NFL Week #14 - Jets at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

1 hour ago, RichRiderBills said:

Dorsey needed more early runs. Adjust to rain and weather. Need more runs and screens. Too much daggone empty sets. 

And a few times on 3rd and short when runs were possibilities

I do not understand empty sets. It is the equivalent of the QB going to the line of scrimmage and yelling "Defense, we are passing, don't worry about the run. Linemen tee off against us and Defensive backs stay with your man"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Im worried about the offensive firepower, despite the QB. Outside of Diggs, there is nothing really exciting there

At their best the likes of Davis, McKenzie and Knox are ballers and can make plays which help make this offense explosive. Same with Cook and Singletary. But they are so inconsistent as well, and that can harm as much as help us. Dare I say it, as it's blasphemy on here, but Josh has been inconsistent since the bye as well.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

how about just making a contested catch.  It was in both his hands (just like Brown) and neither made the play.  Not every pass is perfect and sometimes the receiver needs to make a play.

And there is a difference between a player making a catch when a ball isn't perfect (which Bills players do), and a player making a catch when a defender has one or two arms in the receiver's chest as the ball arrives. Of course, we would like to see our WRs make more contested catches, but again, there is a difference between say a jump ball (where a guy can out jump the defender) and a pass on the numbers when the defender is right there, with a hand in his body, trying to rip the ball out. 

Sometimes I think people watch too many highlights of the best receivers in the league (Chase, Jefferson, etc.) and expect every player to be able to routinely make plays like that. They can't. That's why those guys are unicorns/the best in the league. I do agree there were too many drops today (the Jets receivers helped their QB out more than ours helped Josh today), but I just think Bills fans go crazy on our players for drops, but seem to not pay attention to the same things happening in every other game, across the league every week. Like only our guys drop balls. And then start blaming them for any target that doesn't get caught, whether it was a bad throw or a great defensive play, etc.

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

We’re playing a tough schedule and I think many of the teams are better than we want to think. The Jets?  The Lions?  The Vikings?  Next the Dolphins.. none of these are easy teams to beat.   So, I agree, its been a lot of difficult wins against good teams.  I’ll take it. 

I get critical review of the game. But what does get old is when players are called out as garbage and the hyperbole despite the win.   If you read some posts, without knowing the score, you’d think we lost the last 4 games.   So i guess perspective is missing by some?  

next week is huge!

I don't disagree with what you are saying. However, it does cut the other way too. One could call out the garbage and hyperbole on so many here calling Bills blowouts and easy wins. Happens week after week. Of course, that wouldn't be seen in a positive light here. I suppose somewhere in the middle is more accurate. 

52 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Lol a team that loses the turnover differential by 2 and kicks a fg down 11 on a 4th and one in the red zone does not deserve to win. 

we’re talking smack about Dorsey when the jets made just about the worst coaching decision I’ve ever seen 

most of mike whites yards came in garbage time and we got conservative with a lead and won by 8…Mike white was not the better qb today 

That was not the best decision.

Not going to measure our coaching decisions by theirs, but think heir OC Lafleur overall is on a good trajectory.

They have had some terrible injuries across their OL and lost their rookie RB who was showing a lot of promise.

Still have stayed competitive, but that defense helps erase mistakes, much the same as ours this year.

Not a bad team and they are going to stay tough if they keep drafting the way they have.

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't disagree with what you are saying. However, it does cut the other way too. One could call out the garbage and hyperbole on so many here calling Bills blowouts and easy wins. Happens week after week. Of course, that wouldn't be seen in a positive light here. I suppose somewhere in the middle is more accurate. 

But to come on here and purposely crap on a win week after week as some do is getting old. We are winning games plain and simple. We are 10-3 ill say it again 10-3. There is no reason to be completely negative about every aspect of this team with that record.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Braedenstearns said:

Any updates on Diggs? Has anyone said if he is alright? I heard he pulled himself out of the game, which is weird for him

He was back in next series...may have been an equipment issue.

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He was on the field for the onside kick, hopefully it was nothing

I feel it was an equipment issue...unless he says something postgame

1 minute ago, BillzFreak said:

But to come on here and purposely crap on a win week after week as some do is getting old. We are winning games plain and simple. We are 10-3 ill say it again 10-3. There is no reason to be completely negative about every aspect of this team with that record.

And look at the way we have lost the 3 games...by 8 total points. Two miracles by the other teams and the Jets where we had every chance to put the game away.

Basically if the Bills don't beat themselves, it's very hard for other teams to do so, and this year, it hasn't happened yet.

13 minutes ago, Braedenstearns said:

Any updates on Diggs? Has anyone said if he is alright? I heard he pulled himself out of the game, which is weird for him

He comes off the field all the time.

