Now that Week 18 is actually here, do you like having the extra game or not?

BillsPride12

46 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If the 17th game hadn't happened the Bills would likely not win the division. We would have one less win (WFT) while the Pats would have one less loss (Dallas). We would be 9-6, they would be 10-5 heading into the final week. If they beat Miami on Sunday, they would have been division champs.

That was a bit flukey. For the most part it should’ve introduced some parity into the league as it gives more tough games for division winners and more easy games for teams that finished 4th. I also think another bye would be good. To make the schedule work just remove the preseason. 

32 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

Well it has led to the talk of a kneel down game which is almost as good as a slow news day in the offseason

I would rather see this than a preseason game, so I'm good with it. 

2 preseason games is enough, even though there were some teams that started slow because of it. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean your case is kind of dead in the water based on what you said.  

There are a TON of playoff implications this final weekend in both the NFC and AFC.  I would say the NFL got exactly what they wanted out of this.  

I still think it should have stayed the way it was for player safety reasons, continuity with the record books, etc.  But hard to argue what you just said given the playoff picture is still so unsettled and is going to make for a lot of final week drama.

I think they wanted more teams still 'in it' later even more than they wanted the straight up revenue from the extra game. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

We should be watching playoff football this weekend!!!  We don't need an extra week of regular season football to know which teams belong in the playoffs.  

And yes I know that the NFL's reason for this is simply $$$$$$$

But I'm just asking from a fan's standpoint.  I said from the beginning it was dumb but when it was first announced a lot of people were excited for it saying it was good to see more football etc. but from what I have been seeing on Twitter and other sources now that we are actually here it seems like most people are changing their tune and admitting an extra week of regular season football instead of jumping into the playoffs is stupid.  

Where do you stand?

Nobody is holding a gun to your head to watch that extra game.If you don’t like it then find something else to do.

• Like (+1) 1

We should be watching playoff football this weekend!!!  We don't need an extra week of regular season football to know which teams belong in the playoffs.  

But I'm just asking from a fan's standpoint.  I said from the beginning it was dumb but when it was first announced a lot of people were excited for it saying it was good to see more football etc. but from what I have been seeing on Twitter and other sources now that we are actually here it seems like most people are changing their tune and admitting an extra week of regular season football instead of jumping into the playoffs is stupid.  

Where do you stand?

Agreed. The division should be ours and we should be watching playoff football this weekend.

I wonder who gets hurt for the playoffs.

Where do you stand?

more better good

3 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

i dont hate it...four preseason games was a bit ridiculous.  Compromise wouldve been starting the actual NFL season a week earlier to make up for the extra week tacked on the end.  Seeing an extra NFC team during the regular season every year is kind of interesting...gives you more rivalry chances as youre playing the team that finished in the same placement as you within their own division.  so now we'll see the cowboys twice as much as normal probably.  next year we'll get the rams again as our extra game.

Right. It's not the fact that they went to 17 games, it's the fact that the regular season is going until almost mid January that I don't really like. If they moved it up a week to start Labor Day weekend, that would be great. I think replacing a preseason game with another regular season game was a good move

Where do you stand?

I already posted this in the "why didn't Josh take the check down" thread but will also put here as the info is relevant to why week 18 is gonna be epic and

not stupid-

Like AB Josh is trying to reach his contract incentive bonus. If he is not allowed to throw deep against the jets don't be surprised if he removes his pants and runs off the field. I am told by legit source that he will not remove his jersey as that has already been done. so the pants removal is the plan. So those of you Bills mafia who are a bit squeamish you have been forewarned, oddly enough for the first time this season the wife is highly interested in watching Sundays game.

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean your case is kind of dead in the water based on what you said.  

There are a TON of playoff implications this final weekend in both the NFC and AFC.  I would say the NFL got exactly what they wanted out of this.  

I still think it should have stayed the way it was for player safety reasons, continuity with the record books, etc.  But hard to argue what you just said given the playoff picture is still so unsettled and is going to make for a lot of final week drama.

