NFL Week #14 - Jets at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

1 hour ago, BillzFreak said:

And again you're trying analyze things you cannot. We have no idea how or who we will play in the playoffs. But live in the now the rightnow. We are 10-3 with a realistic shot to be the number 1 seed in the afc. Just because you don't see this team as Super Bowl caliber doesn't mean people who believe we are, are being unrealistic. We have flaws but every team has them as well. No team is perfect and only one team can win the whole thing and to sit here and say we don't have a good a shot as anyone is in my opinion a bad take.

That's fair. A lot of football to play. Right now, the Bills are right there with KC, Cinci, and Miami.  I'd say the top 3 AFC teams to beat are KC, Cinci, and Buffalo. Maybe I shouldn't say that because "I can't analyze things I cannot." If I'm allowed to say, I do think the Bills have a chance to go to the Super Bowl. Imho, they don't look to be playing Super Bowl caliber football despite their wins. To clarify, that's what I'm saying. I stand by that statement. Hopefully, the team will improve, execute, and play excellent football when the playoffs begin. Currently, I love the Bills 10-3 record and number 1 seed. However, I'm not satisfied or content with the way the team is playing on many levels. Perhaps, I am seeing things through the wrong lens. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

First off this was an excellent gut check win against a strong division opponent.  Take a look around the league today and you can see that these December division games can be tough.

The Bills are 10 - 3 and are in first place in their division and the AFC.  Last year after 13 games the Bills were 7 - 6.

In the off season the Bills must focus on getting another stud on offense. They are wasting a generational talent at QB by not swinging for the fences in the off season on offense.  They have only done it once and it was a home run with Diggs.  In hindsight, McCaffrey should have been a higher priority then he was.  He would have been a huge difference maker on this offense.

Today there were to many bad drops that forced us to punt.  A couple were routine catches that should have been made by Singleterry & McKenzie.  The others would have been tough, contested catches that were not made by Knox & Brown.  If they continue to drop these passes the Bills are going to lose a game they should not.

• Agree 7

6 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

This is my perception, too. So many people ready to jump off a ledge every week, no matter the result. So many people who are absolutely living in that last 13 seconds from the KC game last year. 

It’s tough when expectations were so high. I agree though, I have never, in all the years I have followed the Bills seen more fans anywhere I go. The Bandwagon is massive. 

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

First off this was an excellent gut check win against a strong division opponent.  Take a look around the league today and you can see that these December division games can be tough.

The Bills are 10 - 3 and are in first place in their division and the AFC.  Last year after 13 games the Bills were 7 - 6.

In the off season the Bills must focus on getting another stud on offense. They are wasting a generational talent at QB by not swinging for the fences in the off season on offense.  They have only done it once and it was a home run with Diggs.  In hindsight, McCaffrey should have been a higher priority then he was.  He would have been a huge difference maker on this offense.

Today there were to many bad drops that forced us to punt.  A couple were routine catches that should have been made by Singleterry & McKenzie.  The others would have been tough, contested catches that were not made by Knox & Brown.  If they continue to drop these passes the Bills are going to lose a game they should not.

I can forgive McKenzie for those drops, just because he is always going to be that sort of inconsistent player. 

But for more skilled guys like Knox and Brown— you would hope they could help their QB out and haul in a hard catch. For Brown, I have seen receivers every week make much harder and contested catches against us on a regular basis. Just about every completion against Dane involves Dane’s hand basically touching the ball! 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He needs to improve ASAP. This offense will NOT win come January let alone February 

Said the same thing about Daboll last year. Had more bad offensive games under him than we have under Dorsey.

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Cowboys needed a last second TD to beat the Texans who were up 23-20.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

Allen is also off. The attempts become contested because Allen is throwing short and behind. 

Allen threw great balls that were dropped to McKenzie, Singleterry and Brown.  Remember the 3rd & 16 strike to McKenzie down the sideline that would have went for 20 yards and a first down?  A perfect pass. The Brown pass was also fantastic and should have been caught at the one yard line

The pass to Knox was a bit short but he had his hands on the ball and should have come down with the catch. 

