Bills finally sign a Safety: Jared Mayden

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

that's frustrating for them. some of these guys come in and make a difference then get kicked to the curb. prince emili had the same thing

i hope they enjoyed their time, though. i'm glad we had them and they served admirably.

Eh, they're on speed dial.

36 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

that's frustrating for them. some of these guys come in and make a difference then get kicked to the curb. prince emili had the same thing

i hope they enjoyed their time, though. i'm glad we had them and they served admirably.

It's a numbers game with the bottom of the roster/PS and injuries a lot of times.

That doesn't bode well for Poyer playing.

Edited by Big Turk

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's a numbers game with the bottom of the roster/PS and injuries a lot of times.

That doesn't bode well for Poyer playing.

I think it is also because Ingram was called up twice and cannot be called up again.  We simply need practice bodies, and this might be a sign of that.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I think it is also because Ingram was called up twice and cannot be called up again.  We simply need practice bodies, and this might be a sign of that.

Yep it's this I suspect. But Emili, Bryant and now Ingram have all played more than expected and not been liabilities out there (Bryant was actually decent). Even if it is not with the Bills I hope that serves them well for the rest of their NFL career. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep it's this I suspect. But Emili, Bryant and now Ingram have all played more than expected and not been liabilities out there (Bryant was actually decent). Even if it is not with the Bills I hope that serves them well for the rest of their NFL career. 

Totally agree.  I'll add that the kind of crappy part was practicing Bryant all week and then cutting him on Friday.  (I believe that's what happened, at least.). I'm not sure if he was paid for last week. 

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I believe I saw they signed Ingram to the 53 prior to last weeks game

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

I’m sure they won’t be too upset when they get their SB Rings at the end of the year. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

From what i can tell - once you use someone on the PS a couple of times, you eventually have to either move them to the active roster or move them off the PS entirely.  

So for someone like Ingram or Emili, you get some NFL film - but you get released because they can't bring you back on the roster again.  

6 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

From what i can tell - once you use someone on the PS a couple of times, you eventually have to either move them to the active roster or move them off the PS entirely.  

So for someone like Ingram or Emili, you get some NFL film - but you get released because they can't bring you back on the roster again.  

I don't think this is quite right.

For years and years, you could keep someone on the practice squad, sign them to the 53 man roster when you had an opening (someone went on IR or was cut), then cut them and resign them to the PS.  If they are subject to waivers, they must clear waivers.

Starting with 2020, teams got to elevate 2 players per week in addition to the 53 man roster, and they reverted to the practice squad without waivers.  This can only happen 3x per player.

But you can still elevate players from the PS to the 53 man roster, you just have to make a space on the 53 man roster and they need to clear waivers to be re-signed to the PS once cut. 

Other things being equal, if there are several guys they rate equally they'll keep guys they can still elevate.  But I don't think anyone who has been cut has had all 3 elevations used yet.  Emili had 2 of 3.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So there's also this:

Bryant must have cleared waivers, since he was previously signed to the 53 man roster and it's Tuesday.

But what this may mean, is that we have more need for a DT and a DB currently.  Since we needed to sign Ingram in order to go into the game with 8 DBs, this would imply we are gonna get someone back for the next game.  It's also possible they feel they'll get Benford back though I woulda thought after the bye more likely.  Knox missed 3 weeks (2 games).

On the other hand, I'm concerned signing Bryant is not a good look for the DL.  Phillips may be back to inactive, or even go on IR.

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

The rule for this year is 3 call-ups. 

Hate to use a Chiefs source but

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-2022-roster-cuts-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary/

Ingram was also signed to the 53 man roster when they IR'd Crowder.

I don't think we have any current or former PS member who has used up their 3 callups.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, hemma said:

Looks like a starter his senior year at Alabama. Good speed, good size. Could be someone the Bills look to develop over the long haul. 

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

For years and years, you could keep someone on the practice squad, sign them to the 53 man roster when you had an opening (someone went on IR or was cut), then cut them and resign them to the PS.  If they are subject to waivers, they must clear waivers.

Starting with 2020, teams got to elevate 2 players per week in addition to the 53 man roster, and they reverted to the practice squad without waivers.  This can only happen 3x per player.

But you can still elevate players from the PS to the 53 man roster, you just have to make a space on the 53 man roster and they need to clear waivers to be re-signed to the PS once cut. 

Other things being equal, if there are several guys they rate equally they'll keep guys they can still elevate.  But I don't think anyone who has been cut has had all 3 elevations used yet.  Emili had 2 of 3.

