Josh Allen's Incredible Accuracy Makes the Bills Unstoppable (article)

Logic

Nice read. I'll post a couple snippets.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/9/9/23344053/buffalo-bills-los-angeles-rams-josh-allen-von-miller

The Bills didn’t punt. Again.

Last season there were 285 NFL games in the regular season and playoffs, meaning there were 570 individual team games. Eleven times, an offense managed to go all game without punting—that’s just 1.9 percent of all team games. The Buffalo Bills have now done it four times in their past six games, dating back to Week 16 of last season. They didn’t punt in their 33-21 win over the Patriots in Week 16, or in their 29-15 win over the Falcons in Week 17. Their wild-card playoff game against the Pats was arguably the greatest offensive performance in NFL history—seven drives, seven touchdowns, no field goals, turnovers, turnovers on downs, or punts. The Chiefs ended Buffalo’s season in the divisional round, but it feels unfair to say Kansas City stopped Josh Allen—after all, Allen left the game with the lead and 13 seconds remaining. (You know what happened next.)

Thursday night, Buffalo opened the 2022 NFL season by crushing the defending Super Bowl champion Rams, 31-10. They converted nine of 10 third downs, becoming just the fourth team in the past 40 years to hit on 90 percent of third downs. Their new punter, Sam Martin, got paid to visit L.A. and hold on some field goals and extra points. He should’ve brought one of those frozen margarita mixers down to the sideline.

It feels like I’m being metaphorical or hyperbolic when I say the Bills are unstoppable. But they didn’t punt. Again. For the fourth time in six games. They are more likely to not punt than they are to punt....

....The Bills scored 21 unanswered points in the second half. Allen finished the game 26-of-31 with three touchdowns, plus the rushing score. He throws for accuracy, he throws deep balls, he runs over dudes, he makes perfect throws on the run. What the hell can you do to stop him?

NFL teams have five months to figure that out—but I don’t like their chances. Meanwhile, the Bills’ punter has five months to figure out what the hell he’s supposed to do on the sideline of these games. He should consider turning the kicking net into a hammock, although it’s probably gonna be hard to nap when his teammates are going nuts for touchdowns all the time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 10

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It’s easy to get caught up in the hyperbole. Let’s celebrate but take a page out of the player’s book. This was one game and it was not perfect. 

All those turnovers likely contributed to the lack of a punt, as well.  So that stat is kind of doubled edged.

You can't punt if you give the ball away instead.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It’s easy to get caught up in the hyperbole. Let’s celebrate but take a page out of the player’s book. This was one game and it was not perfect. 

I respect that approach, and I will respectfully not be following it.

Am I predicting a Super Bowl trophy after last night's game? Not necessarily. Am I going to bask in the superlatives and admiration from national analysts and fans after the Bills continued to make NFL history (just the fourth 90% 3rd down conversion rate game in 40 years, no punts in four of last six games), and soak up every bit of joy and happiness that comes along with having a generational QB and the best roster in the league -- ESPECIALLY after enduring a 17 year period of bad football and national irrelevance? Hell yes.

Besides, the players need to say "on to next week" and not get caught up in the press clippings. The fans do not need to follow that model. Overly excited fans aren't going to cause the Bills to lose football games.

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Didn't the Ringer just tell us he had questionable accuracy?

Different writer. That was Steven Ruiz, who is a butthole. This is Rodger Sherman, who USED to be a butthole, but has repeatedly eaten crow regarding his "Allen will never be any good" takes from 2018 draft season.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

All those turnovers likely contributed to the lack of a punt, as well.  So that stat is kind of doubled edged.

You can't punt if you give the ball away instead.

You can't assume that.  We may have scored on each of those possessions where the ball was turned over.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, longtimebillsfan said:

You can't assume that.  We may have scored on each of those possessions where the ball was turned over.

It's possible, but drives end in punts more than they end in scores, don't they?

I'm just playing with probability here.  Having said that, we did a lot of scoring all night, so maybe last night, we WOULD have scored.

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Far from it, but the domination of the other team(who happened to be the reigning SB Champ btw) even while a lot of improvements can be made was stunning.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen was great.  The int on the pass to Crowder was part on Allen and part on Crowder for not coming back to the ball and breaking it up.   The reason I say that it was part on Allen is that he had more time to throw on that play than any other play all game.  I watch most games on TV, but was at the game and high up on the 50 yard line.  Could see every play develop in a unique way that you don't get to see on TV.  Allen could have run on that play.   He could have dumped it off.  He could have waited to find a receiver who was more open.  He had a totally clean pocket and could have gone through his reads again.  Instead he chose to throw to a guy who was pretty well coverd.   But that was one bad play in a game full of stellar ones.

