RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

Guy looks pretty solid on the highlight packages. Looks a little sluggish at times but seems to have a knack of getting to the ball. Looks like a solid tackler. Time will tell. This is the first draft where i've be able to sit back and watch it unfold without seeing names go without a little envy. 

1 minute ago, mannc said:

As of now, we have an offense that can't score enough points to beat good teams, no matter how good our defense is, and we aren't going to replace the QB.  Adding one WR is not enough.  

Hahahaha yeah and one second round RB or WR will do that hahahahahahah

Edited by Hardhatharry
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, mannc said:

As of now, we have an offense that can't score enough points to beat good teams, no matter how good our defense is, and we aren't going to replace the QB.  Adding one WR is not enough.  

Yeah its super important we upgrade our 4th WR who will see 10 snaps a game. Such an impactful spot on the roster.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  

Where do we need an upgrade on offense?  Why are people so freaking out about offense?  Our top 3 WR's are LOCKED.  No rookie is getting time.  We already have a young TE in Knox, and another in Sweeney.  Our OL is well stocked.  We have a lead RB and our QB.  

So can someone please explain to me why everyone is so panicked about the offense?  The ONLY thing we need is a COMPLIMENT to Devin.  We have a STARTING RB.  

There are a TON of RB's on the board and one will certainly be there in the 3rd.

Yet at DE, our starters are a combined 66 years old.  AJ Espensa is a first round grade who we got at pick 54 at a big position of need, especially going forward after just this next year.  

Our OL isn’t that good. Spain and Feliciano are just OK, and Ford is a huge question mark. Maybe Robert Hunt would have been their guy if he was still on the board, and I guess Beane didn’t see anyone else that could be an elite guard. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm kind of surprised, based on what I've heard he's a lot like Shaq Lawson. I don't hate the pick or anything, I just didn't think he would fit our defense.

Lawson was under rated for us IMO. Would love to have higher sack numbers from this guy but honestly as a second round pick if he has the same production as Shaq that wouldn't be bad. Shaq just wasn't worth $10 million per year without the consistent sack numbers. Had he been available to us for around $5 million per year he'd probably still be here. We had Shaq for 4 years for $10 million on his rookie deal.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Is it a ***** LAW that the network has to go to commercial whenever the Bills pick? This is like the millionth year in a row.

World didn’t get to see Beane’s dope draft cave!

Every single year.

Same with the Red Zone.  They can do a quadruple screen when the Bills are on the 10, and they'll still only go to the Bills score 10 minutes later.

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

At least we got size at the End position now, should help us from getting run over.

Think about this: Who do we need to contain? The Chiefs and The Ravens. What do they do: Bounce out to the edge.

Having a stopgap, bull-rusher who can clamp down one side of the line is going to be very important, in our push to the SB. Not a sexy pick, but a wise pick of great value.

• Like (+1) 2

What did the best offensive line prospects in the draft have to say about AJ...well you can read here and see what this is a GREAT pick:

That's what we saw. But what we heard during interviews with the offensive players who faced him was a very different story.

Michigan left tackle Jon Runyan, who provides deeply technical insights into his opponents, said Epenesa was tied with Ohio State's Chase Young as the two toughest defenders he ever faced.

"A.J. exploits the weakness of what I play," Runyan said. "I'm a vertical setter, and the weakness of a vertical set is what A.J. loves to do: bull rush with a one-armed stab. He's able to catch me leaning a lot, catch me off guard. Early in the [2019 Michigan vs. Iowa] game, the first three or four drives, I wasn't really keying on his shoulders. He started running downhill, and I wasn't able to get my hips down and react to the bull rush."

Purdue tight end Brycen Hopkins also singled out Epenesa as one of the toughest defenders he ever faced, adding a most unusual compliment to his scouting report: "I thought he was a great player. He was physical, but at the same time he's a cool guy. He wasn't a jerk out there. ... So I thought he was a great player, great guy. He came off the ball with an explosive power."

And then there's teammate Tristan Wirfs, one of the stars of Friday night's offensive line workouts. Wirfs didn't hesitate to name Epenesa as the toughest defender he ever faced. Sure, he may be a teensy bit biased, but players rarely single out teammates when answering "toughest opponent" questions. 

"We had some battles," Wirfs said. "When I met with the Broncos, they said a scout was there [at Iowa practice] and I didn't lose to A.J. So I said, 'I'm glad you were there on that day.'"

"It goes back and forth, me and him," Wirfs added. "He was one of my best friends on the team. We will try to help each other get better. If he sees something that he beat me on, he'll tell me what he saw. And when I beat him, I tell him what I saw."

So Epenesa earned glowing endorsements from a first-round-caliber teammate and two of the guys who had to block him, and those were just the remarks we heard while making the interview rounds. If you don't believe Runyan, Hopkins and Wirfs, there's also the production across two seasons against major competition.

And also there's the tape, which shows opponents redesigning their offenses to corral him. At one point against Minnesota, for example, Epenesa was chipped by the tight end before a route, and then chipped by a running back before a route, with the left tackle backing up to engage Epenesa after he worked his way through that whole bag of chips. (It's at the 2:09 mark on this cutup.)

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

They'll probably draft one.  But the Bills scoring points is directly related to the steps forward #17 takes.

If he doesn't leave throws on the field the Bills will score plenty.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They don’t have a need at “back up rb”. More like another starter to share the load with Singletary.... and that isn’t Yeldon.. 

there will be more chances. More cuts probably too. Epanesa is great value at an old position of need....... or we use the 5 to get fournette

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Think about this: Who do we need to contain? The Chiefs and The Ravens. What do they do: Bounce out to the edge.

Having a stopgap, bull-rusher who can clamp down one side of the line is going to be very important, in our push to the SB. Not a sexy pick, but a wise pick of great value.

Hopefully, we shall see

• Thank you (+1) 1

I would describe Epenesa as "plodding." Definitely not a dynamic pass rusher (otherwise wouldn't have been available here). I am not a fan.

For those talking about RB-- I loved Dobbins, but knew the Bills wouldn't address the position in the 2nd round

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  

Where do we need an upgrade on offense?  Why are people so freaking out about offense? 

Not upgrade but we can use a complimentary player at RB to go with Devin. Easily acquired through FA. I get a feeling Fournette or Hyde will be a Bill soon.

• Like (+1) 2