Allen is better

george c

19 minutes ago, Evian said:

He has a Superbowl Ring. He has knocked the Bills out of the playoffs two years in a row 

You want emojis.  Here is one from him polishing his ring while watching you cry every year he knocks a Bills team with superior talent out of the playoffs. 😛

Burrow in year two might have as many Superbowl rings as Allen and Mahomes in their 9 years combined. Not sure there is much difference than the three because Burrow is a better decision maker than the other two. 

I am not sure how you can say Burrow is a better decision maker than both Allen and Mahomes. Burrow didn't play particularly well yesterday either. He should have had not just 1 but 2 ints yesterday, which were both terrible throws or decisions. 

Edited by cisco2403

15 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Funny how those telling us to "shut up" forget this fact.  For YEARS after the KC trade we had to read comments and threads that talked ONLY about not picking Mahomes.  Heck, in 2019 THREE FREAKING years after the fact and with Allen showing signs of being a great QB and the Bills making the playoffs we were still subjected to this abuse.

But now when folks naturally want to rank order the four best young QB's in the AFC (Allen, Mahomes, Burrow & Herbert) they want people to shut the hell up.  IMO the arguing over who is the best of these elite young QB's makes a lot more sense then the constant whining about how the Bills didn't draft Mahomes.

To be fair, not drafting Mahomes was completely stupid.  Just because it worked out a year later doesn't mean that passing him was a good call.  Just dumb luck that worked out.  

As far as who is better, they're all so close at this point it doesn't really matter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3

46 minutes ago, Evian said:

He has a Superbowl Ring. He has knocked the Bills out of the playoffs two years in a row 

You want emojis.  Here is one from him polishing his ring while watching you cry every year he knocks a Bills team with superior talent out of the playoffs. 😛

I prefer to laugh at that fat *****’s many, many, many failures on the biggest stage of all, from Philly all the way to yesterday afternoon. :lol: 

One lucky season doesn’t make up for all that choking.

11 minutes ago, cle23 said:

To be fair, not drafting Mahomes was completely stupid.  Just because it worked out a year later doesn't mean that passing him was a good call.  Just dumb luck that worked out.  

As far as who is better, they're all so close at this point it doesn't really matter.

Wasn’t stupid at all. If everyone knew what Mahomes would become he would of gone #1, he didn’t for a reason. He’s a great player but he also was blessed having a team like KC making the jump to get him. They were a team ready to play for Championships but needed figure out the QB position to do so. 

Same can be said for Allen, if teams knew what he’d become he’d would of went first as well.  Bills made the leap for Allen but were the total opposite, they were figuring out how to win and do it consistently. The whole offense was gutted the year he arrived. 

I think it’s too hard to judge at this point. Last year I would of said Mahomes but now I’m not sold on that. Only time will tell. Let’s hope it’s Josh

9 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Wasn’t stupid at all. If everyone knew what Mahomes would become he would of gone #1, he didn’t for a reason. He’s a great player but he also was blessed having a team like KC making the jump to get him. They were a team ready to play for Championships but needed figure out the QB position to do so. 

Same can be said for Allen, if teams knew what he’d become he’d would of went first as well.  Bills made the leap for Allen but were the total opposite, they were figuring out how to win and do it consistently. The whole offense was gutted the year he arrived. 

I think it’s too hard to judge at this point. Last year I would of said Mahomes but now I’m not sold on that. Only time will tell. Let’s hope it’s Josh

It was stupid.  Passing on a franchise QB when you don't have one is stupid.  And yes, most people didn't realize what Mahomes would become, and anyone team that passed on him without a franchise QB before the Bills did are also stupid.  

And the Chiefs had Alex Smith at QB when they drafted Mahomes.  I would never categorize Smith as elite, but he was a good QB at that point in his career.  He had 26TDs and 5 INTs Mahomes' rookie year in 15 games.  

41 minutes ago, cle23 said:

No, they determined that 2018, not 2017, was the year to get their QB. They correctly  took the best one (unlike say the Browns who blew #1 and then #4). Now it’s 2022 and their pick looks like the best player in the league. GREAT job by McBeane.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, cle23 said:

If Josh didn't turn out to be a stud like he is, you could say it was stupid.  In hindsight, it worked out perfectly.