He may have been pissed at Cook for missing a block that could have spring him for a huge play

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, folz said:

And there is a difference between a player making a catch when a ball isn't perfect (which Bills players do), and a player making a catch when a defender has one or two arms in the receiver's chest as the ball arrives. Of course, we would like to see our WRs make more contested catches, but again, there is a difference between say a jump ball (where a guy can out jump the defender) and a pass on the numbers when the defender is right there, with a hand in his body, trying to rip the ball out. 

Sometimes I think people watch too many highlights of the best receivers in the league (Chase, Jefferson, etc.) and expect every player to be able to routinely make plays like that. They can't. That's why those guys are unicorns/the best in the league. I do agree there were too many drops today (the Jets receivers helped their QB out more than ours helped Josh today), but I just think Bills fans go crazy on our players for drops, but seem to not pay attention to the same things happening in every other game, across the league every week. Like only our guys drop balls. And then start blaming them for any target that doesn't get caught, whether it was a bad throw or a great defensive play, etc.

Both plays the ball was in both hands prior to the defenders.  Both times they did not secure it.  Neither was a 50/50 play, they didn't hold on to it.

See my thread on this I put up yesterday.  Prescient.

Edited by Billsfan1972

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

This game was very close to being a blowout (like easily a 14 to 17-point win). Jets had some 50/50 plays that went their way. For example, if that Epenza fumble doesn’t miraculously fall into a jets player’s arms, or John Brown actually makes a contested catch, or the berrios slant at the goal line popped way up in the air is intercepted, this is a blowout.

Not saying that we can discount what actually happened, but it’s a few sort of random plays or bounces to being a blowout. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

Never understood the fans who said the Buffalo weather is an advantage for us.

Maybe 30 years ago when we had an O-line and Thurman Thomas, but not this offense.

If you build a team that excels in January Buffalo weather you’ll get slammed by the likes of the Fins and other fast offenses (Chiefs) when the weather is fine.

If you build a team like theirs then you’ll not excel in January Buffalo weather but compete most other games.

Quite the conundrum for Beane for long-term success. A retractable roof fixes all of it.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Dan said:

We’re playing a tough schedule and I think many of the teams are better than we want to think. The Jets?  The Lions?  The Vikings?  Next the Dolphins.. none of these are easy teams to beat.   So, I agree, its been a lot of difficult wins against good teams.  I’ll take it. 

I get critical review of the game. But what does get old is when players are called out as garbage and the hyperbole despite the win.   If you read some posts, without knowing the score, you’d think we lost the last 4 games.   So i guess perspective is missing by some?  

next week is huge!

We should have had todays game over by halftime.  Defense was smoking.  Offense couldn’t get out of their own way. 

I believe it was poor play calling at times, poor play on offense and the weather.  If we are going to go deep in the playoffs, we gotta fix some issues.

The worst for me was when Singletary rips off the 19 yard run.  Next play is first down with Singletary running out of the shotgun.  Why?  Our oline just had a great down and Devin had a great run!  He still got a few yards.  What do we do next?  Take the guy out who just ripped off a long run and put Cook in.  He still got a few yards, but keep the hot guy in.  On third down I looked at my son and said they better not run Josh here.  What happened?  Josh runs and gets stuffed.  Terrible play calling.

That Jets defense is excellent, maybe better than ours. Really impressive at all levels. But they didn't even need to be that good to slow our offense down. Our O-line is below average, Knox is ordinary, Gabe Davis is a very nice fourth or fifth WR, and MacKenzie should be on the practice-squad. Very few national commentators have realized that, outside of Allen and Diggs, this is a mediocre offense. Allen especially makes everyone else look far better than they are. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Airseven said:

The 2-year Spencer Brown experiment must end next spring. (Draft should be 100% offense and fill a couple D holes in free agency after franchising Edmunds.)

Keep him as a swing backup that can come in on short yardage as an extra lineman. He can run block.

• Agree 1

The concern with Diggs is we seem to struggle to scheme him free. Is it because defenses have little respect for the other options on offense, so they can really go hard on him? Somehow scheming him free more would make such a difference to Josh and the offense moving forwards.

12 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

We’re beating pretty good teams too…I’d rather beat the jets ugly than win comfortably against the Texans 

3 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

If you build a team that excels in January Buffalo weather you’ll get slammed by the likes of the Fins and other fast offenses (Chiefs) when the weather is fine.

If you build a team like theirs then you’ll not excel in January Buffalo weather but compete most other games.

Quite the conundrum for Beane for long-term success. A retractable roof fixes all of it.

"I love Buffalo for the December/January weather"  Said no one.....

• Haha (+1) 2

Take the positives from this game.

