RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

Lance Zierlein:

Bio:

A.J. is a legacy player at Iowa, following his father, Eppy. The athleticism he showed in high school allowed him to make his own name, however. Epenesa (.....) scored over 1,000 career points in basketball and won back-to-back state discus throw titles. Hawkeyes coaches put their highly regarded recruit in the rotation as a true freshman, and he recorded 15 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks in 13 games. Epenesa did not start any games in his sophomore season, either, behind veterans Parker Hesse and Anthony Nelson. He still garnered second-team All-Big Ten honors, though, by leading the Big Ten with 10.5 sacks and topping Iowa's defense with 16.5 tackles for loss (among 37 total) and four forced fumbles. As a junior, Epenesa came on strong at the end of the year, receiving second-team Associated Press All-American and first-team all-conference accolades with 49 tackles, 14.5 for loss, and 11.5 sacks along with four forced fumbles in 13 starts.

Scouting report:

Overview
The size and production should force all evaluators to dial their focus in on what he's best at rather than any perceived areas of concern. He has average instincts against the run and is a step slow to shed, but he's strong at the point and he does his job. Epenesa won't just out-run tackles to the edge, but he's a skilled rusher whose diversity of attack, skilled hands and unique bull-rushing instincts could help him deliver his college sack production in the pros. He can play end in a 4-3 or 3-4 and could leap from good to great with additional work on technique and explosiveness.
Strengths
  • Excellent size with desired combo of length and power
  • Impressive production in high-impact stat columns
  • Has tools of the trade to set a strong edge
  • Hips unlock for long, lateral slides down the line
  • Spills B-gap runs wide
  • Surprising first-step explosion for his length/mass
  • Rush attack is already varied and toolsy
  • Runs under his inside hand to lift and dump over-setting tackles
  • Can flip around edge or hit second-step slide to win inside
  • Uses two-hand swipe and stab/power chop to grease the edge
  • Times-up arm swipes with pass attempt to create strip-sacks
Weaknesses
  • Sluggish to gather and change direction
  • Below-average lower-body bend as an end
  • Needs more consistent technique against double teams
  • Below-average reactive athleticism to finish moving targets
  • Needs quicker read/response for contain duties
  • Can be gradual getting rid of blockers
  • Speed rush is below average
  • Could struggle early against quick-setting NFL tackles
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Hardhatharry said:

We have a RB... You don't spend multiple high draft picks for RBs... This isn't the ***** Bills.

so you spend a 2nd on a backup DE??

Dobbins is better than Motor, and you need two RB’s today. 

Taking a limited ceiling guy like we did is awful.  

• Haha (+1) 1

My thoughts....

i saw him as BPA where  thry drafted

unsure if he will be Shaw Lawson or a better pass rusher.  This was a 2nd rather than a 1st so there isn’t that impact pressure.

i think another big factor...it’s harder to get DE pass rusher in 3rd/4th than it is to get a RB or WR..

buffalo could trade up in the 3rd to get someone.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It also continues the theme from last year...... the only guy who the Bills took wasn't top 6 BPA on my board last year (apart from the 7th rounders) was Singletary who I had at #16 BPA I think as I recall.

Epenesa was my #4 BPA.

LOL. Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, Knox, Epenesa, Ford were all need picks.  The only one that may have not been a need was Singletary.  

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Lance Zierlein:

Bio:

A.J. is a legacy player at Iowa, following his father, Eppy. The athleticism he showed in high school allowed him to make his own name, however. Epenesa was a three-time high school All-American and first-team All-State pick in football (wearing jersey No. 99 to emulate J.J. Watt), scored over 1,000 career points in basketball and won back-to-back state discus throw titles. Hawkeyes coaches put their highly regarded recruit in the rotation as a true freshman, and he recorded 15 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks in 13 games. Epenesa did not start any games in his sophomore season, either, behind veterans Parker Hesse and Anthony Nelson. He still garnered second-team All-Big Ten honors, though, by leading the Big Ten with 10.5 sacks and topping Iowa's defense with 16.5 tackles for loss (among 37 total) and four forced fumbles. As a junior, Epenesa came on strong at the end of the year, receiving second-team Associated Press All-American and first-team all-conference accolades with 49 tackles, 14.5 for loss, and 11.5 sacks along with four forced fumbles in 13 starts.

Scouting report:

Overview
The size and production should force all evaluators to dial their focus in on what he's best at rather than any perceived areas of concern. He has average instincts against the run and is a step slow to shed, but he's strong at the point and he does his job. Epenesa won't just out-run tackles to the edge, but he's a skilled rusher whose diversity of attack, skilled hands and unique bull-rushing instincts could help him deliver his college sack production in the pros. He can play end in a 4-3 or 3-4 and could leap from good to great with additional work on technique and explosiveness.
Strengths
  • Excellent size with desired combo of length and power
  • Impressive production in high-impact stat columns
  • Has tools of the trade to set a strong edge
  • Hips unlock for long, lateral slides down the line
  • Spills B-gap runs wide
  • Surprising first-step explosion for his length/mass
  • Rush attack is already varied and toolsy
  • Runs under his inside hand to lift and dump over-setting tackles
  • Can flip around edge or hit second-step slide to win inside
  • Uses two-hand swipe and stab/power chop to grease the edge
  • Times-up arm swipes with pass attempt to create strip-sacks
Weaknesses
  • Sluggish to gather and change direction
  • Below-average lower-body bend as an end
  • Needs more consistent technique against double teams
  • Below-average reactive athleticism to finish moving targets
  • Needs quicker read/response for contain duties
  • Can be gradual getting rid of blockers
  • Speed rush is below average
  • Could struggle early against quick-setting NFL tackles

all the negatives are not things that can be “coached out.”.   okay rd 3 pick.  not an impact player that can be a playmaker on a consistent basis like we needed.  

High floor... but low ceiling in my opinion. I think he'll be solid, but not double digit sack guy. Crazy strong. But too slow to be a dynamic pass rusher. I have mixed feelings about this pick. My initial reaction was to groan when i saw the pick.

But, Beane is the GM of an nfl franchise. I'm just a dude who loves football. I want to be wrong. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2