NFL Week #14 - Jets at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

57 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The concern with Diggs is we seem to struggle to scheme him free. Is it because defenses have little respect for the other options on offense, so they can really go hard on him? Somehow scheming him free more would make such a difference to Josh and the offense moving forwards.

I believe we miss Daboll in that regard.  He was able to scheme people open.  It is definitely not helping Josh.

15 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Do you think the offense that Dorsey called on the last two drives is good enough to hang with the Dolphins or Chiefs?

I didn't hate the shot they took to Knox. It was underthrown. That said, I wouldn't base our ability to hang with the Chiefs or Dolphins on two series of offense. IIRC, Dorsey called the plays against the Chiefs when they won back in October. And he called the plays against the Dolphins back in September (which I attended). If you remember your history, the Bills lost, 21-19, despite running 90 plays to 39 for Miami, earning 497 yards to 212, gaining 31 first downs to 15 and generating a 40:40 time of possession to 19:20. It's the highest time of possession in a non-OT loss since 2014. So can they hang with them? I think maybe.

Edited by Slack_in_MA

52 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I think I am at the point I am worried with Dorsey. This offense has massively regressed. That is on scheme and coaching. 

I agree with your assessment of Dorsey. That said, he’s a first-year coordinator. He deserves some slack for growing pains. We are lucky that we are winning while he learns on the job. I suspect he will improve slightly as the season wraps up.

32 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

You're drunk too. Is it possible the result of those two drives was execution, not play calling? By advocating that they can the guy right now, your credibility is crap. Big picture...

Nah, our couch gang were calling out the plays they were going to run pre snap. Predictable.  I applaud the pass to Knox. The rest were just lame and fooled nobody.

2 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

I agree with your assessment of Dorsey. That said, he’s a first-year coordinator. He deserves some slack for growing pains. We are lucky that we are winning while he learns on the job. I suspect he will improve slightly as the season wraps up.

... a first year coordinator on a team that should be in the SB.  I'm not sure if it's JA17 and his physical issues (no brace today from what I could tell), sugar-high JA17, or Dorsey, but at this point in time, well... glad that they're winning these games, but it's basically SB or bust.  No excuses.

Also, what's with the lack of running?

12 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Chiefs lost last week and have already given up 28 points to the pathetic Broncos offense this week.  Meanwhile we're on 4 straight wins.  So who's in a rut?

I'm talking about the Bills, not the Chiefs... but they have won a SB and ended our season two years straight so maybe that's why they are in your head.... they went up 27-0 today then eased up, far different story... 

But i could care less about the Chiefs because we don't even know if it will come down to them. I'm taking about the Bills and their play. Their execution is not Chamionship caliber right now, hasn't been since October. It's not even really debatable, just a question if you choose to acknowledge it or not. 

• Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

If Josh leads Knox a little more on that pass... If Cook doesn't miss the block on the screen to Diggs... you'd have been high-fiving your dog. It's OK, you can admit. Even Josh said they need to do a better job finishing. I'll admit that I'm concerned with our ability to run the ball when we need to (except for Josh...)

Agreed. I was fine with the play action kill shot to Knox. A better throw and that is 20 yards a first down and the game is over.  They could have and should have burned more clock two drivers earlier.   

56 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Perspective: A win is a win, 10-3, still #1 seed with 4 regular season games to go. NYJ have a strong D and are trending in the right direction. They have to feel good even losing. However, our team and coaching staff continue to make too many mistakes. Happy with the win but not happy with how they won.

OFFENSIVE:

Weather was atrocious but Dorsey thought long developing pass plays was the way to go which had me shaking my head.

Almost totally abandoned any semblance of a running game.

McKenzie, Knox, Devin with some critical drops. Would love to see the Bills draft Josh Downs, slot WR from NC.

Diggs and Davis needed to be more involved and it’s inexcusable they weren’t.

Josh continued to not take the easy positive yardage plays especially in the 1st half.

OL struggled mightily in the first half. Dawkins had a wicked block at the goal line for a TD.

They only converted on TWO 3rd downs.

Another bad coaching challenge by McDermott. How hard is this?

I keep waiting for some creativity by Dorsey but don’t think it’s coming.

GREAT GAME BY T BASS!

DEFENSE:

Only gave up 10 points.

Groot made impactful plays. BIG hits by Ed, Milano and others on White.

Almost 50% success rate on 3rd down by NYJ. That’s unacceptable and has been a trend in the wrong direction.

Solid game by the DL and LB’s. However they were much better when they attacked.  When they didn’t results weren’t good.

Continuing the negative trend of bad tackling. 

Secondary gave up way too many easy passes.

AGAIN yes this team is winning but the lack of execution, game planning, poor tackling and giving up 3rd down conversions are very worrisome. Can’t recall if this team has played even close to a complete game yet. Everything seems way too hard right now. I’m sure some may say it’s far too negative but if this team is going to reach its goal, they’ve got to get better. 

LETS GO BUFFALO! Now let’s take care of MIA!

How about the fourth 1 and play with Knox under center? How about the roll out corner pattern to Brown? How about lining up Diggs inside a ton this game to keep him away from Sauce?  From those perspectives Dorsey did fine. 

I just question why not more early runs.  I want to see Dorsey run with JA under center more. I couldn't tell from the TV how many underneath routes JA did not take.  I will trust that you are accurate and say if they were there and Josh pushed the ball downfield then Dorsey did his job and JA didn't.  

