Beasely update

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I doubt that Cole is being disciplined.  I think he, and the slot routes over the middle he runs so well, were what KC gameplanned to take away.

Agreed, and I apologize if it seemed as though I was insinuating that Cole was being disciplined. What I was trying to say is that in many, if not all, other industries or businesses employees (and that's what Cole is) face discipline or sanctions if their social media posts cause a detrimental perception of the business. I meant only to say that Cole's usage, social media presence, and his impact on the team as a whole are not necessarily related, but I've grown (been) tired of the "drama" or controversy surrounding this debate from really anyone, Cole's no different - it's just he plays for my favorite team in all of sports. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

Too many good players on offense, got to spread the ball around.  

When he first got here, Brown and McKenzie were the other top WR’s.   Now we have Diggs, Sanders, Davis, Knox…..  Someone has to see less balls.

He’s still part of our offense and will make plays for us.  Just not as many as over the last few years.

which will lead into the off-season question of his productivity-value versus his last year contract worth...so in between now and then, lets hope he remains happy and productive and contributes to the first downs, the TDs and the wins...its a more diverse offense now and he still has a part and he will have his moments...

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with the others who say his limited snaps were likely game plan specific.

in terms of the Twitter crap and vaccine protest, I’m glad to see the team is showing they will not be distracted by it. If anyone is distracted by it, it’s Beasley himself, who I do think is limiting his own potential.

hope he stays off Twitter and refocuses on football. One thing is for damn sure, you can win the Super Bowl but you can’t win Twitter.

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

If so, and I agree btw, what does this say about our improved ability to morph into ANYTHING we need to, to beat every team we face?

Yep. I think this may very well be the deepest, most balanced, and most versatile Bills team ever. I truly believe, this year, if this team is playing at their best on both sides of the ball, then they are unbeatable. 

14 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

KC really had no plan ready for us. This tape is gonna keep DC’s up at night.

They had a plan ready for us.

Their plan was

1) take away the stuff over the middle and the 10-20 yd stuff where Josh was deadly last season (they did)

2) know where Diggs is at all times and take him away

3) pressure Josh, he can't hit the deep stuff when he's pressured

4) take away the runs between the tackles, our backs don't have the speed to bounce outside

In order to do this they made the following assumptions:

1) Dawson Knox is not much of a receiving threat, especially deep

2) Josh won't check down or take the short stuff, he's just not wired that way

3)  The Bills won't be using the $258M man on designed run plays or letting him expose himself on scrambles

4) Josh has trouble hitting the deep shots, focus on taking the 10-20 yd stuff away

FAIL

3 hours ago, zevo said:

why

Because at best, arguing on social media is as useful as a Screen Door on a Submarine

At worst, it makes him and his SM a focal point instead of the rightful focal point on the team

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They had a plan ready for us.

Their plan was

1) take away the stuff over the middle and the 10-20 yd stuff where Josh was deadly last season (they did)

2) know where Diggs is at all times and take him away

3) pressure Josh, he can't hit the deep stuff when he's pressured

4) take away the runs between the tackles, our backs don't have the speed to bounce outside

In order to do this they made the following assumptions:

1) Dawson Knox is not much of a receiving threat, especially deep

2) Josh won't check down or take the short stuff, he's just not wired that way

3)  The Bills won't be using the $258M man on designed run plays or letting him expose himself on scrambles

4) Josh has trouble hitting the deep shots, focus on taking the 10-20 yd stuff away

FAIL

It was simply a pleasure to see that it was Mahomes who was the QB who got impatient, frustrated, and played mistake prone football because the defense took his big plays away...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It was simply a pleasure to see that it was Mahomes who was the QB who got impatient, frustrated, and played mistake prone football because the defense took his big plays away...

Indeed, and I was jumping up and down screaming whenever Josh successfully hit the hot read to the RB or receiver in the flat in the face of a blitzer.

Two years ago he NEVER did that.  Last year he did it, but not enough.

