Levi Wallace gone to the Steelers on 2-year deal

Roundybout

Just now, John Adams said:

Levi was always fighting for that starting job at CB2. Solid player but benefitted from Poyer, Hyde, Tre, Taron, Milano, Edmunds...a LOT of coverage help. 

He's replaceable but it's annoying to have a hole to fill. 

I think Dane Jackson filled that hole fine (though he might have to play for the first 6 weeks with Tre) so will need some depth, plus we needed to get more athletic at the CB anyway even before Tres ACL, 

Just now, Realist said:

Seems like front office thinks there is no drop off from Wallace to Dane. I'm sure there will be a free agent signing plus round 1 or 2 in the draft.

Or that they can find guys like Levi in FA or the draft. Given that he's always been a borderline starter, this seems right. 

The real question is Tre's status for next year. 

Wallace is replaceable. Tre is not. 

I just realized Levi had 6 regular season career picks with 2 of those vs Steelers.  Recency Bias?  Either qway they stole him here.  

Given Cap situation at OBD I believe CB2 and WR 3 will come to Bills via draft Rds 1 and 2.

Was Levi serviceable? Sure. Was he anything special? No. I wouldn't have been mad at giving him $4M for another year, but I'm not mad he's gone either. He was not what some of you have built him up in your minds to be. I remember him constantly getting beat on 3rd downs to give up a 1st. I remember him being slowish and not being able to keep up with WR's on their crossing routes. Wish him well, but no big loss imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Happy for him. Helluva player for an UDFA.

…and walk on in college, I believe. That is an amazing feat! I’m also happy for him. 

If there’s on position I trust our guys to evaluate and develop, it’s DB. Easier playing primarily zone.  

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Great, so we have Jackson and TJ.  That's it.  I don't like letting him go if it's for 4 mil per.  I don't like it at all.  He knows our system and played well last season. 

Buffalo took a UDFA and made him serviceable opposite Tre.  

They then took a late round draft pick and made him look serviceable opposite a former UDFA.  

We have one of the top Safety tandems in the league, along with a good nickel corner.    Tre will be back at some point next year, if not the opener.  

For the life of me, I do not understand any worry about losing Levi Wallace.   

For all the justifiable hand wringing about our DL, this coaching staff knows how to coach the secondary.  

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

We have holes now at DB, WR, Edge, LB, TE, Back Up QB...

….and we have the balance of free agency and the draft to fill them. Every team has holes. I trust our guys to have a plan, and to execute it better than most teams. 

• Like (+1) 2

Pretty much a guarantee of CB in round 1, no matter who is available.  It would be a joke rolling into next season with Dane Jackson and Cam Lewis as your CBs with possibility of White missing time or never returning to form.  Don’t like maybe having to bypass good players at other positions and/or reach for CB, but it is a very important position with no answers past White coming off of a major injury.  Would not surprise me it they take two corners in the first 4 rounds.  Unfortunately, likely means that they miss out on some very good WR prospects and probably would be looking at 3rd tier prospects at edge in the 2nd.   That doesn’t even consider the poor situation at DT or interior OL.

Not the best situation for sure.

23 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

As someone who wanted an upgrade from Levi, I'm surprised that they let him walk for that price. I'm okay with it, but I'm still surprised. Beane likes signing his own.

He probably asked Beane if he was planning on bringing competition for his job like he has last two years and his response was "Yes".  So he decided he would rather try someplace else.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

We have holes now at DB, WR, Edge, LB, TE, Back Up QB...

Let's be real here. It's #2CB, #3WR, #3LB, #2TE, and #2QB. Could even argue #2 or #3 DE.

No major holes, and we even have guys who could fill some of those roles on the roster already. We're just lacking in depth.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Buffalo took a UDFA and made him serviceable opposite Tre.  

They then took a late round draft pick and made him look serviceable opposite a former UDFA.  

We have one of the top Safety tandems in the league, along with a good nickel corner.    Tre will be back at some point next year, if not the opener.  

For the life of me, I do not understand any worry about losing Levi Wallace.   

For all the justifiable hand wringing about our DL, this coaching staff knows how to coach the secondary.  

4 mil is stones for a #2 DB.  Especially ones who knows our system 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Pretty much a guarantee of CB in round 1, no matter who is available.  It would be a joke rolling into next season with Dane Jackson and Cam Lewis as your CBs with possibility of White missing time or never returning to form.  Don’t like maybe having to bypass good players at other positions and/or reach for CB, but it is a very important position with no answers past White coming off of a major injury.  Would not surprise me it they take two corners in the first 4 rounds.  Unfortunately, likely means that they miss out on some very good WR prospects and probably would be looking at 3rd tier prospects at edge in the 2nd.   That doesn’t even consider the poor situation at DT or interior OL.

All this from losing out on Levi f'n Wallace???  Who knew?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ngbills said:

Glad we are close to locking up our 3rd DT in free agency. 

Me too. The game is won and lost in the trenches and our DTs havent exactly been stout (outside of Ed turning it on).

And a good DL will make the DBs that much better by forcing the ball out under duress.

Best to build from the inside-out. Good work, Beane.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Let's be real here. It's #2CB, #3WR, #3LB, #2TE, and #2QB. Could even argue #2 or #3 DE.

No major holes, and we even have guys who could fill some of those roles on the roster already. We're just lacking in depth.

#2 CB in a passing league. #3 WR in a passing league. #2 TE in a passing league. #2 QB in a passing league. #2 or #3 DE in a passing league. 

We have addressed depth at RB, depth at DT, a run blocking G.

I dont like the approach. Not the end of the world but I hope they would have spent some resources early on any of the DB, WR, pass rush, which is consistent with what most world say the biggest needs were. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Who is playing #2 CB?  Dane Jackson?   What if he is playing CB1 with White missing time?

It is way past time for serious investment at CB.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

4 mil is stones for a #2 DB.  Especially ones who knows our system 

We didn’t want him.  Clearly.   

He knows our system but he also needs to be schemed to hide his lack of speed/agility. 

6 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I expect we will see some vets brought in. The draftniks seem to think there is only one, maybe two cb's with first round grades.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

All this from losing out on Levi f'n Wallace???  Who knew?

When your corners are White coming off serious injury, Dane Jackson and Cam Lewis it is a big hole.  Tell me where there is a bigger hole on a team that plays 5 DBs as a base defense.

• Agree 1

It's because he stood 15yds. away from kelce, or anyone, allowing the big gainer before tying fg. Frazier's next. McDermott gets a pass. Worst game ending strategy in the history of nfl. OK, I'm finally over it. Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.