Everything you said is spot on.  There has never been the final week of a season when so many games had playoff implications.

All of the additional league revenue and player salaries paid, is a driving force for all of the changes.  Money will drive future changes as well.  Things like an 18th game, expansion teams in North America, and expansion into Europe may all happen, if they drive enough revenue to influence the owners.  Fan reaction will always be mixed on any changes like these and we always seem to get over it and keep following our favorite team.

• Like (+1) 1

I like it because it's easier to swallow a loss knowing you have that little extra margin for error.

8 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There is no amount of nfl football that could be to much for me. It’s my favorite thing that’s not a person. I wish there were 21 games. The more the better. Even still 18 weeks goes by so fast. The off-season is so long. You have to cherish every moment of the season. I wish there were 5 more games.

I'll go with water.

—HS Section champ Nov 8
—Super Bowl 1990 Jan 28

—Super Bowl 2022 Feb 13

NFL getting too far into February. covid is wrecking roster havoc but SB should not creep to Valentine’s Day! 

I like the extra wildcard but SB is getting very late

Edited by Since1981

More football is better, no matter how you slice it. Although, they cut a week of preseason ball, so it's really the same amount of football. It's just that one of the crappy, meaningless games has been replaced by a meaningful game, in which we will hopefully win the division, playing a division rival, at home.

I'm sorry, what is it we're complaining about again...?

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If the 17th game hadn't happened the Bills would likely not win the division. We would have one less win (WFT) while the Pats would have one less loss (Dallas). We would be 9-6, they would be 10-5 heading into the final week. If they beat Miami on Sunday, they would have been division champs.

If we are playing such a "what if" game, then the schedule would have been different, we may not have played the first game against the Pats** in that fluky windy weather and would have whopped their collective rears. In which case, we would be 10-5, they would be 9-6 and by winning this Sunday we would be division champs. Same outcome 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

What’s stupid is pushing the season deeper into December and January in the Upper Midwest and Northeast.  It shows blatant disregard for the game and the fans.  There is no reason for the regular season to start after Labor Day.  

6 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Where do you stand?

Agreed.

Extra bucks in exchange for extra chances of injury and extra wear and tear on the players. No thanks, but the ship has sailed.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

18 game season is better.  Expand roster to 58 players.  Get rid of all the pre-season games.  Keep one if you absolutely want to.  2020 they had none and the product on the field was no different than 2019 and 2021.  Every poster on this board could have accurately predicted 50-52 of the players they kept.  The bottom 3-5 guys are all interchangeable with a PS guy anyways.    No need to risk injury in a pre-season game.  15 real games and they still couldn't figure out Bates was the best option at OG, and PS DT is dressing for games while a 2nd round pick is not.  A glorified scrimmage isn't going to help them figure it out anymore than what they see or don't see in practice.  

I agree that 18 is the optimum number. It's also easier from a scheduling POV:

- 6 in-division games

- 8 games v 2 NFC divisions (play the same 2 divisions every 2nd year)

- 4 games v 1 AFC division (play the same division every 3rd year)

10 AFC games + 8 NFC games every year. Would obviously be the opposite for NFC teams.

Edited by SydneyBillsFan

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

12 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Where do you stand?

Totally wish there was another week of regular season football.  Heck give me 3 or 4 more weeks of football.

I have not heard anyone except you complain - I would love it if the added more football and went to March.  Get rid of Baseball and add more Football.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Don’t like it. It’s an oddball number and 18 is too many. 16 is just right; they should have left it alone. MNF during playoffs is stupid too. 

12 used to be just right, then 14 was just right - then 16 became just right.  It was not just right it was what you were used to.

18 is a round number - 20 is even more round.  I don’t want them leaving things alone - they should always be looking at change because if they don’t- they become Baseball.  They go from America’s sport to an afterthought because as the wold changed - Baseball refused.  TV was coming - they had opportunities to make changes and make the game better for TV, speed things up, and they went with tradition and became an afterthought.

