It’s time to trade for an Edge Rusher

BillMafia716ix

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I believe cutting Addison and Star alone will pay for a good chunk of an incoming edge rushers salary. 

Don't forget Allen's cap hit goes up by 6 mil next year, and another 23 mil in 2023.  This is on a team that was already close to the cap.  It will be difficult to do much other than strike gold via the draft. 

Edited by BTB

41 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

what do you like about Basham.  He did nothing this year, and was picked instead of players like Creed Humphry (all pro OL).  Forgot about Epenesea also, horrid pick.    

Never said I like him, just wanted to know your reasoning. 

Would have been cool w/ Humphrey too, but not against continuing to load the defensive line. 

Basham was pretty productive in college and flashed this year so I’m hoping he can continue to grow into his role alongside Obada, Epenesa, & Rousseau. 

53 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

It's interesting how hesitant Beane has been to add established talent to put the team over the top for a SB. 

Contrast that with teams like the Rams, Cardinals, and of course the Chiefs. Not saying we need to be as aggressive at burning picks and cap as the Rams are, but we've spent multiple high picks on our pass rush and it's still as inadequate as it was last year. 

We need at least one game-changer at edge and we needed it yesterday. 

Established talent is expensive.  I think he's hesitant because he's careful about the cap.   Especially now that Josh has his contract.  

But your right: we need a game-changing type edge.  

The Bills had a ton of pressure on Mahomes all game long.  His elusiveness and scrambling ability were the difference.  As pointed out above, other teams with strong defenses have the same problem against Josh Allen.  Sometimes great players can't be stopped.

Was the Bills' strategy/coaching in the last 13 seconds terrible - yes.

Edited by msw2112

1 hour ago, BillMafia716ix said:

It’s time for Brandon Beane to dip into that bag and bring an edge rusher to Buffalo. We desperately need a playmaker on the edge. It’s been too long. 

Mahomes ability to extend plays hurt us bad. I know we have Rousseau..but with Jerry Hughes aging. They need a player that the offense has to account for every snap. Right now we don’t have that guy. 

You have to give Mahomes a lot of credit although I DL seemed to stop or pause repeatedly. The nine DL didn't seem to work at all either. I think they would do better in rematch, but that ain't going to happen until next year.

I wonder how zone-blitzing a DB would have worked? I think our D needs to go back to the drawing board and consider things outside the box. Sure, a better pass rusher would have helped but maybe Groot, Epenesa and Basham mature this offseason. I think we have room to add one more DE but no money....

It's going to be an interesting offseason, but If I was to guess Beane is not to play an FA a ton of money.

Even so, we are a coin flip away from going to the Super Bowl.

20 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Established talent is expensive.  I think he's hesitant because he's careful about the cap.   Especially now that Josh has his contract.  

But your right: we need a game-changing type edge.  

Yeah I'm not saying I'm eager for the team to jump into cap hell, but if you don't hit on your picks sometimes you have to overpay for an impact player. 

We did it for Mario back in the day because we missed on several picks, and now it looks like we have to do it again. 

You can't spend two 2nds and a first in back to back years and still have a sluggish Mario Addison leading your team with 7 sacks. C'mon man. 

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

what do you like about Basham.  He did nothing this year, and was picked instead of players like Creed Humphry (all pro OL).  Forgot about Epenesea also, horrid pick.    

1.  we can afford it.  

2.  we said the same thing about AJ last year.  Let's see what he does.  Did nothing.  Hope is not a strategy for winning.  

I hear you. But take Ed Oliver as an example of a guy needing into his 3rd year before really starting to find his groove and materially impact a game—AJ may be no different. That said, I definitely agree we should be pursuing a marquee FA to boost the unit while the young guys develop…

Just saw a replay of the Mahomes TD run where Jerry jumped on the pump fake. Oof. If he just keeps his feet and pursues Mahomes rather than taking himself out of the play, the TD run likely doesn’t happen. Shades of Mario Addison inexplicably diving at Kyler Murray last year before he unloaded the Hail Murray. Going against Allen in practice, they should know to keep their feet.

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Agreed. Need that playmaking, gamechanging, plan around him kind of guy.

What gives me hope is Beane keeps drafting DEs high & went after the likes of JJ Watt. 

