Is Tua Johnny Manziel 2.0?

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Let’s look at the facts. Both players benefitted from STAR OT’s in college. Both players benefitted from STAR WR’s. Tua has even better players than Johnny.

If the Emperor loses his clothes, is he really just a Johnny Manziel without the cool nickname?

I mean how easy he had it is definitely something to think about. I remember in 2018 training camp people talking about how good A.J. McArron could be because of all those college championships he'd won just like the guys before and after him.

Manziel's best play was running around until a WR got wide open... it wasn't sitting in the pocket.

Tua runs when he as to, not the other way around.

Tua >>>>> Manziel

Manziel had bust written all over him... That's why the only ppl interested in him was Cleveland and Jerry Jones.

These two have nothing in common.  Tua is by all accounts a very good natural leader, has incredible accuracy and vision, and a family oriented young man.

Manzeil is a self inflated party boy who had everything handed to him and didn’t put in the work, not to mention has an addictions problem.  I know this is not just a matter of self restraint, but just as the word states, an addiction.  He brought his problems on himself.

As much as Ill never root for the Phish, I do hope Tua has a solid career in football.

• Like (+1) 2

Just watching him before the injury he reminded me and looked like Steve Young.  Left handed qb with amazing accuracy at all levels.  If he stays healthy I think the Bengals will regret passing on him.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, hjnick said:

Manziel's best play was running around until a WR got wide open... it wasn't sitting in the pocket.

Tua runs when he as to, not the other way around.

Tua >>>>> Manziel

Manziel had bust written all over him... That's why the only ppl interested in him was Cleveland and Jerry Jones.

Yes, so the comparison should be between Hurts and Manziel.  Hurts was the Alabama version of Manziel who was a threat to run but was not as accurate throwing the ball (but often did not need to be because receivers were open).  Alabama switched to Tua because he is more accurate and even though he had great receivers, if you watch the games he would hit the right receiver and in stride.  He's quite different from Manziel and Hurts.

• Like (+1) 1

Tua isnt a headcase but he is the product of a good team and great players. The problem with Tua and Burrow is that they rely on their arm and the talent at WR, and slower backfields in college. What I saw out of those two is poor traditional mechanics that JA flashes sometimes. When JA doesnt set his feet he throws errant passes that he either gets bailed out by his receivers or they're picked/incomplete. 

That said, Herbert shows good poise and mechanics. Sets his feet and uses his body to deliver the ball, even on roll outs.

20 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Manziel was Doug Flutie on drugs...

The most important people on the Dolphins will be their trainer and doctor.

The first time Oliver rings the Tua bell he will be running home to mom's house.

NB, I’m not saying I disagree he has a risk of getting hurt, but he has faced defenses in the SEC for years and that is by far the toughest division in college ball.  Just think about how many defensive players will be drafted from the SEC over three days.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

Let’s look at the facts. Both players benefitted from STAR OT’s in college. Both players benefitted from STAR WR’s. Tua has even better players than Johnny.

Hear that a lot about Tua.  Why don't people say that about Burrow (1 year wonder at stacked LSU)?

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

If the Emperor loses his clothes, is he really just a Johnny Manziel without the cool nickname?

I think he’s closer to being  R Wilson 2.0  but I hope I’m wrong 

Ok, it’s really early in the morning for me ️ but I’ll give it a try.

He’s a good player. The Dolphins got a good one. I actually really like Burrow, Tua and Herbert as I think this is actually a very good draft class for QBs. I thought Tua shoulda went #2 overall so I think Miami did well here. He’s going to a team that is neglect of talent though and I don’t think Miami has the FO and coaching staff to threaten the Bills. Tua is very decent though. Sit him on the bench behind Fitzpatrick for a year n let him learn and his body heal up. Should be a good player for a long time. I thought the rest of their draft sucked though.

33 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

NB, I’m not saying I disagree he has a risk of getting hurt, but he has faced defenses in the SEC for years and that is by far the toughest division in college ball.  Just think about how many defensive players will be drafted from the SEC over three days.

Your point is valid, except look at the results...injury, injury, injury...when he faces real defences each week...mom's house will look good.

7 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean how easy he had it is definitely something to think about. I remember in 2018 training camp people talking about how good A.J. McArron could be because of all those college championships he'd won just like the guys before and after him.

AJ had a better OL, maybe the best ever, AND a much better defense that the 2019 Crimson Tide.

Nothing to see here.

42 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hear that a lot about Tua.  Why don't people say that about Burrow (1 year wonder at stacked LSU)?

Because the Dolphins didn't draft him.

NB, no disagreement.  I was listening to Nick Saban yesterday morning, and the impact by the Dolphins, the AFCE, and even the history of college ball with the Pfish being afraid to clear Brees, so Saban goes to Bama.  College ball could have been significantly different, Saban and Brees squaring off twice a year against BB and Brady for the last 14 years.

It was interesting the Miami reporter was on the Opening Drive yesterday, and said Steven Ross only had one playoff appearance since he bought the team in 2009, and is turning 80 next month.  His net worth is $7.6 billion ranking 4th of all owners.  You know he told his management to swing for the fences with Tua.  There is an argument that even if Tua only lasts 6 years, but is stellar like he was in college, it would be worth it to South Florida.  It would be kind of fun to start seeing the Pats lose each year to Buffalo and Miami eventually.  Miami spent $235 mil. In free agency in 2020, and still has more than enough $ for UDFA, and even any free agents they want and maneuver their cap like a Clowney, or whoever.