So there's also this:

Bryant must have cleared waivers, since he was previously signed to the 53 man roster and it's Tuesday.

But what this may mean, is that we have more need for a DT and a DB currently.  Since we needed to sign Ingram in order to go into the game with 8 DBs, this would imply we are gonna get someone back for the next game.  It's also possible they feel they'll get Benford back though I woulda thought after the bye more likely.  Knox missed 3 weeks (2 games).

On the other hand, I'm concerned signing Bryant is not a good look for the DL.  Phillips may be back to inactive, or even go on IR.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-2022-roster-cuts-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary/

I don't think we have any current or former PS member who has used up their 3 callups.

From what I can tell around the league, teams are not using that third call-up. They either cut or sign after the second one. 

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So there's also this:

Few things:

1. Signing Bryant back to 53: I don't think this is immediately related to Phillips, he returned to the game and looked fine after.  I think it's more of a insurance policy, as Bryant already used 2 call ups from PS, and likely someone else interested in learning signing him.

2. Safety to PS: we had open spots because of releasing Prince and CJ.  I don't think this means anything for Poyer, just a numbers thing for practice right now.  Struggled to have enough DBs last week in practice.

3. CB: releasing Ingram, I think they hope he returns to PS.  He has used 1 call up.  I think this is a potential sign that Benford could return this week, will see.

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Few things:

1. Signing Bryant back to 53: I don't think this is immediately related to Phillips, he returned to the game and looked fine after.  I think it's more of a insurance policy, as Bryant already used 2 call ups from PS, and likely someone else interested in learning signing him.

2. Safety to PS: we had open spots because of releasing Prince and CJ.  I don't think this means anything for Poyer, just a numbers thing for practice right now.  Struggled to have enough DBs last week in practice.

3. CB: releasing Ingram, I think they hope he returns to PS.  He has used 1 call up.  I think this is a potential sign that Benford could return this week, will see.

KC has 3 decent backs and has had some success running the ball this season.  Reid will try and run on us.  IMO that is why Bryant was called up.  Another big body, and good on short yardage situations

28 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So there's also this:

bryant and prince emily were 3 time call ups.   i think ingram was too.

Where has he been playing or practicing since the 2021 draft?

lol...the internet is our friend.

Professional career:

San Francisco 49ers

Mayden was signed by the San Francisco 49ers as an undrafted free agent on April 28, 2020.[4] He was waived on September 5, 2020, and signed to the practice squad the next day.[5][6] He was elevated to the active roster on October 24 and November 14 for the team's weeks 7 and 10 games against the New England Patriots and New Orleans Saints, and reverted to the practice squad after each game.[7][8] He was placed on the practice squad/injured list on November 17, 2020.[9] He signed a reserve/future contract on January 6, 2021.[10]

On August 31, 2021, Mayden was waived by the 49ers and re-signed to the practice squad the next day.[11][12] He was released on October 18.[13]

Philadelphia Eagles

On October 26, 2021, Mayden was signed to the Philadelphia Eagles practice squad.[14] He signed a reserve/future contract with the Eagles on January 18, 2022.[15] He was waived/injured on August 16 and placed on injured reserve.[16] He was released on September 20.

Buffalo Bills

On October 10, 2022, Mayden was signed to the Buffalo Bills practice squad.

Edited by The Tomcat

For most teams, adding a UDFA safety to the practice squad wouldn't be noteworthy.

However, for a team whose coaches have identified and developed 5th and 7th rounders Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer, 7th rounder Kurt Coleman, got a lot of mileage out of UDFA Dean Marlowe, and seem to be developing 6th rounders Damar Hamlin and Jaquan Johnson into quality NFL starters....

Maybe this signing isn't nothing.

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

bryant and prince emily were 3 time call ups.   i think ingram was too.

I don't think so. 

We've only finished week 5, there were no call ups week 1, and none of them were elevated every week.  Bryant and Emili were signed to the 53 man roster, Emili for 1 week, Bryant for 2 (I think - the Buffalo Bills PR twitter and Buffalo Bills transactions differ on this point)

But it's not exactly simple to follow.

I had the energy on this to go through the transactions and PR twitter and put together a list.  I put it up in another post if you're interested.

Edit: here's the link since I expect it to fall off the front page PDQ

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Few things:

I thought so too, but apparently not. I was at the game and saw him looking fine on the sidelines after the injury, and he did go back into the game. But the report I saw is that he took himself out after a couple of snaps because he was ineffective due to the hammy.