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That's fair. A lot of football to play. Right now, the Bills are right there with KC, Cinci, and Miami.  I'd say the top 3 AFC teams to beat are KC, Cinci, and Buffalo. Maybe I shouldn't say that because "I can't analyze things I cannot." If I'm allowed to say, I do think the Bills have a chance to go to the Super Bowl. Imho, they don't look to be playing Super Bowl caliber football despite their wins. To clarify, that's what I'm saying. I stand by that statement. Hopefully, the team will improve, execute, and play excellent football when the playoffs begin. Currently, I love the Bills 10-3 record and number 1 seed. However, I'm not satisfied or content with the way the team is playing on many levels. Perhaps, I am seeing things through the wrong lens. 

As a guy who raised and coached two boys in multiple sports growing up, it's like watching your kids play sports. You focus on their successes and failures very emotionally and non-objectively. We're emotionally invested in every play. If you watched other teams with the same kind of emotional investment, you'd see their same imperfections too. We all deal with our BBFS in different ways. Personally, after following this team for 50 years, I've learned to lower my expectations on things I can't control. It's helped my post-loss recovery time go from weeks to days to hours!

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Neither did I.  Who's saying that?

When you quoted their record as 7-5, I thought you were implying the Jets are a quality opponent. While they are quite good, I thought the Bills offense underperformed. And the Jets offense was more effective, until the Bills defense stepped up with a big play.

6 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

As a guy who raised and coached two boys in multiple sports growing up, it's like watching your kids play sports. You focus on their successes and failures very emotionally and non-objectively. We're emotionally invested in every play. If you watched other teams with the same kind of emotional investment, you'd see their same imperfections too. We all deal with our BBFS in different ways. Personally, after following this team for 50 years, I've learned to lower my expectations on things I can't control. It's helped my post-loss recovery time go from weeks to days to hours!

Sometimes I actually like to watch other teams with the same intensity as I watch the Bills. You know what? All teams have drops. All teams miss tackles. All OCs call plays they don’t work. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

So what would you call what just happened with Kansas City and a 3-9 Broncos team? 

Broncos country, let's ride!

Tre White did not look like pre injury White, getting burned quite a bit for short routes.  Milano and Edmunds was eating it up midfield 

46 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

This is what you get when your HC & GM refuse to value the OL. Allen masks the problems sometimes, and at other times, even he can’t hide the fact that this is a bottom 10 OL. 

They suck!!!

It’s not just the Oline, it’s everyone surrounding him besides Diggs. Wasting all these high picks on D and they hardly see the field. This hasn’t started with Elam, it’s been that way for years. Rousseau is the only guy recently that has made an impact early. Everyone else has been pampered along a slowly.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Just me or did Rousseau pack on some muscle? Looks pretty damn beefy there... And what a game.

Ha Ha; I thought the exact thing when I started playing that clip.  There is a considerable difference in his frame from last year to this, and that likely explains why he is winning at the line of scrimmage so often, he is elusive, powerful, and quick - basically he is turning into a beast. Thankfully.

He, by far, is the mvp of our DL and it really is not even close.  Lots of good support along the DL, but he is the premier player.

• Like (+1) 1

It was frustrating at times to watch.  Lots of drops by receivers for Buffalo (compared to the Jets who seemed more sure handed), along with drive killing penalties.  Josh seemed to be rather conservative with his passing compared to Mike White.  I believe White attempted and made more passes over 20 yards.  Still the weather made it tough for both offenses.  Under the circumstances, I'm very happy with the win.  The Jets are in the playoff hunt, and Buffalo won.  It's all good.  I do hope Buffalo's receivers can find something sticky to smear on their hands when the ball is cold and wet.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Agree. Draft has to be OL, WR and Dbs

I look around the league, and I don't see a lot of complete offensive lines. Most have a few solid starters and then fill in with UFAs, castoffs, and practic squad quality players as starters. Mobile QBs, strong running games, and getting the ball out faster helps mask a lot of shoddy OL play.

