Now that Week 18 is actually here, do you like having the extra game or not?

BillsPride12

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

18 game season is better.  Expand roster to 58 players.  Get rid of all the pre-season games.  Keep one if you absolutely want to.  2020 they had none and the product on the field was no different than 2019 and 2021.  Every poster on this board could have accurately predicted 50-52 of the players they kept.  The bottom 3-5 guys are all interchangeable with a PS guy anyways.    No need to risk injury in a pre-season game.  15 real games and they still couldn't figure out Bates was the best option at OG, and PS DT is dressing for games while a 2nd round pick is not.  A glorified scrimmage isn't going to help them figure it out anymore than what they see or don't see in practice.  

agree, we need a little roster expansion, both for total number of players and for active player limits.

the way the cap is structured, your cheapest 3-10 guys basically don't count, so you can extend some burn to bubble guys, and see if they improve a bit in live game situations.

• Like (+1) 2

Nope…I really don’t like it. Sixteen games was more than enough and an odd number means half the teams play more home games than road games. I would’ve just added a second bye week. The entire nation would all still watch football during the bye, so it doesn’t seem like revenue would be impacted and the players would get an extra week to heal. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

We should be watching playoff football this weekend!!!  We don't need an extra week of regular season football to know which teams belong in the playoffs.  

And yes I know that the NFL's reason for this is simply $$$$$$$

But I'm just asking from a fan's standpoint.  I said from the beginning it was dumb but when it was first announced a lot of people were excited for it saying it was good to see more football etc. but from what I have been seeing on Twitter and other sources now that we are actually here it seems like most people are changing their tune and admitting an extra week of regular season football instead of jumping into the playoffs is stupid.  

Where do you stand?

so you're not going to watch any games this weekend?

I was initially excited about it, but now that it's here this week feels unnecessary and not all that exciting. 

Almost every playoff spot is already locked up, although there are some seeding scenarios still up in the air. With only the 1 bye it takes a lot of drama out of this week, because there's not much difference in being the 2 seed or the 3 seed. If it goes chalk you're going to play each other in the divisional round, and yes you'd love to be at home but it's not worth risking injury to your stars in Week 18. 

Also, it just seems like there's so many terrible games each week, maybe because the NFC overall is awful. There are a few powerhouse teams in the NFC, then a TON of total garbage teams. This seems to lead to weeks where there's a lot of lopsided matchups and not much in the way of exciting games. 

You know the NFL expected that with the extra week and 7 teams per conference that all sorts of scenarios would still be there and tons of teams would still be alive in week 18 for those last spots. Unfortunately, it's all pretty much wrapped up already, so most of these games are glorified preseason games. 

42 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Nope.  I never said that, I'll still be watching.  Go Bills

So you felt compelled to start a thread about an extra week of football that you said is not needed, "dumb" and "stupid"...so you could tell us you'll be tuning in anyway, presumably because you enjoy it so much?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So you felt compelled to start a thread about an extra week of football that you said is not needed, "dumb" and "stupid"...so you could tell us you'll be tuning in anyway, presumably because you enjoy it so much?

Oh please, at this point you're just twisting my words around for the sake of an argument.  Have a good day

16 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I don’t have a problem with it, except that due to having two home games to close out the season, it pushes a season ender deeper into the winter months. Plenty of playoff positioning excitement this year though … just make it an even 18 games moving forward, with perhaps an extra bye week

If the season's 20 weeks, 18 games + 2 byes, would they start 2 weeks earlier?

I think they should really do 19 weeks, 2 bye-weeks and expanded rosters.

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I was initially excited about it, but now that it's here this week feels unnecessary and not all that exciting. 

Almost every playoff spot is already locked up, although there are some seeding scenarios still up in the air. With only the 1 bye it takes a lot of drama out of this week, because there's not much difference in being the 2 seed or the 3 seed. If it goes chalk you're going to play each other in the divisional round, and yes you'd love to be at home but it's not worth risking injury to your stars in Week 18. 

Also, it just seems like there's so many terrible games each week, maybe because the NFC overall is awful. There are a few powerhouse teams in the NFC, then a TON of total garbage teams. This seems to lead to weeks where there's a lot of lopsided matchups and not much in the way of exciting games. 

You know the NFL expected that with the extra week and 7 teams per conference that all sorts of scenarios would still be there and tons of teams would still be alive in week 18 for those last spots. Unfortunately, it's all pretty much wrapped up already, so most of these games are glorified preseason games. 

Right, normal season we are AFC East champs already and prepping for the wild card. 

Least the owners got their $$$

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

Still don’t like it. Would’ve preferred to give every team 2 bye weeks - that’s an extra week of TV revenue, but no extra wear & tear on players. 

Plus I hate the inelegance of a 17-week schedule. Can’t have an equal number of home & road games. Final records will all be unpleasant to look at (10-7? Ugh.) And who makes their schedule a prime number? It’s weird and off putting. 

I'll watch the NFL every day of the week and all year long

1 hour ago, Cash said:

Still don’t like it. Would’ve preferred to give every team 2 bye weeks - that’s an extra week of TV revenue, but no extra wear & tear on players. 

Plus I hate the inelegance of a 17-week schedule. Can’t have an equal number of home & road games. Final records will all be unpleasant to look at (10-7? Ugh.) And who makes their schedule a prime number? It’s weird and off putting. 

it'll be 18 games very soon

• Like (+1) 1

18 games…mmmeehh. ONE of the key elements that makes the NFL “must see tv”?