This. We don’t yet know for sure what we have. But yes, I’d like to see a move to bring in established pass rusher.

I know people are banging the defense, but the real reason we lost last night was coaching. They played the scheme they were told to.

Our coaches need to learn to stop playing scared.

McDermott and staff have issues with in game decisions. 
Why the conservative play calling for at least 2 quarters?

Why are we covering the sidelines when KC has 3 time outs? Why rush 4?

Why not squib kick the kick off?

Theres some type of disconnect with coaching.

Im sick over this.

28 minutes ago, dlonce said:

I know people are banging the defense, but the real reason we lost last night was coaching. They played the scheme they were told to.

Our coaches need to learn to stop playing scared.

McDermott and staff have issues with in game decisions. 
Why the conservative play calling for at least 2 quarters?

Why are we covering the sidelines when KC has 3 time outs? Why rush 4?

Why not squib kick the kick off?

Theres some type of disconnect with coaching.

Im sick over this.

I didn't expect the Bills to be THAT lax. In our week five victory we played as tough as all get out, I cannot Billieve how badly we reverted. Our D looked like they were playing with zero confidence. All of this because we lost Tre white? It looked to me that our DL kept pausing as well, just playing tentative. I mean, Mahomes is great but come on?

I have no idea why we didn't squib kick, I imagine it is because the chefs have crazy good speed back there, but you're right. It was like we coached to lose and not win. If we kicked it too them and they returned it wouldn't everyone say why did you kick it to that speed?

I guess the thing that can help you reason all of this is that McD has shown time and again that we can learn. Maybe McD needs another chance?

Not many teams are situated as well as the Bills now. We have a young super dominant QB and hopefully we keep enough weapons.(I say this as everyone seems to think we just need Diggs, Davis and McKenzie which is just ######ed. We need a plethora of weapons to get through the year.) We have a decent line. We have a decent defense.

Imho, we really have to give our three young DEs a month off and then start Super offseason training of everything defensive end. I think the three can get way better. We really need to make this a priority. I think there is a ton of untapped potential there in Epenesa, Groot and Basham. We could include Ed in that too if we can afford to keep him (even though he is here regardlesss this year.) 

I think it is time to cut ties with some older players mainly because we can't afford them. I say keep Star probably unless he wants to retire on his own. We can't afford 5.1 mill in dead cap.

I am so glad that we have some money and a very flexible cap number. I am even more happy we are set up for a strong draft. We probably continue to build our lines mostly but a really goo WR sounds tempting to me. Expect a DL #1 though....An OL #2....

Though Beane really has to find a way to make every pick count!

It'll be interesting to see how the rams do against the chefs with there two ultra-premium Pass rushers. I wonder if they do any better?

Anyway, cheer-up. There are 31 teams that wish they had the talent we do.

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yes, if anything too often our edge rushers got the pressure and were too far behind the line of scrimmage to catch up to Mahomes.  That one long run he had in their first drive is an excellent example of that, if anything we over pursued, the middle of the feild was comically wide open..

10000000000%

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

It’s time for Brandon Beane to dip into that bag and bring an edge rusher to Buffalo. We desperately need a playmaker on the edge. It’s been too long. 

Mahomes ability to extend plays hurt us bad. I know we have Rousseau..but with Jerry Hughes aging. They need a player that the offense has to account for every snap. Right now we don’t have that guy. 

At this point it may be time for Beane to go full LA Rams and start handing out 1st round picks for immediate help.

Because if last night proved anything again is that the defense and scheme is still the problem and you can't 'run it back' again and assume the results will be different. They won't.

Either way change is imminent and there's close to zero chance that both Hughes and Addison will be back. Pretty sure both played their last snaps in Buffalo last night.

3 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Nope.  We've invested a ton of draft assets on the defensive line.  We need to give them time to develop.  Right now the priority should be to build around Josh Allen...give him weapons to outscore teams.  Josh guarantees maximum return on any offensive playmaker that you add... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Mahomes was an extraordinary talent yesterday, suck it up and give credit where it is due.

If we had this mythical  great Edge Rushers it wouldn't have made much difference, Mahomes is too quick and too slippery, he was a magician running.  He got away multiple times and would have gotten away regardless.

