When does McD go on the hot seat?

DrDawkinstein

As much as I hate to contribute to the over-reactionary, dramatic posts made after a loss, I feel this at least needs to be discussed.

First, I HATE the idea of changing coaches again. Good organizations do not do this. They simply make the adjustments where needed, and keep the ship sailing. So I do not suggest this lightly.

That said, while McD has been EXACTLY what the Bills needed as a culture-changing rebuilder, I am not sure he is the type of cut-throat destroyer needed to take our talent to the next level, keep the team playing tough, and lead us to the promise land for a Championship.

Reid, Arians, Belichick, Carroll... None of these guys are exactly "kumbaya culture" guys.

I dont know what else it will take to get this group pissed off and fired up to win. We are soft and finesse-y on both sides of the ball...

And this isnt even getting into how woefully unprepared we have been for most games this season, and how poor our players are at even the basics (tackling, catching, protecting the ball, etc).

Dude needs to show us something, fast.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 5
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 10

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As much as I hate to contribute to the over-reactionary, dramatic posts made after a loss, I feel this at least needs to be discussed.

First, I HATE the idea of changing coaches again. Good organizations do not do this. They simply make the adjustments where needed, and keep the ship sailing. So I do not suggest this lightly.

That said, while McD has been EXACTLY what the Bills needed as a culture-changing rebuilder, I am not sure he is the type of cut-throat destroyer needed to take our talent to the next level, keep the team playing tough, and lead us to the promise land for a Championship.

Reid, Arians, Belichick, Carroll... None of these guys are exactly "kumbaya culture" guys.

I dont know what else it will take to get this group pissed off and fired up to win. We are soft and finesse-y on both sides of the ball...

And this isnt even getting into how woefully unprepared we have been for most games this season, and how poor our players are at even the basics (tackling, catching, protecting the ball, etc).

Ok how did you put Arians in the same breath as those other coaches.  Also Carroll is the biggest damn cheerleader on the team!  You don’t get much more player friendly than him. So that disproves your theory they can’t win the big ones.

but Arians only got a championship because Brady took over last year and led the team like it was NE South and with that talent they never loss again. If Arians stayed calling plays they still be waiting for a championship. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Is it fair to ask if McD a Super Bowl level head coach?

I think it is early to jump to that. He was one game away last year. He is a really good football coach. 

The team isn't playing great right now and some of that is on him to get fixed but I trust he will. I don't think we can win the Superbowl until we have better personnel up front. I was hopeful coming into the year the DL would be upgraded (it probably has been but not by a lot) and the oline would at least be the above average pass blocking unit it was last year (it hasn't been). They are personnel questions as much as anything else IMO.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I understand the question, but it's not even close to time for this. OC needs to go, flat out. Unless he gets it turned around we have underperformed as an offense since last year's playoffs. 

If he finishes this year like he's doing right now he must go. If the problem persists, at that point it's a legit question. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Fixed your post for you.  While not agreeing or disagreeing with you as to whether a ""kumbaya culture" is good or bad, I do think with the exception of Belichick the other three are of that mindset at least from everything I've seen.

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is one of the worst ideas yet.  Congrats

Edited by Dablitzkrieg
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He doesn't for another year or so, or not unless something comes up about him losing the locker room, or some such.

Given the decades of clowns who've coached the Bills, I'm fine with another year or so from McD.  I would like to see another OC though, and really... the lines are pretty sucky and need to be addressed.  And, yeah, yeah, RB, another TE and so on.

I think if we miss the playoffs this year it will be hot especially considering the circumstances (6-3 start) and roster that this front office/coaching hand picked in terms of basically bringing back the same exact team from last year and refusing to do anything before the trade deadline.

To be honest though even if this team backs into the playoffs again like 2017 and is one and done for me it should still be the same circumstances.

34 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

The Colts are not 41-15 better than the Bills, even with the injuries. Colts secondary, like Jacksonville, was also missing key starters but it didn’t matter. Scheme is to blame.

