One other thing that needs to be addressed is WR

78thealltimegreat

Every time Tom got in trouble today he would just throw a lollipop to Evans and Gronk and either get a catch or PI

We don’t honestly have a receiver that can make a contested catch…we keep throwing the the fade and back shoulder to receivers who are solid but really aren’t the type of athletes to go get a ball

We probably need to add that to our list of offensive needs after G, TE2, and RB 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Every time Tom got in trouble today he would just throw a lollipop to Evans and Gronk and either get a catch or PI

We don’t honestly have a receiver that can make a contested catch…we keep throwing the the fade and back shoulder to receivers who are solid but really aren’t the type of athletes to go get a ball

We probably need to add that to our list of offensive needs after G, TE2, and RB 

The fade at the end of the game was the absolute dumbest call you could have made. In a tie with the fake punt 

• Agree 8

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

What’s a lollipop throw?

Soft lob meant to be high-pointed by a tall receiver.

5 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

The fade at the end of the game was the absolute dumbest call you could have made. In a tie with the fake punt 

Agreed.  It puts the game in the hands of the refs, sort of daring them to throw the flag, which you know they aren't going to do in that situation.

Sanders wasn’t what we needed. He’s only taken snaps & time from the development of Davis. And as much as  they may rave about Sanders in practice, he has been woeful at being in position on the deep throws and the drops.

But yes, we absolutely need a guy who can make the leaping / contested catch on more float-y passes… that our own defense has been burned by so frequently (the Hail Murray and like every pass in the Pitt game).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, UConn James said:

Sanders wasn’t what we needed. He’s only taken snaps & time from the development of Davis. And as much as  they may rave about Sanders in practice, he has been woeful at being in position on the deep throws and the drops.

But yes, we absolutely need a guy who can make the leaping / contested catch on more float-y passes… that our own defense has been burned by so frequently (the Hail Murray and like every pass in the Pitt game).

One thing Sanders and Davis has in common is neither are threats to get YAC.  Davis has 90 yards on 19 receptions with Sanders gaining 74 on 39 catches.  

I don't know about everybody else, but I am thrilled to see the return of the "we need a tall physical WR" thread. 

Next up: the Play Jake Kumerow thread, previously known as the Play Duke Williams thread.

Serious comment: yeah, we kind of need that guy, unless Gabe is that guy. I would love a 2nd TE right about now even more since I kinda sorta think blocking is an area of need too.

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

Davis has 90 yards on 19 receptions with Sanders gaining 74 on 39 catches.

Wow, that's ... really bad. Particularly Sanders.

It's a major and an overlooked need. 

Outside of o line probably the biggest need on the team.

The Sanders signing made 0 sense when it happened and thats showing now. But McBeane's been after him for a while, and you know how they are with "their guys." Doesn't matter that he was 34yo, 5 foot 11, and not at all what this offense needed. They decided years ago that he fits the process, and that's that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Governor said:

We’ve needed a Mike Williams type WR for a long time. Diggs isn’t a true number 1 and is really small.

Evans was available not long ago but most here didn’t think he was all that good.

Diggs isn’t a #1 wr….interesting 

john Brown is a street free agent if sanders is injured for a while. Not the worst choice, knows the offense a 

And was a deep threat

44 minutes ago, UConn James said:

I'm done with Sanders. We will need a replacement for Beasley/McK soon and we need to get Gabe much more involved. We'll need a big Redzone threat. But right now all emphasis must be on completely overhauling the OL.

I don't think it needs to be addressed as if it's a problem like the lines for example, but I'm a big fan of drafting weapons early and often every single year if you have a QB like Josh Allen. Gabe Davis is better than the time he's been seeing, that might change a bit in the coming weeks after today considering injuries. Last couple of weeks he's looked like very solid, #2 solid.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, kjack151 said:

Is Isaiah Hodgins still around?  I thought he might be the answer for a physical receiver if he ever gets healthy.  

If Sanders walks after this year, I think Hodgins will surprise in a good way when he’s on the field. Supposedly he has some of the best hands on the team and is just as smart as Gabe in terms of knowing all the positions. His downfall so far has been availability. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Governor said:

We’ve needed a Mike Williams type WR for a long time. Diggs isn’t a true number 1 and is really small.

Evans was available not long ago but most here didn’t think he was all that good.

You’re really doubling down on this nonsense?

Edited by Bangarang

1 hour ago, Governor said:

Diggs is absolutely a #1 lol. Maybe the #2 and beyond needs more height sure, in which case start with Gabe Davis and then draft more height.

And by Mike Williams did you mean Mike Evans? Evans is a first ballot HOF at this point sure, he's incredible. I'd take Diggs over Mike Williams of the Chargers in a heartbeat, however, but yeah I guess he'd be a good second option.  

Edited by Nelius

Our wide receivers are fine do you need a second tight end preferably one that can block

people just don’t understand you put consistent pass protection around Josh Allen and offensive line that can get a first down on the ground with confidence and this is a super bowl team you can pick at every position as much as you want but it starts and ends with the ol for about three more wins season

Edited by John from Riverside

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Allen Robinson and Chris Godwin are both UFAs next offseason. Those would be my targets. With the increased cap space I believe we can afford one. Godwin will probably re-sign in Tampa but I bet Robinson will be looking for a change of scenery.

get Robinson and another Robinson (James from Tampa.  See if we could trade a 2nd for him).  Draft OL in Rd 1 and 1T in round 3.  

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Our wide receivers are fine do you need a second tight end preferably one that can block

people just don’t understand you put consistent pass protection around Josh Allen and offensive line that can get a first down on the ground with confidence and this is a super bowl team you can pick at every position as much as you want but it starts and ends with the ol for about three more wins season

We need more offensive weapons almost as much as this post needs punctuation…

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Governor said:

Yeah, he's not a true #1. True #1's would have had over 200 catches already in less than two seasons with this team, unlike Dig......um, nevermind.

Your take is not only misinformed, it's down right hilarious because it is so freaking awful. 

Edited by Beast

9 hours ago, McBean said:

We need to draft and sign nothing but offensive lineman and weapons this off season.

We have Josh fkn Allen at qb. Our time is now and we need to get him weapons. 

This is right, we have put so much money and high draft picks in the defense these last few years (with marginal results frankly). Protecting Josh and letting the offense be successful are priority 1.

McDermott is a defensive coach, coach up lesser players to compliment a Josh Allen offense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Knox and Diggs

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Since 2000, I’ve been preaching that a Cold Weather (Rain, Sleet, Snow, Wind) needs ONE essential characteristic at WR & TE- 
HEIGHT!

The taller... the better! 

For years, OBD  went after these sub 6’ speed Smurfs from the SEC!

They can’t cut it it the cold & wind on Fade Patterns and jump balls... even from a (finally) large QB! 

10 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Since 2000, I’ve been preaching that a Cold Weather (Rain, Sleet, Snow, Wind) needs ONE essential characteristic at WR & TE- 
HEIGHT!

The taller... the better! 

For years, OBD  went after these sub 6’ speed Smurfs from the SEC!

They can’t cut it it the cold & wind on Fade Patterns and jump balls... even from a (finally) large QB! 

It's not a permanent solution but my red zone idea is to give Rousseau a couple goal line plays at WR.  He's got good hands and experience at playing WR in his development years so why not?  Find me one CB that's got the physical characteristics and height to cover him in the end zone?  Throw the ball 3 feet over everybody's head and he just reaches up and grabs the ball,  Could have been used in the last two game in late 4th quarter situations.  Why not give it a try?  Its better than coming up empty at the end of the game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.