I am no Fins fan at all as I remember my dad and grandfather bitching how they beat us for the entire decade in the 1970’s.  It will be nice to see a very different AFCE with hopefully us leading the charge to start taking the division the next couple of years.  How much fun will it be to see a wildcard team and division winner in the playoffs without the name Patriots on the list.  ??

• Like (+1) 1

Tua’s issue isn’t his attitude, but rather that his body has been broken repeatedly,  iirc, both ankles, his throwing side wrist, and his hip, those being the known major injuries, he is either unlucky or he is fragile, if he is indeed fragile he isn’t going to last long before he’s sidelined. He may not make it through his first game, because we all know that every D line/ blitzing player will be going for those target areas.  That and he’s short and has tiny hands, ?

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

AJ had a better OL, maybe the best ever, AND a much better defense that the 2019 Crimson Tide.

Nothing to see here.

Because the Dolphins didn't draft him.

Exactly.  Saying a player's greatness needs to recalibrated because of the great players around him never makes much sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

Not even close totally different attitudes and character, that was Manziels downfall..he is was probably still is a cocky POS as a human being and that got in his way. He didnt have a drive to be a great football player he had a drive to be popular and famous and was a HEY LOOK AT ME!!!!! guy.. Tua isnt. Only thing holding him back IMO is that he truly may never be the same after that injury and he has been prone to injury..so IMO what will hold him back? Injuries, injury prone.. but surely NOT what held Mainzel back which was a bad attitude and not wanting to be the best.

• Like (+1) 1

If the OP's point is that both players benefitted from a strong supporting cast, the point is valid.  That's about the only thing they have in common though.  Oh yeah, they're also short.

9 hours ago, Warcodered said:

AJ was never close to Tua. I love Bama football and they aren’t in the same league in my opinion. AJ had more yards over his career simply because he played four years. Tua holds all the other records...single game, season and career. 

Tua has drive, is highly accurate, has the same ‘win at all costs’ mentality that Josh has and is a student of the game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Just watching him before the injury he reminded me and looked like Steve Young.  Left handed qb with amazing accuracy at all levels.  If he stays healthy I think the Bengals will regret passing on him.

That accuracy is why I think he's going to be a superstar.

From Kelly vs. Marino to Allen vs. Tagovailoa.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I agree. He doesn't have Young's running ability, but if he stays reasonably healthy he'll be a good one. How quickly people forget that 1/3 of the NFL was ready to Tank for Tua a couple years ago.

• Like (+1) 2

No a big fan of Tua.   Think he is a great kid, but his arm strength more than his injury worries me when it comes to the NFL.

Has a hell of a touch but if the Dolphins start asking him to throw outs Id be worried he doesnt have enough to get it to the hash.  

Clearly a winner, but not sure he is an NFL QB.

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

AJ was never close to Tua. I love Bama football and they aren’t in the same league in my opinion. AJ had more yards over his career simply because he played four years. Tua holds all the other records...single game, season and career. 

Tua has drive, is highly accurate, has the same ‘win at all costs’ mentality that Josh has and is a student of the game. 

Tua in the AFCE seriously concerns me. Our best hope may be The Fitzy Curse!  Tua seems like he may be susceptible to the dark magic. :)

Not that I EVER want anyone to get hurt, but.....

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Tua just had 2 of his receivers go in the top 15. Bamas Oline is always stout. It is a fair question. Its easy to look good when you have a great team around you....ie Tebow. Not to mention his past injuries.

This is a good point. He is accurate but geez that offense is stacked. 

14 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Tua just had 2 of his receivers go in the top 15. Bamas Oline is always stout. It is a fair question. Its easy to look good when you have a great team around you....ie Tebow. Not to mention his past injuries.

Keep in mind Tua has been doing the same thing since he was a true freshman.  Also,  Hurts was a returning national championship winning QB in Tua's freshman year and fans were calling for Tua to start half way through the season because he was that much better than Jalen Hurts.  I say that to note that Hurts who will be drafted as a QB had the same players/talent around him and did not look no where near as good as Tua.

If you are talking about Tebow in college that is not true because he WAS the reason Florida was so successful.  Tebow in the NFL is a different story but if Tebow is not playing for UF they do not win a championship.

Edited by Iverwig

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

not close.

who knows where tuas career goes but it wont be boozing it up in strip clubs and making an ass out of himself like the clown johnny "so called" football.

Johnny 's nickname should be "foot in mouth" not "football". 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Manziel wasnt a professional.  He partied his way out of the league.  Tua wont do that imo.  Maybe he gets hurt, most likley he is a hard worker and becomes a good player.  Manziel was all potential no work ethic. 

He also lived off 50/50 balls to Evans.  Tua throws with accuracy and anticipation.

I do not think that Tua will be an all-star but I think the comparison is absurd mainly due to mentality of the two off the field. Manziel was a bust and a tire fire for Cleveland while Tua will not be a tire fire even if he is never healthy for more than a few games at a time.