The back shoulder throw to Diggs along the sideline on third and long was a piece of mastery.  It was the most incredible throw he made all day.  The deep throws to Diggs and Davis were not great THROWS per se (for exmaple, he didn't hit Diggs in stride), but they didn't need to be.  They were amazing PLAYS in which he scrambled, manipulated the defense, and got the ball downfield to the open receiver.  It was a true clinic in quarterbacking.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Bills didn't punt because they had 4 turnovers.

No that is not factual.  Without the 4 turnovers the Bills may have scored 4 more times.

They were in FG range on 2 of those turnovers.

Do I exaggerate?  

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Pat McAfee basically called Josh a”Stone Cold Killer” and thankful to be alive during the Josh Allen Era.

I mean how do you defend what we saw last night? The accuracy and speed on some of those throws were off the chart. 

That Diggs back shoulder 3rd down conversion against Ramsey was beautiful. I was blown away. Straight Perfection from both

• Like (+1) 5

48 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Allen was great.  The int on the pass to Crowder was part on Allen and part on Crowder for not coming back to the ball and breaking it up.   The reason I say that it was part on Allen is that he had more time to throw on that play than any other play all game.  I watch most games on TV, but was at the game and high up on the 50 yard line.  Could see every play develop in a unique way that you don't get to see on TV.  Allen could have run on that play.   He could have dumped it off.  He could have waited to find a receiver who was more open.  He had a totally clean pocket and could have gone through his reads again.  Instead he chose to throw to a guy who was pretty well coverd.   But that was one bad play in a game full of stellar ones.

The back shoulder throw to Diggs along the sideline on third and long was a piece of mastery.  It was the most incredible throw he made all day.  The deep throws to Diggs and Davis were not great THROWS per se (for exmaple, he didn't hit Diggs in stride), but they didn't need to be.  They were amazing PLAYS in which he scrambled, manipulated the defense, and got the ball downfield to the open receiver.  It was a true clinic in quarterbacking.

I get what you're saying but disagree completely on not a great throw to Diggs.  He was on the run with only his right toes on the ground when he launched that 50 yarder.  I feel like your reference for a great throw there is a qb setup in a pocket with a good base and letting it rip.  It was a GREAT throw.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The Ringer is great and the fact that many of their writers are now doing a 180 and acknowledging Allen will make for the fun reading. Joking about the punter was hilarious. But I know you guys have a real issue about the National media and how they respond to the Bills.

Most of the problem that I think Bills fans have is that the National media really don't watch or follow the Bills at all (I don't expect them to watch all 15-16 games every week, it's really not possible.  And I know some of these writers are responsible for specific regions so they need to feed their audience first). 

The problem is they look at the highlights and the stat lines and just come to the same conclusion most of the time.  The playoffs last year and the opener yesterday likely made more people want to actually watch the games instead of checking the stat sheet and highlights of the game.  A bunch of them have already changed their tune about them and they know they are fun to watch.

20 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Most of the problem that I think Bills fans have is that the National media really don't watch or follow the Bills at all (I don't expect them to watch all 15-16 games every week, it's really not possible.  And I know some of these writers are responsible for specific regions so they need to feed their audience first). 

The problem is they look at the highlights and the stat lines and just come to the same conclusion most of the time.  The playoffs last year and the opener yesterday likely made more people want to actually watch the games instead of checking the stat sheet and highlights of the game.  A bunch of them have already changed their tune about them and they know they are fun to watch.

And Bills fans don't need to always take it personally.

I listen to Bill always and he tries to talk himself into things, especially concerning his Boston teams.  Since the Bills are in their division, he always  tries hard and already tried to talk "down" Allen.  Expect Sunday he'll be saying something different (dependent on how Mac does vs. the Dolphins).

Again never let the highs be too high or the lows too low.....

1 hour ago, CoudyBills said:

I get what you're saying but disagree completely on not a great throw to Diggs.  He was on the run with only his right toes on the ground when he launched that 50 yarder.  I feel like your reference for a great throw there is a qb setup in a pocket with a good base and letting it rip.  It was a GREAT throw.

It was a great throw.  Both long balls (Davis and Diggs) were perfectly imperfect throws.  Both throws were slightly underthrown but allowed the receiver to adjust and make the play.  These were the kind of throws that Josh might have launched early in his career and would end up incomplete.  Now, he's giving the receivers a chance.  Trust and let players make plays.     

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And Bills fans don't need to always take it personally.