Amazing how, when a QB is harried and hurried and has balls being batted, he just doesn't look all-world

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

Yeah, and even when he is on the field he isn’t being targeted much. Think the Bills are trying to tell him something? Have to wonder if the Organization knows they won’t be able to keep him and Gabe Davis after 2021 and they are kicking the tires on that scenario. My money is on Davis.

Respectfully asking, how do you know which receiver is "targeted" on any given play?

In the context of this thread I assume you were meaning targeted by the COACHES and not by Allen.  But the QB doesn't always throw to option 1 on each play, so not sure, unless you know the play design, who the #1 target is on each play. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

I don't think you're being fair to Davis.

- He is not a consistent force in this offense because of Diggs and Sanders. No receiver short of the NFL's elite would overtake those two.

- You could say that Allen owes some of last year's success to Davis. I'll say that they teamed for some exceptional receptions.

However, I agree that a productive Beasley helps us to be the best that we can be.

This ^^

There's only one football out there. These are good problems to have.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a point that 22 snaps is still a significant percentage as we didn't have that many offensive snaps.

I agree with you. And said above that I think a lot of this was just the way the chips fell. 

That said Cole has had some issues with McD the last week or so., yelling on the sideline. Plus some dumb tiwtter nonsense.I don't think the Bills were making any statement with Beasley. But I do think something may be up and it may be reasonable to suggest things are not on the up and up. All of this is either created by Beasley in reality or in his head and it is making it worse.

Beasley had significant snaps tonight and didn't get the ball at all. It happens. If Cole stops getting the ball consistently and the offense keeps rolling, the "statement" isn't coming from McD or Daboll, it is coming from Josh himself by not getting him the ball. Find a way to be with this team or find another one. 

(I don't think there is a world where Josh does not feed a guy if there is no other play to be made)

• Agree 1

Perhaps there is something going on with Beasley but we have to get comfortable with the fact that week in and week out, there will be players who stand out and those that appear "ignored". I am seeing game plans specific to the opponents and you are not going to see people like Diggs, White, Oliver come out as play makers week in and week out. There will be rotation and there will be different players standing out from week to week. Yesterday, on O, it was Knox and Sanders. Next week it very well might be Diggs, Beasley and Singletary. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

I agree with you. And said above that I think a lot of this was just the way the chips fell. 

That said Cole has had some issues with McD the last week or so., yelling on the sideline. Plus some dumb tiwtter nonsense.I don't think the Bills were making any statement with Beasley. But I do think something may be up and it may be reasonable to suggest things are not on the up and up. All of this is either created by Beasley in reality or in his head and it is making it worse.

Beasley had significant snaps tonight and didn't get the ball at all. It happens. If Cole stops getting the ball consistently and the offense keeps rolling, the "statement" isn't coming from McD or Daboll, it is coming from Josh himself by not getting him the ball. Find a way to be with this team or find another one. 

(I don't think there is a world where Josh does not feed a guy if there is no other play to be made)

I don't think McD was happy with his twitter behavior before, but publicly calling out your own fans is an easy way to find your way to the dog house.  

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He finally took his own advise!

I have to imagine him insulting the entire Bills fan base didn’t go over too well with the coaches/front office/owners. I know if I insulted my work’s customers I’d probably be fired on the spot. Most people would.

I am not implying that I want him to be cut, or that I think he should be cut. I like Beasley and think he’s an important part of this offense but he needs to stay off social media with his anti-vax misinformation. We all know he refused to get vaccinated. We all know why he feels that way. But he just can’t let it go.

Remember his first press conference training camp when he said he’d make 1 final statement on the vaccines (then refused any questions on it) and that would be the last he said about it this season? Well, it’s about damn time.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That said Cole has had some issues with McD the last week or so., yelling on the sideline. Plus some dumb tiwtter nonsense

I thought the "yelling on the sideline" was debunked.  McD was yelling at the refs about a penalty, and Bease was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The Dumb Twitter Nonsense is true, and I don't think it made McD happy.  At least, when asked about fans booing and Beasley's tweets last night, McD looked like he'd swallowed an August persimmon.  I think Beasley got told "no more"

Beasley had significant snaps tonight and didn't get the ball at all. It happens. If Cole stops getting the ball consistently and the offense keeps rolling, the "statement" isn't coming from McD or Daboll, it is coming from Josh himself by not getting him the ball.

