Levi Wallace gone to the Steelers on 2-year deal

Roundybout

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Over in the Harrison Phillips won't be back thread, there's a dude who says he sat with a bunch of Levi's friends at a game and has kept in touch, and Levi loves Buffalo and wanted to return.

Is that the same guy who is spilling secrets of their "best friend" to a total stranger?  Or did I mix that up with another "inside source?"

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Beane said in an interview post season, that they wouldn't just look at the playoffs in their player evaluations but would look at the entire body of work (or words to that effect).  I thought it was odd when he said it, but it signaled to me that that KC game was an opener for them.

I was more thinking trust from the other players in the locker room.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont like being pigeon-holed into having to pick for a specific position in Round 1, and I dont think Beane does either. Although maybe they think/know/realize that the best value at #25 will likely be a CB anyways.

Yeah, I hear you. But, as we all know, I’m sure Beane has a plan. They may be targeting someone in FA or may have identified multiple players they would be happy with on their draft board. Their plan for getting Allen was like trying to shoot a bullet through the head of a needle, but it worked out. 

It's hilarious how you see the same people cursing this move when they were all calling for the dude to be cut anytime an opposing receiver made even the slightest play on him. Fickle. 

That's a very manageable deal, though. Surprised they wouldn't try to retain him if that's where the money was at. 

I can't imagine they looked at Dane Jackson and said "this guy is ready to make the jump to full time starter." He played well at times last season but also got caught out of position a lot. 

They're definitely drafting a DB within the first three rounds. I'd imagine they have their eye on a FA or two to bring in for depth. Or maybe they plan on swinging a trade. 

I think it's a pretty solid prospect group for DBs but I dunno if they're gonna get as lucky as they did when they picked Tre in 2017 and he's been rock solid since day one. 

3 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

It's hilarious how you see the same people cursing this move when they were all calling for the dude to be cut anytime an opposing receiver made even the slightest play on him. Fickle. 

Really?  Who are these same people?  Spoiler: usually when someone says something like that on our board, it's not the same guys

6 minutes ago, par73 said:

CB is so important, and is the thinnest position on the roster. Will have to reload with FA and the draft.

Sal of WGR basically reported don’t be surprised if the Bills are after Donte Jackson, CB CAR - speed guy 4.2, really good in zone, has had injuries, played at LSU with Tre

intriguing….

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

We have holes now at DB, WR, Edge, LB, TE, Back Up QB...

I think it’s worth noting that most of those positions are backups, not the primary guy. We will need DB’s (you can never have enough but we are good at finding and developing them) and a 2nd TE (unless Sweeney makes a leap). WR is a legit need, but behind Diggs and Gabe Davis (I don’t see Beasley sticking around). Maybe one of the young guys steps up? 

It’s not as bad as it looks at first glance. 

Name the QBs we saw pre and post Tre White injury and convince me I'll miss Levi.

All I think about is the Bucs and Chiefs playoff game and see guys flying all over the field wide open.  

So much about our D was overrated bc of the garbage offenses we played and some weather issues.  He's a nice player don't get me wrong.  

But there is a reason there appears to be a retooling of the D line to get ahead of teams starting to run the ball with more success - we can't be bend don't break that's time our O doesn't have the ball.  

Speed in the back end and more stout up front.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

In that order too, then interior lineman in 3rd, ideally one that could play guard or center.

IMO RB and CB are the two position rookies can come in and play well their first year so would be fine with CB in the 1st.  Supposedly a deep draft for WR likely still get talent in 2nd round.

Do we have DTs and no pass rush help?  I understand limited resources in the draft, so unless they felt that Jackson was better than or equal to Wallace, I am disappointed in letting Wallace walk for low end starter money.  Does that mean doom?  Of course not, but I’d rather have had status quo with chance to draft a good prospect than to be forced into a high pick who might be a big reach.  Hope they can find a first-round worthy CB that fits their scheme or they are likely looking at trade up in round 2 for a decent CB prospect.

10 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Do we have DTs and no pass rush help?  I understand limited resources in the draft, so unless they felt that Jackson was better than or equal to Wallace, I am disappointed in letting Wallace walk for low end starter money.  Does that mean doom?  Of course not, but I’d rather have had status quo with chance to draft a good prospect than to be forced into a high pick who might be a big reach.  Hope they can find a first-round worthy CB that fits their scheme or they are likely looking at trade up in round 2 for a decent CB prospect.

They don't have money to sign FA in all positions, so IMO would be better to spend money in free agency on line as that position takes longer for rookies to develop.  So they could have signed Wallace for what you call low end starter money, not sure the Bills would or have that amount of money laying around.  If they had likely would mean no money left to try and sign an edge rusher.  So I'm fine with drafting a CB in round 1 and not worried that one won't be available when they pick who'll fit their scheme.  They could also trade down too if needed.

Thanks for the service Levi.  You’re a class dude and made a good bill.  I wanted to replace you last offseason because I thought you were too slow.  You proved me wrong all season…..and then got smoked when it mattered most.  Good luck

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, JK Fan said:

It appears the Bills did not think Wallace was a solid corner worth $4M a season.  I for one agree and am happy to see him go.

He was a solid corner.  I don't know what kind of player you expect for 4 mil a season but you aren't getting a bunch of Tre Whites on this roster.

Come playoff time potential WRs we'll need to figure out how to cover:

Hill

Kelce 

Any Chief WR 

Chase

Higgins

Boyd

Keenan Allen

Mike Williams 

Courtland Sutton

Jerry Jeudy 

Tim Patrick

AJ Brown 

Julio 

And all those teams can run the ball - if our front isn't better it's going to be extra stress on the whole defense.  I think that's why there is a focus on shoring up DT right now.