Dawkins took a step back since he was hospitalized with that long Covid stretch... just seems a bit off his game and just not as dominant although that was a nasty block he threw in the game to spring Allen. He is still a good LT. Brown is just in his second year and had back surgery so not sure what to expect from him. Bates is starting to grow into the guard role and he is a straight-up UFA development project we picked up from Philly.

I focused on Saffold's play this game and he is a liability in pass pro more often than not. The dude's feet seem like they are encased in cement - struggles lining up any blocks - if Boettger can go down the road, the Bills should seriously consider sitting Saffold.

Beane has not shown an ability to nail his OL drafts as yet or assess the talent he has (Ford/Teller), it would be great if he coud hit on a solid draft for a player that could play both Center and Guard and be above average at both positions. 

Edited by WideNine

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

If the recieivers just made catches they should have made we would have had 30 at least.

they said on the pregame radio show that Crowder was back practicing, he's a solid vet with good hands, maybe will see him in the last few games.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BigAl2526 said:

It was frustrating at times to watch.  Lots of drops by receivers for Buffalo (compared to the Jets who seemed more sure handed), along with drive killing penalties.  Josh seemed to be rather conservative with his passing compared to Mike White.  I believe White attempted and made more passes over 20 yards.  Still the weather made it tough for both offenses.  Under the circumstances, I'm very happy with the win.  The Jets are in the playoff hunt, and Buffalo won.  It's all good.  I do hope Buffalo's receivers can find something sticky to smear on their hands when the ball is cold and wet.

Agree but this Bills offense is confusing to me. What is their identity? Early in the year they were explosive. After 5 games, they were the number one offense in plays over 20 yards and long TDs. That's all but disappeared. Running is erratic and inconsistent. Anyone have a better perspective on this offense? 

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree but this Bills offense is confusing to me. What is their identity? Early in the year they were explosive. After 5 games, they were the number one offense in plays over 20 yards and long TDs. That's all but disappeared. Running is erratic and inconsistent. Anyone have a better perspective on this offense? 

I believe they have really drilled into Allen's head about taking care of the football better and as such he is being exceedingly safe now.

21 minutes ago, Process said:

Anyone know what the question was here?

A reporter asked why the offense was not as explosive (Superbowl calibre) as it has been in the past.

What is Allen going to say - was kind of crappy question... There have been some struggles that Allen has already owned, you have a new OC, and a lot of injuries across the board at key positions, and defenses are intent on taking away anything deep - although that early pass to Brown is caught if not thrown in a downpour - I don't care how much ground Sauce made up.

We get our shots, but it has not all come together yet - there are execution issues and game planning issues that they are going to need to overcome to start to see more dominant results. Seemed like a trap question and Allen treated like one.

Edited by WideNine

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

This is what you get when your HC & GM refuse to value the OL. Allen masks the problems sometimes, and at other times, even he can’t hide the fact that this is a bottom 10 OL. 

They suck!!!

The Bills are 10-4, riding a 4 game win streak.  They are currently the #1 seed in the AFC.

If this is what we get when our "HC and GM refuse to value the OL", I'll take it.  I would rather see them draft some OL in the early rounds next year, but if this is what we get when we don't, I don't know.....  🤔

6 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Great for Tre, but Elam is criminal at this point. 

He looked good.

He started off a bit slow, but seemed to get more comfortable as the game progressed - really happy for him.

Elam is a rookie, and some time to reflect and focus on what the defensive staff are trying to teach him will be good for him. Folks expect rookies to start - especially first rounders these days so they can get the most out of those rookie deals, but it is never a lock that they can hit the ground running.

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Josh Allen had that rough patch where he through too many interceptions.  With the weather turning miserable, I think he's trying to be cautious, maybe too much so at times.  Or maybe it's Dorsey who's being cautious.  There will certainly be a game coming up where Buffalo needs to be able to compete in a shootout, Cincinnati, if not Miami.  The Bills will also need their offense to be running smoothly in the playoffs. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Process said:

Anyone know what the question was here?

No question.   Sullivan told Allen the offense isn’t Super Bowl caliber right now. 

…and while I don’t think Allen should have to answer that, I kind of love that he did….

I hope it reverberated through the locker room.  

Because it was disrespectful, but also very true.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.