When does McD go on the hot seat?

DrDawkinstein

Just now, boater said:

You don't fire unless you know you have a better rehire lined up.

Women know this. They don't get divorced until they have the next Mr. Right lined up first.

Who is waiting out there better than McDermott or Beane? I suggest there are no better options, so STFU.

Doug Pederson might already be lined up and we might just be seeing McDermott having to look at that and know he's not going to stack up.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, boater said:

You don't fire unless you know you have a better rehire lined up.

Women know this. They don't get divorced until they have the next Mr. Right lined up first.

Who is waiting out there better than McDermott or Beane? I suggest there are no better options, so STFU.

Dan Mullen is available.

44 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As much as I hate to contribute to the over-reactionary, dramatic posts made after a loss, I feel this at least needs to be discussed.

First, I HATE the idea of changing coaches again. Good organizations do not do this. They simply make the adjustments where needed, and keep the ship sailing. So I do not suggest this lightly.

That said, while McD has been EXACTLY what the Bills needed as a culture-changing rebuilder, I am not sure he is the type of cut-throat destroyer needed to take our talent to the next level, keep the team playing tough, and lead us to the promise land for a Championship.

Reid, Arians, Belichick, Carroll... None of these guys are exactly "kumbaya culture" guys.

I dont know what else it will take to get this group pissed off and fired up to win. We are soft and finesse-y on both sides of the ball...

And this isnt even getting into how woefully unprepared we have been for most games this season, and how poor our players are at even the basics (tackling, catching, protecting the ball, etc).

Dude needs to show us something, fast.

We were discussing after the game the question of if there is something in the locker room undermining the team this year.

They aren't consistently playing better than sum of their parts like last season.......and that's a problem when you are "culture" based.

They obviously have issues with such a disparity between vaxxed and un-vaxxed players and anyone who doesn't think either side takes any issue with the other is kidding themselves.   You all gotta' be pulling the same direction and a wedge like that might be enough to contribute to a lack of focus and heart in some of these games.  

In his postgame interview McD was asked about Brown and Lotulelei and instead of saying he was concerned for their health and hoping they felt better........he said he "supported their decisions".   Like,  they got sick and missed time simply because of their decisions.   Ouch.   Not good.        

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

We've been completely pounded by competitive franchises.  It looks like Frank Reich is the better Coach and McDermott only had a COVID season where he could do realistically anything.  Right now he's washing out of the NFL.

Pounded by 2 teams out of 10 games. 

The 1 just lost to the 1 win Texans , who we shutout 35-0 or something. 

It's a strange league!

We got 7 games to fix the kinks. 

I trust this team to do that

We have the talent, a great roster, and now we've got a checked out Head Coach whose doing nobody any good if he's not going to produce.  You have to cut him loose if he's given up and checked out.  No matter what his excuses are he's not even attending pressers anymore.  Let him go, line up Doug Pederson, and we can wave by to McDermott.

21 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Not for a couple seasons at LEAST. If Matt Nagy can get as much time as he has, there's no reason Sean can't get at least two more seasons unless something insane happens like 2-15 seasons. 

McD isn’t going anywhere, but I do see the situation as being different from Nagy. Allen is supposed to be an elite QB. Nagy’s had nothing but question marks at QB. The leash is shorter when you have a roster that’s supposed to be competitive. 

Just now, Thriftygamer83 said:

We have the talent, a great roster, and now we've got a checked out Head Coach whose doing nobody any good if he's not going to produce.  You have to cut him loose if he's given up and checked out.  No matter what his excuses are he's not even attending pressers anymore.  Let him go, line up Doug Pederson, and we can wave by to McDermott.

Yeah, I think we heard you the first 7 times......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Nobody wants to listen but he's checked out, unemotional sideline semi-tantrums, a couple of waffle decisions, and he is ditching and ducking his Monday pressers and delegating nearly all media days to his assistant Coaches.  Bottom line is he's not getting ti done and something is wrong to the point where he's ready to bolt.

People are going to jump up and talk about how bad we were before him, right now we're looking drought-era Bills, and he's completely checked out, not motivating players, and reminding us of Dick Jauron and Canned Chan Gailey.  I'm sure they are happier with the end result but real fans want winning if McDermott cannot deliver to that end we can find someone else to deliver and Doug Pederson is the most likely to do it.

This is a Hall of Fams Post. 

The same guy who got dropped off at his office a month ago, after a 35-0 shutout , checked out.   🙄 

We have gotten as far as we are going to with Sean.  It's time to admit his Coaching appeal and charms aren't working anymore.  The players aren't really listening anymore and pressers are usually done by Frazier and Daboll.  Getting completely dominated and blown out has to stop.  It's like he's waving a white flag and saying he's not up to the task of being a top-tier NFL head coach.

6 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

You would love that so your jets could get him 

Its all on MCD.  Its his job to have this team ready to play week in and week out.  He is not doing his job.  Our offensive and defensive coaching is over seen by MCD.

He is the reason that this team is not learning from its mistakes.

A good coach puts the best players on the field each week to win the game.