I watched any random game last weekend and most games mattered and had significance. I’m not saying they are close to MLB, but 80% of MLB games quite literally don’t matter.

…they have to be careful to avoid bigger clutches of meaningless games (and teams)

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure I understand the logic of the "fan" who likes a limited season.  Yeah sure, it makes sense in many respects, but for we hardcore followers who dread the Feb. to Aug. down time, the more the better. 

I read any Bills' news 365 days a year.  Give me as much as feasible and I'll be happy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, TBBills said:

It's the reason this team needs a dome.

Not happening.  None of the major players in the stadium talks are considering a dome.

Moreover, the only northern or midwestern teams with domes are Detroit, Indianapolis, and Minneapolis.   That includes many stadiums built in the last decade or so.   Think about it ... cold weather teams like the Patriots, the Jests, the Giants, the Browns, the Bears, the Packers, the Broncos and the Chiefs all have open stadiums.  I think most cold-weather cities/teams building new stadiums opt for open stadiums because of economics.  Not only are open stadiums cheaper to build, they are infinitely cheaper to operate.  It's much cheaper to heat or cool smaller spaces like concourses, boxes, locker rooms, etc than a giant dome ... not to mention that for most of the season, most of those northern teams are not going to be playing in really cold or snowy weather.

• Agree 1

IMO the NFL didn’t need a 17th game or a 7th playoff team in each conference.  But this is what happens when squeezing the last nickel out of something is the primary factor in decision making rather than maintaining a high quality product.  I see a 20 game season with 18 games and 2 byes on the horizon.  I wouldn’t be surprised by an eighth playoff team either.  The only upside is the reduction of preseason games. 

1 hour ago, Deadstroke said:

I'm not sure I understand the logic of the "fan" who likes a limited season.  Yeah sure, it makes sense in many respects, but for we hardcore followers who dread the Feb. to Aug. down time, the more the better. 

I read any Bills' news 365 days a year.  Give me as much as feasible and I'll be happy. 

I agree with the longer season. However, if another game is added they should start the season a week earlier and add a 2nd bye week.  I am all for football spanning seasons and some of the games being played in the elements. Another winter game due to length of the season may be a bit much for the fans. 

On 1/7/2022 at 6:21 AM, GunnerBill said:

They did actually cut a pre-season game down to 3... but then had a bye week before the season. I agree with you if they want to have 18 weeks start a week earlier. I think there are historical reasons about college football's start date etc as to why they didn't. 

It's not really to do with college football.    They don't want to start the season on Labor Day weekend.    We have 3 big "outdoor" holidays here in the US that people plan family trips around and that's the last one of the calendar year.    The NFL has had the opener on Labor Day weekend but the ratings are way below expectation and they don't want to kickoff their season that way.

For TV purposes having the season end the last week of February is ideal.   February is a programming deadzone for sports here.    So expect the season to continue to be pushed back.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I agree with the longer season. However, if another game is added they should start the season a week earlier and add a 2nd bye week.  I am all for football spanning seasons and some of the games being played in the elements. Another winter game due to length of the season may be a bit much for the fans. 

Tasker has kicked around the idea of starting the season in mid-August and then giving everyone a bye on Labor Day weekend.    Problem is people don't want to sit inside and watch football on a summer weekend afternoon so ratings-wise it will be something of a depressed start unless they played all the games in the evening.     And the having a bye two weeks into the season doesn't really provide much relief to players.   Both byes need to be between weeks 6-14, IMO.

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Tasker has kicked around the idea of starting the season in mid-August and then giving everyone a bye on Labor Day weekend.    Problem is people don't want to sit inside and watch football on a summer weekend afternoon so ratings-wise it will be something of a depressed start unless they played all the games in the evening.     And the having a bye two weeks into the season doesn't really provide much relief to players.   Both byes need to be between weeks 6-14, IMO.

So a 20 week season, starting when the current one does (2nd Sunday in Sept), running through to basically the final Sunday of February. Two byes... say every team has one between weeks 5 and 10 and then a second between weeks 13 and 17.... then everyone is playing the first 4 weeks, the last 3 weeks and for a couple of weeks in the middle (including the Thanksgiving weekend). Is that the kinda structure you forsee? Clearly the league will push for 18 games at the next CBA. 

• Like (+1) 2

If they're going to do a 20 week season with 2 bye weeks they should also make the bye week structure more fair. Having one bye in week 6 followed by 11 straight regular season games is a distinct disadvantage.

I think they should have 4 bye week pairs with 8 teams assigned to each pair. In a 20 week schedule I would have the bye week pairs as weeks 7 and 13, weeks 8 and 14, weeks 9 and 15, and weeks 10 and 16.

With that structure:

1) Every team would have bye weeks at reasonable points in the season.

2) The most consecutive regular season games played after the 2nd bye week would be just 7.

3) A team's 2nd bye week would always be spaced 6 weeks after the 1st bye week.

4) Every team would play in the last 4 weeks of the season which would be an exciting home stretch.

Ideally the 8 teams in each bye week pair would be teams from the same two divisions. So teams in each division would have the same bye weeks as their divisional rivals.

Yeah I've given this way too much thought.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Ideally the 8 teams in each bye week pair would be teams from the same two divisions. So teams in each division would have the same bye weeks as their divisional rivals.

so then, it should be the AFC division that's playing that particular NFC division that season? 

and to be silly here:  maybe the superbowl champion can decide which bye weeks it wants, and then the rest of the bye schedule would be automatic off of that, since the divisions will travel together through byes.  And it should be BEFORE the superbowl team sees the schedule.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.