2 hours ago, Evian said:

AFC Quarterbacks 

Mahomes is 9.9 

Allen is a 9.9

Burrow is a 9.7

AFC Coaches 

Reid is a 9.9

Zac Taylor is a 9.8

McDermott is a 7.0 (0-6 in close games)

Allen is not good enough to overcome the gap between the elite coaches and McDermott. Until McDermott is gone it will be almost impossible for Allen to win a Superbowl. 

I love how 0-6 in close games is taken out of the context and it is only a 6 game sample size because the team blow the other teams out of the water the other 12 out of 13 games.

Such a bad take.

Also for the others, yes Mahomes has a super bowl ring, but does anyone remember the chiefs almost choked that game away as well? What was it? 20-10 with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter against the 49ers?

First 6 KC Drives:

Punt

TD

Field Goal

Punt

Interception

Interception

At the start of their 3 td comeback with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter Mahomes was like 17/29 for 140ish yards 1 td 2 int.

Not saying Mahomes isnt good, but if this was Allen's performance you all would be crucifying him. 

Edited by What a Tuel

He'd never say anything publicly...but I wonder if Allen harbors any ill feelings towards the Special teams/Defense coaches...and even McDermott.  It was such a big flop at the end.  The "process" failed. 

Plus even in Overtime, the D never put up any resistance.  I mean as much as we cry about the last 13 seconds,  the D still had overtime to make things right..  and they stunk.   If I'm Allen, i'd be pissed.

15 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Even the highest of happy footed sugar rushes for Josh Allen wouldn't have him throw three straight INT balls in overtime.  After the first or second he stops trying to force it and just runs it or something.

Don't forget to mention the back to back sacks (and a fumble on the second one) at the end of regulation which added 21 yards to the FG Buttker had to hit.   

16 minutes ago, zow2 said:

He'd never say anything publicly...but I wonder if Allen harbors any ill feelings towards the Special teams/Defense coaches...and even McDermott.  It was such a big flop at the end.  The "process" failed. 

Plus even in Overtime, the D never put up any resistance.  I mean as much as we cry about the last 13 seconds,  the D still had overtime to make things right..  and they stunk.   If I'm Allen, i'd be pissed.

NFL FILMS recording Allen already booking the AFC TITLE GAME at 00:13 seconds doesn’t age well either.

So I would understand his anger.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

No, they determined that 2018, not 2017, was the year to get their QB. They correctly  took the best one (unlike say the Browns who blew #1 and then #4). Now it’s 2022 and their pick looks like the best player in the league. GREAT job by McBeane.

Yep, that fella is just salty because his team drafted a mediocre qb who lives in the stadium.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, cle23 said:

Not when the GM was a dead man walking. 

I still don't understand the argument that Allen is better than other QB's that have been to/won SB's unless it's direct indictment of this GM and coaching staff.

If that's your argument fine but I still think he needs to climb to the top of the mountain at least once before making this claim.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Not when the GM was a dead man walking. 

Any team that does not have a franchise quarterback and passes on one is stupid. It doesn't matter the situation. Again, it worked out for Buffalo in the long run but that doesn't mean the decision wasn't stupid.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Here's the reason I think Allen has finally caught up to, and surpassed, Mahomes:

He is asked to do much more, and he does more with less.

To the first point: How many times in a Chiefs game do you see Mahomes hit a wide open receiver who rips off 30+ yards after the catch? Constantly. That's scheme. For whatever reason, Andy Reid has been masterful at scheming YAC into his offense, and for whatever reason, Daboll has not. It's not as if we don't have receivers that should be able to accrue YAC: McKenzie, Diggs, and Knox should all be great YAC guys. It sure feels like a 30 yard pass play for Josh Allen usually means he threw it 30 yards and the receiver caught it and got tackled. In KC, a 30 yard pass play often looks like a six yard completion followed by 24 yards after the catch.