We have yet to do that.  Case in point out RB's. 

We keep playing people that should be on the bench.  If you can't play with attitude then sit your ass on the bench.

Our LB's have no game at all.  They are the root cause of this teams failure to stop the run.

When is the last time you have seen a highlight with our teams LB's flat out crushing a running back in the last 4 years.

You can probably after a tedious search find maybe 5 of these type of plays.  

MCD has a lot of work to do to save this season.....  Its up to him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

This is a Hall of Fams Post. 

The same guy who got dropped off at his office a month ago, after a 35-0 shutout , checked out.   🙄 

After we've been blown out, dragged through the mud, and a Coach who admitted he was out coached, didn't have players prepared, and couldn't motivate his own squad.  I'd say you move on if he's not living up to where he should be.  Have to cut your losses and let it go.  He's not that guy who just blew out a team he's a guy whose been thumped, out coached, and knocked out while having his assistant Coaches stand in for him.  Yeah, that's pretty clearly checked out to me.

10 minutes ago, 97bills said:

You would love that so your jets could get him 

Without Frazier or Daboll there's no value to McDermott whatsoever.  He's just another face who under performed and couldn't get the job done.  I'm a Bills fan and even I've had to repeat it when he cancels pressers and sends out his assistant Coaches.  That's meaning he's to far checked out to even be in the Jets coaching roster.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We were discussing after the game the question of if there is something in the locker room undermining the team this year.

They aren't consistently playing better than sum of their parts like last season.......and that's a problem when you are "culture" based.

They obviously have issues with such a disparity between vaxxed and un-vaxxed players and anyone who doesn't think either side takes any issue with the other is kidding themselves.   You all gotta' be pulling the same direction and a wedge like that might be enough to contribute to a lack of focus and heart in some of these games.  

In his postgame interview McD was asked about Brown and Lotulelei and instead of saying he was concerned for their health and hoping they felt better........he said he "supported their decisions".   Like,  they got sick and missed time simply because of their decisions.   Ouch.   Not good.        

I think there’s something to this.  They don’t seem be having as much fun as last year.  Somebody somewhere else said McD seems “checked out.”  I don’t see that.  But he strikes me as less enthusiastic lately than he had been earlier.  I overheard a conversation in which McD was involved (sounds weird, but a Bills employee driving near me had the Bluetooth cranked) and I overheard about 15 seconds of a call in which McD sounded happy and fired up about the season.  This was before the opener.  Now …. Maybe  sides were taken in the locker room, maybe he’s sick of the BS from Beasley and certain behaviors and choices, etc, of guys like star and brown.  Maybe it’s trudging through a season they thought would be breezy and waiting for the playoffs.  I don’t know.  But something seems way off at One Bills Drive. 

• Like (+1) 3

I don’t expect Mcd to be on the hot seat this off-season (right or wrong)but I do think coaching changes will be made.

Beane for all his magic has overvalued or ignored the trenches on this roster. 

Unless we somehow find a way to pull out a Super Bowl  appearance , this season will be a massive disappointment. Its been to this point anyhow but someone has to take the fall. 

I think Dabol will be out and it might not even be because he was offered a head coaching gig. He might not.  I’m ready for a fresh take with this offense and I do realize it’s not all on Dabol. But for whatever reason this offense hasn’t found any sort of rhythm this season. 

I think questionable play Design and  calls have really taken a step back this season. I think I would be fine with this and ready for a new direction: 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

14 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

After we've been blown out, dragged through the mud, and a Coach who admitted he was out coached, didn't have players prepared, and couldn't motivate his own squad.  I'd say you move on if he's not living up to where he should be.  Have to cut your losses and let it go.  He's not that guy who just blew out a team he's a guy whose been thumped, out coached, and knocked out while having his assistant Coaches stand in for him.  Yeah, that's pretty clearly checked out to me.

Without Frazier or Daboll there's no value to McDermott whatsoever.  He's just another face who under performed and couldn't get the job done.  I'm a Bills fan and even I've had to repeat it when he cancels pressers and sends out his assistant Coaches.  That's meaning he's to far checked out to even be in the Jets coaching roster.

Wait can you please provide proof to your claims of McD saying he couldn't motivate his squad? 

It was a rare bad day for the D , missed Star tremendously. And Edmunds! O had another stinker. 

But you are really reaching with these claims imo...

1 hour ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

If he doesn’t force Daboll to create a running game or fire him then he should be on hot seat

Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

There's nothing Daboll can do until we get some NFL RBs on the roster.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Daboll is horrible and if anyone needs to go its him.  The offense is a cluster F right now. 

Defensively we have no leaders...Addison?  Hughes?  Stick a fork in both of them.  They were awful today.  The only one on D playing with any intensity seems to be Oliver.

McD is always saying games are won in the trenches yet this team has a very bad O line and D line.  This team isn't physical at all. A shakeup is needed and quick.  

Edited by Azucho98

It pisses me off he won’t acknowledge the plays they are calling or trying to execute just hasn’t been working.

