

Anyone who doesn’t see offensive playcalling as the top concern going forward is not paying attention. This is becoming a trend.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.