The defense looks fast and bailed the offense out numerous times.

Have to like our three young DEs that Beane drafted making plays. 

Outside of one TD run they stopped the Jets rushing game. 

Also, I like some of the hits the Bills are handing out - Poyer, Hamlin, Milano, Oliver, Lawson. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It was a W that felt like a loss. That first half was some of the worst offensive football this team has played in 5 years.

There is certainly work to do, play calling and execution were lacking to say the least, imo, Dorsey needs to look in the mirror, as do many others, but in the end we pulled it off, learn and move on. 

Go Bills!!!

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This game was very close to being a blowout (like easily a 14 to 17-point win). Jets had some 50/50 plays that went their way. For example, if that Epenza fumble doesn’t miraculously fall into a jets player’s arms, or John Brown actually makes a contested catch, or the berrios slant at the goal line popped way up in the air is intercepted, this is a blowout.

Not saying that we can discount what actually happened, but it’s a few sort of random plays or bounces to being a blowout. 

We must be watching different games. I never felt like the Bills were going to blowout the Jets. They had chances to close the game and didn't.

May I ask you about the Jets jumping Offside on 4th and 1? That "gift" lead to a Bills TD and a 7-0 halftime lead. Does that configure into your math equation? 

• Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, Dan said:

next week is huge!

I try not to get to up or down on players.

They are either playing up to their potential or not, playing through injuries factors of couse.

If they are playing their best, then it is up to the coaches to put them where they can have the most success. Dane looked better today in zone than he has when playing man.

Scheme, game plan, and situation/clock management I lay squarely on coaching in any game the good or the bad.

In wins I often think there are things that can be improved. I don't just look for those when we are handed a loss.

There are some real positives I could focus more on. Allen's play seems to be coming a bit more into focus since the GB game; some got away from him early, seemed to take some time to adjust to field conditions.

Special Teams has been solid this year. Punts have been solid as well as coverage, kicking game and FGs too.

Cook has shown some flash and I wish we could see some more plays designed to get the ball to him. The way he held on while taking the hit he took deserves some confidence and more touches.

Jones and the interior DL is vastly improved and our DEs are coming on at the right time.

Diggs is solid and is going to draw their best cover DB and help. Others need to step up as he creates the opportunities and space they should be able to exploit.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

The concern with Diggs is we seem to struggle to scheme him free. Is it because defenses have little respect for the other options on offense, so they can really go hard on him? Somehow scheming him free more would make such a difference to Josh and the offense moving forwards.

I think your point is correct. We need at least one other receiver to step up. Davis did last season, hopefully he will again.  McKenzie just can’t drop so many passes. I keep hoping Shakir will step up.  Almost every time I thought Josh threw a bad pass, the replay would show a good pass that was a drop or the defender outfighting the receiver.  Did we make any contested catches today?  

• Agree 2

The McBeane process has delivered to the fans a bunch of ballers.   The fight in this team is amazing.   Right there against all competition.  Every game. 

No Jags or Colts games this year.. no one is boat racin' this team this year nor is this team going to sleep in any game this year. 

Love what I am seeing the past 2-3 years, after 20 years of crap.   

We'd have a Lombardi by now if the jackass, fired ST coach doesn't sh-t the bed with 13 sec left.  

keep going bills! 

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Take the positives from this game.

The defense looks fast and bailed the offense out numerous times.

Have to like our three young DEs that Beane drafted making plays. 

Outside of one TD run they stopped the Jets rushing game. 

Also, I like some of the hits the Bills are handing out - Poyer, Hamlin, Milano, Oliver, Lawson. 

Defense is the key to winning big games. As frustrating as our offense was today, our defense really played well, especially when it counted.  The d-line wanted to show they’re very good, even without Von Miller. I think they showed they are. 

What I really liked about today's game was that we were the more physical team. The Jets kept the game in range, but physically, we beat them up pretty good. And not just Mike White. How about Dion's block on the TD run? Jets receivers were taking big shots all day. Lots of gang tackling, etc.

And I've seen a lot of posters calling out Dane Jackson (he sucks, he needs to sit, another bad game by Jackson). He didn't give up a TD, I never saw a receiver he was covering running free, and he had two really good plays late in the 4th quarter to help seal the win. What are you posters seeing that I am not? I'm not saying he is spectacular, but did I miss some really bad plays by him today? He came up big down the stretch.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

I get that. Many on here aren't crapping on the win. I'm so happy and at peace this Sunday because of the win.

I can't help but to be realistic about the team. It just doesn't seem like a Super Bowl team despite their winning. I guess it's all about how you see things. For example, look at the 10-3 Minn team. How many think they are a Super Bowl team? Tenn Titans Number 1 seed last year. See my point? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.