I listen to Bill always and he tries to talk himself into things, especially concerning his Boston teams.  Since the Bills are in their division, he always  tries hard and already tried to talk "down" Allen.  Expect Sunday he'll be saying something different (dependent on how Mac does vs. the Dolphins).

Again never let the highs be too high or the lows too low.....

I agree there are too many that do take it personally but there are plenty Bills fans that wear their heart on their sleeve when it comes to the team and I honestly have no problem with it.  Every team has those fans.  A bunch of twitter stuff from last night and today was comments from plays of the game where Allen was Allen and the KC fans were "13 seconds" and "what has he won?" from other team fans.  There will always be those fans.  Some people just deal with it differently.

Edited by The Wiz

15 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I agree there are too many that do take it personally but there are plenty Bills fans that wear their heart on their sleeve when it comes to the team and I honestly have no problem with it.  Every team has those fans.  A bunch of twitter stuff from last night and today was comments from plays of the game where Allen as Allen and the KC fans were "13 seconds" and "what has he won?" from other team fans.  There will always be those fans.  Some people just deal with it differently.

Stupidest I heard was that Allen hasn't won a playoff game on the road.......  Geez OT loss to Houston & KC and that other KC loss.......  BTW Mahomes has never won a playoff game not at Arrowhead.....😝   

Edited by Billsfan1972

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Stupidest I heard was that Allen hasn't won a playoff game on the road.......  Geez OT loss to Houston & KC and that other KC loss.......  BTW Mahomes has never won a playoff game as the visiting team either.....😝   

Well now you sound like those Twitter folk.😝

But yea, that's kind of the point of taking offense to dumb stuff.   Say that to a chiefs fan and they will throw 13 secs and we won a championship against you.   Some people just like to howl at the moon.

Edited by The Wiz

3 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

What I was getting at is that the balls on the long throws to Diggs and Davis were a little bit underthrown.  Both guys had to hesistate slightly to haul the balls in.  So they weren't perfect throws, but they were still amazing plays be Allen.  I understand that Allen was on the move and being pursued by a defender, which is WHY the balls were slightly underthrown.  I'm in no way being critical of Allen.  90% of QBs in NFL history can't make those throws AT ALL.  Both were amazing plays on his part.  In comparison to the long balls, however, the third down throw to Diggs on the left sideline in the 1st half was truly perfect.  Diggs was very tightly covered and the ball was placed such that only he could get to it.  It was the classic, perfectly-executed "back shoulder" throw.  It was the perfect combination of timing, velocity, and accuracy.

I'm not one of those people trying to nitpick and find fault in the Bills after a fantastic win.  I was simply trying to explain what was, in my opinion, the best throw of the game and why, and compared it to some other throws to make the point.  Allen is fu%*&ng awesome and I love everything about this team! 

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

What I was getting at is that the balls on the long throws to Diggs and Davis were a little bit underthrown.  Both guys had to hesistate slightly to haul the balls in.  So they weren't perfect throws, but they were still amazing plays be Allen.  I understand that Allen was on the move and being pursued by a defender, which is WHY the balls were slightly underthrown.  I'm in no way being critical of Allen.  90% of QBs in NFL history can't make those throws AT ALL.  Both were amazing plays on his part.  In comparison to the long balls, however, the third down throw to Diggs on the left sideline in the 1st half was truly perfect.  Diggs was very tightly covered and the ball was placed such that only he could get to it.  It was the classic, perfectly-executed "back shoulder" throw.  It was the perfect combination of timing, velocity, and accuracy.

I'm not one of those people trying to nitpick and find fault in the Bills after a fantastic win.  I was simply trying to explain what was, in my opinion, the best throw of the game and why, and compared it to some other throws to make the point.  Allen is fu%*&ng awesome and I love everything about this team! 

Yep, totally get it.  I wasn't trying to be a jerk.

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I understand that Allen was on the move and being pursued by a defender, which is WHY the balls were slightly underthrown.

I'm not sure that's why the balls were slightly underthrown.

I think Allen has dedicated himself to making a concerted effort this year not to overthrow his deep shots and let his guys make plays on the ball.

They left some yards and points on the field last year when he was playing it a little too safe on his deep shots, and I think he recognized that and decided to make that one of his points of emphasis in the offseason.

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Good for Josh, great for the Bills.

We really need the #1 seed this year.

Agreed. Don’t like the current playoff method. I know it’s in a transient mode as at least another regular season game will be added soon, but 7 teams now make the playoffs from each Conference and only ONE gets a Bye?? Poor planning, imo.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Granted, the int on the pass to Crowder was a poor decision by Josh but it was mostly about a DB making one helluva play than it was about anything else. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.