Matt Barkley released by Carolina [now: Claimed by Falcons]

mushypeaches

Just now, mushypeaches said:

Barkley released by Carolina in a series of moves they made today.  I think this is a perfect opportunity to add to our practice squad as a Covid contingency at the very least.  There's really no downside and I'd rather have him go in vs Davis Webb if it ever comes down to that

This is a great thought. We have the room on the PS since Fromm has gone on to be the star starting QB for the Giants. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I don’t get why they are so dead set on getting Darnold killed.   I would play Barkley and get Darold healthy for next season or wrap him in bubble wrap for a possible trade. 

Nobody would ever trade for Darnold with the $18.858 million guaranteed salary for 2022.  Carolina has to decide whether it's worth that $ in dead cap space not to have him around or get some more lousy QB play for their $18+ million.  They're dead set on finding out if he's salvagable enough to be an $18 million backup or just bite the bullet & cut him.  If it's the latter, they don't care about his future, which might be a low paid backup or a real job.  

There was a story think it may have been in the Athletic I read a couple weeks back that suggested this.  Stated Darnold would likely be activated soon  and once he was, a QB would be released likely Barkley and the Bills may want to sign in to PS and keep him away from everyone else like they did last year with Fromm in case of Covid

54 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Nobody would ever trade for Darnold with the $18.858 million guaranteed salary for 2022.  Carolina has to decide whether it's worth that $ in dead cap space not to have him around or get some more lousy QB play for their $18+ million.  They're dead set on finding out if he's salvagable enough to be an $18 million backup or just bite the bullet & cut him.  If it's the latter, they don't care about his future, which might be a low paid backup or a real job.  

I see zero upside in playing him.  He will suck and/or get hurt yet again.  If they draft a QB I would think they would want Darnold around as a bridge.

Besides, a trade is always possible if the terms are reasonable.   Beane got something for TT. 

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

I remember when both of these guys were being discussed here as possible first overall picks in the draft. Barkley stayed at USC a year to long and fell to the fourth round, while Darnold went third overall, four picks ahead of some guy from Wyoming.

There hasn't been 1 great QB come out of USC.  Not even Jordan's brother.  I could see McD grabbing him as insurance considering he's friends with JA and knows the playbook. 

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

I remember when both of these guys were being discussed here as possible first overall picks in the draft. Barkley stayed at USC a year to long and fell to the fourth round, while Darnold went third overall, four picks ahead of some guy from Wyoming.

Don’t compare Darnold to that guy from Wyoming. The dude from Wyoming has accuracy issues and you can’t fix those. 

• Haha (+1) 8

18 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Falcons claimed him. 

Will the other Josh make it to Buffalo or is he gone before Sunday?  

Edit: It looks like their 3rd stringer was put on the Covid list, so Josh Rosen will be doing his best JP Losman immitation, bearded & sulking on the sidelines

Edited by Albany,n.y.

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I don’t get why they are so dead set on getting Darnold killed.   I would play Barkley and get Darold healthy for next season or wrap him in bubble wrap for a possible trade. 

Darnold has zero trade value. Also he might not be on Carolina after this year. I wouldn’t doubt he ends up here backing up Josh. 

• Like (+1) 3

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Matt Barkley released by Carolina [now: Claimed by Falcons]

He is a good back up.  Carolina wasted his time.  They played dead armed Cam.  Atlanta is going to be a cup of coffee stop.  I hope he lands a better gig in the off season.  Backing up a young QB who needs a veteran to show him the ropes.

2 hours ago, Nitro said:

He is a good back up.  Carolina wasted his time.  They played dead armed Cam.  Atlanta is going to be a cup of coffee stop.  I hope he lands a better gig in the off season.  Backing up a young QB who needs a veteran to show him the ropes.

Darnold has been hurt.   More work helps the Panthers decide what to do about him for next year.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Darnold has zero trade value. Also he might not be on Carolina after this year. I wouldn’t doubt he ends up here backing up Josh. 

Darnold's 5th year option was picked up by Carolina.  They have to pay him somewhere between 16M to 21M for next year.  They need to let him get all the reps for the next two games before deciding whether he will be a transition QB 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.