Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

1 minute ago, Kmart128 said:

I dont think so for 3 reasons.

1. This has been investigated for a year and no criminal charges have been handed out yet.

2. Araizas Lawyer is denying that he was even in the Bedroom

3. Sounds like Bills looked into the situation  previously 

It's possible the Bills thought it could be settled behind closed doors like whatever that thing with Von Miller was a couple months ago. Obviously ***** has blown up now.

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Haack signed with the Colts yesterday

Id be much more furious with the PR team said “thoroughly loved investigated matter”, because that means at MINIMUM the Bills know he had sex with an underage girl 

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Do not rush to judgement.

The Bills are already saying they knew about it soooo

2 minutes ago, Process said:

For those saying the Bills must have known.....zero chance. They aren't risking the culture they've spent years building for a freaking punter.

Or cutting the current punter with knowledge of this incident. 

19 minutes ago, Beast said:

I just read the article. She did file a pllice report before this.

I can tell you this, with the alleged audio call (recorded) to Araiza, and his remarks from that call, this does not look good at all. Mark my word, the boy is going to get arrested.

He is at the very least going to be had for a statutory rape charge and maybe a lot worse.

Let me start off by saying that if the allegations are true, he deserves to be buried under the prison.

But the phone call that "does not look good" for him?  Hypothetically if he was innocent, and she's suddenly asking weirdly pointed questions about their encounter over the phone when you know an investigation had already been opened, I don't blame even an innocent man to be having massive alarms screaming "SHUT YOUR MOUTH SAY NOTHING FUTHER TO HER" in his head.  Innocent or not, YOU DO NOT TALK TO POLICE, and it's not unreasonable to assume she was being directed by police on that call.  Police/investigators are very good at getting even innocent people they have their sights on to say things that could be twisted and construed into being evidence against them.  Talking to police, even if you are 100% innocent, can LITERALLY do nothing to help you.

As for statutory rape in California, their laws are kind of insane.  I don't have much to say about this case in that regard because she has to prove she was telling the truth in that he knew she was under 18, but their law is ridiculous.  You and your girlfriend could both be 17 in California, with your gf being exactly 1 day younger than you.  Every day you have sex and it's apparently perfectly fine.  That is, until your 18th birthday, AND ONLY ON THAT SPECIFIC DAY, it is suddenly illegal to have sex with her.  Then the next day she also turns 18, and all is good again.  The "Romeo and Juliet exception" would reduce your punishment, but there would still be a charge.

• Agree 1

Just now, Process said:

For those saying the Bills must have known.....zero chance. They aren't risking the culture they've spent years building for a freaking punter.

No. The investigation was kept quiet. No one knew or else this would’ve been a huge story. There was a tweet at Matt a month ago but it never made it to Buffalo media for whatever reason. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Where does he say he had sex with her?

https://www.totalprosports.com/2022/08/25/bills-punter-matt-araiza-accused-with-other-players-in-horrific-gang-sexual-assault-lawsuit/

The 22-year-old Araiza was accused of having sex with the minor outside the home and then bringing her inside to a room where she was repeatedly raped.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Edit:

I opened my yap too soon.

Apparently, in California, the age of consent is actually 18

https://www.newmanallen.com/blog/2021/august/what-is-the-age-of-consent-in-california-/

And there is no "Romeo and Juliet" exemption

So in Cali, apparently if two high school students under 18 have sex after the prom, that's rape?

No one of them has to be over 18

2 minutes ago, Process said:

It’s  also inexcusable that they didn’t know. They need to answer some serious questions regarding this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

1. This has been investigated for a year and no criminal charges have been handed out yet.

1. True, but still sets up a potential lengthy suspension...for a rookie punter.

2. Irrelevant

3. Best point

4. Hopefully Bills won't give in to any sort of public/ESPN pressure to cut him prematurely. They should stand by their assessment of the situation - the fact it goes public changes nothing factually - and let the process play out.

Edited by Airseven
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, appoo said:

You realize he admitted to statutory rape right?

https://www.cwsdefense.com/blog/2020/june/exceptions-to-californias-statutory-rape-laws/#:~:text=In California%2C it is illegal,informed consent to sexual activities.

Matt was 22 when this incident happened. At BEST - a drunk girl started talking to him, and he didn’t bother to get her age, and decided the best course of action was to have sex with her, and that drink girl was 17. Someone who was over 20% younger than him - senior in college. 