And now we all got a little taste of what it is like for other teams to face Allen.

disagree. When you have the elite playmaker edge rusher they only have to make the one play a game. Von Miller wins this game for the bills without a doubt. He gets to Maholmes once on a 3rd down.

3 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

We were literally 10 seconds away from everybody saying how it actually DID WORK.

And now your conclusion is that Chiefs were aggressive and it paid of and we've done everything wrong. 

Funny (actually not funny obviously) how 10 seconds change whole narrative for so many people.

Melvin Ingram was a non-factor today. Orlando Brown didn't make a difference today. This wasn't about what we and Chiefs have done in the offseason. This was about our tackling, our bad coaching last 13 seconds and sick abilities of Mahomes, Hill and Kelce. 

Lots of that is wrong.  Ingram absolutely made an impact and blew up Spencer Brown for one, possibly 2 key sacks/pressures.  And his presence allowed Jones to play inside where he's far more disruptive.  

As for "10 seconds away," the Bills have the best player in the universe and had literally the easiest schedule in the NFL this year and had to go on the road for last night's game because they were 0-5 (now 0-6) in close games this year.  You don't think adding one more impact player would've made an... impact?  Take the $5M+ they're paying Taiwan Jones and Tyler Matkavich and invest it in a hybrid OLB who can chase QBs and you don't think that would've made a difference in the season?  If anything, "10 seconds away" shows just how narrow the margin for success is in this league - and Beane has mostly chosen to sit on his hands when opportunities have arisen.  Denver would likely have been happy to trade one of its many CBs at the deadline - you don't think that might've helped last night?  Sheesh.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

4 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I was as big a supporter of Rousseau as there was at this board.

He's a bust.  You mention him like he's somehow worth keeping.

Hughes will be gone next year for sure.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 2

You may not want to hear this, but Buffalo drafted two of them last year. There is usually a learning curve associated with this position. You won’t find an impact player there unless you’re picking top 10 in the draft and there’s a Myles Garrett or JJ Watt available. Give Boogie and Rousseau a year in a legit NFL strength & conditioning program and let’s revisit this a year from now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Oh and while we are talking about narratives - so its edge rusher now huh?

6-8 weeks ago this board was full of people claiming that OL is the major problem, and how everybody except Beane knew it from the beginning.

Now I count almost zero posts talking about OL, and suddenly we are back talking about edge rushers and CB2.

I am not saying Beane did everything right. My point is that people are moving goalposts after every single game and blame him for underestimating just about every unit, depending on the outcome of each specific game. He is not playing Madden unfortunately.

The OL was a problem until McDumbass was forced to play Bates at guard.  Why did it take 14 games to figure that out? Why was Moss getting more carries than Singletary until late in the season. Why is the starting all-pro guard on the Browns and not the Bills. Why was Davis and McKenzie criminally underused? Why did they not bring in a veteran when White went down? Jackson was so bad in training camp he barely made the final roster. 

Why does McKenzie or Brieda get benched for a fumble like it is HS, but Edmunds sucks all year and never is sat down.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

You may not want to hear this, but Buffalo drafted two of them last year. There is usually a learning curve associated with this position. You won’t find an impact player there unless you’re picking top 10 in the draft and there’s a Myles Garrett or JJ Watt available. Give Boogie and Rousseau a year in a legit NFL strength & conditioning program and let’s revisit this a year from now.

That is true for DT. Not true for DE. They can produce early. AJE did not develop and looks like a bust in year two. Rousseau flashed enough that there is some hope. No idea why Basham sat all those games earlier in the year. 2nd round picks need to produce right away. What a shame when they could have had Humphrey. And that is not revisionist history. Many of us on this board were screaming for Humphrey in the second round.

Remember this is the same GM that overpaid for Trent Murphy and same coaching staff that kept playing him.  

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That is true for DT. Not true for DE. They can produce early. AJE did not develop and looks like a bust in year two. Rousseau flashed enough that there is some hope. No idea why Basham sat all those games earlier in the year. 2nd round picks need to produce right away. What a shame when they could have had Humphrey. And that is not revisionist history. Many of us on this board were screaming for Humphrey in the second round.