Doesn't mean he won't be back in time for this week, but I would guess not. Bills staff have generally taken the long view and will probably rest him to get him back to 100% for the rest of the season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

For most teams, adding a UDFA safety to the practice squad wouldn't be noteworthy.

However, for a team whose coaches have identified and developed 5th and 7th rounders Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer, 7th rounder Kurt Coleman, got a lot of mileage out of UDFA Dean Marlowe, and seem to be developing 6th rounders Damar Hamlin and Jaquan Johnson into quality NFL starters....

Maybe this signing isn't nothing.

Had the same thought.  With the way we develop safeties, at a minimum, it should be a good thing for one Jared Mayden (and possibly his next employer).

• Like (+1) 2

He sounds more athletic than Jaquan Johnson.  This gives Buffalo 2 safeties on the 53 man roster and 1 on the PS.  That's probably the right number to carry.  They've also got a couple guys who are designated as DBs.  Kyler McMichael is similar in size to Mayden.  Jordan Millerr is taller, but pretty slender.  Both are generally seen as cornerbacks.  Just looking at the numbers of CBs and safeties on the roster and PS, the balance is better with the release of Ingram and signing Mayden.

52 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Few things:

Oh did he?  I didn't see, but if he hadn't that would have left us short a 3TDT.  He played 28% of the snaps, which is low for him.  I hope you're right that he's fine, and of course you could be right that signing Bryant indicates someone was sniffing around him

I *think* Bryant has only used 1 call-up.  He is listed as "elevated from the PS" 2x, but he had been signed to the 53 man roster along with Emili the previous week, and there's a transaction where Emili was cut but nothing about Bryant being cut.  So I think the dude running the PR twitter made a mistake and didn't realize Bryant was still on the 53 man roster.

Here's the thing though.  They needed Ingram just to go into the Steelers game with 8 healthy DBs.  Cutting Ingram carries some risk that he won't clear waivers.  So I think if they weren't pretty comfortable they'd get Poyer back, they would have held onto Ingram to allow Lewis to remain the backup safety instead of switching to backup CB. 

It says (possibly) that the Bills are more concerned about healthy bodies at DT than at DB right now.

If he returns to PS they gotta kick someone else off.  Ankou would get my vote, but we'll see.

Welp, then!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Oh did he?  I didn't see, but if he hadn't that would have left us short a 3TDT.  He played 28% of the snaps, which is low for him.  I hope you're right that he's fine, and of course you could be right that signing Bryant indicates someone was sniffing around him

I *think* Bryant has only used 1 call-up.  He is listed as "elevated from the PS" 2x, but he had been signed to the 53 man roster along with Emili the previous week, and there's a transaction where Emili was cut but nothing about Bryant being cut.  So I think the dude running the PR twitter made a mistake and didn't realize Bryant was still on the 53 man roster.

Here's the thing though.  They needed Ingram just to go into the Steelers game with 8 healthy DBs.  Cutting Ingram carries some risk that he won't clear waivers.  So I think if they weren't pretty comfortable they'd get Poyer back, they would have held onto Ingram to allow Lewis to remain the backup safety instead of switching to backup CB. 

It says (possibly) that the Bills are more concerned about healthy bodies at DT than at DB right now.

If he returns to PS they gotta kick someone else off.  Ankou would get my vote, but we'll see.

Welp, then!

guess we're cycling through PS WRs seeing if we can find a hit.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

guess we're cycling through PS WRs seeing if we can find a hit.

Yep

All time reception leader at Fresno State

Late round pick of the Cards in 2019

Wonder if Josh knew him or knew of him at all.  He went to HS in Palo Alto though.  4.6 40 yd time, so not as fast as 4.43 Jaquarii Roberson.

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Welp, then!

I think we currently have 15 on the practice squad with these two...unless I missed something.  Nope we are at 17.  My spreadsheet formula didn't update.

Edited by jkeerie

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

He sounds more athletic than Jaquan Johnson.  This gives Buffalo 2 safeties on the 53 man roster and 1 on the PS.  That's probably the right number to carry.  They've also got a couple guys who are designated as DBs.  Kyler McMichael is similar in size to Mayden.  Jordan Millerr is taller, but pretty slender.  Both are generally seen as cornerbacks.  Just looking at the numbers of CBs and safeties on the roster and PS, the balance is better with the release of Ingram and signing Mayden.

I think the Bills consider Cam Lewis a safety, or at least a cross over between DB and safety.   Currently listed as the backup to both NCB Taron Johnson and to S Jordan Poyer.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.