5 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

... a first year coordinator on a team that should be in the SB.  I'm not sure if it's JA17 and his physical issues (no brace today from what I could tell), sugar-high JA17, or Dorsey, but at this point in time, well... glad that they're winning these games, but it's basically SB or bust.  No excuses.

Also, what's with the lack of running?

Against the Jets DL, and without your lead blocking FB, you won’t generate a consistent running game. Their D is really good. That said, our run to pass ratio was pretty balanced, though. 24 runs, 27 passes.

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

The 2-year Spencer Brown experiment must end next spring. (Draft should be 100% offense and fill a couple D holes in free agency after franchising Edmunds.)

I agree.  A WR and at least three OL should be drafted next year.  I'd consider tagging Poyer and just sign Edmunds to a long term deal at this point.  From a cap perspective that is probably the most forgiving for next season.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

Allen is also off. The attempts become contested because Allen is throwing short and behind. 

He may be off a little, but rarely is it an uncatchable ball. The rest of the offense has to make a play sometimes. We see every other team make plays against our DBs with good coverage.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Against the Jets DL, and without your lead blocking FB, you won’t generate a consistent running game. Their D is really good. That said, our run to pass ratio was pretty balanced, though. 24 runs, 27 passes.

Misleading stats. JA finished with 27 pass attempts. But there were many more called passes. He was sacked three times and scrambled on at least three or four more.  So the ratio is really more like 17 called runs vs 34 called pass plays.  

41 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I won't get drawn into a Beasley-specific discussion, BUT I would agree that this offense hums when it has a true posession slot WR.

I think Crowder was just starting to come along when the injury bug hit again and left us with no great options for the slot.

Agree. Crowder could have been the other “go to” receiver for when Diggs is doubled. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills are literally 9 points over 3 games from being 13-0 in what is without a doubt one of the hardest schedules in football and lead in all 3 losses in the 4th quarter.

At no point in this game did I get the idea the Jets would win. I guess people are just never happy maybe try sticking for Jacksonville or something 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Misleading stats. JA finished with 27 pass attempts. But there were many more called passes. He was sacked three times and scrambled on at least three or four more.  So the ratio is really more like 17 called runs vs 34 called pass plays.  

Some of those Allen runs were clearly called or at least called as options. Look, the point is we we’re more balanced than some are crowing about.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jethro_tull said:

sure they won but it was winning ugly and with room for improvement.  

way too many dropped, catchable balls for one.  the jets receivers caught them so it wasnt conditions.  

That’s just how it seemed to you. The Jets board wants to cut Braxton Berrios for dropping a TD pass. “ball hit the guy in the f-ing face.”

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, clayboy54 said:

Some of those Allen runs were clearly called or at least called as options. Look, the point is we we’re more balanced than some are crowing about.

I accounted for those.  The stats don't lie. It was a 2:1 pass called play to run called play in a game that was played in rain and wind.  

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

He’s right. -4 yards on two drives when you have to run the clock out is completely unforgivable in my book. This is worse than Daboll ever was. 

What’s most frustrating is they know running the ball successfully gets them the win; yet they try 1-2 times and bail then have no answer for how to get a first cause the weather sux. Really showed how vanilla the O is, whether by design or by personnel. 

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Bengals and Rams, last years SB teams...were both extremely streaky.  One week looks great, next looked like a different team.

This team just needs to get the offensive rhythm going....same problem as LY, heading into playoffs.  How quickly we forget the offense wasn't clicking on all cylinders consistently.  

Defense and S/T are playing consistent right now, and that's going to be huge come playoffs

That's fair. Lots of football to play. A lot can happen from now to playoff time. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I didn't realize the Jets are now at the level of the Chiefs.

At what point in the game did the Jets even hint they would win?

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

This is what you get when your HC & GM refuse to value the OL. Allen masks the problems sometimes, and at other times, even he can’t hide the fact that this is a bottom 10 OL. 

They suck!!!

Well….since you bolded the font…..this is a serious post

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

He needs to improve ASAP. This offense will NOT win come January let alone February 

3 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

10 of those runs were Allen and less than a handful of those I think were designed.

I don't mind him taking off when he sees the secondary drop back into zone and they are running that wide nine that he can get under it and he sees some room to get close to the sticks, but I am not behind him being the lead ball carrier in almost every game. Especially not in a game like this where we should be pounding that C gap with the way the Jets lines the DEs wide, and where they lost their star in the middle in Williams, and the weather is such that receivers are dropping balls left and right.

It is not being down on the team to call out Dorsey and say he has to do a better job, or they need to run his game plan through a committee of coaches to be sure it is sound. It is his first year and there is a lot of experience on the offensive staff - should not be afraid to tap into that experience coming up with game plans while he grows into the role.

But who knows, maybe it is a committee approach, Shula and Kromer have been around the block a few times. Not sure how much input Dorsey takes from the coaches around him. Would be an interesting question to pose to him, how game plans are developed over the course of a week.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

You do realize Jets D is ton better than Miami D. You do realize Miami is playing tonight on the west coast and has to come to Buffalo on a short we’ll. You can whine, I like our chances 

The Jets D will be the best defense we play the rest of the season and that includes a very good Bengal's D.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FLFan said:

Sadly, it is largely unbearable most of the time now, but especially right after games.  We have been invaded by an army of bandwagon fans that do not have a clue, plus the usual contingent of posters who are just miserable.  Enjoy the ride, or what’s the point.  

This is my perception, too. So many people ready to jump off a ledge every week, no matter the result. So many people who are absolutely living in that last 13 seconds from the KC game last year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.