I think the "statement" is more coming from other teams and how they're covering us.

Beasley was one of the few aspects of our offense that "worked" in the AFCCG so naturally he got more attention from Spagnuolo

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Good for McD/Beane.  Social media and Bease are a bad mix.  He gets and spreads misinformation and was becoming a distraction to the team, even insulting the mafia.   

Put the damn phone away buddy and focus.

This is Comedy gold 😂😂😂😂😂

The irony is too much 😆

• Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1

A few things:

Beasley is a tremendous asset and just fun to watch 

While I don’t agree with him not getting a vax this is a subject than can and should be up to debate 

I’m glad he deleted Twitter - it’s a distraction

His lack of field time is likely a game plan not any discipline 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

After the first couple of JA17 runs last night, the Chiefs put more people in the box to stop it. Those extra people clogged the slot creating less opportunity for Beasley, but more opportunity for Sanders, Diggs and Knox deep and JA17 took advantage of that.

If Beasley is frustrated with his playing time, it has gone down this year, but that is mainly due to a healthy Sanders vs an oft injured John Brown last year.

As far as shutting down his tweeter, GOOD. He made his stance on the vax earlier. After last weeks game when he questioned whether Bills fans were all that great because a few drunks were yelling at him on the sidelines, that was a step too far and he needed to put the social media crap away and just play football.

I think his tweeter shut down will be temporary though.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

He finally took his own advise!

I have to imagine him insulting the entire Bills fan base didn’t go over too well with the coaches/front office/owners. I know if I insulted my work’s customers I’d probably be fired on the spot. Most people would.

I don’t want him to be cut but he needs to stay off social media with his anti-vax misinformation. We all know he refused to get vaccinated. We all know why he feels that way. But he just can’t let it go.

Remember his first press conference training camp when he said he’d make 1 final statement on the vaccines (then refused any questions on it) and that would be the last he said about it this season? Well, it’s about damn time.

Just to add to your excellent post, living in Cleveland, it seems obvious to me the NFL has a playbook and trains their players to talk about and treat their team's fans as the best in the league.  Browns players will say the exact same things about their fans as Bills players, so much of it is scripted.

I'm sure Cole taking the booing fans to task really chaffed the Bills front office and was addressed.  Personally, I think the lack of touches was a scheme thing as Diggs only had 2 receptions last night.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Beasley is upset over playing time in this giant win....I will not be much of a fan of him going forward.

C'mon Royale, no need for that. How about Beas is doing something team management wanted. The timing of the actions suggest a lot. 

And Kudos to McDermott. What a gutsy way thing to do. The biggest regular season game of the year. Wow, McD notched up his respect level from me, and I imagine from the team as well.

For those calling it a coincidence, here's another coincidence that will be occuring soon.  8-10 targets to Beas on Monday night at Tenn.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Just to add to your excellent post, living in Cleveland, it seems obvious to me the NFL has a playbook and trains their players to talk about and treat their team's fans as the best in the league.  Browns players will say the exact same things about their fans as Bills players, so much of it is scripted.

I'm sure Cole taking the booing fans to task really chaffed the Bills front office and was addressed.  Personally, I think the lack of touches was a scheme thing as Diggs only had 2 receptions last night.

Yeah I don’t think he was being punished last night. As you and others have said, I think it was just a game plan thing. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

He finally took his own advice!

I am not implying that I want him to be cut, or that I think he should be cut. I like Beasley and think he’s an important part of this offense but he needs to stay off social media with his anti-vax misinformation. We all know he refused to get vaccinated. We all know why he feels that way. But he just can’t let it go.

* FIFY

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just in Atlanta said:

A few things:

Beasley is a tremendous asset and just fun to watch 

While I don’t agree with him not getting a vax this is a subject than can and should be up to debate 

I’m glad he deleted Twitter - it’s a distraction

His lack of field time is likely a game plan not any discipline 

Very good, common sense take.   It's a long season.  He will still get his.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Davis has two years left after this one of a 4th round rookie deal. He is here until at LEAST the end of the 2023 season. 