Would have rather been in Indy today but that's just me.

#Domer

I'm thinking he's already on the hot seat, checked out, completely emotionless, players are disrespecting him, and he's delegating media days to assistant Coaches.  I don't think we have to wait long and come tomorrow we could see a surprise firing.  The past is the past if he's not producing when he's favored then that means that he's checked out on even trying and is living in his own past.  You cannot have that it means he's too lazy to be relied upon.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Would have rather been in Indy today but that's just me.

#Domer

I've gotta say that the dome argument thing delights me.  So the Bills get good in a dome then get their butts handed to them in a cold weather playoff game.  Then what happens?  "Why did we spend all of this money on that dome in the first place?  Nobody gives a crap about watching Jon Bon Jovi play a concert there in March."

Could happen...

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

We have 5th best regular season record in the whole league over the last 3 seasons and were in AFCCG last year.

Why are even reasonable posters going crazy after couple of bad losses?

He is as safe as anybody, as well as Beane.

its because the losses have the same theme.

1. Unable to run the ball, either by lack of intent or poor design.

2. Poor special teams play

3. Bone-headed coaching decisions

I would say stop the run, but thats only really been against the titans and colts who have arguably the best running backs in the league, but still, belichick finds a way to neutralize that, McD doesnt with his nickel scheme.

1 minute ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

its because the losses have the same theme.

1. Unable to run the ball, either by lack of intent or poor design.

2. Poor special teams play

3. Bone-headed coaching decisions

I would say stop the run, but thats only really been against the titans and colts who have arguably the best running backs in the league, but still, belichick finds a way to neutralize that, McD doesnt with his nickel scheme.

Nobody wants to listen but he's checked out, unemotional sideline semi-tantrums, a couple of waffle decisions, and he is ditching and ducking his Monday pressers and delegating nearly all media days to his assistant Coaches.  Bottom line is he's not getting ti done and something is wrong to the point where he's ready to bolt.

People are going to jump up and talk about how bad we were before him, right now we're looking drought-era Bills, and he's completely checked out, not motivating players, and reminding us of Dick Jauron and Canned Chan Gailey.  I'm sure they are happier with the end result but real fans want winning if McDermott cannot deliver to that end we can find someone else to deliver and Doug Pederson is the most likely to do it.

2 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Nobody wants to listen but he's checked out, unemotional sideline semi-tantrums, a couple of waffle decisions, and he is ditching and ducking his Monday pressers and delegating nearly all media days to his assistant Coaches.  Bottom line is he's not getting ti done and something is wrong to the point where he's ready to bolt.

he does seem like hes not into it this year. ive mentioned since the steelers game something is up with him. his PC after the titans game confirmed it for me.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

No time soon.

Do you not remember pre McDermott.?

We've been completely pounded by competitive franchises.  It looks like Frank Reich is the better Coach and McDermott only had a COVID season where he could do realistically anything.  Right now he's washing out of the NFL.

3 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

People are going to jump up and talk about how bad we were before him, right now we're looking drought-era Bills, and he's completely checked out, not motivating players, and reminding us of Dick Jauron and Canned Chan Gailey.  I'm sure they are happier with the end result but real fans want winning if McDermott cannot deliver to that end we can find someone else to deliver and Doug Pederson is the most likely to do it.

C’mon Man.  McDermott is doing the same pressers this season that he did last season.  He does a presser and his OC and DC do a presser on Monday.

You can talk about how he’s coaching but all this other stuff is baloney

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GETTOTHE50 said:

he does seem like hes not into it this year. ive mentioned since the steelers game something is up with him. his PC after the titans game confirmed it for me.

If he does anymore pressers I'd be surprised Daboll and Frazier have been running media Mondays for him.  Thinking we could hear a presser which starts off with one of them having to say he's pulling a Bobby P and leaving Buffalo.

51 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

IMO, McD would need a disappointing early playoff exit and to miss playoffs twice to get fired.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.