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

It's a two way street.  I have a feeling Levi felt a little disrespected.

I think there could be something to that.

Anyway, it seems to me that after all the rookie "visits" that has happened Beane feels he has a couple of good draftable players.

• Like (+1) 1

Spotrac had Wallace valued at $9.2M per year. He signs for less than half of that? Or did he get $8M per year? Can't believe the Bills wouldn't have matched that deal? Or maybe they don't believe he was even worth $4M per year? If Wallace signed for $4M per, than Spotrac is a joke, and has no value when trying to forecast talent value. I don't believe a team with SB aspirations can start a rookie at CB. Especially with a late 1st round pick.      

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

Spotrac had Wallace valued at $9.2M per year. He signs for less than half of that? Or did he get $8M per year? Can't believe the Bills wouldn't have matched that deal? Or maybe they don't believe he was even worth $4M per year? If Wallace signed for $4M per, than Spotrac is a joke, and has no value when trying to forecast talent value. I don't believe a team with SB aspirations can start a rookie at CB. Especially with a late 1st round pick.      

I'm a little befuddled myself but...........

First, Spotrac just uses past signing and "their" interpretation of a players skill.  They are as close "in total" as any other site.

Second, maybe Wallace didn't want to stay in Buffalo.

Third, it could be that Beane and Company have a lot of rookies they are interested in that fit the system better for less $s.

We all will have to wait to see what happens.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This tells me we are drafting a corner at 25

It also could be that they have multiple CBs they feel they can draft by the 2nd round.

• Agree 1

I don't understand this at all.   He was our CB1 following Thanksgiving.  4 mill a year for 2 years is GREAT CB2 money.  WTF.  I'm sure there is an explanation, but I don't know what it could possibly be, unless the plan is Jackson at CB2, draft someone, and save this money for a big FA pass rusher.  

In the past, Beane seems to always fill out the roster enough such that he can go any direction in the draft.

Losing Levi was always a possibility, but that $4M/year figure sure raises an eyebrow.

There’s too much of a hole at CB. The Bills must have someone else in mind, right?

Given Beane’s M.O., it’s hard to imagine them going into the draft without nabbing at least one FA CB that could start.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Maybe Levi got tired of the Bills trying to replace him every offseason and decided to move to greener pastures?  I won't miss his mandatory PI per game but he was decent enough, especially if he could be had for only $4m/yr.

If he was tired of competition at CB2, then he is soft.  But he played really well as our CB1 (not elite, but well) following Tre's injury.  Not getting him back at 4mill/year is puzzling.  

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It was a nice story and he was ok. But we need speed. Bring me Donte Jackson

I like Jackson.  Would have liked to keep them both!  

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

missing the market on a relatively volatile asset isn’t suddenly being a joke - 

it’s an educated guess 

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

If he was tired of competition at CB2, then he is soft.  But he played really well as our CB1 (not elite, but well) following Tre's injury.  Not getting him back at 4mill/year is puzzling.  

I like Jackson.  Would have liked to keep them both!  

I feel like Dane Jackson gave us a similar level of ability. I think it was time to move on from guys like Harry and Levi. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I don't understand this at all.   He was our CB1 following Thanksgiving.  4 mill a year for 2 years is GREAT CB2 money.  WTF.  I'm sure there is an explanation, but I don't know what it could possibly be, unless the plan is Jackson at CB2, draft someone, and save this money for a big FA pass rusher.  

frankly it’s cheap veteran CB3 money. 

• Like (+1) 2

Much as I respect our FO overall, I think letting Levi go, especially at this type of number, is a big loss for our depth at a position of vital importance. He was the epitome of a process guy and beat out everyone the Bills brought in year after year—Steelers are suddenly treating us like we treat Carolina? 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I feel like Dane Jackson gave us a similar level of ability. I think it was time to move on from guys like Harry and Levi. 

Provided we get replacements that are an upgrade, goes without saying…

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Levi is a lot better than a lot of the foolish takes on this board.  He won’t be easy to just replace with a rookie.  

Id much rather sign a vet and then draft a guy early as well.  

Some foolish takes, but also honest opinions about his limitations (ie: struggles to match up against bigger Wrs, not super athletic/speed type, etc.).  But he's experienced, great dude/seemed well liked and super hardworking.  

But at $4m per, you get a similar player with Dane Jackson stepping in.  Very similar athletically, Dane is more physical/willing tackler and matches up against bigger Wrs a bit better.  Less fluid in hips/turning to run with WRs though.  Ideally, Dane is our #3 outside corner and agree we should be looking at CB ralry in draft.

There's also a reason Levi was constantly fighting for his #2 spot and never outright "locked it down".  Also let's not forget, he was burnt on a double move for 6 against Mac in the playoffs, if not for Micah making an unbelievable play.  Followed by, getting torched by KC.  I'm sure the staff will be looking for more athletic corners in FA and draft.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Our last memory of him is being 4 yards behind Travis Kelce down the middle seam. Good night sweet prince. 

Exactly, the kiss of death. Happy trails Levi, what a great UDFA but it's well past time for an upgrade.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Seems to me if Wallace isn’t good at $8 mil a year, he still isn’t good at $4 mil a year. McD knows CB’s and saw that Wallace reached his ceiling. McD also saw White get hurt and knows they need to start planning for when White’s next deal is up. This means drafting a CB high and then paying him the money and letting White walk in 4 years. 

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.