To the second point: as good as Diggs, Davis, Beasley, and Knox are, and as good as Daboll is/was...they're not on the level of Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, and Andy Reid, respectively. Given the overall team speed that KC has, the all-world, HOF caliber tight end they have, and the all time great offensive mind they have calling plays, I would argue that Mahomes enjoys significant schematic and personnel advantages over Allen.

Yes, Allen has to start winning awards and probably a ring for everyone to consider him Mahomes' equal. In terms of pure talent, though? I believe Allen has caught, and surpassed, Patrick Mahomes. There's a reason Mahomes sought out Josh Allen after the game and sprinted right to him to dap him up. I think that even Mahomes know that Allen is the only dude in the NFL truly on his level.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Any team that does not have a franchise quarterback and passes on one is stupid. It doesn't matter the situation. Again, it worked out for Buffalo in the long run but that doesn't mean the decision wasn't stupid.

“Franchise QBs” aren’t franchise QBs prior to playing a game. Especially those that aren’t being considered for the #1 pick.  

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I still don't understand the argument that Allen is better than other QB's that have been to/won SB's unless it's direct indictment of this GM and coaching staff.

If that's your argument fine but I still think he needs to climb to the top of the mountain at least once before making this claim.

I think people are absolutely saying it is an indictment on the GM and coaching staff. The defense was weaker than tissue paper the past 2 playoff matchups vs KC. Allen didn't have anything to do with their poor performance.

I think Burrow still has a lot to learn.  Against the Titans, he held onto the ball way to long a couple of those sacks.  He's not a great runner but was able to make a couple big plays when he needed to. Keep in mind he's only 6 months younger than Allen is.  

But if anything these games show a great QB still needs great receivers, a good running back and at least a good defense in order to succeed. 

Football is a team sport so saying that one QB is better than others is meaningless in isolation .  Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers are/were arguably better QBs than Tom Brady if you just look at pure passing stats .  But Tom Brady has twice as many Super Bowl wins as the two of them combined . Why is that ?  Because the Pats and Bucs had much better teams around Brady. 

Edited by prissythecat
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

I think people are absolutely saying it is an indictment on the GM and coaching staff. The defense was weaker than tissue paper the past 2 playoff matchups vs KC. Allen didn't have anything to do with their poor performance.

Regarding last year in the playoffs, Allen was certainly part of the problem in the loss to KC.

But this year I agree 100% in that you can't put any of the blame on his shoulders. This defensive scheme is very bad and McDermott and Beane are essentially putting their long term future in Buffalo on the line if they stay with the status quo and don't make big time changes on that side of the ball once and for all this offseason starting with purging this roster of Carolina castoffs in addition to making coaching changes.

28 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Do you think the fact that he plays for Buffalo has anything whatsoever to do with your opinion?

Is there any chance of bias on your part?

No, not at all, I'm a realist. 

Also, reasonable minds can disagree but thinking he's the best QB in the league is not a stretch by any imagination.  You seem to think there is no way at all he could be. 

Edited by HamSandwhich
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Football is a team game.

6 hours ago, Rico said:

I checked out Peter King’s column this morning, always enjoy reading it though I don’t always agree. I was surprised that neither Reid or the Rat got slammed, both deserved to be in the ‘Goat of the Week’.

Totally. Maybe he relies on them for interviews too frequently? Mahomes performance in from the last five seconds of the first half onward to the end was one of the most baffling performances I've ever seen by a genuinely elite player. It was like he had the yips -- just a total meltdown in all areas of his game: decision making (including internal clock management), physical movement, and accuracy. 

Where I fault Reed is in the first down play from the 5 yard line with less than two minutes to go. Cincy had a TO left, and they were expecting a run because they assumed KC wanted to bleed clock. That is exactly when you should be throwing the ball. Playing the clock game instead of scoring to go up by 4 at the earliest possible opportunity was terrible game management. If I'm coaching KC, I don't care if they get it with 1:50 left if I can go up by 4. (Notably, both Hardiman and Mahomes ran out of bounds on plays just before that stopped the clock too). Sure, it'd be nicer if they had less time, but by wasting a play you're now in two obvious passing-play situations, and if you fail, you can only tie it. Reid totally outsmarted himself there. Score a TD ASAP and don't waste plays in order to play clock games.  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.