Honestly based on age and contract I think Beas was always likely gone after this year. The vaccine thing makes it more likely. 

As for usage last night... especially first half the Bills used some funky formations and personnel groupings to confuse KC. Big personnel that they passed out of etc and I that had something to do with his lower than usual usage.

and also Knox being a viable weapon in the passing game hurts depth receivers. He’s more versatile to disguise personnel grouping intentions in the huddle than beasley would be as a 3rd route runner. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Beasley had a massive year last year.  In the Bills worst games he was neutralized.  Idk if it was causation or not but that is a popular game plan at the moment.  Even Diggs hasnt had the same amount of targets or production.  Buffalo will take advantage of whats there.  Beasley will have massive games just not the second option every game.   Game script has gone into it as well.  3 out of 5 games the ball game was over after the 3rd.

Edited by Mat68

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont like any of this.

The bills have biult this special camaderie (sp) that I I actually like and Bease as long as he is a member of this team is a part of it.

This feels cancerous.......and I really wish that McD would just get out in front of this and say Bease is a member of this team and one of us.

Maybe that's the whole point tho - if he's gonna be part of the team he needs to act like it and stop stirring ***** on Twitter.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Beasley is upset over playing time in this giant win....I will not be much of a fan of him going forward.

Disagree to an extent here.  If you’ve been a key contributor for past couple of seasons and suddenly you’re not getting many snaps, I want that player to be frustrated and want to contribute to the team more.

Now if he makes a big deal out of it, throws a fit on the sideline or something like that, then I get it and that’s unacceptable.  But I don’t want the best 3rd down slot WR in the past 2 years to be happy to not be on the field either.  

And right now, he hasn't become an issue that we know of, so I am fine if he, or any player, gets a little frustrated when not getting the opportunities he got previously because their competitor drive wants to help the team.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Disagree to an extent here.  If you’ve been a key contributor for past couple of seasons and suddenly you’re non getting many snaps, I want that player to be frustrated and want to contribute the more.

Now of he makes a big deal out of it, throws a fit on the sideline or something like that, then I get it and that’s unacceptable.  But I don’t want the best 3rd down slot WR in the past 2 years to be happy to not be on the field either.  

And right now, he hasn't become an issue that we know of, so I am fine if he, or any player, gets a little frustrated when not getting the opportunities he got previously because their competitor drive wants to help the team.  

Whatever anyone thinks of Beasley, there is no disputing that he is a fierce competitor who gives everything he can when he is on the field. I have no idea if he was frustrated in the game as that comes from someone's interpretation of a moment in the game, or, if he was, what he was frustrated about. However, I have no problem at all with him being frustrated at not being able to contribute more than he did - I would expect it from any competetive athlete. As you say, it is how he handles the frustration. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

After the first couple of JA17 runs last night, the Chiefs put more people in the box to stop it. Those extra people clogged the slot creating less opportunity for Beasley, but more opportunity for Sanders, Diggs and Knox deep and JA17 took advantage of that.

If Beasley is frustrated with his playing time, it has gone down this year, but that is mainly due to a healthy Sanders vs an oft injured John Brown last year.

As far as shutting down his tweeter, GOOD. He made his stance on the vax earlier. After last weeks game when he questioned whether Bills fans were all that great because a few drunks were yelling at him on the sidelines, that was a step too far and he needed to put the social media crap away and just play football.

I think his tweeter shut down will be temporary though.

Awesome post!! KC did this to the Bills in the championship game. The flare passes to the RBs are the keys to the code against this defense. Moss was very effective in that role. Hopefully the Bills continue to utilize Moss in this way. Notice I didn’t say Singletary.👀

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I hope this is just he don’t want the distraction of social media. I hope that the Bills find a way to get him involved in the offense. I can easily see teams mimicking the two deep safe defense that worked against KC.

If that’s the case they will need Beasley to help the dinking and dunking up the field.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.