John Brown designated to return from IR

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

This team with a healthy Smoke is just that much more dangerous... hope we can gradually bring him up to full speed. Last thing we want is to rush him and lose him for the post season. The Bills can still win without him, but he is definitely a player that increases those odds.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think practices all week. Remains on IR this week. Keeps him off roster for the high altitude game saving the open spot (his sickle cell) and allows a full two weeks of practice. Denver is down what four DBs. 

. Activated before NE game. 

• Like (+1) 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I think practices all week. Remains on IR this week. Keeps him off roster for the high altitude game saving the open spot (his sickle cell) and allows a full two weeks of practice. Denver is down what four DBs. 

Agreed.  Denver is a classic trap game before New England but they don't need Brown to beat them. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Bobby, nice pick up.  I usually am pretty up on the team, but missed the sickle cell notification in 2016.  I couldn’t agree more.  Even with the Pats, I’d like to see how he practices this week and next week.  If he is good, then maybe a pitch count to get him in rhythm.  If the second seed is on the line, then definitely the Fins for the game.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I mean he has played in Denver before so that won't be an issue but I could see them wanting to get up to speed more having been out a while and not bring him back right away.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I'm not sure it's Denver being altitude/sickle cell trait that keeps him off, but the guy was playing his way through an injury before he got injured again.  He's missed the buy week plus 3 weeks of games, so he's 4 weeks out of being in "football shape" even if his injury is healed. 

Makes sense IMO to give him a week or two of practice to work his way back into "football shape" before activating him.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Not with Sickle Cell brother.

Keep in mind Brown does not have sickle cell disease, he has sickle cell trait. 

That was not considered to be a barrier to playing in Denver when he was a FA:

https://thednvr.com/source-close-to-john-brown-says-sickle-cell-trait-wont-keep-him-out-of-denver-doctor-weighs-in/

He would have to be careful to stay hydrated and etc but those precautions apply pretty much anywhere.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Keep in mind Brown does not have sickle cell disease, he has sickle cell trait. 

That was not considered to be a barrier to playing in Denver when he was a FA:

https://thednvr.com/source-close-to-john-brown-says-sickle-cell-trait-wont-keep-him-out-of-denver-doctor-weighs-in/

He would have to be careful to stay hydrated and etc but those precautions apply pretty much anywhere.

True but why chance it?  I view it as doing with him what the Bills did with Morse.

18 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agreed.  Denver is a classic trap game before New England but they don't need Brown to beat them. 

Not even a semblance of a trap game when winning it means the division title. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'd play him and put him on a low-number pitch count.  See what the Denver DBs do to respond. 

Bringing in Smoke at this point of the year will have the same impact as when the Bills picked up James Lofton.  Suddenly the 2-D chess match becomes 3-D but only we know it's not 2-D.

Get up on Denver 21-0 in the first half, then sit Smoke for the rest of the game. 

31 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He has the trait, he doesn’t have sickle cell disease. He has had no symptoms. He had a cyst on his spine a few years ago which was attributed to his hamstring pain when he was in Arizona

Glad to have Smoke back.  The guy I am seriously rooting for is Taron Johnson.  Would be so awesome to learn that his concussion systems were mild,  Hate anyone to get a concussion no matter the team.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I'd play him and put him on a low-number pitch count.  See what the Denver DBs do to respond. 

Bringing in Smoke at this point of the year will have the same impact as when the Bills picked up James Lofton.  Suddenly the 2-D chess match becomes 3-D but only we know it's not 2-D.

Get up on Denver 21-0 in the first half, then sit Smoke for the rest of the game. 

Probably the best option.  If he's ready to go get him some in game action.  Davis has done a better job than I thought he would filling in for him and Denver is really hurting on their back end so he shouldn't have any issues against them.

It's all going to go to Beasley anyways going against their 15th string CB on defense.

Edited by The Wiz

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

We have no idea what shape he is in, whether he could have returned last week and played, if he is closer to 50% or 100%. If he is close to 100%, which is very possible, he should play. If not, which is very possible, sit him another week. It's as simple as that. 

They have 21 days to activate him.  If he’s ready, they will. If not, they’ll use the spot for someone else.  Bills have proved they can survive without him.  

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

How do you post this and look right past the GOAT Garrison Sanborn getting a looksie.

Bucs are Super Bowl bound now. cc @Gugny

You have the memory of an elephant.  Long Live Garrison Sanborn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Not when you're chasing the #2 seed and one game away from the division.

The Bills know what's at stake and they are focused, bro! McD doesn't let them overlook teams, it's just not his MO. In fact, his MO is opposite. He keeps them prepared.

10 hours ago, Doc said:

I'd activate him for Sunday and only play him if needed.  They need to put the division title away.

I'd be patient. Especially with the issues guys with his condition have had in Denver in the past. We need Brown for the playoff run. We have a chance to make the dance.