Yo coach! Game plan can be a reason for losing. Keep running that same Nickel Zone Defense….. Not being able to run the ball or hardly block is the issue on the other side.

He believes this is a physical team…. Well then, your game plan sucks! Against physical teams you gotta cause confusion up front by moving people around and crowd the line of scrimmage. Just lining up and saying “win your 1 on 1”…. Tells me you’re delusional. Cause that’s not gonna work with these guys

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As much as I hate to contribute to the over-reactionary, dramatic posts made after a loss, I feel this at least needs to be discussed.

First, I HATE the idea of changing coaches again. Good organizations do not do this. They simply make the adjustments where needed, and keep the ship sailing. So I do not suggest this lightly.

That said, while McD has been EXACTLY what the Bills needed as a culture-changing rebuilder, I am not sure he is the type of cut-throat destroyer needed to take our talent to the next level, keep the team playing tough, and lead us to the promise land for a Championship.

Reid, Arians, Belichick, Carroll... None of these guys are exactly "kumbaya culture" guys.

I dont know what else it will take to get this group pissed off and fired up to win. We are soft and finesse-y on both sides of the ball...

And this isnt even getting into how woefully unprepared we have been for most games this season, and how poor our players are at even the basics (tackling, catching, protecting the ball, etc).

Dude needs to show us something, fast.

uhhh... Reid coached for 20 years before winning a Super Bowl. Dude has lost multiple NFC and AFC Championship games. Pretty sure no one viewed him as a cut-throat destroyer prior to finally winning a championship 20 years into his coaching career.

Arians coached for 6 years before winning a SB and also... Tom Brady. 

Pete Carroll? 3 pretty mediocre years in New England in the late 90s after inheriting a team that had just been to the Super Bowl. Also hasn't been back to the Super Bowl with Seattle for 6 or 7 years despite making the playoffs every year. (maybe missed 1 in that stretch?)

Belichick is the exception... and what can you really say? McD isn't Belichick? No one is. 

Look, I get the frustration that this team isn't living up to the hype. It's disappointing, but progress is rarely linear. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BattlinBill said:

Ummm...he has made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years after two decades of hopelessness. How about we pump the brakes a bit.

This, 100%. I don't know if you remember the last 20 or so years before McDermott... Why don't you chill. You think any coaches have a clean year every year?

I'm so happy we are a contender and a solid team, I won't let a couple losses change that.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Wow. Where have I heard this before...?

People really should listen to me more.

21 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

If you're made at McDermott ask yourself would you rather have something like we used to have in his position.

Losing mentality. The options should not be McDermott or something bad like we had before.

McDermott should NOT be judged on what happened before him. He should be judged against the best in the league right now. The "just good enough" and "at least it's not as bad as it used to be" attitude in the fan base in Buffalo is pathetic.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t think he should be on the hot seat, but I think he needs to adjust his philosophy.  We need to get more physical on both sides of ball and that probably means getting rid of possibly both coordinators.  Daboll has shown no ability to put together a run game that doesn’t include putting his franchise QB in harms way.  And Frazier asks his D Linemen to be way too light and plays nickel the whole game.  The 2 ass beatings we are gonna get from New England will be final nail in coffin for Daboll and Frazier.  

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Most teams must be dealing with this - so (serious question) what would be the difference that other teams are dealing well, and the Bills might (as you hypothesize) be letting it divide them?

I’m not persuaded that’s the problem, though it’s an interesting hypothesis.  

I think that McDermott and Frazier really don’t have an effective defensive plan for a team with a punishing physical runner behind a top OL AND a QB who can make all the throws, especially when they’re missing 2 starters.  And I think Daboll doesn’t have an effective offensive plan for a run game that works with 3 backups playing on an already “Meh” OL.  I think the players go into the game not really believing in the plan and Allen goes into the game feeling like it’s all on him.

I’ll have to go listen to the presser I suppose, but saying he “supported their decisions” vs. expressing concern for their health makes it sound as though they’re not particularly ill and sounds like an aberration coming from McDermott, who is usually so centered around “people first”

Edit: OK, I watched the presser.

The context was that he was asked about whether the D missed Star.  Said “Respectfully, I’m going to talk about the players that were here”

Next question asked about the impact of Brown being out.  Said “Respect their decision but I’m going to talk about the guys that were here (or played)”. So in the context of that presser and what he was asked…it wouldn’t have made sense to say he’s concerned for their health and hoping they felt better, because he was asked about how them being out impacted the game today.  That said…

….my take is that McDermott is Pissed.  The pretty clear implication is that they’re not vaccinated and he’s not a a happy camper about losing them for potentially avoidable reasons.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, cDAVIS said:

This, 100%. I don't know if you remember the last 20 or so years before McDermott... Why don't you chill. You think any coaches have a clean year every year?

I'm so happy we are a contender and a solid team, I won't let a couple losses change that.

Agreed, if anything beane miscalculated putting together a reliable O line. McD has made some bad decisions and possibly even cost us games because of decisions but he's a great coach and there's absolutely no question that players want to play for him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.