He shouldn’t be on this team

#hedidthemath 

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Edit:

https://www.newmanallen.com/blog/2021/august/what-is-the-age-of-consent-in-california-/

So in Cali, apparently if two high school students under 18 have sex after the prom, that's rape?

No, one of the actors has to be 18.

Edited by Beast

8 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

big question I have….if they have DNA,they should have tested people accused by now. And they should have been charges by now.

it’s always innocent until proven guilty.

she mentioned his name because she probably already knew him at the party.  That does not mean he is the one who did it.

by the way, he’s now in the NFL so lawyer is willing to sue because he does have money. See if they can settle for a payday.

"No arrests have been made and San Diego police have not publicly identified any suspects. Detectives recently submitted their investigation to the San Diego County district attorney’s office to determine whether charges should be filed."

"At the request of police, she made pretext calls — recorded by detectives — with the men named in the lawsuit whom police “had determined were present in the room when the rape occurred.” Araiza, the complaint alleged, confirmed on a call in late October that they had sex and recommended she get tested for a sexually transmitted disease."

Doesn't sound like a shakedown.

She went to the cops soon after, then the hospital.  The school dragged it's feet, the SDPD seems to be slow rolling this, so she decided to sue to get it out there.  Puts the pressure on the DA.   Since she was underage, consent isn't an issue.  It's at least statutory rape.  Since at the time of the attack, he was more than 3 years older than her, it's a felony.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

It's possible the Bills thought it could be settled behind closed doors like whatever that thing with Von Miller was a couple months ago. Obviously ***** has blown up now.

I don’t think they knew until maybe the last couple days. Typically a reporter will contact the team for comment before running the story. 

2 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

They're a little evasive about where and when they learned about it

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t think they knew until maybe the last couple days. Typically a reporter will contact the team for comment before running the story. 

In that case surely someone would have been in touch when the story broke on 30th July?

6 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

1.The criminal investigation has just now concluded according to the LA Times article.

2. What is his lawyer supposed to say?

3. I would be really disappointed if they knew the extent of the accusations and still drafted him since they preach culture.

59 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

There are always many sides to these stories. I'd be so afraid of being a single guy and trying to hook up in this day and age. Especially if you have some notoriety. Sad situation if any of it is true. 

so then you don’t hook up with an underage girl for starters.

I've heard this discussed and Matt's name thrown around for a few weeks here in San Diego, but didn't want to spread any hearsay here on the board.  Things don't look good for Matt.  If the rape kit contains his DNA, he is toast since the alleging party was 17 at the time.  Hopefully, the truth comes out and justice is served - whatever that turns out to be in this situation.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Edit:

No Romeo and Juliet exception?  I have a tab open right now from a Californian defense firm website specifically talking about how there is one and how it works there.

42 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The only possible saving grace is if he can reasonably claim that he didn't know her age. A lot of title IX cases involve drunken sex at parties. It's really hard to prove wrongdoing in those cases. Obviously a lot more facts will have to come out before we have any idea what happened here.

That doesn’t matter, the fact she was underage is still by law statutory rape. 

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

They were "recently made aware" like today most likely.  Don't kid yourself

It also said they conductED a thorough  examination. As in past tense... i dont think they made a thorough examination in a day let alone a couple... they knew about thos for awhile.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

No, one of the actors has to be 18.

As weird as it sounds it's true.

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/penal-code/261-5/

Minors can be charged in statutory rape cases

It’s important to remember that you can be charged even if you are a minor — that is, under 18-yourself when the intercourse occurs!11 This may seem a little crazy…since in a case like this the defendant is technically also a “victim”.  But it’s the law.12

Many prosecutors in California don’t make it a priority to prosecute teenagers for having sex with other teenagers. But that doesn’t mean it can’t happen.13

A case where the defendant is also a minor will probably be tried in the California juvenile court system.

• Shocked 1

35 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Sounds like the Bills knew about this already…possibly before they cut Haack.  So there’s a possibility they investigated it already and still kept Araizia on the team.  Beane and McDermott aren’t the type that will takes these kind of chances so maybe there’s more to the story.  We don’t know yet 

Don't know if he's innocent or guilty.  While I hope he is innocent if he is not than I got no problem seeing him sentenced to prison where his new roommates will demonstrate how the young women felt.