Change is how they will survive and continue to grow.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

i dont hate it...four preseason games was a bit ridiculous.  Compromise wouldve been starting the actual NFL season a week earlier to make up for the extra week tacked on the end.  Seeing an extra NFC team during the regular season every year is kind of interesting...gives you more rivalry chances as youre playing the team that finished in the same placement as you within their own division.  so now we'll see the cowboys twice as much as normal probably.  next year we'll get the rams again as our extra game.

They did actually cut a pre-season game down to 3... but then had a bye week before the season. I agree with you if they want to have 18 weeks start a week earlier. I think there are historical reasons about college football's start date etc as to why they didn't. 

13 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Where do you stand?

Change is inevitable.  Deal with it.   An extra game that actually counts for something beats the crap out of a meaningless pre-season game, so I'm good with an 18 week regular season.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Change is inevitable.  Deal with it.   An extra game that actually counts for something beats the crap out of a meaningless pre-season game, so I'm good with an 18 week regular season.

I agree change is inevitable.  Doesn't mean we can't have a discussion on whether we think the change is for the better or not.  I will add to my original point I would probably feel differently if we were still watching the drought era Bills, and I'm sure fans of bad teams like getting to see their team for an extra week.  I get that.  But for me as a fan of a good team...how great does that feel to be able to say that these days!?...I guess I am just overlooking this weekend's game and it feels kind of meaningless for us(sidenote: Yeah I get that the AFC East division crown is still in play, but like I've previously said all that would have been on the line last week if it was still a 16 game schedule so that doesn't really change my mind) I am already thinking about the playoffs. 

• BillsPride12 changed the title to Now that Week 18 is actually here, do you like having the extra game or not?
1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Updated

1 minute ago, BillsPride12 said:

I agree change is inevitable.  Doesn't mean we can't have a discussion on whether we think the change is for the better or not.  I will add to my original point I would probably feel differently if we were still watching the drought era Bills, and I'm sure fans of bad teams like getting to see their team for an extra week.  I get that.  But for me as a fan of a good team...how great does that feel to be able to say that these days!?...I guess I am just overlooking this weekend's game and it feels kind of meaningless for us(sidenote: Yeah I get that the AFC East division crown is still in play, but like I've previously said all that would have been on the line last week if it was still a 16 game schedule so that doesn't really change my mind) I am already thinking about the playoffs. 

This game isn't meaningless!  The Bills will win the AFCE if they beat the Jests regardless of what New England does.

It's also not meaningless for Indianapolis, LA Chargers, and Raiders.  It's also not meaningless for Arizona, LA Rams, New Orleans, and San Francisco.

It's not even meaningless for the #1 AFC seed Tennessee.  If they lose to the Texans, they might lose their #1 seed.

That's at least 10 teams that can change their playoff status depending on the outcome of this week end.

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

This game isn't meaningless!  The Bills will win the AFCE if they beat the Jests regardless of what New England does.

It's also not meaningless for Indianapolis, LA Chargers, and Raiders.  It's also not meaningless for Arizona, LA Rams, New Orleans, and San Francisco.

It's not even meaningless for the #1 AFC seed Tennessee.  If they lose to the Texans, they might lose their #1 seed.

That's at least 10 teams that can change their playoff status depending on the outcome of this week end.

That's only because they added an extra game!  If they add an 18th game we could say all the same things all over again.  If it was still a 16 game schedule all these scenarios would have been on the line last week

13 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm fine with it, but I am ready for the playoffs.

I do think it is overkill to go to 18 games. I hope they don't do that.

but they will. We'll see 2 and 18 soon and probably shorter careers

Edited by nucci

It is a loooooong time between the end of the season and September to me because I love the game so much, so for me I welcome the extra game. But, I also want a dome where it doesn't matter that it's January. Keep that in mind when the games go to 18 games, and they will. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.