Remember this is the same GM that overpaid for Trent Murphy and same coaching staff that kept playing him.  

Morse was good though and Humphrey had health issues. Most players don’t produce at a high level year 1.

5 hours ago, BTB said:

Don't forget Allen's cap hit goes up by 6 mil next year, and another 23 mil in 2023.  This is on a team that was already close to the cap.  It will be difficult to do much other than strike gold via the draft. 

caps are going to increase at a higher rate than they did pre-covid. everything will catch up. this year will be better than last, and i fully expect 2 years out to be the biggest % increase weve ever seen

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He's a bust.  You mention him like . he's somehow worth keeping.

bust? lol after one year. the dude has played ONE year of DE before this year in his life. didnt play there in hs, and switched in college. the dude has elite frame, and sooooooo much room to pack on muscle and evolve his game with real level coaches and facilities/nutrition. the dudes gotta bull rush, hes gunna pack on 25-30 quality lbs, further develop the bull rush and learn a move.  his length is so disruptive in passing lanes as well. nothing but crazy high upside with this kid. hes just g2 do the work and listen to his coaches

People will say numbers, and percentages and rankings (like our #1 defense that couldn't do anything most of the night) but our pass rush stinks. 

When is the last time our pass rush made a play in a big moment?

I'm not talking about "they get pressure" or PFF rankings or DVOA or whatever other acronym. I mean QB on the ground for a sack on a big 3rd down, or a QB hit that makes him miss a pass or throw up a prayer in a critical moment of the game, or a strip sack fumble that ends the game. 

Hughes used to be that guy. He made a lot of big time plays for us, albeit back then the games didn't mean much. Now every one of his pass rushes looks the same: he runs upfield, locked up with the tackle being bent backwards and gets there 2 seconds too late. 

I want Rams affecting Brady type pass rush. Actual hits. Actual sacks even! Bucs get a big play and then next play Miller strip sacks Brady and its Rams ball. Of course then the inexplicable bad snap happens to obscure that play, but you know what I mean. 

We need IMPACT plays from the DL, not "pressure rate" stats or fancy rankings. On a big 3rd down, beat your man and go wreck the play. 

13 seconds to go to the AFC Title Game... Imagine having a guy who could have beaten the OL and got in there to either mess the throw up or force Mahomes to move off his spot and waste time even?

5 hours ago, BTB said:

I’ve said this before on here-this is not an accurate statement. Teams can manipulate the cap in all sorts of different ways to make guys fit under the cap of their want them. Not only that, the cap is going to continue to go up. Teams wouldn’t sign these QB’s to these huge deals if they weren’t going to be able to afford anyone else on the team. Saints did it for years, Pittsburgh, Seattle…it’s possible 

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The bills are the 2nd best team in football this year and have their unicorn

Players will want to come here

Fa WRs had to be thinking why couldnt they be Gabe Davis?  I think he is on his way to becoming a superstar Fyi.  Future is bright because of 17.

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Mahomes was an extraordinary talent yesterday, suck it up and give credit where it is due.

If we had this mythical  great Edge Rushers it wouldn't have made much difference, Mahomes is too quick and too slippery, he was a magician running.  He got away multiple times and would have gotten away regardless.

And now we all got a little taste of what it is like for other teams to face Allen.

Not sure that anyone could sack Mahomes, Chiefs are #4 in league of least sacked.  Do wonder if Bills strategy was to contain him, don't let him take off and run, he still did a couple times but limited, but don't rush too hard where if you miss he's gone.  Idea was surround him and give him him no escape but he'd then find open man to pass to.

To me one of the differences between Allen and Mahomes is, they are both great at avoiding being sacked, can then scramble to give more time to find the open man to pass to and can both take off and run when no one open or plenty of room to run.  But think Mahomes does a better job of finding that open guy and passing where as Allen will take off running a little sooner than Mahomes would.  Mahomes scrambles but does a better job of still scanning field.  But he also has more experience both in NFL and college.  May be an area Allen can improve in??

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He's a bust.  You mention him like he's somehow worth keeping.

You consider a rookie late 1st round pick DE that missed all of 2020 due to opting out that compiled 50 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 INT and 1 FF a bust?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.