chargers vs raiders

pennstate10

Just saw this from one of my degenerate gambler friends.

IF ( a big if) the Jags beat Colts on Sunday at 1 pm.

Then both Chargers and Raiders make the playoffs if they tie in their 4 pm game.

In that scenario, any chance both teams agree to takes knees all game to get a 0-0 tie?

I dont think so, but if the game goes to OT, then both coaches will play superconservative, and I'd expect a tie.

• Vomit 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

Then both Chargers and Raiders make the playoffs if they tie in their 4 pm game.

In that scenario, any chance both teams agree to takes knees all game to get a 0-0 tie?

I dont think so, but if the game goes to OT, then both coaches will play superconservative, and I'd expect a tie.

meh old news.  

Kyle on GMGB has been talking this up all week.   

if they “throw away the game” for a Tie 

It will be a stain on the shield. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Trust that the league office has already made it crystal clear to both teams that pulling this stunt will result in severe penalties. Not gonna happen. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Trust that the league office has already made it crystal clear to both teams that pulling this stunt will result in severe penalties. Not gonna happen. 

I doubt the league has mentioned it.. at all. It's an unlikely scenario and it's unlikely either team would participate in outright collusion. What are they gonna say, "If this thing happens and ya'll end up in a tie at the end of the game, you better play aggressively in OT!"

Edited by Malazan

I know its probably unpopular to the Bills 1st round opponent but I want the Chargers to beat the Raiders. A Chargers win essentially locks them into the # 7 spot and a rematch with the Chiefs. I think they are the toughest opponent the Chiefs can draw in the 1st round. Yes even more than the Colts who if they get behind have no shot with Wentz at QB of beating the Chiefs. 

• Agree 1

Should be allowed

56 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

To prevent injuries and rest for the playoffs I don't know why they shouldn't be able to take knee all game

Edited by motorj

54 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

But outside of Tenny losing the #1 seed, the Colts game is THE most significant game for all the in the hunt teams.  Colts win and Steelers, Ravens and loser of Vegas-Chargers are out.  Colts lose and then it gets wild with different scenarios.

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

meh old news.  

If there's one thing we can conclude unequivocally about "the shield" is that it doesn't care much about "stains".  Stains drive the popularity and bring the money.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, motorj said:

Should be allowed

To prevent injuries and rest for the playoffs I don't know why they shouldn't be able to take knee all game

Resting starters for the playoffs is an established and acceptable practice.  Intentionally throwing a game (which kneeling out for a tie would count as) IS NOT, and heads would roll.  The league's gambling partners would throw a fit, and even just on a moral stance it spits in the face of paying fans expecting to see a win-and-in competitive game.  Fans at least know what they're buying when it comes to rest games.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If there's one thing we can conclude unequivocally about "the shield" is that it doesn't care much about "stains".  Stains drive the popularity and bring the money.

the shield has turned a blind eye no doubt 

how many times has Belicheat gotten away work crap. 

Ya never know what straw will break the camels back.

If they want continued viewership they need to acknowledge this 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

True, but have 2 teams ever been in this particular situation before? If Jax wins and they really try to pull this, heads will roll.

This conversation is purely hypothetical - and I don't expect the scenario will present itself OR the Raiders and Chargers would collude if it did- but presuming all those things happen, how do you think heads would roll? Vacate the tie and eliminate both the Raiders and Chargers from the post season? 

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

meh old news.  

Someone explain to me how this is different than resting your starters or tanking?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

This was brought up on One Bills Live. Why would Mark Davis even take that call after what they did to Gruden in a supposed Redskins investigation? Id love to see this pan out. If the Colts lose, take knees boys. This happens because of a 17 game odd schedule and greed from rodg.

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

This was brought up on One Bills Live. Why would Mark Davis even take that call after what they did to Gruden in a supposed Redskins investigation? Id love to see this pan out. If the Colts lose, take knees boys. This happens because of a 17 game odd schedule and greed from rodg.

I never said i wouldn’t want to see it. I hate Goodell I would welcome a nationally televised embarrassment like that.

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

Someone explain to me how this is different than resting your starters or tanking?

Tanking or resting starters still involves 11 guys on the field going 100%, trying to put on a football game.

2 teams taking a knee every snap does not.

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

I'd rather face the Raiders or Chargers in post season than the Colts

Raiders would be my No. 1 wish; New England (who I think it will be in reality) is No. 2.

At least in the first game.  We are going to be going through KC regardless IMO, so it doesn't really matter who we play in first game.

Steelers would also have to beat the Ravens I believe.  If the goal is to get the Super Bowl why wouldn't you rest your starters for a week and kneel it so a tie is guaranteed so you make the playoffs?  It would be hilarious to see.

So here's the fascinating Nash Equilibrium element to this. 

Let's assume for a second that the Colts and Ravens lose AND that the front offices of the Raiders and Chargers have a clandestine conversation where they decide to tie but make it look good so that the NFL competition committee can't reasonably stick them with any punishment.

In this scenario both teams would still have the power to break the agreed upon game script, betray the other one late in the game, and deny them the playoffs.  Knowing that the other team could betray you would lead you to wanting to get the drop on them and be the betrayer yourself. 

According to Nash, if the teams could play out infinite iterations of this scenario they would eventually learn to honor their agreement every time as it's the most mutually beneficial to every person involved.  But given just one iteration neither team would trust the other to play cooperatively and it would turn back into a competition.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

meh old news.  

Yeah, but the point is it would be funnier than hell.  Painful to watch, but funny.  Set the ball at the 50 and not even punt, just keep taking the knee.

12 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

the shield has turned a blind eye no doubt 

how many times has Belicheat gotten away work crap. 

Ya never know what straw will break the camels back.

If they want continued viewership they need to acknowledge this 

Stains perpetuate viewers.  All of the scandals/controversies (spygate, deflategate, CTE, Kaepernick/kneeling, etc) have only led to increased revenue/viewers/TV contracts.

The owners don't care about "stains"--they are in the entertainment business. 

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Tanking or resting starters still involves 11 guys on the field going 100%, trying to put on a football game.

2 teams taking a knee every snap does not.

Raiders would be my No. 1 wish; New England (who I think it will be in reality) is No. 2.

At least in the first game.  We are going to be going through KC regardless IMO, so it doesn't really matter who we play in first game.

Tanking player are NOT going 100% lol

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Well, maybe KC loses in the first round, say to the Chargers or Colts. That also guarantees us a home divisional round game (assuming we win the East and finish in the 3 seed, as Cincy is resting their starters).

Fun take on this from a game theory perspective:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/raiders-chargers-tie-nfl-playoff-scenarios-11641516938?st=tbw2bd32ppk8g5f&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

I think what everyone is missing here is that even if the collusion solution doesn't happen (it won't), it still may matter at the margin. Example: Final drive of the game. Raiders score a TD to make it Chargers 21, Raiders 20. Do the Raiders go for 2 to try to win it in regulation? The "tie and both teams are in" situation says "no" - the possibility of a tie after OT is as good as a win. And if so, how do the teams play it in OT? I would expect less risk taking by both sides.

So the NFL is banking heavily on the Jags being the Jags. Otherwise this scheduling decision was pretty stupid.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.